Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,489 members, 7,808,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:13 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (391) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2042899 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (388) (389) (390) (391) (392) (393) (394) ... (1679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Monlo(m): 6:59am On Apr 19, 2018
Barezzi:
grin grin grin @davodyguy,
I can relate... My neighbour is a rich dude who runs his diesel gen for almost 24hrs daily.
There's this deep hum that irritates. I might consider arranging boys to make his gen disappear angry

I have equally tried to convert him, but he loves diesel too much grin. How do you convert someone who owns several diesel tank farms?

Dont mind my english which is on purpose "i cant fit shouting" hahahahahahah

That line" I might consider arranging boys to make his gen disappear" got my ribs cracking lolz.Funny u
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 7:00am On Apr 19, 2018
davodyguy:
Bug kudos to you, cos you started going Green and clean as far back as 8 years ago.

Some of us only started recently and we hope many more Nigerians embrace the clean energy.

I'm having issues with some of my neighbors now. Ask me why? They have a very terrible noisy generator. I've preached Inverter and solar, these fools claimed no money, but one of them recently bought a car worth 1.2million just to prove a point, cos they can't stand the fact that my wife uses SUV, hence the wife too needed to show off. That's how terrible mentalities of people are.

They run this gen whenever there's no mains power supply for almost 12hours in a 24 hours day, with the noise disturbing the neighborhood. In July, 2017 their 1kva Tiger generator caught fire, but luckily for us, it happened around 8:30pm. I used two of my cars' fire extinguishers to help them prevent disaster.

Thinking buying PMS to fuel gen daily is a sign of being rich is a stupid as a butterfly trying to fly as high as a bird.

I'm sorry I have to express myself to this extent, but that's how Nigerians are.

May God help us

My brother, we have a lot of educated mumus in Nigeria, most of them with one degree or the other. Kindly explain to me why is solar expensive to them and they still on the average own at least 2 solid cars( some 3).
I see them all around, some of my neighbors come to me that they heard "that they can power their freezers/use solar for as low as 150k"
My reply is, you can even power ur all house free of charge! No need to even pay one naira.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Disco01(m): 8:12am On Apr 19, 2018
Oshomo12:

My brother, we have a lot of educated mumus in Nigeria, most of them with one degree or the other. Kindly explain to me why is solar expensive to them and they still on the average own at least 2 solid cars( some 3).
I see them all around, some of my neighbors come to me that they heard "that they can power their freezers/use solar for as low as 150k"
My reply is, you can even power ur all house free of charge! No need to even pay one naira.

How can one power freezers with only a solar budget of only 150k?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durumibaka(m): 8:38am On Apr 19, 2018
pls can someone help me, i want to knw weither Chinese made modifier sine wave inverter of 2000watts can power a small size refrigerator of 100watts, LED TV of 60watts, satellite receiver of 25watts, radio of 120watts.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 9:21am On Apr 19, 2018
durumibaka:
pls can someone help me, i want to knw weither Chinese made modifier sine wave inverter of 2000watts can power a small size refrigerator of 100watts, LED TV of 60watts, satellite receiver of 25watts, radio of 120watts.

Why modified inverter don't you love ur freezer- fridge?

Get the picture of the inverter and possibly product details.

I only hope it is not those toy car type inverters ;
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by S007: 10:51am On Apr 19, 2018
Monlo:

Dont mind my english which is on purpose "i cant fit shouting" hahahahahahah

That line" I might consider arranging boys to make his gen disappear" got my ribs cracking lolz.Funny u

If the Gen is a 500kva noise-minator. 20 boys no fit lift am.
Consider praying the Gen to death.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durumibaka(m): 3:29pm On Apr 19, 2018
durumibaka:
That is the inverter....

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 5:17pm On Apr 19, 2018
For some who have turned solar into a business. I have started to tell my story. How I started AWPS Renewable Energy LTD. I do periodic YouTube videos that I post to my personal page. I hope it is instructive and it teaches you to avoid some of the mistakes I made. Visit my blog and click on the embedded video link. Please share ideas on things that you did to make your business a success.
https://thengwacorner..com/

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 5:43pm On Apr 19, 2018
chris81964:
For some who have turned solar into a business. I have started to tell my story. How I started AWPS Renewable Energy LTD. I do periodic YouTube videos that I post to my personal page. I hope it is instructive and it teaches you to avoid some of the mistakes I made. Visit my blog and click on the embedded video link. Please share ideas on things that you did to make your business a success.
https://thengwacorner..com/

This is awesome, Chris!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 5:48pm On Apr 19, 2018
sinistrian:

This is awesome, Chris!
Thank you. There is great value in shared knowledge
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 7:57pm On Apr 19, 2018
all,
its been more than a year now since I started using my solar water heater.
in the next couple of days I will be doing a review of the journey so far.
a few surprises and a lot of flaks too. it has been anything but a dull
experience.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 8:41pm On Apr 19, 2018
GeorgeD1:
all,
experience.

I look forward to ur review, both d beautiful and d ugly.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 9:02pm On Apr 19, 2018
DMerciful:
I do not know this exulted brand however you did not mention what charge controller you are using. Mustpower idle power consumption is appreciable and this increases with the kva so be mindful of that. your panels is enuf to charge ur batteries and at least augment the inverter gap.....you might need to check if the panels are facing the right angle
Charge controller is Outback Flex Max 80
Please is there any other brand of inverter u can recommend 5kva with good charge charging amps (30A and above) and charging current 56+v.

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by saint2ace(m): 9:21pm On Apr 19, 2018
nonoski:

Charge controller is Outback Flex Max 80
Please is there any other brand of inverter u can recommend 5kva with good charge charging amps (30A and above) and charging current 56+v.

Thanks

Try icellpower inverters, they get the job done. Charging current for the 5.5kva should be around 75A

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 11:30pm On Apr 19, 2018
saint2ace:

Try icellpower inverters, they get the job done. Charging current for the 5.5kva should be around 75A

usually 24v, so nothing new, almost same thing as 4kw 48v mustpower with 31amps charging current

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 4:42am On Apr 20, 2018
please guys what could be the cause of this and what are the implications?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 4:44am On Apr 20, 2018

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by teamsynergy: 7:23am On Apr 20, 2018
foonshur:

did u by any chance put the solar direct on a heavy load or inverter I did it one time and it damaged the diode on d solar module. had to replace the diode. or perhaps the polarity was reversed. not sure bout that though.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 8:45am On Apr 20, 2018
GeorgeD1:
all,
experience.

I trust the master himself.

My regards sir
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 10:38am On Apr 20, 2018
foonshur:

It can be bad quality, lightning strike or somehow reverse voltage applied across panels ( bad connection , BAD MPPT) but only a few of them have failed I guess it may be due to lightning. Do you have a surge protector installed?
Also, is the panel getting partially shaded during midafternoon for some reason?

quote" The use of diodes is as bypass diodes which are placed around every 12 to 24 series connected cells. When a single cell is shaded by an object it becomes reverse biased by all the other cells in the series that are still under illumination. This creates a higher voltage reverse bias across the shaded cells. The shunt defect resistance sites on the cell can now have a much higher voltage across them then the 0.5 to 0.6 volts across the cell in the forward illumination current situation. For 24 series cells every bypass diode the reverse bias voltage is limited by the bypass diode to about 10-13 vdc. Without the bypass diodes the reverse bias can be higher and the result is 'hot spots' at the defect shunt resistance sites that may damage the cell or even create a possible fire hazard within the panel.

A secondary benefit of bypass diodes is to reduce the overall voltage loss due to a shaded section of a panel.

They can be replaced easily - Hopefully available in Nigeria otherwise aliexpress - https://starsolar.aliexpress.com/store/group/Diodes-Fuse/911465_507233122.html
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 12:34pm On Apr 20, 2018
pranil:

I want to believe its due to lightning strike or solar flare cos its been on the same system for about a year now. just discovered the CC senses voltage but no current at all. there are 45 panels on the CC and about 10 with this problem.. my question is could this be the reason the CC not sensing no current at all?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 12:36pm On Apr 20, 2018
teamsynergy:

did u by any chance put the solar direct on a heavy load or inverter I did it one time and it damaged the diode on d solar module. had to replace the diode. or perhaps the polarity was reversed. not sure bout that though.
been on the same system for about a year now.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 12:38pm On Apr 20, 2018
let me add, no surge protection what so ever.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 1:24pm On Apr 20, 2018
Pranil,
Where did you get your Grundfos Scala2 booster pump?
My current pump runs at over 1200w.

I want a low consumption booster pump i can move to my "Essential loads" db for 24/7 operation.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 4:29pm On Apr 20, 2018
foonshur:

I want to believe its due to lightning strike or solar flare cos its been on the same system for about a year now. just discovered the CC senses voltage but no current at all. there are 45 panels on the CC and about 10 with this problem.. my question is could this be the reason the CC not sensing no current at all?

10 out of 45 PVs is alarming. You must have gotten a premium CC to have handled the hasle of such failure within the strings. I know from my Diy experience that where you have 1 or two of such burnt out PV in a string and across parallel, you are bound to have current drop and your CC will be in a perpetual state of struggle to do it's job.
Yes you often register no current as you rightly observed. It is gradually becoming a common experience nowadays with cheap PVs abound in Nigerian market space where our 'SON' is dead.

This is my experience. other diy enthusiastic on the forum can add their rich experiences too
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durumibaka(m): 5:54pm On Apr 20, 2018
durumibaka:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 7:42pm On Apr 20, 2018
Chapter 2. How I became and OEM and funded my start up solar power business.
http://thengwacorner..com/2018/04/chapter-2-pivot.html
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 8:09pm On Apr 20, 2018
efuro:

10 out of 45 PVs is alarming. You must have gotten a premium CC to have handled the hasle of such failure within the strings. I know from my Diy experience that where you have 1 or two of such burnt out PV in a string and across parallel, you are bound to have current drop and your CC will be in a perpetual state of struggle to do it's job.
Yes you often register no current as you rightly observed. It is gradually becoming a common experience nowadays with cheap PVs abound in Nigerian market space where our 'SON' is dead.

This is my experience. other diy enthusiastic on the forum can add their rich experiences too
Not only Nigeria. Internationally professional grid connected operators are complaining about low-quality panels dying prematurely

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2016/09/09/when-bypass-diodes-overheat_100026057/
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 8:33pm On Apr 20, 2018
durumibaka:

it can poer it, but you have been adviced before, modified sine wave inverters are no good, and not efficient as well..waste battery energy anyhow, prone to overheating and sometimes damaging snsitive equipment.. go and buy a normal sinewave inverter..if you can
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 9:14pm On Apr 20, 2018
so haier thermocool have also introduced inverter ac, but it is so expensive...1hp is 189k, unlike lg 129k..... i wonder whats so special in theirs?

https://www.coolworld.com.ng/home-appliances/air-conditioners/haier-thermocool-inverter-air-conditioner-1hp-genpal-whitehsu-09nrg1
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by johnmba: 7:57am On Apr 21, 2018
earthrealm:
so haier thermocool have also introduced inverter ac, but it is so expensive...1hp is 189k, unlike lg 129k..... i wonder whats so special in theirs?

https://www.coolworld.com.ng/home-appliances/air-conditioners/haier-thermocool-inverter-air-conditioner-1hp-genpal-whitehsu-09nrg1

Please what is the advantage of inverter ac

(1) (2) (3) ... (388) (389) (390) (391) (392) (393) (394) ... (1679) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: HeavenlyBang(m), Parser, Danibestguy, Hexzagon and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.