Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,778 members, 7,802,388 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:30 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (357) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2031506 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (354) (355) (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) ... (1666) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 7:31am On Feb 20, 2018
makavele:

it is not discharging . . . the load mode is turned on . . .

these tier 2 charge controllers usually have 2 extra ports where you can connect light DC loads like led bulbs and a small dc fan etc.

they are not meant for large loads. .

it has different modes.. it could come on automatically at a preset time; go off automatically, enabled or disabled.

in my case, it comes on around 10am and goes off around 6pm; because i use it to power a small dc fan

which cools the mppt during operation
If you don't like seeing the icon, just disable it.
Thank you very much for your response.

Last night, we left 2 bars around 12:00am and powered off the inverter, by 6:00am, battery completely drained.

How do I know? Now its Past 7:00am and its charging from Solar at 0.4 to 0.5 but the battery lever level is starting from 0,1,2,3 to 4. Since we left 2, it ought to have started from 2,3, to 4.

What do you think is wrong?

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 7:35am On Feb 20, 2018
makavele:
p.s.: you need to double your panels... 600 Watts panels cannot sufficiently charge 400ah battery bank;

unless you are discharging to only about 80% each night.
The idiot that sold the Panel advised we use 600 watts. Its my money and was ready to do 800watts in 4 panels. But he No, cos the inverter is 900watts max output. I was advised otherwise.

So how, how do we solve this discharge issue now?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 9:35am On Feb 20, 2018
davodyguy:
Thank you very much for your response.

Last night, we left 2 bars around 12:00am and powered off the inverter, by 6:00am, battery completely drained.

How do I know? Now its Past 7:00am and its charging from Solar at 0.4 to 0.5 but the battery lever level is starting from 0,1,2,3 to 4. Since we left 2, it ought to have started from 2,3, to 4.

What do you think is wrong?

Thanks

How do you it was drained? Did you check the voltage reading this morning?

Do not use the battery bar indicator as it gives false readings.

Check the voltage of each battery with a multimeter and let us know what you get.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 9:36am On Feb 20, 2018
davodyguy:
The idiot that sold the Panel advised we use 600 watts. Its my money and was ready to do 800watts in 4 panels. But he No, cos the inverter is 900watts max output. I was advised otherwise.

Most of them that sell these stuffs in the open market are stark illiterates . .

That's how one was telling me, parallel connection last longer ( x 2) than series connection.

I asked even with the same number of batteries, he said yes. Case closed !!!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:01am On Feb 20, 2018
makavele:

Most of them that sell these stuffs in the open market are stark illiterates . .

That's how one was telling me, parallel connection last longer ( x 2) than series connection.

I asked even with the same number of batteries, he said yes. Case closed !!!

Good morning my friend , why not refer this client to an installer especially if he is within Lagos state to save him all this stress . Troubleshooting isn't very easy but the end result is "peace of mind" .. Nagode !
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 10:08am On Feb 20, 2018
kiekie1:

Good morning my friend , why not refer this client to an installer especially if he is within Lagos state to save him all this stress . Troubleshooting isn't very easy but the end result is "peace of mind" .. Nagode !

Ututu oma . . .

E never reach that stage nah . . .

When water don pass garri, installer go come in . . .

At least, let him have the basic ideas of "what is" and "what works"

You dig?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 10:37am On Feb 20, 2018
makavele:

How do you it was drained? Did you check the voltage reading this morning?

Do not use the battery bar indicator as it gives false readings.

Check the voltage of each battery with a multimeter and let us know what you get.
I don't have this equipment
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 11:29am On Feb 20, 2018
@Sharks. D batr don try. @Niyi&Oshomo&makavele on point. If i be u i wl for short-term get a reliable installer, rotate d batr, wash my panels then gv batr ful/complete charge from various sources theb set my pocket for long-term overhaul - replace pv wt 250w or higher as pocket b, change batr if pocket good double am. Then if pocket good change. .. nagode. Enjoy ya money

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 1:27pm On Feb 20, 2018
Having a digital multi-meter or other reliable method to measure voltage is a compulsory requirement for anyone who lives off batteries.

Knowing the battery voltage gives you a fair idea of battery state of charge and health or otherwise and can help spot potential trouble (weakening or failing battery, battery overcharging e.t.c.) before it becomes a big deal.

Beyond ability to measure voltage, one also needs to be able to track the DC amps going in and out of his/her battery bank - without the ability to measure DC voltage and DC amps reliably, you are essentially in the dark about what is going on with your system.

You can get a very basic entry level multi-meter for like 2,500 Naira (measurements may not be very reliable) and budget at least 15k for a decent meter which has DC amps and voltage measurements.

Chinese brands like UniT, Mastech, Extech, EtekCity e.t.c are good value but you will never go wrong with the more premium offerings e.g. a 'Fluke' or 'Amprobe' or 'Klein Tools' meter if you can afford it. Other house members can suggest other good names they have experience with...

I own several Flukes including the Fluke 117 Electrician's MultiMeter and the venerable Fluke 376 and an Amprobe, I could no longer bring myself to touch or use the UniT's I had after I experienced a Fluke meter for the first time so I gave them out.

Regardless UniT UT210E and UT210A are good value and can be had for between 15k and 20k - they have both DC amps (critical to have for any one who wants to monitor/improve his system performance) and DC voltage measurements as well as AC measurements too although I find their AC Frequency (Hz) readings rather finicky/unreliable but they are more than sufficient for DC amps and volts measurements.

If you choose to go with any other meters, please verify that they can do both DC voltage and DC Amps measurement or you can take the plunge and just splurge on a battery monitor but a good multi-meter with DC Amps and Volts measurements is really all you need.

davodyguy:

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 4:13pm On Feb 20, 2018
davodyguy:

grin grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 4:17pm On Feb 20, 2018
davodyguy:

Sori bros, jst folo @makavele @niyi n oda oga's at d top instructions, u ll b fine
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 4:43pm On Feb 20, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Having a digital multi-meter or other reliable method to measure voltage is a compulsory requirement for anyone who lives off batteries.

Knowing the battery voltage gives you a fair idea of battery state of charge and health or otherwise and can help spot potential trouble (weakening or failing battery, battery overcharging e.t.c.) before it becomes a big deal.

Beyond ability to measure voltage, one also needs to be able to track the DC amps going in and out of his/her battery bank - without the ability to measure DC voltage and DC amps reliably, you are essentially in the dark about what is going on with your system.

You can get a very basic entry level multi-meter for like 2,500 Naira (measurements may not be very reliable) and budget at least 15k for a decent meter which has DC amps and voltage measurements.

Chinese brands like UniT, Mastech, Extech, EtekCity e.t.c are good value but you will never go wrong with the more premium offerings e.g. a 'Fluke' or 'Amprobe' or 'Klein Tools' meter if you can afford it. Other house members can suggest other good names they have experience with...

I own several Flukes including the Fluke 117 Electrician's MultiMeter and the venerable Fluke 376 and an Amprobe, I could no longer bring myself to touch or use the UniT's I had after I experienced a Fluke meter for the first time so I gave them out.

Regardless UniT UT210E and UT210A are good value and can be had for between 15k and 20k - they have both DC amps (critical to have for any one who wants to monitor/improve his system performance) and DC voltage measurements as well as AC measurements too although I find their AC Frequency (Hz) readings rather finicky/unreliable but they are more than sufficient for DC amps and volts measurements.

If you choose to go with any other meters, please verify that they can do both DC voltage and DC Amps measurement or you can take the plunge and just splurge on a battery monitor but a good multi-meter with DC Amps and Volts measurements is really all you need.

Hello chief.

Can I get additional 300 watts Panel to the already 600 watts that is on ground?

Charge controller is E-smart 40A
Inverter 900 watts
12V
2 numbers 200amp batteries

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 7:58pm On Feb 20, 2018
You wey be guru for FTA, i think say u go get multimeter!loool. Anyways, go to an electrical store u will find it or borrow from the electrician near you or get a professional installer
davodyguy:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 9:42pm On Feb 20, 2018
davodyguy:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin very funny, i hope that very idiot isnt walking free on this thread..huh?.
i learnt early in life THAT THE BEST HELPING HANDS ARE THE ONES AT THE END OF MY WRIST!!!
I double check everything, do my research prior to commencing on any project. most artisans, sales people, naija customer care agaents, mechanics etc...are really dumb and offer wrong advice, not backed by any known law of physics

edit: i reread your post again, you hv a 12v system! and 40amp cc, yup..you cant go more than 600w...this issue was explained a few threads back..go back and read it..dont hv the energy to type

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 9:54pm On Feb 20, 2018
DMerciful:
You wey be guru for FTA, i think say u go get multimeter!loool. Anyways, go to an electrical store u will find it or borrow from the electrician near you or get a professional installer
For Satellite and IPTV, cars and properties, musical instruments, are my core discipline, not into electricals that's much

Very soon, you guys would see my hand work.
The Land Use charge Valuation that covers the entire 4 million buildings in Lagos state is being handled by my firm along side Knight Frank.

Then you'll hear from me grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 8:43am On Feb 21, 2018
earthrealm:

using cartons to differentiate fake and original is wrong, sellers can always swap cartons.

I guess you're right... someone mentioned that they are same quality. According to the person, cost of producing white carton in Indian is high and hence the brown carton. that's why Quanta in white carton is more expensive compared to the one in brown carton..
All the same, thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 10:00am On Feb 21, 2018
mcTrinity:

I guess you're right... someone mentioned that they are same quality. According to the person, cost of producing white carton in Indian is high and hence the brown carton. that's why Quanta in white carton is more expensive compared to the one in brown carton..
All the same, thanks

seriously shocked

I no know o
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 3:14pm On Feb 21, 2018
Hello sirs.

Today is the first sunny day since my imstallation of the two numbers 300 watts Panel on Monday.

From 8:00am till now 2:35pm max Amps is 27Aps is what the the max I should expect?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 4:42pm On Feb 21, 2018
davodyguy:
Hello sirs.

Today is the first sunny day since my imstallation of the two numbers 300 watts Panel on Monday.

From 8:00am till now 2:35pm max Amps is 27Aps is what the the max I should expect?
I am lost here, 600 w 12 v system( aside your previous installation)?

Just gone thru ur initial post, 600 w 12v @80% panel effnecy and co; u should see around 38-40A (ALL STUFF TAKEN CARE OF!)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 5:12pm On Feb 21, 2018
Oshomo12:

I am lost here, 600 w 12 v system( aside your previous installation)?

Just gone thru ur initial post, 600 w 12v @80% panel effnecy and co; u should see around 38-40A (ALL STUFF TAKEN CARE OF!)

Yes, that's why I asked if what I'm seeing is at its peak

Inverter 900watts 12v
2nos 200amps Gennex Gel batteries
40A E-Smart Charge Controller
2nos 300 watts Panel

From 8:00am to 2:30pm with sun, the best I saw was 27amps dropping into my batteries.

Ha e I been scammed?

lipsrsealed

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 6:34pm On Feb 21, 2018
Sun wasn't that great today and depends on he direction ur panels are facing. They should almost be horizontal but 6• facing south
davodyguy:

Inverter 900watts 12v
2nos 300 watts Panel

From 8:00am to 2:30pm with sun, the best I saw was 27amps dropping into my batteries.

Ha e I been scammed?

lipsrsealed
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 7:01pm On Feb 21, 2018
davodyguy:

Inverter 900watts 12v
2nos 300 watts Panel

[b][/b]Ha e I been scammed?

lipsrsealed

Not at all! If you were scammed, u wouldn't even see the panels talk less of the 27a u saw! Other factors play out too( is d panels facing south, DMerciful talked about it to lie wethin 6 degr{tilt angle}, what is the diameter of the wire frm panel-Cc, are de connected in series or parallel, etc.)

Note: look for the third eye(pro installer) to check it out for u.
U will need additional 600 w to really make those batteries happy( except u have a good Phcn supply and ur inverter can push in around 40 a)

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 7:45pm On Feb 21, 2018
Oshomo12:

Not at all! If you were scammed, u wouldn't even see the panels talk less of the 27a u saw! Other factors play out too( is d panels facing south, DMerciful talked about it to lie wethin 6 degr{tilt angle}, what is the diameter of the wire frm panel-Cc, are de connected in series or parallel, etc.)

Note: look for the third eye(pro installer) to check it out for u.
U will need additional 600 w to really make those batteries happy( except u have a good Phcn supply and ur inverter can push in around 40 a)

Thanks. Power supply was too notch in my area till early January, 2018, that the inverter at 10amps per hour was able to fully charge 400amps batteries.

When power supply, became worse at the start of February, 2018 i opted for Solar.

I may have to do another 300 watts Panel to take my system to 900watts
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 7:47pm On Feb 21, 2018
DMerciful:
Sun wasn't that great today and depends on he direction ur panels are facing. They should almost be horizontal but 6• facing south

Thanks

Kindly advice on the best position they should face.
I plan to get another 300watts Panel
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sharks776(m): 7:53pm On Feb 21, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Based on what you have represented below; you already have a charge controller which by all accounts is functioning well and also you have a trouble free inverter.

As it appears you are not ready to change your batteries yet, an 'Hybrid Inverter' may not help you at all as it merely combines the solar charge controller and inverter feature in one single box. The Hybrid Inverter still needs batteries to function except it is a grid tie inverter you have in mind and going that route will very likely be more complicated and costly than a simple battery change.

Assuming your MustPower charge controller is functioning well, power generated from your PV panels will be directed first towards your loads then any excess power will go to charging the batteries - what I'm trying to say is that what you already have should be achieving your objective unless I am missing something?

For your batteries, they have done well to last 3 years especially as 6*130watts panels would not have been enough to charge them properly unless your loads are very low or you are getting PHCN or Gen to complete the charge. Have you checked the battery voltages when your inverter low battery alarm goes off? You may be able to identify a weak battery that may be recovered with a few complete/proper charge cycles.

Please revert with further details and we can take things further.

@Niyi, makavele and all, I got a good multimeter today, the batteries have been charging all day via pv and phcn, came back home around 7pm, no phcn(nobody at home either) turn on just the fan and 2 12watt bulbs, did the v test on the two batteries and got 25.2 cumulatively (and 12.5 &12.7 individually) but what surprised me was the charge controller was showing 24.2 cry, am beginning to suspect this cc cuz lately despite the fact that I have total PV is 780 (130*6) configured in 2*3, the CC display Amp never goes more than 12a max even though PV volt can go up to 36v. Is this normal? The CC brand is Must solar
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 8:06pm On Feb 21, 2018
Lay the panels flat then tilt it 6degrees facing south.
davodyguy:

Thanks

Kindly advice on the best position they should face.
I plan to get another 300watts Panel
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:35pm On Feb 21, 2018
In a perfect world your CC with your current PV array could max out at anywhere between 20 to 28amps depending on depth of discharge/state of charge of your batteries, ambient weather and temperature, wattage of appliances you have on, angle and tilt of panels, panel surface clean and unshaded e.t.c

If your batteries are not deeply discharged and no power hungry appliances on, you may not be getting peak harvest from your PV Panels & CC combo and this is normal.You may have to troubleshoot further with different scenarios before we can conclude that anything is wrong.

For the batteries health check, put mains changeover in neutral, use the batteries with some load and let your inverter start beeping low battery. Take your voltage measurements at this time and you should identify the 'Judas' amongst them (quoting Makavele grin ). The bad one will usually have voltage far lower than the other one - anything below 11/11.5volts is definitely a bad sign

This bad battery will be the focus of our revival efforts so report back to the house when you find it. Hopefully it won't be both batteries that have gone weak.

sharks776:

@Niyi, makavele and all, I got a good multimeter today, the batteries have been charging all day via pv and phcn, came back home around 7pm, no phcn(nobody at home either) turn on just the fan and 2 12watt bulbs, did the v test on the two batteries and got 25.2 cumulatively (and 12.5 &12.7 individually) but what surprised me was the charge controller was showing 24.2 cry, am beginning to suspect this cc cuz lately despite the fact that I have total PV is 780 (130*6) configured in 2*3, the CC display Amp never goes more than 12a max even though PV volt can go up to 36v. Is this normal? The CC brand is Must solar

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jarkbauer: 9:04pm On Feb 21, 2018
what is the max load in watts a 1.5KVA inverter should carry
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NextDayPP: 9:22pm On Feb 21, 2018
Anyone here sells batteries of between 20ah and 30ah?. Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 9:52pm On Feb 21, 2018
jarkbauer:
what is the max load in watts a 1.5KVA invereter should carry

1200W max (80%)
might be safer to keep the load at 1000w

(1) (2) (3) ... (354) (355) (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) ... (1666) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: obinna37(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.