Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,846 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:17 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (72) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (1990366 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) ... (1634) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 3:43am On Aug 18, 2014
Wonderful! So this thread is still alive??
i thought the recent tsunami swept it away. grin grin

The rains/cloud cover has really affected me.
For the first time in months, i get an LBCO alarm/system shutdown @ 48v.
My array is 2000w, and battery bank of 200aH.

I suspect i need to double my array, and increase my battery bank to 520aH to escape history repeating itself.
What are your thoughts??

p.s: My base is Calabar, and i understand we have the highest rainfall in the country.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 8:40am On Aug 18, 2014
obimind: I bought a 1.4kva inverter. 2 pieces of 200ah battery. The product is MPOWER. So far it's been powering my home appliances without any challenge. The challenge I have now is that my area hardly have light from phcn which leaves me with no option than to charge my inverter with my generator. I'm tired of charging my inverter with generator. If I'm to go for solar, what size of solar panel & what size of mppt charge controller will I go for? pls gurus in the house I await ur reply.

chris81964:
What is your consumption? I can help you calculate what your needs are if you can tell me what your consumption is. Is your system 12 or 24 Volts? This will limit the size of the panels you get. Give more details and we can advise

...or just go to page 1 of thr thread and see how to make a rough estimate yourself.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 1:01pm On Aug 18, 2014
Doubling the array is not necessarily a solution. Check your charge controller first. Is it capable of handling all 2kw? That will be the first suspect. Then I will check my batteries to make sure they are not going bad. 9600 watts in your battery is a lot. I am advocate of more battery, but before you purchase additional batteries check your charge controller.

fntekim: Wonderful! So this thread is still alive??

I suspect i need to double my array, and increase my battery bank to 520aH to escape history repeating itself.
What are your thoughts??

p.s: My base is Calabar, and i understand we have the highest rainfall in the country.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hazelj: 1:27pm On Aug 18, 2014
Hello all,
I have a 2Kw Mustpower Inverter for sale @40k. The inverter was barely used for 2 months. Reason for sale is that i upgraded to a different system. The inverter is in perfect condition and is sold for about 70k brand new. Anybody interested can reach me on 08146446862 or email jovib7@yahoo.com
Don't miss this wonderful deal

See the tech Specs below.
Features:
LCD Display, 2000W, 24 VDC, 35A, input voltage: 230V AC, output voltage: 230V AC 50Hz
Voltage Waveform: Pure Sine wave
Efficiency (Normal mode) : 99%
Supports inductive loads
Alarm on battery: Low battery & Battery over voltage
Alarm on abnormal operation: Over load, Short-circuit, & Over heat
Size (LxWxH): 580mm x315mm x300mm
G.W(Kg): 2000W/ 21.8kg
Main Features:

Durable construction for long life under extreme environmental conditions
Low idle current (less than 1 watt) conserves energy when no loads are present
Soft start capability for starting heavy loads
Built-in starting control circuits for two- and three-wire generator starting systems
Simplified controls with a snap-on cover that protects settings from being accidentally changed
Better thermal performance allows full output power to 50°C (122°F) without de-rating
High surge capacity starts more difficult loads and handles overload conditions reliably
Durable powder coated, corrosion resistant steel chassis
Automatic three-stage battery charger (bulk, absorption, and float) and battery equalization
New power factor corrected (PFC) charging, combined with a sophisticated multi-stage battery charging algorithm, reduces electricity draw and generator run-time
Pure copper transformer inside and pure copper DC terninal port outside

(Modify) (Quote) (Report)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zoboizee: 5:40pm On Aug 18, 2014
pls guys, is sukam solar hybrid inverter reliable and worth buying? thinking of buying one.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 6:36pm On Aug 18, 2014
Panels delivered on site for installation of a total of 18.815kW array in VI, Lagos.
Engineers on site and work begins tomorrow.

You can follow us on our facebook page 'PBASE Solar' for updates on this installation.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 6:57pm On Aug 18, 2014
fntekim: Wonderful! So this thread is still alive??

What are your thoughts??

Since you are still connected to the grid and you have a good inverter I think you might want to do something to your battery bank. 9600wh is small for a home. At least 200ah more will do. You can add panels latter. Your charge contoller is at it's peak so you'll need another charge controller when you are increasing your panels
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 11:02pm On Aug 18, 2014
chris81964:

You can't run a grid tied system in Nigeria.

correct! and that's exactly my point. anybody trying to run a hybrid system without batteries may well
be living in dreamland.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 11:12pm On Aug 18, 2014
bodejohn:

I have been very busy lately...
Sure the game is on and I just saw your call for action...I will leave you a note and put the call through tomorrow.

brother,

ts-rm-2 arrived wafi land safely. its already installed and firing as we speak.
thanks a million! now that is one less piece of damaged bos equipment to worry
about.

next stop will be the bls and i'll be knocking on totalgreen's door for that. smiley

hmmmmm! strange! how come i'm getting this feeling that i've been here before?! angry

yeah, that's what thunder & lightning can do to your system! grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 11:36pm On Aug 18, 2014
chris81964: Doubling the array is not necessarily a solution. Check your charge controller first. Is it capable of handling all 2kw? That will be the first suspect. Then I will check my batteries to make sure they are not going bad. 9600 watts in your battery is a lot. I am advocate of more battery, but before you purchase additional batteries check your charge controller.

Actually, only 4800wh is available, as i never discharge my batteries beyond 50%.
My charge controller is an Outback flexmax 60, its in top notch condition.
48v system with my charge controller limiting at 60A, can handle a 2880w array.
From the logs, the highest instantaneous harvest i've seen is 1750w in best weather.

i agree i need to double my batteries, but with my array producing so little, my batteries will be undercharged.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 12:12am On Aug 19, 2014
fntekim:
Actually, only 4800wh is available, as i never discharge my batteries beyond 50%.
My charge controller is an Outback flexmax 60, its in top notch condition.
48v system with my charge controller limiting at 60A, can handle a 2880w array.
From the logs, the highest instantaneous harvest i've seen is 1750w in best weather.

i agree i need to double my batteries, but with my array producing so little, my batteries will be undercharged.

I it should not have too much difficulty charging your additional batteries. Get the batteries and give that a shot. make sure your cables are adequately sized. They become an issue once you stress your system.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 12:19am On Aug 19, 2014
richmon74:

Since you are still connected to the grid and you have a good inverter I think you might want to do something to your battery bank. 9600wh is small for a home. At least 200ah more will do. You can add panels latter. Your charge contoller is at it's peak so you'll need another charge controller when you are increasing your panels
The power supply from the grid in my area is okay. Doubling my battery bank will give me peace of mind.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 12:24am On Aug 19, 2014
chris81964:

I it should not have too much difficulty charging your additional batteries. Get the batteries and give that a shot. make sure your cables are adequately sized. They become an issue once you stress your system.
We may need to insure our solar backup systems, imagine one yeye cable destroying a multi million naira investment angry shocked
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bode4real(m): 11:31am On Aug 19, 2014
hazelj: Hello all,
I have a 2Kw Mustpower Inverter for sale @40k. The inverter was barely used for 2 months. Reason for sale is that i upgraded to a different system. The inverter is in perfect condition and is sold for about 70k brand new. Anybody interested can reach me on 08146446862 or email jovib7@yahoo.com

Features:
LCD Display, 2000W, 24 VDC, 35A, input voltage: 230V AC, output voltage: 230V AC 50Hz
Supports inductive loads
Main Features:

Built-in starting control circuits for two- and three-wire generator starting systems
Simplified controls with a snap-on cover that protects settings from being accidentally changed
Better thermal performance allows full output power to 50°C (122°F) without de-rating
High surge capacity starts more difficult loads and handles overload conditions reliably
Automatic three-stage battery charger (bulk, absorption, and float) and battery equalization
New power factor corrected (PFC) charging, combined with a sophisticated multi-stage battery charging algorithm, reduces electricity draw and generator run-time

pls where is your lociation?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bode4real(m): 4:06pm On Aug 20, 2014
hazelj: Hello all,

Features:
Supports inductive loads
Main Features:

pik ur call and let us talk on it
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by obimind(m): 4:35pm On Aug 20, 2014
For those asking for my consumption... Presently I use four fans, two LED TV 32inches and five energy saver bulbs. Now my question goes again; What size of solar panel will suit my consumption. 2ndly what size of charge controller shld I go for?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 2:58am On Aug 21, 2014
obimind: For those asking for my consumption... Presently I use four fans, two LED TV 32inches and five energy saver bulbs. Now my question goes again; What size of solar panel will suit my consumption. 2ndly what size of charge controller shld I go for?
I did not read where you told us what you want to charge with the panels. Do you have an inverter and batteries or are you looking to put together a system. If you have an existing system what is the voltage and how many AH do you have?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 12:12pm On Aug 21, 2014
Good day, the whole house: I am a very newbie to Nairaland and I was pointed to this forum by a friend that saw my suffering trying to ensure some form of constant power supply to my small establishment 24-7!
You cannot imagine my joy when I came here and I saw the colossal work, postings, pictures and info here!!! I am finally home! !
By the way it took me about 3 weeks to read through from page 1 till 71( I guess I missed some good info from the data loss issues ) but I cannot but bow for the gurus in the house!!!!!
I am on my tenth generator in 4 years ( both petrol and diesel) with a monthly budget of about 100K on fuel minus maintenance!! Oh I have suffered!
My experience with inverter systems have been turbulent (I started with the locally made ones - 3 fire accidents at least) and I could now see my numerous errors plainly!

Presently I am using a 1.4kva Sukam 24V system with two 165amp/ 10 hrs batteries and enjoying it. I will definitely upgrade in the next few weeks!

Pls do anybody have info for or against Century or Blugate 3.5 kva 24V inverters?

Thank you once again guys!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 12:32pm On Aug 21, 2014
durodee: I am on my tenth generator in 4 years ( both petrol and diesel) with a monthly budget of about 100K on fuel minus maintenance!! Oh I have suffered!
My experience with inverter systems have been turbulent (I started with the locally made ones - 3 fire accidents at least) and I could now see my numerous errors plainly!

Presently I am using a 1.4kva Sukam 24V system with two 165amp/ 10 hrs batteries and enjoying it. I will definitely upgrade in the next few weeks!

Pls do anybody have info for or against Century or Blugate 3.5 kva 24V inverters?

Thank you once again guys!

Why are you doing the upgrade? What do you want to accomplish with the upgrade. There are so many inverter brands in the Nigeria market. If you have had good experiences with the Sukam why would you consider another manufacturer? Everyone including me will tell you that the product we sell is the best. The user experience is what is the ultimate arbiter. The fires you experienced could happen with any manufacturer if you have a poor installation. Don't skimp on the quality of the materials and the protection you can add to your systems. There should be an interrupt device and or a fuse between your inverter and battery. The cables you be thick. As thick as you can get away with.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 4:29pm On Aug 21, 2014
chris81964:

Why are you doing the upgrade? What do you want to accomplish with the upgrade. There are so many inverter brands in the Nigeria market. If you have had good experiences with the Sukam why would you consider another manufacturer? Everyone including me will tell you that the product we sell is the best. The user experience is what is the ultimate arbiter. The fires you experienced could happen with any manufacturer if you have a poor installation. Don't skimp on the quality of the materials and the protection you can add to your systems. There should be an interrupt device and or a fuse between your inverter and battery. The cables you be thick. As thick as you can get away with.
Thanks chris81964. I planning an upgrade mainly because my energy need will increase in the next few weeks and my current 1.4kva will not be adequate for my @1.5kwh need nor be able to charge my proposed bank of 8 200amp/c10 12V batteries. I am moving house and the new site is completely off grid. My eventual destination is solar but I want to start with something not too expensive but with the ability to rapidly charge my bank if I am using a genset. I read that Century and Bluegate have a 70amp Max charger that was why my interest. I know sukam has a 3.5kva too but being cash trapped now, I was looking for cheaper but a bit reliable inverter to use meanwhile.
The main culprit in the incessant fire incidents was NEPA!!!!! 300v surges fried my stab (Century) and the locally made inverters; seems Sukam was able to performed better - got blown once but easily repaired locally.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by obimind(m): 6:41pm On Aug 21, 2014
chris81964:
I did not read where you told us what you want to charge with the panels. Do you have an inverter and batteries or are you looking to put together a system. If you have an existing system what is the voltage and how many AH do you have?
Yes I have a 1.4kva inverter,24 volts. 2 set of 200ah battery. The connection is in series.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 1:15am On Aug 22, 2014
HURRY HURRY HURRY !!!!!!

MUST POWER 3000watts 24v pure sinewave power inverter " Inbuilt 70a Peak Charging Current" .... @ 100k

MUST POWER 6000watts 48v pure sinewave power inverter " Inbuilt 70a Peak Charging Current" .... @ 160k

1. USA TROJAN T105-RE Premium Line Flooded Lead Acid Battery 6V (225AH)20hr Rate ..... @ 34k

2. USA TROJAN J185P-AC Signature Line Flooded Lead-Acid Battery 12V (205AH) 20hr Rate .... @ 52k

MERCURY & BLUEGATE 3.5kva 24v Pure sinewave lcd inverter (inbuilt 70ahm intelligent max charger for large battery bank) #charges with Gen unlike Cyberpower,, easy installation unlike cyberpower,,powers heavier appliances"inductive/resistive/motors/rectifier loads" with the help of 40 inbuilt powerful mosfets driving out o/p capacity of 2500w and max surge protect of 7500w under 0.7 power factor.......... @ 90k

All our products come with 1 year Warranty.

CALL SIR FRANKIE NOW FOR SUPPLIES / WAYBILLS +2348135031951 .... THANKS
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 7:08pm On Aug 22, 2014
obimind:
Yes I have a 1.4kva inverter,24 volts. 2 set of 200ah battery. The connection is in series.

Get a 30 AMP charge controller and about 500 Watts in panels and you will be fine. If you can find an MPPT controller at a reasonable price it will be your best bet

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 12:03am On Aug 23, 2014
This MINI-GRID installation is still ongoing. We've done 36 pcs of 265W Solarworld panels on day one (though it was a half day job) and the remaining 17 will be done the next day.

I appreciate every member of this thread that showed up at site to give us their moral support.

The details of the complete installation will be on our facebook page 'PBASE Solar'

We will welcome any reasonable question as long as it won't infringe on our business privacy.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by obimind(m): 1:35am On Aug 23, 2014
chris81964:

Get a 30 AMP charge controller and about 500 Watts in panels and you will be fine. If you can find an MPPT controller at a reasonable price it will be your best bet
Talking abt charge controllers, I must confess that I appreciate the level of enlightenment I've gotten from this thread. How can one distinguish btw an MPPT charge controller & a PWM
charge controller?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 4:00pm On Aug 24, 2014
obimind:
Talking abt charge controllers, I must confess that I appreciate the level of enlightenment I've gotten from this thread. How can one distinguish btw an MPPT charge controller & a PWM
charge controller?
The biggest difference is the price. An MPPT cost almost double. On the outside you can't tell. Some Chinese manufacturers do sell a PWM as MPPT, so be careful. All MPPT have PWM capabilities. If you need to get that extra 30% from your array MPPT is worth the money.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 8:57am On Aug 25, 2014
my oga

always available

GeorgeD1:

brother,

ts-rm-2 arrived wafi land safely. its already installed and firing as we speak.
thanks a million! now that is one less piece of damaged bos equipment to worry
about.

next stop will be the bls and i'll be knocking on totalgreen's door for that. smiley

hmmmmm! strange! how come i'm getting this feeling that i've been here before?! angry

yeah, that's what thunder & lightning can do to your system! grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 9:03am On Aug 25, 2014
guy,
growing well... nice one

richmon74: This MINI-GRID installation is still ongoing. We've done 36 pcs of 265W Solarworld panels on day one (though it was a half day job) and the remaining 17 will be done the next day.

I appreciate every member of this thread that showed up at site to give us their moral support.

The details of the complete installation will be on our facebook page 'PBASE Solar'

We will welcome any reasonable question as long as it won't infringe on our business privacy.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bode4real(m): 4:23pm On Aug 25, 2014
@all,
I need a 2500va/24volt inverter, pls need brand sugestions.
thx

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by obimind(m): 4:35pm On Aug 25, 2014
chris81964:
The biggest difference is the price. An MPPT cost almost double. On the outside you can't tell. Some Chinese manufacturers do sell a PWM as MPPT, so be careful. All MPPT have PWM capabilities. If you need to get that extra 30% from your array MPPT is worth the money.
Thanks bro.... I sincerely do appreciate.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 7:57pm On Aug 25, 2014
TotalGreen: my oga

always available

hello totalgreen,

its been quite a while. nice to see you're back.

(1) (2) (3) ... (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) ... (1634) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Kendzyma(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.