Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,902 members, 7,799,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (319) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2026103 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) ... (1662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 12:37am On Nov 28, 2017
makavele:

You nor see "It's just a flash" for there abi . . eyes dey pain you man grin grin grin grin
If i tear you something . . . angry angry angry
Oga makavieli.. .dont mind me.

Kindly stop these arguments. We are all learning.

I think the MAKAVIELI in you is the reason you don't wanna put the matter rest.. . Abeg oooo

One love.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 12:42am On Nov 28, 2017
abunafiu:

Oga makavieli.. .dont mind me.

Kindly stop these arguments. We are all learning.

I think the MAKAVIELI in you is the reason you don't wanna put the matter rest.. . Abeg oooo

One love.

The Heavens knew I did put it to rest not until our brother came to disturb me again with mentions . . .

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 12:51am On Nov 28, 2017
makavele:

You nor see "It's just a flash" for there abi . . eyes dey pain you man grin grin grin grin
If i tear you something . . . angry angry angry

Just wanted to be sure you saw it.. tongue

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 12:54am On Nov 28, 2017
Dam5reey:

Just wanted to be sure you saw it.. tongue

Swerve; man !!!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olagunju2000: 8:29am On Nov 28, 2017
Dam5reey:

This another confirmation @ makavele shocked more than 6 confirms Argument closed..

Now I know where to check sun intensity... grin

People should stop using Chinco products performance to make conclusions..

If a US brand make a product 1.2kw they will rate it to 1kw
But Chinco will rate a 500w products to be 1kw...

I will just save more to get Victron charge controller jejeli

Good morning house,

Please which of this product is best for a 48V system (Total Voc of 132v)

1) Midnite Solar Classic 150 Charge Controller 150VDC Input MPPT
2) OutBack Power FM60-150VDC FLEXMax 60 Charge Controller
3) MORNINGSTAR TS-MPPT-60

Any other suggestion welcomed....Once bitten....!!!!. Prices are welcomed as well.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 8:53am On Nov 28, 2017
olagunju2000:

Good morning house,

Any other suggestion welcomed....Once bitten....!!!!. Prices are welcomed as well.

Classic 150 Sir. Occasional hype do occurs in voc. Your expected 132voc may flash [MAKAVIELI vs dam5] above 132 tending towards 150v and over. The classic I designed to enter safe mode called hyperVoc and returns to normal after your voc drops to safe range below 150.
Other controllers don't have that safety feature.

Practically [remembering Mr Makinde or so, the practical man � ], I have tried a series of 4 units of 200w mono panels. Between the hours of 9am to 11am, the classic was in hyperVoc mode almost tru out this period until when the sun began to heat the panels and voc dropped to 140 something volts. I did this just to see how the hyperVoc function operates.
I did the same with 4 units of 250w Poly panels and it works fine. This made it possible for me to ignore the long distance cabling in my house since I could minimise losses associated.
I currently operate this series arrangement and the result is superb, energy harvest begins as early as possible and ends very late too. The extra voc did the magic.

Other mppts doesn't have that feature. But if morningstar mppt can give me a 80 amps version of their tristar model, I will prefer it. Cool running unlike the outback and classic whose fan make occasional horrible noise which might make u think something terrible is about to happen.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 9:30am On Nov 28, 2017
Of course you know I will not let an attack on MorningStar go unanswered grin

MorningStar has an equivalent feature when you hypervolt - it will throw an alarm called 'High Array Voltage - Current Limit' and begin to derate/limit current e.g a 60A Morningstar CC would limit current to ~40Amps at 125VmP.

With a MorningStar there is no reason really to go beyond 3 panels in series especially if each panel has VmP in the 34-38volt range. They do have a 600volt controller but rated thesame 60A for ~$1,000 - sadly their expectation is that you buy a second controller or mix-match 30A/45A/60A sizes if you need more than 60A and I am not aware of any plans to make a larger version - limitations due to the laws of physics and fan-less/heatsink cooled operation I would guess.

In Mr Olagunju's 4.5kw scenario all other factors being equal a MorningStar would max him out at 60A - sadly for just a little more cash he would get more amps from the Midnite Classic but inherit all the issues with cooling and heat management and a busy fan .

I personally would mix and match MorningStars across the sizes regardless grin but surely the price to maximum amps advantage goes to Midnite.

abunafiu:

Classic 150 Sir. Occasional hype do occurs in voc. Your expected 132voc may flash [MAKAVIELI vs dam5] above 132 tending towards 150v and over. The classic I designed to enter safe mode called hyperVoc and returns to normal after your voc drops to safe range below 150.
Other controllers don't have that safety feature.

Practically [remembering Mr Makinde or so, the practical man � ], I have tried a series of 4 units of 200w mono panels. Between the hours of 9am to 11am, the classic was in hyperVoc mode almost tru out this period until when the sun began to heat the panels and voc dropped to 140 something volts. I did this just to see how the hyperVoc function operates.
I did the same with 4 units of 250w Poly panels and it works fine. This made it possible for me to ignore the long distance cabling in my house since I could minimise losses associated.
I currently operate this series arrangement and the result is superb, energy harvest begins as early as possible and ends very late too. The extra voc did the magic.

Other mppts doesn't have that feature. But if morningstar mppt can give me a 80 amps version of their tristar model, I will prefer it. Cool running unlike the outback and classic whose fan make occasional horrible noise which might make u think something terrible is about to happen.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 9:40am On Nov 28, 2017
olagunju2000:
[img][/img

I am surprised. You claim the installation was done by a professional yet I see the joints are made by twisting wires and insulating tape ( not MC4 connectors). The installer even did not cut the cable tie even for aesthetic reason.

Please check each panel series individually and if possible use a MC4 connector and junction box which will allow you to localize the falut to one string or panel. Remember Solar panels last 20 years and so the installation must be done to support that lifespan

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 9:42am On Nov 28, 2017
For supplies please look for JUO on this forum - he will give you a listening ear, very good prices and the best customer support and after sales service you could ever need.

Your best choice given the price points between the controllers appears to be the Midnite family of controllers maxing out at ~80A/96A or so. Personally I would only use MorningStar and just mix-match the 30A/45A/60A sizes to achieve my long term goals.

Though I prefer MorningStar's simplicity, reliability and solar charge efficiency, you would need two of it to get maximum juice from your array because the 60A MorningStar caps at ~3200watts and you have 4,500watts - you can unlock most of those extra watts for just a 30k maximum price difference by going with Midnite but this approach has its own demerits too.

olagunju2000:

Good morning house,

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olagunju2000: 10:03am On Nov 28, 2017
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Of course you know I will not let an attack on MorningStar go unanswered grin

MorningStar has an equivalent feature when you hypervolt - it will throw an alarm called 'High Array Voltage - Current Limit' and begin to derate/limit current e.g a 60A Morningstar CC would limit current to ~40Amps at 125VmP.

With a MorningStar there is no reason really to go beyond 3 panels in series especially if each panel has VmP in the 34-38volt range. They do have a 600volt controller but rated thesame 60A for ~$1,000 - sadly their expectation is that you buy a second controller or mix-match 30A/45A/60A sizes if you need more than 60A and I am not aware of any plans to make a larger version - limitations due to the laws of physics and fan-less/heatsink cooled operation I would guess.

In Mr Olagunju's 4.5kw scenario all other factors being equal a MorningStar would max him out at 60A - sadly for just a little more cash he would get more amps from the Midnite Classic but inherit all the issues with cooling and heat management and a busy fan .

I personally would mix and match MorningStars across the sizes regardless grin but surely the price to maximum amps advantage goes to Midnite.

my panel spec is
1) 15 pcs 300W mono solar panel (3 in series and 5 parallel)
2) Panel Spec:- VOC = 44.3, Isc = 8.93A, Vmp = 36V, Imp = 8.33A.

My Vmp is 36V per panel. Can I still use the Morning star 60A?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 10:29am On Nov 28, 2017
Yes you can safely use the MorningStar! With a 3 panels in series string VmP 36volts × 3panels = 108volts. MorningStar will only start derating after 115VmP.

In practice you will likely not even see the rated VmP except on a very cool/cold day or in the morning - there is an inverse relationship between panel VmP and temperature so your location in tropical Nigeria is ideal to keep you under 110VmP.

Without speaking too much English MorningStar is perfect for this your config but the problem is that it is capped at 60A so you need two units to get max amps out of your array.

In naira terms one MorningStar 60A landed price is ~250k while the Midnite Classic 80A may be ~280k. By paying 30k extra from the start you could potentially squeeze out an extra 15 to 20amps out of your array with Midnite but if you go with Morningstar you will need to purchase another CC - a smaller sized 30A to 45A MorningStar is 160k to 200k - in the long run splitting duty across two CCs will serve you best e.g 3kw on the 60A MorningStar and 1.5kw on another 30AMorningstar but there is a clear price and short run advantage with one 80A Midnite Classic - how long the Midnite fan will last before it gives way under stress and how long the whole Midnite CC itself will last at max duty and max thermal duress I will leave as an open question for the Midnite fans to answer.

PS: People on this thread predominantly favor the Midnite I think so get ready for the deluge of responses grin

olagunju2000:

my panel spec is

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olagunju2000: 10:36am On Nov 28, 2017
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Yes you can safely use the MorningStar! With a 3 panels in series string VmP 36volts × 3panels = 108volts. MorningStar will only start derating after 115VmP.

In practice you will likely not even see the rated VmP except on a very cool/cold day or in the morning - there is an inverse relationship between panel VmP and temperature so your location in tropical Nigeria is ideal to keep you under 110VmP.

Without speaking too much English MorningStar is perfect for this your config but the problem is that it is capped at 60A so you need two units to get max amps out of your array.

In naira terms one MorningStar 60A landed price is ~250k while the Midnite Classic 80A may be ~280k. By paying 30k extra from the start you could potentially squeeze out an extra 15 to 20amps out of your array with Midnite but if you go with Morningstar you will need to purchase another CC - a smaller sized 30A to 45A MorningStar is 160k to 200k - in the long run splitting duty across two CCs will serve you best e.g 3kw on the 60A MorningStar and 1.5kw on another 30AMorningstar but there is a clear price and short run advantage with one 80A Midnite Classic - how long the Midnite fan will last before it gives way under stress and how long the whole Midnite CC itself will last at max duty and max thermal duress I will leave as an open question for the Midnite fans to answer.

PS: People on this thread predominantly favor the Midnite I think so get ready for the deluge of responses grin

How many panel do you have on your Morning star 60A? all the 15 panel or less?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 10:38am On Nov 28, 2017
Go with the midnite classic bro, it's the ONLY choice!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 11:17am On Nov 28, 2017
I have 6.3kw Panels [21 Pieces of 300watts each]

15pieces × 300watts are on my 60A MorningStar

6pieces × 300watts are on my EP Solar 60A (relic from my learning days) and mostly off these days since the MorningStar alone meets my needs perfectly.

With 15 × 300watts panels I get 59amps easily on my MorningStar and it doesn't run hot - recently I made a custom setting to limit my amps to 55amps while simultaneously decommissioning my EP Solar because I noticed I was boiling my batteries too much with a net charge of 70amps into a 360ah battery bank

I stay in a rented house so not a lot of flexibility to go on the roof several times to change config - once I move to my own place I will do

12pieces × 300watts on the current MorningStar 60A then another
9pieces × 300watts on a newly purchased MorningStar 60A.
Dump my 360Ah US Battery L16s and move to Lithium batteries.

This way everything runs cool and sweet and I can expect a ~90Amps plus total solar yield - two MorningStars is a costlier way to go but a decision I am comfortable making.

Again, because a lot of people follow this thread I am obliged to say that the Midnite Classic is the cheaper option in your scenario and it will deliver similar performance to the MorningStar.

olagunju2000:

How many panel do you have on your Morning star 60A? all the 15 panel or less?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 11:57am On Nov 28, 2017
idsolar:
Hello house. I still have these 2 charge controllers for sale.

1.Roysolar charge controller 12/24v 60a

2. Roysolar 12/24v 20a

Interested? Call/sms/whasapp 08033735359.

Still available
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 4:15pm On Nov 28, 2017
olagunju2000:

my panel spec is

you can still use 2 units of 45amp morning star mmppt cc, cost $480 on amazon, and can handle 2400w @48v, so in real life you can split ur panels into 2....a not so ideal config, but u can scrap by if you wanna save cost of buying 60amp MS
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 5:01pm On Nov 28, 2017
Barezzi:
Go with the midnite classic bro, it's the ONLY choice!

We tri star fans dey here o, we dey observe... Take ur tym o... Lol cheesy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nasonaso: 7:51pm On Nov 28, 2017
Hello house,

Please i need a clarification on this and what could be wrong. THERE IS A LUMINOUS 5KVA/96V INVERTER on ground the challenge is that

(1) it gives light (voltage) both at the output and also at the input. Is that supposed to be?

(2) Before now this particular inverter picks up automatically when public supply is cut off, but now you have to manually go over to the change over switch and turn it to inverter mode.

I want to ask is this connection right. There is a by pass mode at the back of the inverter and it is tilted to the ON position is that suppose to be?

Specifically what is the function of the bypass in luminous Inverters?

N. B This inverter is connected to Solar panels

Cc Saipro, pranil, Abanufiu, Dmerciful, saipro, earthrealm,GeorgD1, IDSOLAR,NIYIomoiyunade, makavele, zeestone99, JUO, dam5reey, Dunka, mank1234, Barezzi

Please comrades sorry if you are not part of my mentions not deliberate.

I just need answers thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nasonaso: 8:07pm On Nov 28, 2017
Pix of inverter

Is this connection suppose to be?

Using a meter to test. Voltage can be read at both the input and the output, is that right?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 8:11pm On Nov 28, 2017
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olagunju2000: 8:23pm On Nov 28, 2017
NiyiOmoIyunade:
I have 6.3kw Panels [21 Pieces of 300watts each]

15pieces × 300watts are on my 60A MorningStar

6pieces × 300watts are on my EP Solar 60A (relic from my learning days) and mostly off these days since the MorningStar alone meets my needs perfectly.

With 15 × 300watts panels I get 59amps easily on my MorningStar and it doesn't run hot - recently I made a custom setting to limit my amps to 55amps while simultaneously decommissioning my EP Solar because I noticed I was boiling my batteries too much with a net charge of 70amps into a 360ah battery bank

I stay in a rented house so not a lot of flexibility to go on the roof several times to change config - once I move to my own place I will do

12pieces × 300watts on the current MorningStar 60A then another
9pieces × 300watts on a newly purchased MorningStar 60A.
Dump my 360Ah US Battery L16s and move to Lithium batteries.

This way everything runs cool and sweet and I can expect a ~90Amps plus total solar yield - two MorningStars is a costlier way to go but a decision I am comfortable making.

Again, because a lot of people follow this thread I am obliged to say that the Midnite Classic is the cheaper option in your scenario and it will deliver similar performance to the MorningStar.

Thanks Niyi and everybody that has contributed to this discussion. I have been checking my options since and have a few clarification to make. Bye the way, I only generated 6.0KW today smiley .

Please who has used any of the model below and what are the performances;

1) Midnite Solar Classic 150-MPPT Charge Controller 150V 96A
2) Midnite Solar Classic 150-SL MPPT Charge Controller 150V 96A
3) Midnite Solar Classic Lite 150 MPPT Charge Controller, 200V 79A

Also, is there a reason nobody mentioned Outback

thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 3:57am On Nov 29, 2017
olagunju2000:

Thanks Niyi and everybody that has contributed to this discussion. I have been checking my options since and have a few clarification to make. Bye the way, I only generated 6.0KW today smiley .

thanks
I have found that if you go with cheap equipment you will live to regret this decision. Spend a little more and go with the good stuff ... it is cheaper in the long run and less hassle. Any of the high end brands will do don't get into the trap of looking for the best as there is nothing like that. grin

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:11am On Nov 29, 2017
I agree with the below.

You won't go wrong with any of the good name brand MPPT controllers although everyone has their own favorites and you will see one or two features present in one and absent in the others and vice versa.

Truly the ultimate charge controller is yet to be made but I know quite a few solid ones and I will try to list them in order of best price/performance mix below

1) Magnum PT100 - ~350k Landed Cost
2) Midnite Classic Family - ~280k
3) 2 Pieces MorningStar MPPT 45A - ~370k Max Landed Cost
4) Outback FM Family

Then you have the Schneiders and Victrons and so many other controllers - in my opinion though Schneider and Victron excel more at making solid inverters than at making charge controllers.

I put the Magnum PT100 first because it is one super solid charge controller we somehow all forgot to mention to you - though the price point appears steep for one unit, it is capable of up to 100A for a nominal 48v battery setup and comes with a ton of other features. In fact it may be the only controller in the list where one unit is enough to handle your current PV array setup and still leave you with some significant headroom for future expansion

DUNKA:
I have found that if you go with cheap equipment you will live to regret this decision. Spend a little more and go with the good stuff ... it is cheaper in the long run and less hassle. Any of the high end brands will do don't get into the trap of looking for the best as there is nothing like that. grin

olagunju2000:

thanks

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nasonaso: 6:51am On Nov 29, 2017
Good morning house, please what could be wrong with the Set up
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 7:23am On Nov 29, 2017
As far as I know Outback is right up there in thesame class of premium controllers as MorningStar, Midnite, Magnum e.t.c. I don't recall anything negative at all about the Outback brand.

In fact Midnite Solar is a breakout from Outback and was founded by the same guys that worked on the Outback if I recall correctly grin

@Saipro, Pranil please help provide perspective - I think you guys have done the most research on the technicals for all these charge controllers.

olagunju2000:

thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olagunju2000: 8:22am On Nov 29, 2017
NiyiOmoIyunade:
As far as I know Outback is right up there in thesame class of premium controllers as MorningStar, Midnite, Magnum e.t.c. I don't recall anything negative at all about the Outback brand.

In fact Midnite Solar is a breakout from Outback and was founded by the same guys that worked on the Outback if I recall correctly grin

@Saipro, Pranil please help provide perspective - I think you guys have done the most research on the technicals for all these charge controllers.

Thanks Niyi and everyone. My installer saw the discussions and he is reviewing all points made. To be fair to him, I bought both the Inverter and the Charge controller myself directly from China before meeting him. He had his concerns with the cc right from time but since it was already purchased, nothing could be done. He plans to bring in different controllers to check and validate what could be wrong.

I will provide update once he is done. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 8:27am On Nov 29, 2017
idsolar:

Still available

Is the 20 Amp 12/24 with USB output also. Kindly give model no.
is it the same as this - https:///roysolar-solar-charge-controller-12-24v-20a-pwm-with-usb-2740214
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 8:34am On Nov 29, 2017
NiyiOmoIyunade:

All the solid brands mentioned here are solid brands and nothing wrong with choosing any one of them. I base my choice more on inverter and choose the charge controller from the same brand or same ecosystme . That way the monitoring, inter-equipment communication and integration is easier . e.g. if you have midnight solar charge controller but Victron BMV 702 and no name brand inveter most of teh advantages of paying premium are lost

Personally, I choose inverter and battery first followed by panels followed by CC to match panel specs and mounting arrangements
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 8:37am On Nov 29, 2017
nasonaso:
Pix of inverter

Is this connection suppose to be?

Using a meter to test. Voltage can be read at both the input and the output, is that right?

is the inverter being used as a generator with changeover switch on output then it looks right but right way is to connect input to nepa also to allow battery charging

Multimeter can give false reading - use test lamp ( should not light up in phase -N or N-E)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 8:52am On Nov 29, 2017
earthrealm:

olagunju2000:

my panel spec is

you can still use 2 units of 45amp morning star mmppt cc, cost $480 on amazon, and can handle 2400w @48v, so in real life you can split ur panels into 2....a not so ideal config, but u can scrap by if you wanna save cost of buying 60amp MS

victron recently launched 250v/100 amp models in your setup you can do 5 panels in series and 3 parallel reducing the cabling losses

or there is 150v/100A which will fit your case perfectly prices of both models are about the same

the units are pricy though almost 1000 USD
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 9:20am On Nov 29, 2017
somebody posted about ipower error 52 ( low bus voltage) i cannot find the thread. But normally the errors with bus voltage low or high are due to failed capacitors or signs of impending failure.

If the machine is pre-March 2017 then more the reason. Voltonics started using better capacitors after March 2017 and now allow up to 61 V on 48 V model and equalization

If the model is not with equalization setting then it is the old one

Unfortunately, the only solution is to replace the main board ( 70 to 130 K)

Was the setting on CC or other chargers in the system set above 58 V DC then most likely high DC voltage is the culprit - The old capacitors have a 2000 Cycle life and wear out faster at higher voltages
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 9:23am On Nov 29, 2017

thanks

One clear advantage of Midnite over outback is internet connectivity out of the box, with outback you either get another addon device (MATE 2 or something like that) or go into the word of hacking together a 3rd party solution using something like a raspberry pi. Midnite is just the clear leader although I am more in the Victron energy camp due to their level of support and use of IT enhancements

(1) (2) (3) ... (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) ... (1662) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: adibo(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.