Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,387 members, 7,808,365 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:58 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (330) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2042349 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) ... (1678) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 11:51pm On Jan 09, 2018
Dam5reey:

Before buying any electronic. I look for power ratings and sellers will be wondering why... shocked

I never used to care about power ratings .. until I went green . . .

The learning curve is steep; but once you adjust; it's fun . . .
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by c0ogumo(m): 12:02am On Jan 10, 2018
Happy New Year Everyone

We have fairly used Xantrex XW6048 and Outback VFX3048 for sale

Contact us @ Solar Depot if interested.
Mobile/Whatsapp: 0803-260-2629

www.solardepotng.com

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 12:08am On Jan 10, 2018
DMerciful:
It uses a SIM. It has a charger and can also be powered from the batteries.
Bought it from a seller on Aliexpress.Ningbo Zhenhai Geebo Electronics, check this guy on Ali express.com

wish you wud post the exact product link...to be sure am buying the correct component
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DBlackCeazer(m): 3:29am On Jan 10, 2018
Pls house, what is the recommended charging current for a 48v 800ah system (6v 400ah × 16) and ve anyone tried out the thundervolt tl16 batteries?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DBlackCeazer(m): 3:32am On Jan 10, 2018
I also ve another question pls, can a 6v 400ah Trojan battery be revived when it reads 2v? even after recharging. A car battery expert said two of the cells are bad and that nothing can be done about it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:21am On Jan 10, 2018
The simple and probably incorrect answer is to apply 10%-15% of capacity so 80amps to 120amps.

In real life you need to know;

1) Battery type e.g flooded batteries don't like a too fast or high amperage charge but AGMs & Li-Ion batteries are perfectly happy with a fast and high amperage charge

2) Charge source e.g With solar charging you would need to account for the equipment loads that are simultaneously discharging the battery as it is being charged through solar. Something like a net charge going into the batteries - so if you had charge controller(s) generating 120amps and your equipment load was simultaneously 40amps - you have only 80amps net making it into the batteries - again solar is a variable charge source so over the course of a 5-8 hour solar day the charge current can vary very widely with time of day, cloud cover, irradiance, temperature, shading e.t.c So one needs to account for all these variables in deciding an ideal charge rate especially given the limited solar charging hours available in an average day.

When charging through AC or mains sources, the batteries are typically isolated from the load and one is able to present a far steadier charge profile to the batteries.

3) Depth of discharge - lightly cycled batteries can get by with lower current charging and even lower absorb voltage setpoints but deeply discharged/cycled batteries may need a lot more juice pumped into them per time to get them full given limited solar hours in a day or even limited AC/Mains availability.

4) Battery Temperature and other extraneous factors - at higher temperatures you generally want to lower your charge rate to avoid boiling/over-gassing the batteries.

These are a couple of factors I can think of off the top of my head - I currently have a 48v 800ah battery bank exclusively solar charged and my peak charge rate is between 70 to 80amps offset by an average 12amp equipment load excluding night time 1hp AC use - in general my batteries enter into float around 2pm.

DBlackCeazer:
Pls house, what is the recommended charging current for a 48v 800ah system (6v 400ah × 16) and ve anyone tried out the thundervolt tl16 batteries?

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:42am On Jan 10, 2018
The answer is that IT DEPENDS.

How old are the batteries? For how long have they been having issues? Generally the younger the batteries are and the less time they have been subjected to abuse then the better the chances of recovery.

Are the bad cells just having low SG due to chronic sulfation or undercharge? Then they may be recovered by isolating the battery and giving a proper full charge at low amps over a long period followed by a well monitored equalize charge cycle then perform a load/capacity test.

If the above procedure and test does not yield desired results, one may also dump the current electrolyte mix,replace with distilled water and run a charge cycle, dump the mix, refill again with distilled water and run yet another charge cycle - this process should allow the cells to yield any residual acid and become neutral, then you refill with a proper electrolyte mix and recharge fully and then retest capacity. Some authorities add an alkalizing agent to the distilled water to speed up the acid dumping process.

If at any time someone in an attempt to revive the batteries had added more acid or a too strong electrolyte mix then all bets are off cheesy

Needless to say the above procedures are not to be attempted by an amateur and also not without observing proper safety precautions working with acid.

If the issue is SHORTED CELLs or serious positive grid erosion there is really nothing anyone can do to bring the batteries back.

Personally if after a full charge and equalize cycle the batteries don't recover, I would sell them as scrap and move on with my life. There are much better things to do in this life than nursing a bad battery. In the words of a seller on this forum 'a dead battery is a dead battery'

DBlackCeazer:
I also ve another question pls, can a 6v 400ah Trojan battery be revived when it reads 2v? even after recharging. A car battery expert said two of the cells are bad and that nothing can be done about it.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DBlackCeazer(m): 8:56am On Jan 10, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
The answer is that IT DEPENDS.

How old are the batteries? For how long have they been having issues? Generally the younger the batteries are and the less time they have been subjected to abuse then the better the chances of recovery.

Are the bad cells just having low SG due to chronic sulfation or undercharge? Then they may be recovered by isolating the battery and giving a proper full charge at low amps over a long period followed by a well monitored equalize charge cycle then perform a load/capacity test.

If the above procedure and test does not yield desired results, one may also dump the current electrolyte mix,replace with distilled water and run a charge cycle, dump the mix, refill again with distilled water and run yet another charge cycle - this process should allow the cells to yield any residual acid and become neutral, then you refill with a proper electrolyte mix and recharge fully and then retest capacity. Some authorities add an alkalizing agent to the distilled water to speed up the acid dumping process.

If at any time someone in an attempt to revive the batteries had added more acid or a too strong electrolyte mix then all bets are off cheesy

Needless to say the above procedures are not to be attempted by an amateur and also not without observing proper safety precautions working with acid.

If the issue is SHORTED CELLs or serious positive grid erosion there is really nothing anyone can do to bring the batteries back.

Personally if after a full charge and equalize cycle the batteries don't recover, I would sell them as scrap and move on with my life. There are much better things to do in this life than nursing a bad battery. In the words of a seller on this forum 'a dead battery is a dead battery'

Thanks for the Indepth explanations. We ve had the batteries for 2 years now and they have been doing very well until last month when we had low voltage supplied to the house . I know for sure the batteries were not undercharged so it has to be sulfation. I will try setting the inverter to equalizing mode to see if it helps, but should incase it doesn't, what setup would you advice, I am considering 2v 800ah batteries, but cost is about 5mil. Those Trojan 6v batteries are no longer sold here in Nigeria.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 11:25am On Jan 10, 2018
makavele:

I have dozens of this in my house . .

Recently, I had to replace all the bulbs in my house with the 5W cool-white LED bulbs . . . 45 in all

(minus 14 x 3W spotlights)

Thats 45 X 5 watts (max) = 225W if they are turned on concurrently

Cos I came to realize it is cheaper to save energy than it is to generate it.

I got tired of preaching this. It does help to take a chill pill on the massive upgrades and consider optimization of loads for efficiency. The less power you use. The more what you generate will cover. When you understand peukert effect on battery charge and discharge rate, the impact of depth of discharge on life span of a battery and the need to ensure your battle receive a daily cycle to 100% state of charge.. all this point to 1 thing. ensure that every 100w you generate for you system is most optimally utilised. That 100w can power a 42 Inch TV at moderate screen settings, 2 electric fans and 6 5w light bulbs if you know what you doing. 2018 is Year 3 of doing renewable. It means 3 years of 2 220AH batteries providing 24/7 power to a household and never once the battery gone below 45% depth of discharge not once in 3 years has the battery gone a day without getting fully charged. This is what it means to have a system designed for maximum efficiency.

8 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 3:29pm On Jan 10, 2018
bigrovar:

I got tired of preaching this. It does help to take a chill pill on the massive upgrades and consider optimization of loads for efficiency. The less power you use. The more what you generate will cover. When you understand peukert effect on battery charge and discharge rate, the impact of depth of discharge on life span of a battery and the need to ensure your battle receive a daily cycle to 100% state of charge.. all this point to 1 thing. ensure that every 100w you generate for you system is most optimally utilised. That 100w can power a 42 Inch TV at moderate screen settings, 2 electric fans and 6 5w light bulbs if you know what you doing. 2018 is Year 3 of doing renewable. It means 3 years of 2 220AH batteries providing 24/7 power to a household and never once the battery gone below 45% depth of discharge not once in 3 years has the battery gone a day without getting fully charged. This is what it means to have a system designed for maximum efficiency.
if you tell them, they don't need huge battery bank to enjoy 24/7 light it looks as if you don't know what you are saying. Imagine one person generating 18kwh in a 3-4 bed room apartment. What for, are you selling energy? Energy conservation is the only solution

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 4:12pm On Jan 10, 2018
JUO:
if you tell them, they don't need huge battery bank to enjoy 24/7 light it looks as if you don't know what you are saying. Imagine one person generating 18kwh in a 3-4 bed room apartment. What for, are you selling energy? Energy conservation is the only solution

Lol!
That is what I call; Ile se bread fa cool
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 4:14pm On Jan 10, 2018
Monbat batteries available... limited quantity

Call us for your proffesional inverter/solar installations, we have different brands of inverters and solar panels at affordable prices.

Call 08117398294 to order.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 4:20pm On Jan 10, 2018
All my security light bulbs (11) is just 36.3 watts (3.3 w each) and quite bright too. The highest bulb wattage in the house is 10 w, just that one, the rest ~5 - 7 w.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 7:27pm On Jan 10, 2018
JUO:

It depends on individual preferences though ; for example; some people cannot stay with air conditioning . . .
hence more batteries and/or solar panels.
While some can do with a ceiling/standing fan overnight . . .

The most important thing is, if you won't be powering heavy appliances;
then there is no need for an insane battery and/or solar bank.

Except you wanna show off; at which point it becomes a thing of either foolishness or wasteful spending.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:11pm On Jan 10, 2018
makavele:

It depends on individual preferences though ; for example; some people cannot stay with air conditioning . . .

Except you wanna show off; at which point it becomes a thing of either foolishness or wasteful spending.

Good point ! Cheer's
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 9:03pm On Jan 10, 2018
It wasnt listed on his store. i just asked if he could source for it, he said yes and put the price among other things i was buying from his store.
even on epsolar website, it is not listed. its a new product.
earthrealm:

wish you wud post the exact product link...to be sure am buying the correct component

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 9:47pm On Jan 10, 2018
CANADIAN 340W MONO SOLAR PANEL

Quick Overview
Maximum power, Pmax - 340 W
Open circuit voltage, Voc - 46.2 V
Maximum power point voltage, Vmpp - 37.9 V
Short circuit current, Isc - 9.48 A
Maximum power point current, Impp - 8.97 A
Module efficiency - 17.49 %
Max System Voltage: 1000VDC

PRICE:N81,000

Smartcell global services
081-350-31951

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by c0ogumo(m): 5:44am On Jan 11, 2018
DBlackCeazer:
Thanks for the Indepth explanations. We ve had the batteries for 2 years now and they have been doing very well until last month when we had low voltage supplied to the house . I know for sure the batteries were not undercharged so it has to be sulfation. I will try setting the inverter to equalizing mode to see if it helps, but should incase it doesn't, what setup would you advice, I am considering 2v 800ah batteries, but cost is about 5mil. Those Trojan 6v batteries are no longer sold here in Nigeria.

How many batteries are reading 2V
It will be cheaper to replace just one battery than to replace the whole bank.
We have a replacement battery for your Trojan L16RE (USL16E)
Contact Solar Depot
0803 260 2629

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 7:06am On Jan 11, 2018
c0ogumo:

How many batteries are reading 2V It will be cheaper to replace just one battery than to replace the whole bank. We have a replacement battery for your Trojan L16RE (USL16E) Contact Solar Depot 0803 260 2629
Replace one battery in a bank after 2 years Are you for real?

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 8:03am On Jan 11, 2018
makavele:

I use microwave, energy efficiency does not mean live like a monk. Juo uses electric Iron. Energy efficiency is about doing more with less.. If you have the money and AC is a priority then by all means but at least save energy in other areas. For me and I know many do not have the luxury here.. Energy conservation is at the back of my mind .. its one of the most important parameter I choose when I want to pick an apartment. Well ventilated windows. In the construction of my house I made sure to use large windows that are located to the north side to reduce impart of the sun. Colour of your roof, creation of roof attic ventilation to prevent build up of heat in the root attic which then sips into the house via the "man hole" I was going to use hydraulic compressed bricks due to their excellent thermal resistance but lack of know how in my area. But I intend to plant flowers and trees that will help in keeping the house cool requiring less need for AC. Worked on a design of the plumbing of the house so that grey water from the washing machine, kitchen and bathroom can be channelled into drip irrigation for the house trees, garden and flowers. will help to reduce my energy footprint.

Lastly, I made sure the kitchen used white tiles so that a 6w LED bulb will provide sufficient illumination due to the whites bouncing lights amplifying it's intensity. 90% of outdoor lights are small solar motion controlled lights are are dim by default and brightens when there sense motion. They come with their own batteries and tiny solar modules and are as such disconnected from the house. They come on at night and go off automatically.

All the above I did to ensure I use less energy in the house. It doesn't mean I wont have operate my washing machine or microwave on solar. but at least I spent some time in tweaking and optimising the energy needs.

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 8:37am On Jan 11, 2018
JUO:

You are right.
Also, It is a matter of choice to live off grid and drive your heavy appliances if you have the right installation. Let's remember the sun is free
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 8:53am On Jan 11, 2018
Oshomo12:
All my security light bulbs (11) is just 36.3 watts (3.3 w each) and quite bright too. The highest bulb wattage in the house is 10 w, just that one, the rest ~5 - 7 w.

My oga, you're on point, Energy efficiency is the key to successes in R.E.
However, some of us are discouraged by (not necessarily cheap) fake/poor led bulbs whitewashing Nigerian market. As a matter of fact, I have many energy bulbs waiting to replace unreliable led bulb that goes out. Thus requiring more power to run - more power to harvest.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 8:57am On Jan 11, 2018
zeestone99:
Hello house and fellow installers, contact me for your solar panels n other products at affordable prices. We also do payment on delivery.

Solar panels

Sunshine
300watts mono=56k
300watts poly = 53k
250watts mono=47k
250watts poly=43k
200watts mono - 40k
200watts poly - 34k
150watts mono - 27k
150watts poly - 25k

Other products in stock includes Canadian solar, suntech, flames etc

Inverters
Felicity
3.5kva/24v( 35amps charging current) - 165k
5kva/48v ( 30amps charging current) - 190k
7.5kva 48v (40amps charging current) - 340k
10kva 48v- 390k

Microtek
0.9kva/12v- 45k
1.1kva12v- 50k
1.6kva/24v- 75k
3.6kva/48v - 165k

Other products includes sukam, vilpower, microtek, axpert etc

Batteries (200ah)
Quanta - 130k
Monbat- 125k
Long - 115k
Okaya - 100k
Gbm - 80k

Other products in stock includes luminous, genus, monbat, toplight etc

Call/watapp 08117398294 or email Info@monzpowersolutions.com

You can also like our page on facebook.com/monzpowersolutions for beautiful installation pictures.

Price update
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 9:11am On Jan 11, 2018
mcTrinity:

Replace one battery in a bank after 2 years
Are you for real?

Yea! That is a reasonable option for me too. Unless he has millions in his vault.

Let him get BLS/balancers for older batteries.
Just my stake!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DBlackCeazer(m): 9:44am On Jan 11, 2018
c0ogumo:

How many batteries are reading 2V
It will be cheaper to replace just one battery than to replace the whole bank.
We have a replacement battery for your Trojan L16RE (USL16E)
Contact Solar Depot
0803 260 2629

initially two batteries at once, but we have more bad batteries in the bank now. Pls how much would each of the battery cost, and do you have up to 16 pieces?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DBlackCeazer(m): 10:01am On Jan 11, 2018
mcTrinity:

Replace one battery in a bank after 2 years
Are you for real?
more are likely to fail in the bank, in fact, I used only one bank of 8,and more ve given way. Only shortcut I think is if the batteries can be revived. Any suggestions pls?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:01am On Jan 11, 2018
happy new year to the house.

may 2018 usher in enough sunshine on our roofs
and juice to our batteries.

may our cc perform above 100% efficiency and may
our inverters be able to carry all the loads we throw
at them this year.

above all, may we enjoy 365 days of uninterrupted
power regardless of phcn antics! smiley

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DBlackCeazer(m): 10:13am On Jan 11, 2018
efuro:

Yea! That is a reasonable option for me too. Unless he has millions in his vault.

Let him get BLS/balancers for older batteries.
Just my stake!
pls, does the balancers help revive bad batteries, or is it just basically for monitoring each of the battery in the battery bank?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ryusufu(m): 11:28am On Jan 11, 2018
Hello guys
Can anyone recommend an inverter for my 600w load, that will be able to charge my batteries using nepa light ??
I have six 2v 500a batteries, i'm also considering deploying six 130w solar panels in the future. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 11:28am On Jan 11, 2018
bigrovar:
I use microwave, energy efficiency does not mean live like a monk. Juo uses electric Iron. Energy efficiency is about doing more with less.. If you have the money and AC is a priority then by all means but at least save energy in other areas. For me and I know many do not have the luxury here.......

Too much epistle .. we r both saying the same thing which is:

some people cannot stay without e.g. an A/C overnight and if they have deep pockets;
they can decide to buy 300 10000Ah batteries if they like( if such a battery exist) . . .

Meanwhile, some will manage a fan overnight;
and are good with just 1 unit of 200Ah battery or 2.

Some do not need that large bank but because they have deep pockets
and what to show off; they will go for it.

So its a personal choice . . . there are no hard and fast rules.
I can decide to use the microwave on just 1 battery of 100Ah, how long? 10mins maximum to heat food

But when I want to use something like air conditioning overnight for like 8-10 hours;
I therefore need a huge bank . . .

ALso, some people have a standard; 15W bulbs or nothing . . . they cannot adjust to using 6W bulbs
They know its cheaper to save energy, but they be like" "Give me the bill to have electricity 24/7 here"

Even if its 100W bulbs each in the house; they don't care . . Just give them the bill, for that 100W bulb to stay on 24/7.

We all know its good to be energy efficient,
but back to square one, a matter of choice and personal preference . . especially when it comes to the cost/price to pay.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:39am On Jan 11, 2018
ryusufu:
Hello guys
Can anyone recommend an inverter for my 600w load, that will be able to charge my batteries using nepa light ??
I have six 2v 500a batteries, i'm also considering deploying six 130w solar panels in the future. Thanks

Hello, if you are looking for a 12v power inverter, its available in 1000w , 1500w & 2000w respectively ...

Budget around 85-110k for the pure sinewave inverters , and 35k for quality 150w mono panels .

Smartcell global services
081-350-31951

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 12:03pm On Jan 11, 2018
bigrovar:
I use microwave, energy efficiency does not mean live like a monk. Juo uses electric Iron. Energy efficiency is about doing more with less.. If you have the money and AC is a priority then by all means but at least save energy in other areas. For me and I know many do not have the luxury here.. Energy conservation is at the back of my mind .. its one of the most important parameter I choose when I want to pick an apartment. Well ventilated windows. In the construction of my house I made sure to use large windows that are located to the north side to reduce impart of the sun. Colour of your roof, creation of roof attic ventilation to prevent build up of heat in the root attic which then sips into the house via the "man hole" I was going to use hydraulic compressed bricks due to their excellent thermal resistance but lack of know how in my area. But I intend to plant flowers and trees that will help in keeping the house cool requiring less need for AC. Worked on a design of the plumbing of the house so that grey water from the washing machine, kitchen and bathroom can be channelled into drip irrigation for the house trees, garden and flowers. will help to reduce my energy footprint.

Lastly, I made sure the kitchen used white tiles so that a 6w LED bulb will provide sufficient illumination due to the whites bouncing lights amplifying it's intensity. 90% of outdoor lights are small solar motion controlled lights are are dim by default and brightens when there sense motion. They come with their own batteries and tiny solar modules and are as such disconnected from the house. They come on at night and go off automatically.

All the above I did to ensure I use less energy in the house. It doesn't mean I won't have operate my washing machine or microwave on solar. but at least I spent some time in tweaking and optimising the energy needs.

Good points my brother. You just save me a lot of grammar by composing this! Building and positioning of your house very important. The hight of each room and kitchen is paramount. I watched a video back then of an energy efficient building, that was the turning point for me. Since I moved into my house (going to 3yrs) I can't remember the last time I used all my standing Fans! Never switched it on cos of the room(s) heating up. In fact, I have to battle cold during the raining and the current seasons we are in (I need to block my windows with mattresses).
During the heat period, I open two windows out of three in the master's bedroom, by 1 am, I would need to stand up to close the windows.
So, you need to be very smart when going green/off grid. Except you intend selling back to the grid, then you can start generating 'crazy KW'.

(1) (2) (3) ... (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) ... (1678) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Dharyhor, jonescosmos, cybaj09 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.