Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,724 members, 7,805,968 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:22 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (212) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2038316 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) ... (1674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 8:22pm On Feb 14, 2017
mank1234:
Nice. I love this. Please can you share the link so we can get it too. Thanks in advance.

The particular variant I ordered which has 4 LEDs is nolonger in circulation... Fortunately they have been replaced by improved version of what I have. The link below has the 6 led for less than 10 dollars. About 13 dollars including shipping.
LED Solar Light Waterproof IP65 Outdoor Lighting Ultra Bright LED Solar Lamp Wall Lamps For Home Garden Corridor Decoration
http://s.aliexpress.com/JfuIJN3Y
(from AliExpress Android)

Below is a picture of my own install in action.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 8:46pm On Feb 14, 2017
Added to my cart..thanks
bigrovar:

The particular variant I ordered which has 4 LEDs is nolonger in circulation... Fortunately they have been replaced by improved version of what I have. The link below has the 6 led for less than 10 dollars. About 13 dollars including shipping.
LED Solar Light Waterproof IP65 Outdoor Lighting Ultra Bright LED Solar Lamp Wall Lamps For Home Garden Corridor Decoration

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 10:05pm On Feb 14, 2017
DMerciful:
Added to my cart..thanks
Lmao... Added to my cart before you bro...

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 12:49am On Feb 15, 2017
DMerciful:
Added to my cart..thanks
straight away
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 5:59am On Feb 15, 2017
Una don the see the secret behind my battery pampering grin.. even am away on travels.. security lights in my house do their thing.. come on at night, go off at dawn. Even the outdoor Christmas light runs on solar.. I nor fit shout..

Below are 2 crude videos I made from my phone showcasing some of the functions of the BMV victron battery monitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTvvPg_z8MI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8tkdHXoCkM

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 8:28am On Feb 15, 2017
GeorgeD1:
harveyspec,
i tend to avoid mercury products generally. a couple of years ago they had this
reputation for being substandard and that really put me off.
maybe over the years they have improved in quality but i guess first impression
lasts longest.

I'm with you on that

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 8:47am On Feb 15, 2017
bigrovar:
Una don the see the secret behind my battery pampering grin.. even am away on travels.. security lights in my house do their thing.. come on at night, go off at dawn. Even the outdoor Christmas light runs on solar.. I nor fit shout..

Below are 2 crude videos I made from my phone showcasing some of the functions of the BMV victron battery monitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTvvPg_z8MI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8tkdHXoCkM

I have an EPSolar IT6415ND 60A MPPT. Bought it for a job but retained it when the deal was cancelled. It powers security lights. All my bulbs (inside and outside) are LED (did the swap about 2 years ago; swapped out my 5 - 6 year old CFEs) but all floodlights are DC (10 - 30W LED). That way, even when the inverter goes off, they stay on (the few nights I actually use grid power and the grid still fails me). The load feature is set for 7am - 7pm so they're more or less automated too.

I have 2 infrared ones but they're retired as they rarely come on (I placed them in places with low traffic previously and found them idling perpetually).

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bobojoshua(m): 1:35pm On Feb 15, 2017
bigrovar:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by LIBSocials: 5:03pm On Feb 15, 2017
Please make una no vex, I have a stupid question.

I have a standing fan, and I'm looking to power only the standing fan with a car battery.

It's just a basic standing fan, I'm unsure of the watts.

Is this a stupid idea?

Although I have a generator, fuel consumption is too high.

How do I go about this new quest?

Do I need a brand new battery?

How do I charge the car battery?

How safe is this act?

I really need answers as the heat for my area is like suicide.

Biko EPP me
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by LIBSocials: 5:11pm On Feb 15, 2017
DMerciful:
Added to my cart..thanks

$ is 505 but i can help you make payments at 480/$

smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Monlo(m): 5:33pm On Feb 15, 2017
LIBSocials:

$ is 505 but i can help you make payments at 480/$

smiley

Lolz,you don't seem to know whom you are referring to here.Our generous scholar,@DMerciful,come buy dollar from you!Hmmmm , I call it tall order.I guess the question should be the other way round.Moreover,you seem new.Always read posts backwards,before you post next time.Enjoy

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 5:36pm On Feb 15, 2017
Monlo:

Lolz,you don't seem to know whom you are referring to here.Our generous scholar,@DMerciful,come buy dollar from you!Hmmmm , I call it tall order.I guess the question should be the other way round.Moreover,you seem new.Always read posts backwards,before you post next time.Enjoy

smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by LIBSocials: 5:37pm On Feb 15, 2017
Monlo:

Doesn't matter bro. Anybody CAN buy dollar from anyone.

LIBSocials:

I have a standing fan, and I'm looking to power only the standing fan with a car battery.

Is this a stupid idea?

How safe is this act?

Biko EPP me

See Wetin carry me come. Any tips?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 10:55pm On Feb 15, 2017
You can use the battery with a 12v inverter but know that car battery is not designed for deep cycle operation. If its a rechargeable fan that uses 12v battery, then you can connect d wires that go to d internal battery to ur car battery and there will be no need for inverter..... cheesy
LIBSocials:

Doesn't matter bro. Anybody CAN buy dollar from anyone.

See Wetin carry me come. Any tips?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by goddyior24: 11:08am On Feb 16, 2017
Good day House.
please, I wish to know whether we have positive grounding solar panels in the NIGERIA market.
How can we ground positive grounding solar charge controller correctly?. Can one use it with negative grounding panels?.
It seems BIGROVAR has a lot of experience in the solar world. I wish to tap from his expertise.
BIGROVAR, please send me your phone Number to this email address so that I can learn more from you.
Email: goddyior@yahoo.com
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dejidotun2000(m): 1:33pm On Feb 16, 2017
Solar panels are not specifically designed to be grounded using the negative terminal, the "negative terminal grounding" was just adopted in order to have a uniform standard.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EnigmaticEnigma(m): 1:52pm On Feb 16, 2017
DMerciful:
You can use the battery with a 12v inverter but know that car battery is not designed for deep cycle operation. If its a rechargeable fan that uses 12v battery, then you can connect d wires that go to d internal battery to ur car battery and there will be no need for inverter..... cheesy

Meen!! That would fry his small battery fast!!

I think a car alternator puts out 10amps, not sure though and those fan batteries are tinie tiny 7ah sad
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EnigmaticEnigma(m): 1:55pm On Feb 16, 2017
LIBSocials:

Is this a stupid idea?

How safe is this act?

Biko EPP me

Just hook up the car battery to your 12V fan (if rechargeable) and do not attempt to charge it (sorry, meant dont charge the small battery with a car) with the car running.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Expl0rers: 2:02pm On Feb 16, 2017
EnigmaticEnigma:

Just hook up the car battery to your 12V fan (if rechargeable) and do not attempt to charge it with the car running.

it's me, i got banned.

so you're saying i can directly connect the wires of the fan to the car battery? and it will work properly?

is there any way i can charge the battery without putting it in the car? i want it to just specifically work only with the fan.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Expl0rers: 2:03pm On Feb 16, 2017
DMerciful:

father father!... i dey believe you.

please i dont have an inverter at the moment.

just a car battery and the standing fan.

can this work?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EnigmaticEnigma(m): 2:10pm On Feb 16, 2017
Expl0rers:

it's me, i got banned.

so you're saying i can directly connect the wires of the fan to the car battery? and it will work properly?

Yes! If as the other poster said, it's a 12V rechargeable fan. I had one of these before I tossed it due to faulty motor and when the battery the fan came with (12V, 7Ah) died, I used one of the spare batteries (12V 100ah) I had lying around to power it. I unscrewed the compartment where the small battery in the fan is, then I disconnected the DC wires going to the small battery and put it on my bigger spare battery.

is there any way i can charge the battery without putting it in the car? i want it to just specifically work only with the fan.

dude, to charge the battery, the bigger car battery (not the small fan battery), you would need to put it in a car, or get an AC battery charger that you can plug into the wall when there is light, or you would have to get a small solar/charge controller kit to top up the battery, which you can do without an inverter.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 2:20pm On Feb 16, 2017
Any device rated 12v can use even a ship battery provided the battery is 12v. The load draws the current it is designed to draw!
EnigmaticEnigma:

Meen!! That would fry his small battery fast!!

I think a car alternator puts out 10amps, not sure though and those fan batteries are tinie tiny 7ah sad

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 2:21pm On Feb 16, 2017
what kind of standing fan? rechargeable?
Expl0rers:

father father!... i dey believe you.

please i dont have an inverter at the moment.

just a car battery and the standing fan.

can this work?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Expl0rers: 2:35pm On Feb 16, 2017
DMerciful:
what kind of standing fan? rechargeable?
no, it's not a rechargeable fan... just a low class standing fan. the only thing written on the body is 220v 50A
bought it 5 years ago
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Expl0rers: 2:36pm On Feb 16, 2017
EnigmaticEnigma:

its not a rechargeable fan
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 2:50pm On Feb 16, 2017
Then give it 220v 50hz grin grin grin grin
Expl0rers:

no, it's not a rechargeable fan... just a low class standing fan. the only thing written on the body is 220v 50A
bought it 5 years ago
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Expl0rers: 2:58pm On Feb 16, 2017
DMerciful:
Then give it 220v 50hz grin grin grin grin

be like say you want kill me sir undecided

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Papishi(m): 3:42pm On Feb 16, 2017
this my question is still begging for an answer ooooooooooooo...

Papishi:
Hello house, I learnt that MTN has upgraded their solar device to accommodate AC appliances.
But on getting there I discovered that the appliance now has a car cigarette lighter device that converts the 12V to 220V. But what I don't understand is this, will the device last and what is the capacity of the device?
Furthermore, will the device consume energy like other DC appliance because I learnt the reason for the upgrade was because Nigerians complained that they can't be buying another set of DC appliances.
Anyone with an info about the Lumos device should please enlighten us.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anidat77(m): 4:28pm On Feb 16, 2017
Hello Gurus, I need some clarifications.
I recently observed that my 4pcs of 12V deep cycle batteries connected to my 24v inverter becomes drained to almost trip-off voltage.

My bank gets charged either from the solar panels or Nepa light so by sunset they are 26.6V on good harvest days. I run my petrol generator from 7pm to 11pm if no Nepa, but from 11pm to 7am the batteries power the 3 energy bulbs and 2 fans , max of 200w.

I tested the voltage of each battery and observed that 3 where above 12.3V but one was 10.5V, do I need to replace the 10.5v battery as this could end up draining the system, will this allow the system to retain much of the harvest from my panels so I can use it in the night without discharging all the juice from the batteries before morning?

I know the answer may be obviouse ,but guys grin...recession is biting hard so do forgive and also give me all DIY options too for preventive measures grin grin grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 5:11pm On Feb 16, 2017
When you change only that one it won't take long before another shows same sign. If you can, change all and buy a battery balancer so as to maintain all batteries at same state of charge. Check previous pages for link to make purchase.

anidat77:
I recently observed that my 4pcs of 12V deep cycle batteries connected to my 24v inverter becomes drained to almost trip-off voltage.

My bank gets charged either from the solar panels or Nepa light so by sunset they are 26.6V on good harvest days. I run my petrol generator from 7pm to 11pm if no Nepa, but from 11pm to 7am the batteries power the 3 energy bulbs and 2 fans , max of 200w.

I tested the voltage of each battery and observed that 3 where above 12.3V but one was 10.5V, do I need to replace the 10.5v battery as this could end up draining the system, will this allow the system to retain much of the harvest from my panels so I can use it in the night without discharging all the juice from the batteries before morning?

I know the answer may be obviouse ,but guys grin...recession is biting hard so do forgive and also give me all DIY options too for preventive measures grin grin grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 6:04pm On Feb 16, 2017
anidat77:

Before replacing the batteries, experiment with a good battery balancer first. If the batteries does not improve, the balancer will still be useful on your new battery bank.

You need a balancer that is active during both charging and discharging cycles.

Here is the one I use:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/battery-equalizer-battery-balancer-for-4pcs-12V-battery-connected-in-series-for-48V-battery-system-solar/32643622608.html

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 6:20pm On Feb 16, 2017
Give more info about ur batteries like brand, how long they've been in service, ur average depth of discharge, ur inverter type etc.
anidat77:

(1) (2) (3) ... (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) ... (1674) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Mcderu(m), Hero2t, Peterlove11, RickyM, dbshaywhy(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.