Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (81) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2032505 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (1667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 10:29am On Dec 21, 2014
ilenaira:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nhNWB4WsVfg
grin grin
Na me first view your video...
Very impressive.
The only unfortunate thing is that I sold my gen many moons ago, would have loved to experiment.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 10:44am On Dec 21, 2014
richmon74:

I am just seeing this post now. You fought a good fight and ended the race. I've checked through and I didn't see bodejohn and the rest of the doubters argue anymore.

I was really wondering how they were confusing themselves with solar cell efficiency as compared to power rating efficiency I have been writing about.

I wasnt condfussing efficiency with power rating...I know exactly what each means.

You call it aguement, I see it as knowledge and information sharing as I also admit that no one knows it all.

I shared spec sheets of two panels to show how efficiency and the power rating are related. You can share emperical data to back your claim.

The post you quoted referred to a document that promised a 5% eztra power not 20%. I am even still waiting for that document to be uploaded.

Dear Richmond, you are an engineer and proffesional installer but I am a DIY enthusiast, you have to show me the theory behind the 120% harvest and we might be doing business very soon.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 11:13am On Dec 21, 2014
richmon74:

I hope I understand your calculations well. If so, my question to you is how will you replenish the lost 9kwh of energy in the night since all the generated 7kwh from the solar will be used up in the day?
The solar panels will be sized for daily energy use of 15kwh, while my battery bank will be sized for night time consumption of 9kwh.
This will replenish the 9kwh used up at night, while supplying the additional 6kwh for day time use.
I am assuming that they'll be no cloudy days! grin
So for 5hrs of sun, a 3kw array will meet my daily energy demand.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 11:22am On Dec 21, 2014
richmon74:
when installing with inclination
goodday can yr solar mounts be installed by any professional? Does it come with a installation manual? How many mounts does one require for 8 solar panel's?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 5:34pm On Dec 21, 2014
richmon74:

Your location matters on this. JUO said on a good day which means on that good day his solar panels received sunlight for between 8 to 10 hour and 3kwh is very possible. So if you are restricted to 4600wh it could be as a result of one of the following reasons;

It could be your panels are not generating it's full capacity or that you are limited to 5hrs of sunlight only. It could also be that there is something not properly done in your set up or maybe your nameplate value is defective.

i think am beginning to understand.......i only hv 2 unit of 200amp 12v batteries conected in series, n the major load on the system is my 130w haierthermoccol double door fridge that runs from 9.30am to 3.30pm [using timer socket], thus multiplying 200amp x 24 = 4600w wch is abt the max harvest i have ever obtained from my system, my CC is 45amps.....so assuming 5hrs of sunlight. at max input..i wud be harvesting 220amps, enough to rejuice my power bank if flat......................................going forward, it appears i have to increase my batt bank or increase the load on my system during the day, b4 my system would be able to draw in more harvest....

gurus pls comment on my theories.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by salam12(m): 7:33pm On Dec 21, 2014
shithapuns:

i think am beginning to understand.......i only hv 2 unit of 200amp 12v batteries conected in series, n the major load on the system is my 130w haierthermoccol double door fridge that runs from 9.30am to 3.30pm [using timer socket], thus multiplying 200amp x 24 = 4600w wch is abt the max harvest i have ever obtained from my system, my CC is 45amps.....so assuming 5hrs of sunlight. at max input..i wud be harvesting 220amps, enough to rejuice my power bank if flat......................................going forward, it appears i have to increase my batt bank or increase the load on my system during the day, b4 my system would be able to draw in more harvest....

gurus pls comment on my theories.

2 unit of 200Amp batteries in series will give you potentially 4800W of which drawing down 50% (50% DOD) will be more ideal unless you want to kill the batteries early. With your fridge out of the equation at night, you have only 2400W to play with. Increasing your battery bank will surely add up to yield potential.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 11:02pm On Dec 21, 2014
richmon74:

Hahaha grin grin grin

I am just seeing this post now. You fought a good fight and ended the race. I've checked through and I didn't see bodejohn and the rest of the doubters argue anymore.

I was really wondering how they were confusing themselves with solar cell efficiency as compared to power rating efficiency I have been writing about.

For this you deserve a free a free installation from PBASE Solar if you buy our PRO MOUNTS and our SOLARWORLD SW255 SOLAR PANELS.
Note: Terms and conditions apply.

Interesting views! Have you ever heard of the saying about arguing with a fool? He ends up making you look like a fool and then beat you with experience. There are many different reasons why one may stop arguing and it is not all of them that relate to the other side making sense.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 12:32pm On Dec 22, 2014
ilenaira:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nhNWB4WsVfg

Cool. I'm not an expert but that fan looks small. This is something I'm definitely going to try out
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 9:44pm On Dec 22, 2014
bodejohn:

I wasnt condfussing efficiency with power rating...I know exactly what each means.

You call it aguement, I see it as knowledge and information sharing as I also admit that no one knows it all.

I shared spec sheets of two panels to show how efficiency and the power rating are related. You can share emperical data to back your claim.

The post you quoted referred to a document that promised a 5% eztra power not 20%. I am even still waiting for that document to be uploaded.

Dear Richmond, you are an engineer and proffesional installer but I am a DIY enthusiast, you have to show me the theory behind the 120% harvest and we might be doing business very soon.

Lol @ Bode, you spending so much time on replies here .. How is work n ur family? Compliments of the season tho ?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 7:36am On Dec 23, 2014
one month and counting without switching off my inverter. Thanks to Nairaland, richmon74, GeorgeD1, abunafiu and all Nairalanders
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 4:13pm On Dec 24, 2014
JUO:
one month and counting without switching off my inverter. Thanks to Nairaland, richmon74, GeorgeD1, abunafiu and all Nairalanders
Congratulations! I don't think I have ever experienced staying in a place where the light didn't go off for 2 complete weeks throughout my whole life.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by salam12(m): 6:48pm On Dec 24, 2014
JUO:

Congrat and welcome to real world of renewable energy where you can make impossible possible. I have been enjoying 24/7 power supply for almost a year and still counting. I am no longer at the mercy of noisy generators which I cannot even run for 24hr without major break-down afterwards. If public power supply manage to come-by, good. If they don't remember to supply my area, I don't give a hoot.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 6:48am On Dec 25, 2014
salam12:

Congrat and welcome to real world of renewable energy where you can make impossible possible. I have been enjoying 24/7 power supply for almost a year and still counting. I am no longer at the mercy of noisy generators which I cannot even run for 24hr without major break-down afterwards. If public power supply manage to come-by, good. If they don't remember to supply my area, I don't give a hoot.
try to understand my post. I mean to turn on an inverter for one month and counting. this simply means someone is always in the house. I have gone 3 months with management but not like this. I have been using inverter for the past 7years but have not done 1 week stretch without draining my batteries but this time I have done 1 month stretch without draining my batteries although I go as low as 24.5v on 24v system. Happy Xmas and Thanks to Nairaland

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ooadekoy: 3:07pm On Dec 25, 2014
Nairalanders, Merry Christmas to you all. I need the urgent services of a solar panel installer to help me check the status and connections of the solar panels on my roof. It is a duplex building. Interested parties should send a mail to ooadekoy@hotmail.com.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Horus(m): 12:43am On Dec 26, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdwti9yQcLM

[size=15pt]Solar Power Installation in Nigeria[/size]

Tools and safety gear that will be used by Installer in Nigeria. We emphasis safety and proper tools. The bulky items, testers, ladders and welders are on their way to Nigeria already
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 6:55pm On Dec 27, 2014
@house, am in a dilenma....... i currently have a 1.5kva 24v inverter with 2units of 200amp deep cycle batt,
just tv,lights and fan....problem is i want to increase the run time of my inverter, cos my household has increased, with people watching TV more than 12hrs daily, unlike b4, where we watch it less than 6hrs daily, also the fan runs for 12hrs plus too...and we get nepa for only about 8 to 10hrs daily, so with this usage...if anyday nepa fails to bring light, my system will run down on the 2nd day................since my total instanten ous load is still below 400w, i dont see any sense in buying a bigger 48v inverter to enjoy the 4 batt advantage of longer run time.......

so anyone ever had this challenge and how did they overcome it?
the only thing/idea coming to my head is to buy an external charger and use it to surpport the inverter in charging the batts, cos i know a 1.5kva cant chrge 4 units of 200amp batt even though they will be in 2 strings of 24v each
YOUR INPUT IS HIGHLY WELCOMED
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 9:10am On Dec 28, 2014
@ Shithapuns, I'll assume you use 400w over a 12 hour period daily.
Therefore, ur daily energy usage is 400*12=4800wh.
Next, you multiply the result by the number of backup days you want.

Let's assume you want 5 days of autonomy, that'll be 5*4800=24kwh.
You want a battery bank that can store twice this energy, if you plan for 50% DOD. Your system is 24v.
24*2/24=2000Ah battery bank.

So, a 2000Ah battery bank will give you 5 days backup.

How do you charge such a huge bank?

1. External charger
2. Solar
3. Wind

A 100A charger will replenish your 5-day consumption in 10hrs.
You have up to 10hrs utility power, and there are 24v inverters with up to 100A charging current.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 11:26am On Dec 28, 2014
@ barezzi, thanks for your analysis!.
pls could you name such inverters/cost/where i could buy them..................am seriously interested!!!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 5:33pm On Dec 28, 2014
shithapuns:
@house, am in a dilenma....... i currently have a 1.5kva 24v inverter with 2units of 200amp deep cycle batt,
just tv,lights and fan....problem is i want to increase the run time of my inverter, cos my household has increased, with people watching TV more than 12hrs daily, unlike b4, where we watch it less than 6hrs daily, also the fan runs for 12hrs plus too...and we get nepa for only about 8 to 10hrs daily, so with this usage...if anyday nepa fails to bring light, my system will run down on the 2nd day................since my total instanten ous load is still below 400w, i dont see any sense in buying a bigger 48v inverter to enjoy the 4 batt advantage of longer run time.......

so anyone ever had this challenge and how did they overcome it?
the only thing/idea coming to my head is to buy an external charger and use it to surpport the inverter in charging the batts, cos i know a 1.5kva cant chrge 4 units of 200amp batt even though they will be in 2 strings of 24v each
YOUR INPUT IS HIGHLY WELCOMED

if you add a 1000watt solar panels to ur existing setup you will be amazed at the outcome.
strictly from experience .

Ideally, you need a 1500w solar panels system for effective operation though but for cist purposes 1kw would do.
it doesn't make sense to me going to buy a new inverter.

my opinion though
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 7:52pm On Dec 28, 2014
adding solar panels now isnt an option...., i could always gift away/sell my old inverter..........no biggie
pls recommend inverters or intelligent stand alone chargers i could buy...if its an acceptable option
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 3:10pm On Dec 29, 2014
Washing your panel can actually do some magic

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 2:52am On Dec 31, 2014
shithapuns:
adding solar panels now isnt an option...., i could always gift away/sell my old inverter..........no biggie
pls recommend inverters or intelligent stand alone chargers i could buy...if its an acceptable option

Magnum MS4124PE will be suitable for your need then. It has a 105A charging current for your batteries.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 7:56pm On Dec 31, 2014
wow great!!.....how much will the magnum set me back?..or better still could i hv ur nos/email to discuss my options further

also adding 1kw panels @ 24v gives me mas 45amp, would it be suitable to charge 4 units of 200amps in 2 strings of 24v
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 12:47pm On Jan 01, 2015
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO MY NUMEROUS CLIENTS & FELLOW NAIRALANDERS !!!!!! Its gonna be a beautiful 2015,IJN AMEN !!!!!!!!

°█┼█-███-███-███┼█┼█
°█┼█-█┼█-█┼█-█┼█┼█┼█
°███-███-███-███┼███
°█┼█-█┼█-█┼┼-█┼┼┼┼█┼
°█┼█-█┼█-█┼┼-█┼┼┼┼█┼
°•.¸¸.....
.•°
°•.██┼┼█┼███┼█┼┼┼█.•°
°•.███┼█┼█┼┼┼█┼┼┼█.•°
°•.█████┼███┼█┼█┼█.•°
°•.█┼███┼█┼┼┼█┼█┼█.•°
°•.█┼┼██┼███┼██┼██.•°
°•.¸\"̮¸BBN.•°♥°•.¸.•°♥°•.¸.•°♥°•.¸\"̮¸.•°
°•.█┼█┼███┼███┼███.•°
°•.█┼█┼█┼┼┼█┼█┼█┼█.•°
°•.███┼███┼███┼██¸¸.•°
°•.┼█┼┼█┼┼┼█┼█┼█┼█¸.•°
°•.┼█┼┼███┼█┼█┼█┼██•°
°•.¸\"̮¸.•BBN°♥°•.¸.•°♥°•.¸.•°♥°•.¸\"̮¸.•°
°•.¸███┼███┼██┼███¸.•°
°•.¸┼┼█┼█┼█┼┼█┼█┼┼¸.•°
°•.¸███┼█┼█┼┼█┼███¸.•°
°•.¸█┼┼┼█┼█┼┼█┼┼┼█¸.•°
°•.¸███┼███┼███┼██¸.•°
°•.¸\"̮¸.•°♥°•.¸.•°♥°•.¸.•°♥°•.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 12:06am On Jan 02, 2015
guys i need advice. my system comprises of (4 )12v batteries 200ah in series. 5kva inverter, solar panels (4) 280 watts. i now want to join you guys in 24 hrs uninterrupted. my system carries deep freezer , tvs, fans, lights, computers. the problem i have is my batteries get charged latest 11am , i switch on the freezer and other gadgets. by 3pm i off the freezer. keep using other gadgets (2 tvs) till night, but around 7 pm my battery voltage drops to 49v. not to damage my 48v battery bank i switch off by then. help needed to be completely off grid . really help.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by salam12(m): 5:20am On Jan 02, 2015
samnaija:
guys i need advice. my system comprises of (4 )12v batteries 200ah in series. 5kva inverter, solar panels (4) 280 watts. i now want to join you guys in 24 hrs uninterrupted. my system carries deep freezer , tvs, fans, lights, computers. the problem i have is my batteries get charged latest 11am , i switch on the freezer and other gadgets. by 3pm i off the freezer. keep using other gadgets (2 tvs) till night, but around 7 pm my battery voltage drops to 49v. not to damage my 48v battery bank i switch off by then. help needed to be completely off grid . really help.

Kindly let us know the following:

1) Battery spec - Cycle voltage & float voltage
2) Panel spec
3) Setting on charge controller - bulk voltage, absorption voltage and time, float voltage
4) What sort of bulbs do you use - regular or energy saving
5) How many fans
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 1:28pm On Jan 02, 2015
samnaija:

Your battery bank is not correctly sized for your daily energy needs. I had the same issues too.
You need to provide a list of the wattage from the loads you’re going to run and the approximate average run time per day.

Once you provide the info above, I can then calculate the proper battery bank sizing/solar panels to get u completely off grid.

See attached: open voltage guideline for battery state of charge.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tommytim: 1:42pm On Jan 02, 2015
salam12:

how come?? **I'm new here**
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 3:45pm On Jan 02, 2015
Barezzi:

Your battery bank is not correctly sized for your daily energy needs. I had the same issues too.
You need to provide a list of the wattage from the loads you’re going to run and the approximate average run time per day.

Once you provide the info above, I can then calculate the proper battery bank sizing/solar panels to get u completely off grid.

See attached: open voltage guideline for battery state of charge.
thnks for the response, freezer (140 watts x 5 hr), 3 TVS (290 watts x 8 hrs), 6 energy bulbs (120 watts x 8 hrs), 4 fans (400watts x 8 hrs) , 2decoder (20watts x 8 hrs), dvd player (180watts x 4 hrs), . this is ideally what i use, i dont use all the same time. thnks ahead.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 3:55pm On Jan 02, 2015
salam12:

Kindly let us know the following:

1) Battery spec - Cycle voltage & float voltage
2) Panel spec
3) Setting on charge controller - bulk voltage, absorption voltage and time, float voltage
4) What sort of bulbs do you use - regular or energy saving
5) How many fans

thnks, the float voltage is set at 55 volts thats all i can see on the charge controller. panels are joy solar panels 280watts (24volts) x 4. energy saving bulbs all round. i use 4 fans.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by salam12(m): 4:20pm On Jan 02, 2015
samnaija:

thnks for the response, freezer (140 watts x 5 hr), 3 TVS (290 watts x 8 hrs), 6 energy bulbs (120 watts x 8 hrs), 4 fans (400watts x 8 hrs) , 2decoder (20watts x 8 hrs), dvd player (180watts x 4 hrs), . this is ideally what i use, i dont use all the same time. thnks ahead.

- Your energy estimate = 8060W

- With your 200Amp @ 48V = 9600W which ideally you cant take more than 50% unless you want to bury the batteries early. This leave you with 4800W

- You need to double your battery bank if you must maintain the current load otherwise you need to do load shedding to increase duration

- With increase in battery bank, you will also need to increase solar array to charge the batteries and enough to maintain day-light load
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by salam12(m): 4:25pm On Jan 02, 2015
samnaija:

thnks, the float voltage is set at 55 volts thats all i can see on the charge controller. panels are joy solar panels 280watts (24volts) x 4. energy saving bulbs all round. i use 4 fans.

- How did you arrive at 55v float voltage. Is it battery manufacturer recommendation or just default setting on the controller

- Get your battery spec from the body or download to get recommended Absorption and floating voltage

- 2V difference in voltage to the batteries can make lots of difference to battery charging sequence

- What make of controller and battery are you dealing with

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (1667) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.