Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,674 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:13 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (437) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (1990059 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) ... (1633) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 1:18pm On Jul 18, 2018
Impressive..... Congratulations.
Waiting for more updates
makavele:
It was past 12 am by now and i gotta be at the office tomorrow; so i quit here;

will continue in the evening.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hancock(m): 5:57pm On Jul 18, 2018
Is it possible to generate maximum watts more than on the rated nameplate of a solar panel?
I have 6 330w Canadian solar panels which is about 1980W combined. I’m surprised to see PVmax output for today as 2029W shocked
Screenshot.....

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 6:25pm On Jul 18, 2018
hancock:
Is it possible to generate maximum watts more than on the rated nameplate of a solar panel?
I have 6 330w Canadian solar panels which is about 1980W combined. I’m surprised to see PVmax output for today as 2029W shocked
Screenshot.....
In cold weather, yes.
In cloud edge glare, yes.
When panels are underrated (to oust the competition), yes.
When charge controllers overstate their performance or data, yes.

Could these variables be stacked? Yes.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hancock(m): 6:59pm On Jul 18, 2018
Saipro:

In cold weather, yes.

Thanks for the explanations.
Just wondering why manufacturers of charge controllers would want to overstate data. That’s suicidal and they can easily be rattled out grin
Samsung comes to mind.......
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 8:33pm On Jul 18, 2018
Saipro:

In cold weather, yes.

in cold weather my observation with cold weather and early morning hours is that the Voc tends to rise (in fact, those are the times you have the max Voc) but the power and current stays minimal... close to zero

personal observation though...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 9:59pm On Jul 18, 2018
Used inverter for sale .

MustPower 3.5KVA, 48V.

Price: 70k.

It has never been fixed neither opened. It's working optimally.

0803 334 3911

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 10:54pm On Jul 18, 2018
This is correct for cold weather and early morning.

What about a 26°C afternoon with full sun and clear skies such as we have seen in the last few days? You can easily overshoot nameplate in that scenario.

mcTrinity:

in cold weather my observation with cold weather and early morning hours is that the Voc tends to rise (in fact, those are the times you have the max Voc) but the power and current stays minimal... close to zero

personal observation though...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 10:55pm On Jul 18, 2018
I concur

Saipro:

In cold weather, yes.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 11:05pm On Jul 18, 2018
Lolz my Oga.

Nearly all CCs overstate their solar harvest data even the vaunted MorningStars and Midnites e.t.c - they are typically over by 2 to 5%.

I once raised this with a tech support guy (brand withheld) who remarked that the issue was not with the accuracy of the CC measurements but rather the accuracy of our own measurement instruments grin e.g your DC clamp meter will give an approximate reading of DC amps - same with a in line shunt which may suffer from heat related and other losses e.t.c at high amps when the resistance of the shunt changes and this is not accounted for in the algorithm of the meter attached to the shunt

So who do you believe? - I would say, if you are within + or - 5% across your other measurement instruments that you are trying to use to verify your CC readings, just accept the CC's reading and move on with your life.

hancock:

Thanks for the explanations.
Just wondering why manufacturers of charge controllers would want to overstate data. That’s suicidal and they can easily be rattled out grin
Samsung comes to mind.......

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 7:38am On Jul 19, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:

What about a 26°C afternoon with full sun and clear skies such as we have seen in the last few days? You can easily overshoot nameplate in that scenario.
Well, ... early in the day, the incident angle of light rays is suboptimal (not to mention the luminous intensity of the sun) thus effective insolation is at it's lowest. Compare that to full sunshine around midday, right after a heavy (or even brief) rain shower.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 7:47am On Jul 19, 2018
I agree my Oga

Saipro:

Well, ... early in the day, the incident angle of light rays is suboptimal (not to mention the luminous intensity of the sun) thus effective insolation is at it's lowest. Compare that to full sunshine around midday, right after a heavy (or even brief) rain shower.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 8:11am On Jul 19, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:

exactly... you can overshoot nameplate data at full sun glare.. at which the weather can't be cold.

as the sun intensity increases, the Voc drops while the power and current increases...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 8:51am On Jul 19, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:

Full sun and clear skies?
It's been raining back to back here for days;
and when it's not raining, its cloudy, dark and hazy
and i have been burning diesel like no man's business
3kw producing just 500w at end of day
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hancock(m): 9:26am On Jul 19, 2018
makavele:

Are you in Lagos? that has been the situation in the past 2 weeks. if not that PHCN has decided to be loyal to augment the shortfall.....
The spike in maximum watts was actually observed just about midday when it stopped raining and the sun came out blasting in full force briefly.
That would tally with one of the variable deduced by oga Saipro
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 12:25pm On Jul 19, 2018
makavele:

You're having it really bad. I feel you. My worst was 1.8kW up until 4pm when the sun burst from the clouds and doubled the harvest over the next 2 hours. Same 3kW PV array. Yingli 250W panels
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 6:11pm On Jul 19, 2018
Used inverter for sale.

Bluegate 5.5KVA, 24V.

Price: 130k.

It has never been fixed neither opened. It's working optimally.

0803 334 3911

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 6:15pm On Jul 19, 2018
JUO:
Flex max 80a fangpusun 160k
Flex max 60a fangpusun 135k
30a-12/24v 35k
50a-12/24v 48k
50aD-12/24v 60k
60a-12/24v/36v/48v 120k.
60aD-12/24v/36v/48v 125k
70a-12/24v/36v/48v 130k
45a-12/24v/36v/48v 70k
MPPT- CONTROL 16K
epever 30a 12/24v (CN) 35k
epever 30a 12/24v 38k
epever 40a 12/24v
epever 40AN 12/24v 62k
Esmart3 60a 12/24/48v 100k
96v-384v Mppt call for price

BMV 702 FANGPUSUN 42K
BMV 700 FANGPUSUN 38K

Battery balancer Ha02 48v 35k
Battery balancer Fangpusun 24v 25k

Watts meter with clock and 50Hz/60Hz calculation 7k
PROGRAMMABLE Digital timer 15/16a 5k din rail
PROGRAMMABLE Digital timer 25a 7k din rail/wall mount

DC Breaker 125v/10-63a 3k
Midnight classic 150v/15a 7k
MidNite Solar Surge Protection Device MNSPD-300-AC 50k
MidNite Solar Surge Protection Device MNSPD-300-DC 50k

Watts meter DC 6-100V/100A 9K
Watts meter AC 220V/100A

Felicity inverter
3.5kva/24v 145k
5kva/48v 175k

Icellpower
1.5kva/12v with 30a charger 74k
3.5kva/24v with 40a charger 180k
5kva/24v with 45a charger 230k

ATS 220V/63A single phase 16k
ATS 220V/100A three phase 45k

Solar water heater 100L-200L stainless steel with AC function and water level call for price
DC/AC CEILING FAN 56' 12V/30W, REGULATOR, REMOTE CONTROL INCLUDED 25k

Lithium battery 12v/120ah 180k

080-987-337-09-Nextgen global services
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 7:01pm On Jul 19, 2018
makavele:

The opposite has been the case here in Abuja (I know I just jinxed the weather).. Its been mostly clear blue skies with patches of cloud here and there.. you can see the logs from my weakest array.. which 3 days ago recorded my highest recorded peak of the year. over 800w for a 880w array. http://energy.bobby.com.ng/dashboard/view?id=7
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 7:33pm On Jul 19, 2018
Here in Lekki Lagos, I have recorded 24kWH to 29kWH harvest at least twice in the last two weeks grin and this from a 7.6kW West facing array.

Sadly I don't really pay attention to individual array peaks but I'll check later today.

bigrovar:

The opposite has been the case here in Abuja (I know I just jinxed the weather).. Its been mostly clear blue skies with patches of cloud here and there.. you can see the logs from my weakest array.. which 3 days ago recorded my highest recorded peak of the year. over 800w for a 880w array. http://energy.bobby.com.ng/dashboard/view?id=7
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:21pm On Jul 19, 2018
WE BUY DEAD/SCRAP BATTERIES!!!

We also buy off scrap/dead batteries from any state (T&C applies) .

12v 200a ..... N16,000
12v 150a.......N12,000
12v 100a.......N8,000

Contact,
Smartcell global services
081-350-31951

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 9:42pm On Jul 19, 2018
Sir, with your permission, I do like to lift the content of one of the articles in website to our website and we'll adequately reference you.

Your article URL is http://bobby.com.ng/2017/06/28/felicity-inverter-a-short-review/

Our website is http://JezPower.com

Thank you.

bigrovar:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 4:53pm On Jul 20, 2018
kiekie1:
We recently acquired fairly used telecoms batteries and it came out good after individual testing & reading smiley .

Battery brand name: Ritar
Capacity: 12v 105a
Weight: 30/32kg
Description: Front access telecom battery
Price : N27,000 per unit

Quantity procured : 20 units
Sold: 10 units
In stock : 10 units left
Deliveries : We waybill to any state (T&C applies)

Sir Frankie
081-350-31951

Quantity procured : 20 units
Sold: 19 units
In stock : 1 unit left
Deliveries : We waybill to any state (T&C applies)
Sir Frankie
081-350-31951

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by garbamaza: 4:59pm On Jul 20, 2018
Dear Gurus,
What's the consequences of combining 2-12v 150ah AGM batteries and a 12v 200ah to a 36v inverter.
Thanks you.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 5:15pm On Jul 20, 2018
Nothing much Sir.

While discharging/using the batteries the the 150Ah ones will give up all the useable power in them and be greatly stressed in the process - the 200Ah will still have some power left in it so it should not strain as much.

When charging the 150Ah batteries will be overcharged and stressed/boiled in the process. The 200Ah battery may not get a full charge.

Very soon all the 3 batteries will die. The 150Ah ones will die first from over charge and over discharge while the 200Ah one will die later from sulfation and undercharging.

garbamaza:
Dear Gurus,
What's the consequences of combining 2-12v 150ah AGM batteries and a 12v 200ah to a 36v inverter.
Thanks you.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by S007: 9:33pm On Jul 20, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Nothing much Sir.

While discharging/using the batteries the the 150Ah ones will give up all the useable power in them and be greatly stressed in the process - the 200Ah will still have some power left in it so it should not strain as much.

When charging the 150Ah batteries will be overcharged and stressed/boiled in the process. The 200Ah battery may not get a full charge.

Very soon all the 3 batteries will die. The 150Ah ones will die first from over charge and over discharge while the 200Ah one will die later from sulfation and undercharging.

What an analogy. All die na die. The end result will be to sell the batteries to Kiekie as scrap.

7 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 10:40pm On Jul 20, 2018
And it's a wrap folks . . .

So I took Mr Niyi's advice and gave the busbars some good spacing to prevent stories that touch,

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 10:41pm On Jul 20, 2018
Both bars installed and onto the next one . . .

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 10:43pm On Jul 20, 2018
And the final look . . .

Replaced the sockets with 20A switches for input and output disconnect; the 3rd one up is for the automatic water pressure booster.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 10:48pm On Jul 20, 2018
So at is my battery bank stands at: 19680 kWh and panels at 3kWp.

The only issue I am having now is some of my batteries are out of sync.

Would have to order more balancers before it's too late.

And I think I would have to create a dedicated earthing rod brouhaha for the inverter system; because

I am having issues with that annoying un-grounded current flowing through the inverter chassis when I am standing barefoot on the floor.

How do I fix this please?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by S007: 1:49am On Jul 21, 2018
quote author=makavele post=69564967]And the final look . . .

Replaced the sockets with 20A switches for input and output disconnect; the 3rd one up is for the automatic water pressure booster.

[/quote]

makavele:
So at is my battery bank stands at: 19680 kWh and panels at 3kWp.

The only issue I am having now is some of my batteries are out of sync.

Would have to order more balancers before it's too late.

And I think I would have to create a dedicated earthing rod brouhaha for the inverter system; because

I am having issues with that annoying un-grounded current flowing through the inverter chassis when I am standing barefoot on the floor.

How do I fix this please?

What a wonderful DIY job. I have seen quite a few DIY and ones done by 'installers'. This one will rank among the very good ones. Board is well arranged. Cables are well crimped, insulated and routed. I can connect with your thought process. I know you must have spent a lot of times thinking things through. It is not easy. Weldone sir!

I have the following suggestions to make. You have already done almost all the hard work so these are probably improvement opportunities.

1. Replace the 20A switches with AC circuit breakers. Circuit breakers are the right component for your inverter input and output. They will serve two purpose. They will serve as disconnect and they will also protect your cables and inverter in the day of trouble. Cost is about the same as 20A switches.

2. Looking at the final picture, I can not see any protection for your inverter cable to battery. If it is there all well and good. If it is not there, there are different methods you can use. You can use a battery disconnect in series with an inline fuse. Alternatively you can use a DC breaker which will serve as both disconnect and protection. I prefer the DC breaker option.

3. For the battery issues, HA02 will do the magic. Oga Niyi has done justice to this one already.

4. Earthing.... earthing issues discussed some pages back. There is no 'one rule fits all' All inverters are not same. One good starting point will be to look at your inverter manual for earthing requirements, then move forward from there.
To avoid writing an epistle I have to stop here.

Weldone sir!

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 7:04am On Jul 21, 2018
Most times epistles are necessary S007.

Great job Makavele!

I second the motion above.
A 6-way DB for your AC in/out, booster pump etc. This will fit nicely in that space cluttered with 20A switches.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 8:00am On Jul 21, 2018
makavele:
And the final look . . .

Congratulations lot of hard work has gone in it .

The installation looks to me similar to Salvador Dali's painting. smiley Beautiful but not following the standards
All wires are existing at an odd angle from the machines.
the first rule of electrical wiring is the wires exist straight out of the box and then bent away on the insulation portion preferable after strain relief.
When you open a normal 13 amp plug you will see that the space inside is left for wire to come out and bend and then clamped together on insulation before it exists the plug to avoid failure
This is to avoid straining the connector and the wire near it's weakest point ( as it is stripped for the connection)

this guide (especially point 5 and 6 ) will be useful for the D.i.y. installers - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WqDrBT0sB5MrhoB0Joev8wTeCunOYs6F/view?usp=sharing

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) ... (1633) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: adibo(m), martinlala(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.