Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,358 members, 7,800,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) (69817 Views)

The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri / Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning / I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Pylony(m): 8:43am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:

i am just trying to spread the gospel
ok
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by jiangchu: 8:44am On Jul 08, 2017
most of your word are a corruption of yoruba language.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 8:49am On Jul 08, 2017
jiangchu:
most of your word are a corruption of yoruba language.

the Itsekiri is a Yoruboid Language
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by martineverest(m): 8:52am On Jul 08, 2017
Efewestern:

uko doesn't sound yoruboid, so how can itsekiri own it? uko and kokodie are pure urhobo word, no doubt urhobo borrowed some words from itsekiri.
uko is an edo word
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Probz(m): 8:55am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:

no
Then there you go. They're not Yoruba. Only their language is.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 9:01am On Jul 08, 2017
Probz:
Then there you go. They're not Yoruba. Only their language is.

i am not understanding ur point of argument sir

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by martineverest(m): 9:01am On Jul 08, 2017
kajsa08:

Exactly, when most igara's speak, I understand fully what they say. My pop is essan n mom from imoga, akoko-edo n m married to an isoko man.
only u?... I'm esan tho

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by A190(f): 9:32am On Jul 08, 2017
taoheedoriloye:

wow! very interesting.
I am from ikare - akoko , ondo state.
Most of Itshekiris language are very similar to ours.that means I can easily understand Itshekiri .
utukpa :lamp
uda:sword
there words are the same in pronunciation and meaning
Do akoko people recognize their links with Okun of Kogi and Akoko of Edo?
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by jomoh: 9:50am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:

Oritseofemi that's d best Itsekiri translation i can transcribe for now lol

Efewestern:
@onuwaje is femi an itsekiri word cous it's only oristefemi that's bearing that name as itsekiri

Oritse = god
Orisa = god
Oluwa = god

Oluwa = Orisa= Oritse

Femi = love me

Oritsefemi = oluwafemi = orisafemi

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Noccerino(m): 9:50am On Jul 08, 2017
darediamond:

Earlier, they are regarded as "Awaseka" or Awa/Ise//Kiri because they migrated to that region they are from Lagos back I the ages. All South South peoe are all from the West.
Even Asaba?
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by inze(m): 9:57am On Jul 08, 2017
ransomed:
:::-- What language or dialect is that? Do you want to sit here? Lol, let us move on.

. . . You just translated it and still asking grin
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by TonySpike: 9:57am On Jul 08, 2017
The Eastern flank of Yorubaland were all influenced by the ancient Bini culture somewhere around 1500-1700 AD. When I refer to Eastern Yorubaland, I mean parts of Ekiti/Ondo and Yoruboid parts of Edo/Delta. The Bini influence can be especially observed in Ekiti folk music. As an Ekiti guy, I was amazed to see similarities in Owo, Ekiti and Bini musical styles. This thread is amazing. The OP has done a great job of educating Oodua haters.

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by jomoh: 10:01am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:

dunno

taoheedoriloye:
one love to you.
But why and how we are so divided like this.we don't See each other as one people.
who divided us?

Efewestern:

divide ke, who is dividing who?

During the old regional government before the first coup by the igbo soldiers, Delta state with Warri(Itsekiri base) as it's capital was part of western region.

The colonial masters was not our problem. They divided us into regions according to our cultural classification but our problem started after the first coup and the Military head of state that benefited the coup cancelled the regional form of government. That birthed a unitry system of government. This is the reason why people that knows history find it hard to forgive the Igbos.

You can Google the history and read more.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Opiletool(m): 10:02am On Jul 08, 2017
darediamond:

Earlier, they are regarded as "Awaseka" or Awa/Ise//Kiri because they migrated to that region they are from Lagos back I the ages. All South South peoe are all from the West.

Don't derail the thread abeg, not all South South pple are from the west.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by ransomed: 10:08am On Jul 08, 2017
inze:

. . . You just translated it and still asking grin
::--- Wow! Humans are truely unique.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:
still.on Itsekiri 101

Greeting
Ere-Ósón/Erósón (Good afternoon)
Response: Ere-Ósón ra to alé (let the good of the afternoon lead u to the evening) or Ere-Ósón Omeremi (good afternoon my person

Greeting
Ere-alé/Eralé (Good evening)
Response
Ere-alé je (we enjoy d evening together) or Eralé Omeremi

Greeting
Ode-ejuma/Odejuma (good night)
[Ejuma means tomoro in Itsekiri]

Response: Ode-ejuma/Odejuma

Other salutations and response in Itsekiri includes (with their reply in bracket)
Erubó "welcome" (Adokpe "thanks"wink

Also when in a gathering to acknowledge the presence of everybody one is expected to say the following

1. Oma-Iwéré dede mo kiaghan (pronounced "Omiwéré dede mokian) which literally means "child of Iwéré i salute u all"
The response is
Ené jé (we accept)

N:B Itsekiri call their homeland in general IWÉRÉ

2nd form of greeting in itsekiri is
Aja mo kiaghan (pronounced Aja mokian) it means i salute the community/village as Aja in Itsekiri means village/town/settlement

The reply is
Aja jé (the town/village/community accepts)

So on nairaland i can say

Nairaland Mo kiaghan lol the response will be nairaland jé

IWERE= CORRUPTED TO WARRI

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:
Popular household items
1. Aga (Chair)
2. Iméjé (Table)
3. Utukpa (lamp)
4. Ekpetin (box)
5. Ukpo (bed)
6. Ésété (plate)
7. Ukujéré (spoon)
8. Uko (cup)
9. Éwo (pot)
10. udayibo (cutlass)
11. uda (sword)
Almost every word here are very similar to Benin words
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Probz(m): 10:27am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:

i am not understanding ur point of argument sir

You only need to meet those two requirements to be Yoruba. Language doesn't come into it. Akoko people in Ondo don't even speak Yoruba as a first language but they're Yoruba because they claim Ile-Ife and Oduduwa descent. Itsekiri people can speak Yoruba but that doesn't mean they are I you just said they don't meet those requirements.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by A190(f): 10:30am On Jul 08, 2017
orlahtohbadt:
Your head dey there... Every Yoruba speaks two Yoruba dialect, the standard one and the one from his Origin... I speak the Lagos standard Yoruba and the one of Ijesa
every yoruba ke? Where some bastards born and bred in Osogbo speak only English. Yet them parents are Yoruba
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:
still.on Itsekiri 101

Greeting
Ere-Ósón/Erósón (Good afternoon)
Response: Ere-Ósón ra to alé (let the good of the afternoon lead u to the evening) or Ere-Ósón Omeremi (good afternoon my person

Greeting
Ere-alé/Eralé (Good evening)
Response
Ere-alé je (we enjoy d evening together) or Eralé Omeremi

Greeting
Ode-ejuma/Odejuma (good night)
[Ejuma means tomoro in Itsekiri]

Response: Ode-ejuma/Odejuma

Other salutations and response in Itsekiri includes (with their reply in bracket)
Erubó "welcome" (Adokpe "thanks"wink

Also when in a gathering to acknowledge the presence of everybody one is expected to say the following

1. Oma-Iwéré dede mo kiaghan (pronounced "Omiwéré dede mokian) which literally means "child of Iwéré i salute u all"
The response is
Ené jé (we accept)

N:B Itsekiri call their homeland in general IWÉRÉ

2nd form of greeting in itsekiri is
Aja mo kiaghan (pronounced Aja mokian) it means i salute the community/village as Aja in Itsekiri means village/town/settlement

The reply is
Aja jé (the town/village/community accepts)

So on nairaland i can say

Nairaland Mo kiaghan lol the response will be nairaland jé

I miss my former Bendel state. 7 or 8pm BTV news then was read in every languages. The Itsekiri newscaster always end it with Odejuma.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by orlahtohbadt(m): 10:40am On Jul 08, 2017
A190:
every yoruba ke? Where some bastards born and bred in Osogbo speak only English. Yet them parents are Yoruba
ok, let me rephrase then... Most Yoruba... I pity some people like those ones u mentioned sha... Funny enough i am of dual ethnicity and i speak both of my languages well

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 08, 2017
A190:

Really? I always envy the Yoruba s cos they don't joke with their language unlike mine always pidgin

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 08, 2017
jomoh:

During the old regional government before the first coup by the igbo soldiers, Delta state with Warri(Itsekiri base) as it's capital was part of western region.

The colonial masters was not our problem. They divided us into regions according to our cultural classification but our problem started after the first coup and the Military head of state that benefited the coup cancelled the regional form of government. That birthed a unitry system of government. This is the reason why people that knows history find it hard to forgive the Igbos.

You can Google the history and read more.

Before the coup it was Mid - West Region.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by kajsa08: 11:07am On Jul 08, 2017
martineverest:
only u?... I'm esan tho
lol yes o. na only me waka come
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by eniade07: 11:17am On Jul 08, 2017
[quote author=kn23h post=58234371]

Lagos Yoruba is not Oyo Yoruba....very different...Oyo Yoruba is the standard one that all Yorubas read and write.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Nobody: 11:40am On Jul 08, 2017
A190:

Do akoko people recognize their links with Okun of Kogi and Akoko of Edo?
there more more than nexus between we and okun people of kogi.infact, "OKUN" meaning bawoni in yoruba.all akoko use okun as first greeting, and we are like twins. Most men in my home town (IKARE) married from okun, we are more familiar with them than yorubas from oyo or osun.
I left my town to abuja befor I realized the are different tribe.
again who divided us?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Nobody: 11:46am On Jul 08, 2017
kn23h:

Very similar to other Yoruba dialects too
Yes ! But very interesting about most pronunciation and same meaning.
infact we have a title called atunwase in my home town , and If may remember there is another one called ologboshere.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by A190(f): 12:02pm On Jul 08, 2017
taoheedoriloye:
there more more than nexus between we and okun people of kogi.infact, "OKUN" meaning bawoni in yoruba.all akoko use okun as first greeting, and we are like twins. Most men in my home town (IKARE) married from okun, we are more familiar with them than yorubas from oyo or osun.
I left my town to abuja befor I realized the are different tribe.
again who divided us?
Nice. I'm Okun bt frm Kwara side. Some of our ppl do go to Akungba akoko to school
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by YungMillionaire: 12:40pm On Jul 08, 2017
9jakool:

Yeah Lagos Yoruba is pretty much a spin off of the Standard Yoruba. If only you stayed in Epe or Ikorodu outskirts of Lagos, then you could familiarize yourself with Ijebu or Remo dialect which is very very close to Itsekiri. A fluent Ijebu speaker can probably pick up Itsekiri in a very short amount of time. Yorubas typically speak two dialects/register of the Yoruba language; the dialectal one and the standard one.

I was actually born in Ikorodu but grew up in Oshodi. Anyway, I am just glad my knowledge of Yoruba will be very helpful.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by YungMillionaire: 12:48pm On Jul 08, 2017
I laugh at some of these people saying we are not Yorubas. I know where my own people migrated from. So you can keep your politics to yourselves. Even most of the Itshekiris that claim Bini origin are actually from Ondo state. And people should stop confusing ORIGIN with INFLUENCE. Just because we have a lot of Bini influence does not mean our origin is Bini. Our situation is similar to the Ikas of Anioma who actually originate from Bini but heavily Igbo-influenced. That is why when Sunday Oliseh said he is not Igbo, he was not been disrespectful of them. He was only telling the truth. Imagine all those millions of Igbos living in the SW today. Maybe 300 years from now we know say because they are influenced by the SW culture they are now Yorubas even though they originate from the SE. It does not make sense. And it is shocking, that some of our people are making this elementary mistake. As for me and my house - we know our origin.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by ezeagu(m): 1:42pm On Jul 08, 2017
YungMillionaire:
I laugh at some of these people saying we are not Yorubas. I know where my own people migrated from. So you can keep your politics to yourselves. Even most of the Itshekiris that claim Bini origin are actually from Ondo state. And people should stop confusing ORIGIN with INFLUENCE. Just because we have a lot of Bini influence does not mean our origin is Bini. Our situation is similar to the Ikas of Anioma who actually originate from Bini but heavily Igbo-influenced. That is why when Sunday Oliseh said he is not Igbo, he was not been disrespectful of them. He was only telling the truth. Imagine all those millions of Igbos living in the SW today. Maybe 300 years from now we know say because they are influenced by the SW culture they are now Yorubas even though they originate from the SE. It does not make sense. And it is shocking, that some of our people are making this elementary mistake. As for me and my house - we know our origin.

Ika people are not from Benin, even the Ika people who deny being Igbo for the most part do not claim to be from Benin. The Obi of Owa traces their lineage to Nri.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. / The African Phenotype Diversity Thread / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.