Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (178) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2043345 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) ... (1679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dicksonadams(m): 7:31am On Oct 13, 2016
I have e great respect for Dmerciful the guy Na scholar grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 8:23am On Oct 13, 2016
just from experience breaker between cc & batr i think is by choice. i was calld upon to look at a fault on solar installatn & i met burnt cc. after measurement d only thing i noticed was d breaker. i changed cc, remove breaker, connect batr to cc wt thicker cable. up till today over 2yrs now no issue. observation: cc, breaker was properly sized. my take: never install something to avert a risk to create bigger risk. breaker between cc/batr is by choice.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 9:03am On Oct 13, 2016
idsolar:
just from experience breaker between cc & batr i think is by choice. i was calld upon to look at a fault on solar installatn & i met burnt cc. after measurement d only thing i noticed was d breaker. i changed cc, remove breaker, connect batr to cc wt thicker cable. up till today over 2yrs now no issue. observation: cc, breaker was properly sized. my take: never install something to avert a risk to create bigger risk. breaker between cc/batr is by choice.

I concur. Indeed, I had a breaker trip off once between the battery bank and CC. Sizing issues. Fortunatley, the CC was a Midnite Classic 150 so it survived without harm.

By the same measure, I've heard of burnt inverters, exploding batteries (one can never be sure of the cause of those things) and molten cables in scenarios of no breaker between the CC/Inverter and Bank. If you know what you're doing, either scenario is suitable but if you're not sure, have someone have a look rather than removing the breaker altogether. It as well allows you to service individual components/devices easier.

There's an easy work around, especially in off-grid installations where the inverter is almost always on. The breaker is where it shoud be but there's no direct link between the CC and Battery bank. The flow chart is PV => breakers => CC=> breaker => Inverter => breaker => battery bank. That way, even when the inverter -> bank breaker fries, the CC -> inverter connection ensures adequate power pull from the CC to keep it from popping, no matter how small the power drain is. I have never had issues with this kind of installation though it might have a hidden flaw.

Secondly, for high power users, it shortens overall cable requirements in length and consequently thickness since during the day when energy demands are highest, most of the power is supplied straight from the CC. In addition, Inverter gets power before batteries (shorter path of energy flow) thus lowering rate of tripping of either the inverter or breakers. In periods of surge demand, power is gotten in this manner

CC <= Inverter => Battery bank

thereby splitting the power drawn.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:27am On Oct 13, 2016
guys,

just a page from the morningstar mppt 60 manual:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 9:50am On Oct 13, 2016
It could trip due to faulty breaker, someone can go there when you're not around. You urself can trip it mistakenly. The breaker btw CC and battery in reality offers no protection but risk!
The reason is that most of these CC are MOSFET powered and MOSFET have low tolerance of static charge. If the breaker for any reason trips and sunlight is present, there in no negative that would have acted as sink or path way for the voltage being generated. Same thing applies to some inverter, if a breaker must be installed it should have a pretty high amp rating so it doesn't trip when there is mains....your power MOSFET may fry
battleaxe:

Why would it trip during a sunny time as you mentioned above?

I'm assuming it's because of an increased production I.e. Current at that point in time.

If your breaker is correctly sized at or above the rated capacity of your CC; why would you not want it to trip when it's seeing more current than its rated for?

That's its job! Again, if properly sized, the benefits to having a breaker there outweigh the possible risks to not having it there.

We sometimes may never be able to comprehend what damage those 6k items save us from!

N.B.: Note taken that if you have a breaker between your PV and combiner, it possibly should have tripped already based on your scenario above so CC should be all safe.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 9:52am On Oct 13, 2016
Thanks...we are all learning. Green for life grin
dicksonadams:
I have e great respect for Dmerciful the guy Na scholar grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 10:59am On Oct 13, 2016
oneshowguy:
Long Battery the official vendor to Schneider electric has officially launched its batteries into nigeria at the just concluded power nigeria exhibition.
limited units of sample orders now available for your POC

Nominal Capacity: 12v 200Ah
80% DOD:550 cycles.
weight: 62kg
warranty:1 year
Sir, what's the price?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 11:02am On Oct 13, 2016
efuro:

thanx OGA Chris, the mppt has been installed & it is working fine.
thank you for the advice on cable gauge and breakers.
I appreciate you & sir frankee.
My pleasure @efuro. Glad you are enjoying it

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by coolchifx(m): 11:30am On Oct 13, 2016
You can make as much as N40k on your 200Ah used, bad/condemned inverter batteries. call or what app -08125203137 0r 08038105574(T&C apply)

Other Prices (Inverter Batteries)
150Ah - N25,000
100Ah - N18,000

For 2v (ATM) Batteries
1500Ah - N65,000
1000Ah - N40,000
500Ah - N18,000

For Car/ Trailer Batteries:
200 Ah - N28,000
100 Ah - N12000
75Ah - N8000
65Ah - N7500
45Ah - N5000

For Ups Batteries:

17Ah- N1500
12Ah - N1000
9Ah - N700

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by azz19: 11:49am On Oct 13, 2016
azz19:
pls I need some practical advise on how to protect one's system from the effects of lightning I heard it can destroy everything within few seconds.
kindly help comment on this.
cc:kiekie1
battleaxe
Dmerciful
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 12:10pm On Oct 13, 2016
You can install a surge protector just after the breaker btw the PV and CC. Depending on the height of ur installation u might install a lightning arester
azz19:

kindly help comment on this.
cc:kiekie1
battleaxe
Dmerciful
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bomeri(m): 1:18pm On Oct 13, 2016
idsolar:
1. SUKAM 1.4KVA FOR SALE:
1.4kva sukam. 1yr 5month used. for sale due to upgrade.

2. solar charge controller (new). 12/24v 30amp.
call 08033735359 now

How much?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 3:01pm On Oct 13, 2016
Good day guys! Anybody in the house with 24v BLS? Costs? Seems my batteries are feeling the" change" on going in the country! smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojesymsym: 3:35pm On Oct 13, 2016
Could you explain d design, process flow, d constituents and probable cost estimates for each?
Thanks in advance.
JohnKester:

I have the 300 liters mounted on my rooftop and centrally connected to all the bathrooms and kitchen! I can tell you that the water sometimes gets very hot and you have to be careful with the mixer so that your skin does not get scalded.

Imagine the cost of running gas cooker to boil hot water, or the cost to fuel the generator so your heaters can run. This is what I call green living. No need to worry about hot water except of course during those periods in the rainy season when it rains continuously for several days in a row.

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 4:58pm On Oct 13, 2016
GeorgeD1:
guys,

The same warning comes with virtually every other charge controller. Thanks for the documented emphasis.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 2:21pm On Oct 14, 2016
DMerciful:
Why will the CC short circuit?'its an advance technology remember! Its has inbuilt protection
A properly designed system has layers of protection. Also remember protection priority is to first protect lives and property before protection equipment. Have *properly* sized breakers between each component of your off grid is highly recommended. CC are electrical component and even though they come built in with safety breakers.. It often recommended to have another breaker between pv and cc and cc and pv. If the battery were to get short circuited.. breaker protect the cc from battery. If cc short circuits (And it happens - google it) the breaker will protect the battery.

If the breaker between the cc and the battery trips (usually for a good reason) the worst thing is your cc is fried.

The alternative of not having a breaker between your cc and battery is, if cc short circuits.. then the recursion is much worse. Its like have the positives and negative of your battery in contact. Bad things happen.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anochuks08(m): 2:29pm On Oct 14, 2016
bigrovar:
A properly designed system has layers of protection. Also remember protection priority is to first protect lives and property before protection equipment. Have *properly* sized breakers between each component of your off grid is highly recommended. CC are electrical component and even though they come built in with safety breakers.. It often recommended to have another breaker between pv and cc and cc and pv. If the battery were to get short circuited.. breaker protect the cc from battery. If cc short circuits (And it happens - google it) the breaker will protect the battery.

If the breaker between the cc and the battery trips (usually for a good reason) the worst thing is your cc is fried.

The alternative of not having a breaker between your cc and battery is, if cc short circuits.. then the recursion is much worse. Its like have the positives and negative of your battery in contact. Bad things happen.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 4:58pm On Oct 14, 2016
bigrovar:

Couldn't have said it better. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 6:39pm On Oct 14, 2016
Learnt something now...double pole breakers ensures the PV and battery are disconnected simultaneously thus avoiding d risk I mentioned earlier which is battery side tripping and PV side still energised. This makes more sense.
GeorgeD1:
guys,

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 6:41pm On Oct 14, 2016
Upgraded my panels from 750W to 1000W.....gradually I'm getting there. Green for life cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 7:33pm On Oct 14, 2016
DMerciful:
Upgraded my panels from 750W to 1000W.....gradually I'm getting there. Green for life cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Cool!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 8:48pm On Oct 14, 2016
DMerciful:
Learnt something now...double pole breakers ensures the PV and battery are disconnected simultaneously thus avoiding d risk I mentioned earlier which is battery side tripping and PV side still energised. This makes more sense.

Please upload picture of an example of double pole breaker? I've been looking for it since and I'm confused if a DC breaker with +ve and -ve pole can be used in place by making positive pole for battery to inverter connection, negative pole for cc to solar array.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 6:17am On Oct 15, 2016
Double pole breakers are basically 2 breakers mechanically connected so they trip same time. So if one line of the PV circuit and one line of the battery circuit is connected to each breaker, they trip same time.
mank1234:

Please upload picture of an example of double pole breaker? I've been looking for it since and I'm confused if a DC breaker with +ve and -ve pole can be used in place by making positive pole for battery to inverter connection, negative pole for cc to solar array.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Monlo(m): 7:06am On Oct 15, 2016
DMerciful:

My oga,i see you oooooo.I hail thee,you inspire me alot.One love,Green RE Rules.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 7:44am On Oct 15, 2016
DMerciful:
Double pole breakers are basically 2 breakers mechanically connected so they trip same time. So if one line of the PV circuit and one line of the battery circuit is connected to each breaker, they trip same time.

Thanks. How can I get the mechanical connector. I want to tie 2 2-pole circuit breaker together?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by battleaxe: 7:56am On Oct 15, 2016
Double pole breakers can be bought as is off the shelf. Not a regular item on the corner shop but you should be able to get if you ask around, maybe they buy it specially from you.

Dmerciful,
So if PV and battery are connected to either side of the DP breaker, where does the CC fit in? Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 8:14am On Oct 15, 2016
I have seen up to 3 pole breaker. CC to battery on one breaker(one cable only preferable +ve) while PV to CC on the other breaker also one line only preferably the +ve. If one line in a two line circuit is disconnected, its enough to open d circuit
battleaxe:
Double pole breakers can be bought as is off the shelf. Not a regular item on the corner shop but you should be able to get if you ask around, maybe they buy it specially from you.

Dmerciful,
So if PV and battery are connected to either side of the DP breaker, where does the CC fit in? Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 8:18am On Oct 15, 2016
They are available on aliexpress.com...just search for two pole breakers. You van also get multiple
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FZ47LE-63-C63-AC-400V-63A-Two-Pole-On-Off-Switch-Mini-Circuit-Breaker-4000A/32332213418.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.102.4oxvv9&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_10065_10056_10068_10055_10054_10069_10059_10078_10079_10073_10017_10080_10070_10082_10081_421_420_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_7&btsid=23ee2156-1dc8-431f-ad38-7efa937ad056
mank1234:

Thanks. How can I get the mechanical connector. I want to tie 2 2-pole circuit breaker together?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:05am On Oct 15, 2016
battleaxe:

Dmerciful,

Majority of 2 pole breakers are AC ... You can actually improvise by using ² DC breakers of same amperages.. Thanks !!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 11:32am On Oct 15, 2016
Wish these clouds could disappear...affecting my harvest grin grin grin

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 11:40am On Oct 15, 2016
Would you be kind enuf to tell us the difference?
kiekie1:

Majority of 2 pole breakers are AC ... You can actually improvise by using ² DC breakers of same amperages.. Thanks !!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 12:09pm On Oct 15, 2016
DMerciful:
Would you be kind enuf to tell us the difference?

DC circuit breaker, like their name suggests, is used for the protection of electrical devices that operate with direct current. The main difference between direct current and alternating current is that in DC the voltage output is constant, while in AC it cycles several times per second. smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) ... (1679) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Andreiy65, mctfopt, BlueStripper and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.