Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,677 members, 7,801,952 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (80) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2030961 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (1666) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ilenaira: 10:42am On Dec 17, 2014
Isolator, breakers and Charge Controller. The two green lights means good news from solar array and battery state.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ilenaira: 10:50am On Dec 17, 2014
Housed back-up generator. We fashioned a fan for drawing cooling air and pushing out exhaust gases into the sound baffling. Even though I don't intend to use it much, the noise reduction from the simple measures was surprising. The fan itself is powered by the gen, so there is no chance of overheating / fire. (the black marks on the exhaust holes are oil stains rather than burning foam smiley )

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 11:36am On Dec 17, 2014
Very lovely setup, but your cables are flying all over the place...
Do you have plans to make them neat?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ilenaira: 11:51am On Dec 17, 2014
Barezzi:
Very lovely setup, but your cables are flying all over the place...
Do you have plans to make them neat?

Thank you @Barezzi, the best intentions are always spoilt by our common enemy called time. Yes, I will make them neater, bigger fish to fry first.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 12:59pm On Dec 17, 2014
@ilenaira
Any chance you will open source the design of your generator silencer box? Please?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ilenaira: 1:38pm On Dec 17, 2014
My brother, I will. I'll post a video of the sound reduction when I escape my meeting later today and I may attempt a proper drawing and parts list if I get the time.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 2:22pm On Dec 17, 2014
ilenaira
I'm sure your generator will be redundant.
Once your production exceeds demand, and with ur enviable battery bank, I doubt you'll start that ur gen in a very long time.
By the way, what fire protection/suppression systems have u put in place, in the unlikely event that ur gen ignites the foam tongue
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ilenaira: 2:34pm On Dec 17, 2014
Barezzi:
ilenaira
I'm sure your generator will be redundant.
Once your production exceeds demand, and with ur enviable battery bank, I doubt you'll start that ur gen in a very long time.
By the way, what fire protection/suppression systems have u put in place, in the unlikely event that ur gen ignites the foam tongue

I sincerely hope so o. I'm just glad the panels are on the flat roof as opposed to the main house roof. When I cleaned them recently, the CCs recorded a big spike in PV input immediately.

As for fire protection, the cooling fan is to ensure things don't get too hot to reach that level. So, apart from an extinguisher (which is useless if no-one witnesses the fire), there's nada.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 3:06pm On Dec 17, 2014
ilenaira:

As for fire protection, the cooling fan is to ensure things don't get too hot to reach that level. So, apart from an extinguisher (which is useless if no-one witnesses the fire), there's nada.

You could incorporate a smoke or heat detector to the start/stop switch of the gen.
Upon sensing excessive heat or smoke, it'll automatically shutdown the gen.

I sold my gen many moons ago, and my setup is not half as good as yours...
I use my inverter for everything in my house, apart from the heaters & ac
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by salam12(m): 4:04pm On Dec 17, 2014
ilenaira:

I sincerely hope so o. I'm just glad the panels are on the flat roof as opposed to the main house roof. When I cleaned them recently, the CCs recorded a big spike in PV input immediately.

With massive set-up you have and good power management, that your generator will be completely useless. For almost a year running now, my generators have been redundant. Just occupying space; gave out one to create more space in the compound. The existing set up you have with the large battery bank, you can completely ask NEPA/PHCN to disconnect the service line from your house. Incorporate timing unit to necessary water heaters for hot water purpose and you can live completely off grid.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 4:25pm On Dec 18, 2014
I saw this and decided to share
http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-angle-calculator.html

does this mean solar panel shouldn't be permanent? ( installation)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 4:46pm On Dec 18, 2014
Good stuff...
I go add am to my war chest!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 8:37pm On Dec 18, 2014
@ ilenaira do you really need generator? with my 390w I get close to 3kwh on a good day. why don't you add more batteries. the fuel I bought N65 in 2011 is still in my generator. I hate generator
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ilenaira: 12:19am On Dec 19, 2014
@JUO, the generator came about as a result of two things. 1. The rubbish gen that wrecked my phone and 2, the worrying results I got in the rainy month of June. I expect it to be hardly used but it is comforting to know that a few consecutive days of cloudy weather and just four hours of it would completely top up the battery bank.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 7:13am On Dec 19, 2014
I think you need to reposition your panel because 30a on that huge installation is so little
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 10:56am On Dec 19, 2014
JUO:
I think you need to reposition your panel because 30a on that huge installation is so little
My thoughts exactly...
I have never seen up to 32A from my 2.1kw array. Max has been 31A+ going to my 200Ah battery bank.
Thanks to Bodejohn, I had to do a reassessment of my energy needs/production.
My daily energy use is in the 15kwh region.
With everyone home this festive season, my consumption will be maxed for the next one month!

For 50% DOD, ignoring system losses, my battery bank capacity should be 30kwh. For a 48v system, this translates
to 625Ah!

My observations:
From my 200Ah, 48V bank @ 50% DOD, I can only access ~5kwh.
Yesterday, I had a record production of 6.5kwh by 4pm! but by 7pm, my inverter tripped!! angry angry
If not for good ol PHCN, I would've slept in darkness...

So, if my daytime production of 6.5kwh was exhausted by 7pm, this would imply my night time demand is ~8.5kwh.
Instead of designing my system for 15kwh daily consumption, why not for night time demand of say 9kwh?

9kwh*2/48v = 375Ah!

Doubling my bank to 400Ah instead of 625Ah will solve my current wahala...
Barezzi & Sons Nig Ltd will save over N200k by this intervention! grin grin

What are your thoughts??
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by RipVanWink: 11:03am On Dec 19, 2014
JUO:
@ ilenaira do you really need generator? with my 390w I get close to 3kwh on a good day. why don't you add more batteries. the fuel I bought N65 in 2011 is still in my generator. I hate generator

sorry lemme understand u well........with 390w panel u get a daily harvest of 3kwh?!, i find this hard to believe, the max i hv ever got from my 1kw panel is isbout 4600wh
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 11:39am On Dec 19, 2014
salam12:

My set up of 3.6KW panel and 520AH batteries (2 string of 260AH in parallel) have been delivering above 30A charging current. This depend on draw down overnight on batteries and sun intensity.
I'm interested in ur battery spec.
How much are they??
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ilenaira: 1:07pm On Dec 19, 2014
@JUO et al, thanks for your thoughts but I think we're running away with an anecdotal comment here. We can better judge the performance when it is based on logged/recorded data rather than my momentary observation when still setting up. I'll get around to that soon.

Also, the choice of panel position was based on getting the best all year performance in the absence of a sun tracker system. I used a combination of sources on the internet, an android app (Sun Surveyor) and a Tenmars light metre to check before mounting the panels. I will of course, revisit it to ensure I'm getting the best possible yields.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by salam12(m): 6:16pm On Dec 19, 2014
Barezzi:

I'm interested in ur battery spec.
How much are they??

Here is the battery spec. Got them via a friend shipping stuff from China.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:33pm On Dec 19, 2014
ilenaira:
Brackets for tilt, cooling and securing

Nice concept pal !
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ilenaira: 11:32pm On Dec 20, 2014
tundebabzy:
@ilenaira
Any chance you will open source the design of your generator silencer box? Please?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nhNWB4WsVf
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 11:49pm On Dec 20, 2014
PROFESSIONAL SOLAR MOUNTS AND ACCESSORIES!!!

Good news to all Solar Enthusiasts and Commercial installers!

We now have for sale professional solar mounts and accessories which will help your work to have the following characteristics;
- look neat
- have a secure and firm installation
- have a professional feel
- fast and flawless installation
- have proper airflow
- easy inclination of panels between 10 - 60 degrees
- easy dismantling
- etc

They are made up of the following components:

1. Rails
2. L-Foot
3. Mid Clamp
4. End Clamp
5. Rail Joiners
6. Adjustable Front Leg
7. Adjustable Rear Leg

contact us for your supply using the following contacts:
phone/whatsapp: 08023033135, 08182218868
email: contact@pbasesolar.com

view the installation video using this system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzW5X1ZOL5w

We offer detail assistance on how to use the mounts if you buy one.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 11:51pm On Dec 20, 2014
This is what it looks like after installation

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 11:51pm On Dec 20, 2014
when installing with inclination

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 12:02am On Dec 21, 2014
@ RipVanWink sorry to disappoint you but that is the truth. remember I said close to 3khw that means I get over 2khw. presently I use ep solar cc, the option of Watts was not included on this model. I will go back to ipanda esmart where u see every activity on a computer screen and post it
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 12:03am On Dec 21, 2014
Barezzi:

My thoughts exactly...
I have never seen up to 32A from my 2.1kw array. Max has been 31A+ going to my 200Ah battery bank.
Thanks to Bodejohn, I had to do a reassessment of my energy needs/production.
My daily energy use is in the 15kwh region.
With everyone home this festive season, my consumption will be maxed for the next one month!

For 50% DOD, ignoring system losses, my battery bank capacity should be 30kwh. For a 48v system, this translates
to 625Ah!

My observations:
From my 200Ah, 48V bank @ 50% DOD, I can only access ~5kwh.
Yesterday, I had a record production of 6.5kwh by 4pm! but by 7pm, my inverter tripped!! angry angry
If not for good ol PHCN, I would've slept in darkness...

So, if my daytime production of 6.5kwh was exhausted by 7pm, this would imply my night time demand is ~8.5kwh.
Instead of designing my system for 15kwh daily consumption, why not for night time demand of say 9kwh?

9kwh*2/48v = 375Ah!

Doubling my bank to 400Ah instead of 625Ah will solve my current wahala...
Barezzi & Sons Nig Ltd will save over N200k by this intervention! grin grin

What are your thoughts??

I hope I understand your calculations well. If so, my question to you is how will you replenish the lost 9kwh of energy in the night since all the generated 7kwh from the solar will be used up in the day?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 12:12am On Dec 21, 2014
durodee:

On a different issue entirely, when looking at the 2nd picture attached to the quoted post above, it seems the panels were all not all installed with the same elevation. Wouldn't that affect output or it was just looking like that in the picture?

Hi Sir

i'm sorry for the delayed response.
The two sets of panels are not on the same elevation and they don't affect the output because they are both on the sale SS direction without any hindrance to sunlight.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 12:26am On Dec 21, 2014
RipVanWink:

sorry lemme understand u well........with 390w panel u get a daily harvest of 3kwh?!, i find this hard to believe, the max i hv ever got from my 1kw panel is isbout 4600wh

Your location matters on this. JUO said on a good day which means on that good day his solar panels received sunlight for between 8 to 10 hour and 3kwh is very possible. So if you are restricted to 4600wh it could be as a result of one of the following reasons;

It could be your panels are not generating it's full capacity or that you are limited to 5hrs of sunlight only. It could also be that there is something not properly done in your set up or maybe your nameplate value is defective.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 12:46am On Dec 21, 2014
ilenaira:
My brothers, I've been missing in action as this thread rumbles on. I actually carried out my installation in June and had all the intentions of dazzling you all with my handiwork. It was all going well until I plugged my new phone with the pictures into a socket while running a generator before completing the work. As it turned out, the gen was putting out fluctuating voltage and it promptly wrecked my new phone. That was the end of my bright idea of a photo-diary of the installation sad .

Undeterred, I soldiered on and managed to complete the installation to just over 50% of the design capacity, before I had to get back to work. I'm hoping to add the additional panels soon.

Briefly, the system design is 2 x 3kW arrays for a total of 6kW. To date I've installed 12 panels at 300W (6 per array) for a total of 3.6kW.
Each array has its own charge controller serving a dedicated 48V battery bank. The two banks are then combined in parallel prior the inverter/charger.

A switch-over on the main board allows me to charge the batteries through the inverter/charger from either N.E.P.A (wishful thinking) or generator on consecutive cloudy days. The inverter I'm using can automatically switch between utility (NEPA / GEN) or DC Mode (Batteries) if it detects AC power (or lack of) in about 8 milliseconds. I've sought to protect it from N.E.P.A and crazy generators with a Prag 10kVA servo stabilizer as suggested on this thread. What I could not protect it from was the custodian that was to look after it in my absence, but that is another story for later.

At the same time, I replaced almost all the bulbs in the household with low power led equivalents and used time-limit switches on water heaters and pumps. It was hard work but worth it as there we were, in early June, enjoying steady, unblinking, 'clean' electricity. It was wonderful. grin

I'll post the pictures that the phone warranty people were able to save later.

Nice job. Congratulations.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 1:01am On Dec 21, 2014
Barezzi:

grin... Tunde, you still don't get it...
Cell efficiency and the power rating of a solar panel are two different parameters.
A solar cell at 50% efficiency simply means it can convert 50% of sunlight to electricity
& heat at STC.(In very simplistic terms). The higher the cell efficiency, the more
kwh(energy) of electricity it can produce. In practical terms, its akin to comparing the
screen resolution of a Tecno phone and an iphone 6 of same dimensions tongue. Imagine both
phones are solar panels, and the pixels - solar cells. The Tecno phone with low efficiency
cells, will produce low kwh(energy), whereas the iphone 6 with high efficiency cells will produce high kwh(energy).
The practical implication of this is that for your limited roof space, u want solar panels with high efficiency cells.

Whereas power rating is the amount of dc power the panel can produce at STC.
That the cell efficiency is 50% does not mean that the solar panel performs at 50% of its nameplate power.

The koko of the matter is if its possible for a 250w solarworld panel to deliver 260w, hence producing more than its nameplate rating.

A solar panel technical datasheet contains all the info you need concerning any panel.
There's a parameter called Power Tolerance, see attached datasheets...
Power tolerance is a measure of how much higher or lower the POWER OUTPUT of a
solar panel might deviate from its NAMEPLATE rating.

Power tolerance for a 250w panel from the datasheets attached:
Solarworld panels: +5%/-0%
Sharp Panels: +5%/-0%
Suntech Panels: +5%/0%

The 250-watt Solarworld panel with a +5%/0% power tolerance can actually produce anywhere from 250 watts to 262.5 watts under ideal conditions.

Hahaha grin grin grin

I am just seeing this post now. You fought a good fight and ended the race. I've checked through and I didn't see bodejohn and the rest of the doubters argue anymore.

I was really wondering how they were confusing themselves with solar cell efficiency as compared to power rating efficiency I have been writing about.

For this you deserve a free a free installation from PBASE Solar if you buy our PRO MOUNTS and our SOLARWORLD SW255 SOLAR PANELS.
Note: Terms and conditions apply.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 2:21am On Dec 21, 2014
richmon74:

Hi Sir

i'm sorry for the delayed response.
The two sets of panels are not on the same elevation and they don't affect the output because they are both on the sale SS direction without any hindrance to sunlight.

Noted and thanks! grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (1666) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Elkrypto(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.