Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,641 members, 7,801,866 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:46 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (93) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2030731 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (1666) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 6:47pm On Apr 25, 2015
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 7:28pm On Apr 25, 2015
EMMAACHILE:
I saw a DC inverter Ac compressor. How many panels do I need for it and what is the recommender spec?

The specs are
Model: 5KD240ZDA21
Power Supply: DC Inverter
Displacement(CC): 24
Refrigerant: R410A
Power(W): 2460
Cooling Capacity (BTU): 24293
COP(W/W): 2.89
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 8:51pm On Apr 25, 2015
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TSHIRT2: 8:54pm On Apr 25, 2015
earthrealm:
OK..REMAINING piece of puzzle is..if your system is 24v or 12v..........i suspect its 24v...cos if it was 12v...it should have burnt long ago....cos 500w/12v = 40amps n ur CC is just 20amps. 500w/24v is abt 25amps..........since most panels/installations arent 100% efficient, 25amps will not be getting to ur system except on rare occasions and being that ur batt bank was full again...compounded the problem as the CC was now battling 2 very dangerous problems.

the scenario i painted is scenario A.

SCENARIO B is the cable +ve batt cable pulling free/somehow disconnecting
it is a 12v system,i've using it since 1st of january 2015
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:43am On Apr 26, 2015
HURRY HURRY HURRY !!!!!!

USA TROJAN T105-RE Premium Line Flooded Lead Acid Battery 6V (225AH)20hr Rate ..... @ 34k

USA TROJAN J185P-AC Signature Line Flooded Lead-Acid Battery 12V (205AH) 20hr Rate .... 75k

USA OUTBACK mppt charge controller (FM 80)

The EP Solar "I TRACER" 60a mppt controller is just #95k compared to Morningstar price and has excellent features like: -inbuilt LCD display,
-high efficiency energy harvest with advanced mppt algorithm
-dual core (ARM CPU+DSP) control architecture
-run data and event recording
-multi phase synchronous rectification tech realizing peak conversion efficiency 98%
-high reliabilty including reverse connection, over current and load short protection etc
-diversified load control mode
-monitor software supplement and firmware update
-extensive communication capabilities (RS232, RS485 with modbus protocol, CAN bus extendable)

MUST POWER / POWERSTAR LIGHT 2kw 12v, 3kw 24v, 4kw 48v, 5kw 48v, 6kw 24v, 6kw 48v pure sinewave LCD power inverter " Inbuilt 35/70a Peak Charging Current" .... (In Stock)

Bluegate inverters (1kva 12v & 2kva 24v) .... In Stock

All our products come with 1 year Warranty.

For best affordable prices,contact Smartcell Global Services,Lagos Nigeria. Simply call Sir Frankie "08135031951" for purchase,fast delivery and waybills .. Thanks !!!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 1:11pm On Apr 26, 2015
TSHIRT2:

it is a 12v system,i've using it since 1st of january 2015

12v!...strange it survived uptill this moment./i guess the placement of ur panels isnt optimal, thus u r not harvesting the full 500w from the panels....or ur panels could be fake alaba panels that are not upto the name plate wattage thus might be 300w n not 500w as stated

i wud recommend u save up and buy a 45amp/40 amp charge controller, that would be cheaper than converting ur system to a 24v n still maintaing a 20/30 amp charge controller
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TSHIRT2: 2:01pm On Apr 26, 2015
earthrealm:

12v!...strange it survived uptill this moment./i guess the placement of ur panels isnt optimal, thus u r not harvesting the full 500w from the panels....or ur panels could be fake alaba panels that are not upto the name plate wattage thus might be 300w n not 500w as stated

i wud recommend u save up and buy a 45amp/40 amp charge controller, that would be cheaper than converting ur system to a 24v n still maintaing a 20/30 amp charge controller
d panels a imported from china 125w each for street lighting contract,using d left over from d contract.concerning placemt,sun rises east at my place and was place facing east at almost 45degree.wayforward now is saving to get 40-60amp charger controler thinking 4 upgrade later
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by life707: 8:11pm On Apr 28, 2015
@Richmond
Good evening, I sent you a PM.
We need to talk.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:09pm On May 01, 2015
all,
happy may day to you guys.
below pics of my midnite solar surge arrestor installation i talked about two weeks ago:

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:12pm On May 01, 2015
all set:

mnspd 115v above, mnspd 300v below

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:16pm On May 01, 2015
while the magnum was away on repairs,
the sukam did a marvelous job keeping the house cool:

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 6:58pm On May 02, 2015
Great job everyone. Been following the trhead for a few years now (since latching onto the complementary FTA thread). Been worried about the initial capital (despite minimal annual overhead) but the erratic spate of grid power supply has pushed me to my limits. I'm planning on investing in a 2kVA setup even though 1.5kVA should cater to my initial needs. My problem is I'm a stickler for what works and might be unwilling to expand later. I'm looking at getting 250W or 480W panels.

Could any of the big boys in the house (preferable everyone of you guys) come up with a likely suitable configuration? This would include not just equipment but brands too. I want something reasonable in price yet won't gimme headaches. Please include both AC and DC surge arresters as I absolutely hate regrets.

Thanks for your anticipated favourable contributions. On to you George_D, TotalGreen, BodeJohn et al
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 7:32pm On May 02, 2015
Saipro:
Great job everyone. Been following the thread for a few years now (since latching onto the complementary FTA thread). Been worried about the initial capital (despite minimal annual overhead) but the erratic spate of grid power supply has pushed me to my limits. I'm planning on investing in a 2kVA setup even though 1.5kVA should cater to my initial needs. My problem is I'm a stickler for what works and might be unwilling to expand later. I'm looking at getting 250W or 480W panels.

Could any of the big boys in the house (preferable everyone of you guys) come up with a likely suitable configuration? This would include not just equipment but brands too. I want something reasonable in price yet won't gimme headaches. Please include both AC and DC surge arresters as I absolutely hate regrets.

Thanks for your anticipated favourable contributions. On to you George_D, TotalGreen, BodeJohn et al

Crucial to me are reliable brand names and addresses and names of trusted suppliers. I'm considering
- 250W 24V x 6 panels or 480W 24V x 4 for starters
- MorningStar TS-MPPT-60 x 1 (if the first configuration) or MorningStar TS-MPPT-60 x 2 (if the second one). the first configuration appears cheaper (at least on the short run)
- Trojan L16RE-A 6V batteries x 4
- Su-kam 1500VA/24V OR Su-kam 2000VA/24V inverter (either Torque or Shiny series).

Kindly modify/ammend/rewrite as suitable
Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 11:25am On May 04, 2015
No response yet but I've chosen not to PM anyone (yet) as I want others to learn something from my tryouts. I've learnt a lot of things in life from the tryouts of others too. Awaiting suggestions. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 11:51am On May 04, 2015
Saipro:
No response yet but I've chosen not to PM anyone (yet) as I want others to learn something from my tryouts. I've learnt a lot of things in life from the tryouts of others too. Awaiting suggestions. Thanks
Since you're looking for brand names, contact coogumo or richmond or kiekie...
Go thru the threads, u will see countless calculations on how to arrive at any config depending on ur daily energy consumption.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:25pm On May 04, 2015
saipro,

you basically are starting off on the wrong foot. your first and most important consideration should be what total load you
plan to run and not on which configuration is better or cheaper. if you really want to avoid disappointments in the future
this is the way to go.

firstly get an idea of your total house load. that will help you get your optimal battery bank sizing which in turn will give you
what number of panels you will need to recharge your bank to your desired soc. after that you can talk of your bos
(balance of system) items viz charge controllers, surge arestors, etc

does any of this make sense to you?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TSHIRT2: 1:20pm On May 05, 2015
Pls my seniors advice me,pls i need a quick fix 4 my burnt 20a controller.
1:A 60amp pwm charge controler with lcd monitor and was said that can work with 2000w of panal. OR
2:A 40amp mppt charge controller without lcd monitor and said to work with 1000w of panel though not high end controla.
So which one shd i buy as quick fix 4 my 500w 12v system.All a product on Aliexpress.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 2:04pm On May 05, 2015
GeorgeD1:
saipro,

you basically are starting off on the wrong foot. your first and most important consideration should be what total load you
plan to run and not on which configuration is better or cheaper. if you really want to avoid disappointments in the future
this is the way to go.

firstly get an idea of your total house load. that will help you get your optimal battery bank sizing which in turn will give you
what number of panels you will need to recharge your bank to your desired soc. after that you can talk of your bos
(balance of system) items viz charge controllers, surge arestors, etc

does any of this make sense to you?

Perfectly so. My apologies. I failed to mention I've had a generic 1.4kVA inverter backed by two 200Ah batteries in parallel. I've a standby charger in case I need a quick "fix" to charge my batteries (the inverter charges a bit slower). This system can be keep me running for 24 hours and up to 36 hours. It's been doing that since 2008 when I returned to Ilorin. Discounting my heavy equipment (which never go on the backup power anyway), my total consumption is maxed out at 1400W in a day, typically about 900W. This is about max 400W during the day on weekends (which is when people are home) and up to 500W at night (if they're watching movies till 2am).

I'd actually done a bit (translated = a lot)) of research on the subject matter and been using inverters since around the year 2000 (irregularly then but stable since 2008) and both savings and reliability is why I want to upgrade to a hybrid system. Don't get me wrong, if I knew it all, I wouldn't be here. My area of interest is power systems so I know enough to tell you the theoretical stuff and the application on the field don't always tally in results. Nor expectations.

That's why I've voiced out my interest here. I've humbly come forward to glean from your extensive collective library of experience. Together we stick; apart we're stuck. I'm a DIY kinda guy and I don't wanna get stuck.

Thanks once more. ALL helpful suggestions are welcome. And thanks GeorgeD1. Your response means a lot to me.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 4:08pm On May 05, 2015
Saipro:

Perfectly so. My apologies. I failed to mention I've had a generic 1.4kVA inverter backed by two 200Ah batteries in parallel. I've a standby charger in case I need a quick "fix" to charge my batteries (the inverter charges a bit slower). This system can be keep me running for 24 hours and up to 36 hours. It's been doing that since 2008 when I returned to Ilorin. Discounting my heavy equipment (which never go on the backup power anyway), my total consumption is maxed out at 1400W in a day, typically about 900W. This is about max 400W during the day on weekends (which is when people are home) and up to 500W at night (if they're watching movies till 2am).

I'd actually done a bit (translated = a lot)) of research on the subject matter and been using inverters since around the year 2000 (irregularly then but stable since 2008) and both savings and reliability is why I want to upgrade to a hybrid system. Don't get me wrong, if I knew it all, I wouldn't be here. My area of interest is power systems so I know enough to tell you the theoretical stuff and the application on the field don't always tally in results. Nor expectations.

That's why I've voiced out my interest here. I've humbly come forward to glean from your extensive collective library of experience. Together we stick; apart we're stuck. I'm a DIY kinda guy and I don't wanna get stuck.

Thanks once more. ALL helpful suggestions are welcome. And thanks GeorgeD1. Your response means a lot to me.
Honestly, due to d inadequate info in ur first post made me not to comment so as not to mislead u. solar is misleading if u dont kmow what and why u want them. jusy as Chief George wrote.
The good part of it is that we are both in ilorin. I believe we can share a lot if we meet in person. It's going 2 be my pleasure to meet u if you don't mind.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:11pm On May 05, 2015
abunafiu:

Honestly, due to d inadequate info in ur first post made me not to comment so as not to mislead u. solar is misleading if u dont kmow what and why u want them. jusy as Chief George wrote.
The good part of it is that we are both in ilorin. I believe we can share a lot if we meet in person. It's going 2 be my pleasure to meet u if you don't mind.

Words well said ! Its best you guys meet in person for optimal results .. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 8:43pm On May 05, 2015
TSHIRT2:
1:A 60amp pwm charge controler with lcd monitor and was said that can work with 2000w of panal. OR
2:A 40amp mppt charge controller without lcd monitor and said to work with 1000w of panel though not high end controla.
So which one shd i buy as quick fix 4 my 500w 12v system.All a product on Aliexpress.

MPPT any time. PWM controllers are toys. They are only OK for streetlights.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 8:39am On May 06, 2015
abunafiu:

Deeply appreciated. I've responded appropriately. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 4:40pm On May 06, 2015
TSHIRT2:

I have a one month old Monringstar Tristar 60 AMP PWM with battery monitoring/temp cable and display ( TM-2) along with FLAT Serial cable and serial to USB adapter . I am happy to sell you as I will be moving to an MPPT charge controller/Charger/Inverter hybrid of 5 KVA . I am willing to sell NGN 40,000 for charge controller , 20,000 for display - all other stuff comes free if you buy both together ( almost 10,000 NGN value)

wbr

Anil
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:25pm On May 06, 2015
..... IN STOCK !

Shoto & Sacred Sun Telecomm Valve Regulated Gel Batteries ( 2v 1000a ). *Telecomm used 2013 Manufactured*

Pics attached below . 24 pcs supplied but 6 pcs remaining for now @ 22k each !

Call Sir Frankie "08135031951" for waybill and supply , Thanks !

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TSHIRT2: 10:16pm On May 06, 2015
pranil:

I have a one month old Monringstar Tristar 60 AMP PWM with battery monitoring/temp cable and display ( TM-2) along with FLAT Serial cable and serial to USB adapter . I am happy to sell you as I will be moving to an MPPT charge controller/Charger/Inverter hybrid of 5 KVA . I am willing to sell NGN 40,000 for charge controller , 20,000 for display - all other stuff comes free if you buy both together ( almost 10,000 NGN value)

wbr

Anil
Pls kindly drop ur phone number here or drop it in my mail:SHETEOLUBABATUNDE@GMAIL.COM,4 discussn.thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jmaine: 12:03am On May 07, 2015
Hello folks, nice work going on here even though I have been a silent student learning from the masters before I take the plunge.

I just decided to contribute my own small quota in putting up the link below for newbies who seek more indepth knowledge of Solar in a very layman language. grin

http://www.bimblesolar.com/beginnersguide

@Saipro, the following link might just help you out in your quest before you hook up with abunafiu =======>

http://www.bimblesolar.com/solarcalc

Going back to studying mode . . . . . . . cool
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TSHIRT2: 4:05pm On May 07, 2015
TSHIRT2:

Pls kindly drop ur phone number here or drop it in my mail:SHETEOLUBABATUNDE@GMAIL.COM,4 discussn.thanks
Thanks 4 d agreement,u will hear from me as promise
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TSHIRT2: 4:08pm On May 07, 2015
pranil:

wbr

Anil
Thanks for d agreement,u will hear from me soon as we agreed
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 1:33am On May 08, 2015
jmaine:
Hello folks, nice work going on here even though I have been a silent student learning from the masters before I take the plunge.

I just decided to contribute my own small quota in putting up the link below for newbies who seek more indepth knowledge of Solar in a very layman language. grin

http://www.bimblesolar.com/beginnersguide

@Saipro, the following link might just help you out in your quest before you hook up with abunafiu =======>

http://www.bimblesolar.com/solarcalc

Going back to studying mode . . . . . . . cool

Though I'm familiar with the subject matter, the site was indeed fun to read and no less informative than comparative sites. Even comes with an array of competitively priced products. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bode4real(m): 1:38pm On May 09, 2015
@ all, got home 2day to b told dat my 1.4kva sukam inverter power switch nt functioning for past 2 weeks, tot it was d switch, but after removin d switch cable on d board stil refuse to power off. Every other tin on d inverter is workin well except not powering off. My family managed to power it off and on wit d breaker btw d inverter and bat3. PLS hope powering off and on wit dis breaker is safe? Also wot can b wrong. Wit d inverter. Thx
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 3:08pm On May 09, 2015
bode4real:
@ all, got home 2day to b told dat my 1.4kva sukam inverter power switch nt functioning for past 2 weeks, tot it was d switch, but after removin d switch cable on d board stil refuse to power off. Every other tin on d inverter is workin well except not powering off. My family managed to power it off and on wit d breaker btw d inverter and bat3. PLS hope powering off and on wit dis breaker is safe? Also wot can b wrong. Wit d inverter. Thx

The switch is faulty - It can be replaced at a very small cost 1500 NGN - a good electrician can also do it . Off course when repairing take care to disconnect all power supplies.
The battery MCB will fail if you keep on using it to power off . It is meant only for maintenance duty .

wbr

Anil
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bode4real(m): 4:26pm On May 09, 2015
@Pranil, as I said its not d switch, I use multimeter. And d switch is makin and breakin wen pressed also I av removed d switch leg from d mainboaard and stil refuse to go off. As for d breaker I install btw it and bat3, I kkno it wil damaged quick but wot I'm sayin is effect on d inverter bcuz of dis sound u get. Wenever d iinverter sees d battery.

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (1666) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.