Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,187 members, 7,780,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:54 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (194) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (1989532 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) ... (1633) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dejidotun2000(m): 2:17pm On Dec 14, 2016
haslaw:
I need some clarification please.
While browsing some inverters online the other time, I came across a type of hybrid solar Inverters with inbuilt MPPT charge controller. Looking at the specifications closely, I found out that these types of inverters are cheaper to install as a single unit instead of buying additional MPPT charge controller in a solar/inverter system.
My question is, why are these types of inverters not popular among inverter installers
I use one such inverter, it has been working fine but with minor issues; There is a power saving feature which is supposed to turn the inverter off if the connected load is low or zero.whenever I enable that feature the inverter output begins to rapidly switch on and off; I have not been able to realize more than 280W from an installed capacity of 600W solae panels, there is a voltage drop of 2v between the solar panels and the inverter though so I really can't assume the fault is from the 500W inbuilt mppt charger yet.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 3:01pm On Dec 14, 2016
haslaw:

Thanks... I just wondered when I considered the price of the hybrid inverter with inbuilt MPPT charge controller as against the prices of both ordinary inverter and a separate MPPT charge controller. The prices is nearly twice when buying them separately.

Charge controllers generate a large amount of heat. So does the AC charger inside the inverter. I want to minimize the heat sources inside my inverter, hence I prefer an external controller. Also I am not limited to the voltage and amount of watts I can hang by the controller within the inverter.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 4:39pm On Dec 14, 2016
kiekie1:
A month used 5kva century stabilizers up for sale ! 15k each ...

SOLD wink
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by haslaw(m): 5:16pm On Dec 14, 2016
dejidotun2000:

I use one such inverter, it has been working fine but with minor issues; There is a power saving feature which is supposed to turn the inverter off if the connected load is low or zero.whenever I enable that feature the inverter output begins to rapidly switch on and off; I have not been able to realize more than 280W from an installed capacity of 600W solae panels, there is a voltage drop of 2v between the solar panels and the inverter though so I really can't assume the fault is from the 500W inbuilt mppt charger yet.

A voltage drop of up to 2v is high and will definitely lead to loses. Could it be that the cables from the solar panels to inverter are undesired
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dejidotun2000(m): 5:27pm On Dec 14, 2016
haslaw:

A voltage drop of up to 2v is high and will definitely lead to loses. Could it be that the cables from the solar panels to inverter are undesired
I am pretty certain that the cable is undersized for that application, its 8AWG. I intend to run one more length of 8AWG cable in parallel with the existing one.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 6:42pm On Dec 14, 2016
chris81964:

Charge controllers generate a large amount of heat. So does the AC charger inside the inverter. I want to minimize the heat sources inside my inverter, hence I prefer an external controller. Also I am not limited to the voltage and amount of watts I can hang by the controller within the inverter.

Most of them are transformer less. There by eliminating heat, the sunny island inverters are the best but unfortunately also very expensive.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 8:46pm On Dec 14, 2016
haslaw:

Thanks... I just wondered when I considered the price of the hybrid inverter with inbuilt MPPT charge controller as against the prices of both ordinary inverter and a separate MPPT charge controller. The prices is nearly twice when buying them separately.

haslaw,
i think the question really should be, what is the conversion efficiency of these built in charge controllers?
i personally like to think that you cannot be a jack of all trades so i tend to avoid products which try to deliver
so many functions all in one. experience has taught me that there's always a trade off.

unless we can find a way of comparing the performances of the separate functions and can confirm that they
are indeed at par with their stand alone counterparts, i think savvy peeps will still prefer to go for products
that will deliver reliable performance while giving the high efficiency most sought after.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 11:09pm On Dec 14, 2016
GeorgeD1:

haslaw,
i think the question really should be, what is the conversion efficiency of these built in charge controllers?
i personally like to think that you cannot be a jack of all trades so i tend to avoid products which try to deliver
so many functions all in one. experience has taught me that there's always a trade off.

unless we can find a way of comparing the performances of the separate functions and can confirm that they
are indeed at par with their stand alone counterparts, i think savvy peeps will still prefer to go for products
that will deliver reliable performance while giving the high efficiency most sought after.

Spot on GeorgeD, there's a reason despite hybrid being cheap, single unit remains expensive n refuse to drop in price. They r nt foolish.... My 2cent

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NairaBaba: 7:41am On Dec 15, 2016
Good morning house,

I hail all gurus in the house, I urgently need to get Midnite solar surge protector. My solar system was commissioned yesterday without surge protector. Please where in Lagos especially around Ikeja can I get midnite surge protector 115v and 300v.

Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by haslaw(m): 7:42am On Dec 15, 2016
chris81964:

There is a cooling system in the hybrid inverter such as fans and cooling fins that fairly takes care of the heat generated same as the non-hybrid. Most of these hybrid inbuilt MPPT charge controller have high MPPT like 60A, 70A or even 80A. That should be enough for future expansions.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 8:10am On Dec 15, 2016
GeorgeD1:

haslaw,

Yet sunny island inverters are the longest lasting inverters? Its like saying a manual car will beat the best automatic car but bugarti is an automatic. Technology is ever involving...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 8:44am On Dec 15, 2016
Just like complexities in living things where a kidney failure can cause the failure of the entire body so it is for a system that combines almost all functions. a failure in one section on the unit can render everything useless grin. Besides i like the flexibility i enjoy with separate unit blocks......especially for renewable enthusiast like myself who loves trying new things cheesy cheesy cheesy
Longevity of inverter depends on usage conditions like loading, surges, stabilizer protection etc. A solid inverter can fail prematurely if abuse.....fyi non of my inverters have failed...all functions intact.
tivta:

Yet sunny island inverters are the longest lasting inverters? Its like saying a manual car will beat the best automatic car but bugarti is an automatic. Technology is ever involving...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by haslaw(m): 9:10am On Dec 15, 2016
GeorgeD1:

haslaw,

Thanks George, but when you look at it, there is no device that doesn't have some sort of trade off. Even the stand alone inverters still has its own peculiar drawbacks. Peeps not using hybrid have not been able to give any real reason for not liking hybrid.

I think the biggest issue is peeps not wanting to try new things and would rather stick to what they are already used to. We still have people who stick to their noisy generators than buy use inverters.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 9:17am On Dec 15, 2016
haslaw:

There is a cooling system in the hybrid inverter such as fans and cooling fins that fairly takes care of the heat generated same as the non-hybrid. Most of these hybrid inbuilt MPPT charge controller have high MPPT like 60A, 70A or even 80A. That should be enough for future expansions.

We have installed inverters with and without controllers. My personal inverter has two large fans to keep the components cool. The HF hybrid with a much smaller form factor also has two fans to perform the same function in addition to cooling a charge controller. If you have any experience with charge controllers they generate an intense amount of heat. The Schneider MPPT 150 60 has a huge heat sink that radiates a great deal of heat (you can't keep your hands on it for extended periods). The FM60 has a single fan while the FM80 has two. If you want to believe that a single unit will be as effective at removing heat as two separate units, go for it.
We had a fan failure in one the hybrids and the chassis of the inverter go so hot that we were afraid it would catch on fire. I can't imagine pushing 60 to 80 amps through one of these devices.

I have attached pictures of controllers and the inverter. The form factor of these HF inverters limit what you can do within it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by CoolKizzy(m): 12:44pm On Dec 15, 2016
please house, someone is convincing me to go for a locally constructed inverter. how safe is it? and does it affect health and duration of the batteries? I'm not using solar, just charging with mains and generator. what are the pros and cons of such inverter? a 3000w inverter.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 1:36pm On Dec 15, 2016
CoolKizzy:
please house, someone is convincing me to go for a locally constructed inverter. how safe is it? and does it affect health and duration of the batteries? I'm not using solar, just charging with mains and generator. what are the pros and cons of such inverter? a 3000w inverter.

f**king run!.
not a good idea, usually doesnt end well, for the owner/battteries/inverter
fire, overcharging, under charging, runaway charging, losses, heat, smoke etc, are terms you will get accustomed to when using locally fabricated inverters
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 6:12pm On Dec 15, 2016
Dont go for locally made inverter as their charging system is most atimes poor and will ruin your batteries within a short time. Go for foreign known brands and they are all-in-all cheaper. This is not the time to be patriotic or politically correct!
CoolKizzy:
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 8:27pm On Dec 15, 2016
haslaw:

Thanks George, but when you look at it, there is no device that doesn't have some sort of trade off. Even the stand alone inverters still has its own peculiar drawbacks. Peeps not using hybrid have not been able to give any real reason for not liking hybrid.
I think the biggest issue is peeps not wanting to try new things and would rather stick to what they are already used to. We still have people who stick to their noisy generators than buy use inverters.

haslaw,
we could go back and forth on this topic but I think the bottom line still bothers on efficiency.
how do these hybrid inverters compare to their stand alone counterparts in terms of conversion efficiency?
until we begin to see hard empirical data, all we will be doing is argue based on emotions.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 8:40pm On Dec 15, 2016
coolkizzy,
a local made inverter nearly burnt my house several years ago. after that lucky escape I decided to stay in darkness
for almost three months while I gathered money to buy a replacement inverter. I later returned the inverter to the guy
who assembled it. I never went back to collect it to this day.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bode4real(m): 9:46pm On Dec 15, 2016
Pls which is better, ritar 12v 200AH, or new ZTE or agisson 2v 500Ah battery. Or any reliable brand on d market.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by haslaw(m): 5:57am On Dec 16, 2016
GeorgeD1:

haslaw,
we could go back and forth on this topic but I think the bottom line still bothers on efficiency.
how do these hybrid inverters compare to their stand alone counterparts in terms of conversion efficiency?
until we begin to see hard empirical data, all we will be doing is argue based on emotions.

Yeah... You are correct. I'm not for or against any type of inverter really. I just want to get advice on the type of inverter to buy as I'll be buying an inverter and charge controller next month
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 11:28am On Dec 16, 2016
haslaw:

Yeah... You are correct. I'm not for or against any type of inverter really. I just want to get advice on the type of inverter to buy as I'll be buying an inverter and charge controller next month

You can buy a Schneider SW and the charge controller that goes with it. I also have my Rich Electric Invertek Combi for sale too.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bobojoshua(m): 12:02pm On Dec 16, 2016
efuro:

u've been helpful to almost everyone.
my suggestion is to get dis type of fan. mine is ugly but does it's job. it 4yrs counting. the ba3 are long gone (9 months to it purchase) and it's of no load to inverter cos it's 35w with 15v DC adaptor.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by haslaw(m): 5:10pm On Dec 16, 2016
DMerciful:
Just like complexities in living things where a kidney failure can cause the failure of the entire body so it is for a system that combines almost all functions. a failure in one section on the unit can render everything useless grin. Besides i like the flexibility i enjoy with separate unit blocks......especially for renewable enthusiast like myself who loves trying new things cheesy cheesy cheesy
Longevity of inverter depends on usage conditions like loading, surges, stabilizer protection etc. A solid inverter can fail prematurely if abuse.....fyi non of my inverters have failed...all functions intact.

DMerciful, I'm only trying to get good advice for my upcoming solar system. My intention is to get the best inverter I can get while considering cost.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 6:12pm On Dec 16, 2016
whatsapp me on 08035415969 so i can advice better
haslaw:

DMerciful, I'm only trying to get good advice for my upcoming solar system. My intention is to get the best inverter I can get while considering cost.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by teamsynergy: 8:16pm On Dec 16, 2016
CoolKizzy:
if u wanna buy it, go for 12v system dat charges or 24 system dat doesn't charge.. although d best thing to do is charge wit solar... depending on the maker, local inverters are not that bad dis days, it has improved a lot ...buh be sure u trust d seller ... imported inverters could catch fire too... Google microtek inverters... mosfets is usually d major source of fire... make sure the place u install d inverter is well aerated and lastly be sure it has auto cutoff function when using excess load, if not, Neva over load any inverter...

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 8:31pm On Dec 16, 2016
dejidotun2000:

The power save function has kind of like a ping function. It has a minimum threshold it needs to see to function. So your energy bulbs react to that ping and come on and off. You can disable it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 6:10am On Dec 17, 2016
Just arrived Felicity Solar products.

DC freezer 200liters dc12v/ac 220v - 240k
Dc refrigerator 182liters(136litres fridge,46 litre freezer) - 250k
3.5kva inverter 24v( 35amps charging current) - 170k
5kva inverter 24v ( 45amps charging current) - 230k
5kva inverter 48v ( 30amps charging current) - 240k
7.5kva 48v (40amps chargin current) - 340k

1year warranty for Fridge nd freezer, 2 years warranty for inverters.
Office and service center available here in lagos. Hurry now while stock last.

Call us on 08117398294 or email Info@monzpowersolutions.com to order. Discount available for serious buyers.Thnks

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Papishi(m): 8:39am On Dec 17, 2016
Good morning house. I got an installer in my area, we agreed on installing a 130W pvc, 100AH solar battery, 5 DC bulbs.
But the amusing stuff was that he said we don't need charge controllers.
He also advised I use my Famcare inverter instead of sticking my plan of going DC. I need an advice house cos I don't wanna go for what I may regret.
NB: I have a plan of upgrading ma panels and maybe batteries next year.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by teamsynergy: 9:35am On Dec 17, 2016
Papishi:
Good morning house. I got an installer in my area, we agreed on installing a 130W pvc, 100AH solar battery, 5 DC bulbs.
He also advised I use my Famcare inverter instead of sticking my plan of going DC. I need an advice house cos I don't wanna go for what I may regret.
a charge controller is very important for the health of ur battery.... u nid like two of that panel to charge ur battery with 5hrs insolation...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 10:29am On Dec 17, 2016
In as much as i like providing quick info on this forum, take your time to read previous pages and be wiser for it. after reading you will find yourself calibrating the said 'installer' that said you dont need a charge controller. When i joined i went through all previous pages and i am wiser for it...thanks to all the gurus in the house.
Papishi:

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 1:26pm On Dec 17, 2016
Very true... Invest the time to read up, so you can recalibrate the installer. grin
I have one like that, always ready to argue and not willing to learn.

(1) (2) (3) ... (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) ... (1633) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: orkman(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.