Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,841 members, 7,806,364 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

6 Networking Tips For Introverts - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 6 Networking Tips For Introverts (12303 Views)

Business Ideas For Introverts @$1000 Or Less / Join Business Networking Whatsapp Group For Young Entrepreneurs / Introverts: Change Your Attitude, Change Your Life!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Networking Tips For Introverts by giditaxadvisory: 7:21am On Jul 08, 2017
I’ve always been a closeted introvert. I see networking events as the “necessary evil” part of the freelance lifestyle. Walking around and having casual conversation with complete strangers sends chills down my spine. So when I found a free “mingling school” for introverts online, I knew I had to take it. How else could I get rid of the “oh my God, don’t come towards me, stranger!” feeling I had every time I saw a smiling face approaching? Here are six tips that I successfully implemented to help me improve my mingling techniques at networking events.

1. Check your language. I started the article with the confession that I am an introvert. That’s what I thought about myself my entire life. But what if that’s not actually the case? What if, by simply labeling myself as an introvert, I’m transforming this into a self-fulfilling prophecy? Some of the labels we assign to ourselves are holding us back. Because of them, we don’t see the “other path” when it presents itself. The reality is that I can be shy, and I can also become better at mingling. Being good at networking is a skill that can be trained. It is not who I am, but what I do that matters.

2. Let go of negative focus. Your brain is hardwired to take care of your well-being. If you consider mingling a stressful situation, your body will react as such. Your anxiety will kick in, your palms will start to sweat, your muscles will tense and your pulse will accelerate. Your brain is equipped for survival, so it naturally kicks into survival mode. But networking is rarely a life-threatening event, despite the feelings of fear we have towards it. Train your mind to stop focusing on a potential negative outcome by following tip no. 3.

3. Imagine the obstacles aren’t there. Most of the time, we tend to imagine the outcome as a worst case scenario. What if I say something stupid? What if I stutter? What if I won’t fit in? Take some time before the event and write down best case scenarios. What is the best thing that could happen if I dare to put myself out there? What connections could I make? What opportunities could I uncover? This is what you’ll miss out on if you decide not to attend.

4. Find the common ground. If you think you’re the only one at the event dreading the small talk, have I got news for you. You’re not. There are other people in the room who would rather be somewhere else too. And guess what. That’s only one of the things you have in common. The brain signals approval when we meet someone that we share some common ground with. So find the common ground with other attendees. It can be anything, from working in the same field, to having the same name, to liking the same restaurants. You can also research beforehand who is going to attend the event and figure out one or two things that you have in common. It's not stalking. It's preparation. Preparation often eases anxiety.

5. Use self-fulfilling prophecies to your advantage. We usually think of a self-fulfilling prophecy in negative terms. We’re afraid that something bad will happen, and it does. What if we could reverse that? Studies show that people who think they’ll be liked by others will behave in ways that will, indeed, make them more likeable. They appear less nervous and more warm, so they are more likely to elicit a positive response in a social situation. Start with the belief that the event will be a success and that you’ll manage to make good connections. If in doubt on how to do that, go back to the answers you wrote down for tip no. 3.

6. New behaviors are like new shoes. This metaphor is probably the best take-away from the Mingling School for Introverts course. When you first wear a new pair of shoes, it’s bound to feel uncomfortable. But the more you break them in, the better you feel wearing them. It’s the same with new behaviors. They’re difficult and uncomfortable at first, but if you persevere in them, they become second nature. They just fit. Mingling and networking are skills, therefore they can be trained. And the best training methods include training our behaviors. This takes time and practice, but it is possible.

Source

http://time.com/4074050/networking-tips-introvert/?xid=tcoshare

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by Kennitrust(m): 7:41am On Jul 08, 2017
get to know this...

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by jegz25(m): 7:41am On Jul 08, 2017
booked space,don't even no what to comment...may be d guy below will have something to say
Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by jejemanito: 7:42am On Jul 08, 2017
The ultimate tip is to be the best at anything you do.

That way people will have no choice but to associate with you

7 Likes

Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by Chidimercy: 7:42am On Jul 08, 2017
space booked
Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by Nobody: 7:42am On Jul 08, 2017
I Concur...

5 Likes

Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by thickminaj(f): 7:42am On Jul 08, 2017
. wink nice one op... Introverts make the best online extroverts

12 Likes

Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by kudos4god(m): 7:43am On Jul 08, 2017
First to come. Let me go back and read the tip
Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by ichommy(m): 7:44am On Jul 08, 2017
Lovely Nuggets.
Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by klassykute(m): 7:45am On Jul 08, 2017
Mi am an introvert too buh most times being n introvert is cool o. U no gt whalah u mor even dey find pesin own self, d onli tins is dat wen e reach time to talk to girl na there d whala dey i ...

Buh often times girls will approach u first... wen my introvercy critical day year i b gt rch 8 gf now wey i dn start to talk even 1 no dey

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by DadojoReloaded(m): 7:47am On Jul 08, 2017
Another common issue with introverts is their Relationships

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by Liturgy(m): 7:47am On Jul 08, 2017
Nice job
Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by deriksneh(m): 7:47am On Jul 08, 2017
is there any nairalander in IMOPOLY?

1 Like

Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by Nobody: 7:47am On Jul 08, 2017
thanks op
Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by chronique(m): 7:47am On Jul 08, 2017
Hmmm. I'm only an introvert when it comes to personal relationship, and wanting to restrict access to my personal life. When it comes to business, I'm no introvert. I find myself easily interacting with strangers and I do it freely. If the networking event demands that I sell a product to you, I'd be a completely different person.

6 Likes

Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by Opistorincos(m): 7:51am On Jul 08, 2017
God bless the op for this

1 Like

Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by sparko1(m): 7:52am On Jul 08, 2017
Truth is everything come with practice, but talking for a Long time is still a problem.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by klassykute(m): 7:53am On Jul 08, 2017
DadojoReloaded:
Another common issue with introverts is their Relationships
wat abt it
Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by Nobody: 7:53am On Jul 08, 2017
Good one Op, though you sound more to me like an Extroverted Introvert(Ambivert) .

When an introvert try to mingle with people that drains there energy leading to anxiety , and what av u

But I agreed with you ...taking one step at a time.
And never think of what people will say if you are making any blunder ...just be yourself
Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by Emodeee: 7:53am On Jul 08, 2017
it will look as if i am forcing myself.
Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by ugosonics: 7:54am On Jul 08, 2017
Ok oo

Check my signature for cheap internet data plan
Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by Iykmann(m): 8:03am On Jul 08, 2017
I join a new church, the pastor always ask people to do closing prayer.i can't wait to collaps

3 Likes

Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by bsideboii(m): 8:03am On Jul 08, 2017
Good read.Very valid tips here...hopefully I'll use them when I'm on top of my game in the automobile industry...mediocrity kills vibes abeg.
Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by sakalisis(m): 8:03am On Jul 08, 2017
cool
Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by BrightEye(m): 8:10am On Jul 08, 2017
hmmm
chronique:
Hmmm. I'm only an introvert when it comes to personal relationship, and wanting to restrict access to my personal life. When it comes to business, I'm no introvert. I find myself easily interacting with strangers and I do it freely. If the networking event demands that I sell a product to you, I'd be a completely different person.

Apparently, this is same to all introverts. In fact, many introverts tend to be more competent, if not active, than their counterparts. So, introversion doesn't always affect ones profession, but the social relationship, esp with the opposite sex. I am also an example.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by RexEmmyGee: 8:10am On Jul 08, 2017
1. X is a 7 letters word.
2. New babies likes X better dan breast milk.
3. The poor have X.
4. The rich looks for X from d poor.
5. If you eat X u may die.
6. X is more important than your life.
7. X is impossible to God
8. I swear I will give u X if u get d answer.
What is ​X​?10mins to go

Your time starts now
Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by hobermener: 8:13am On Jul 08, 2017
Some are "dyed in the wool introverts". Asking them to follow these tips will only put them in more uncomfortable situations than intended. Its just like "faking it to make it", what's worse about this is the realization that your being fake at the middle of it all, and the awkward feeling that comes with it -consequently making you to crawl back into your shell, and worse still making you more introverted than your previously were.
Just be true to yourself!!!
If you're introverted, don't let society paint this to you as a social flaw. Its just who you are. Love who you are and never try too hard to push it. Some would understand you for who you are and love you for it.
And to those who would always find you awkward, thats their cup of tea grin

10 Likes

Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by Alexbrain(m): 8:15am On Jul 08, 2017
Discovering your talents and building up your skills with be a very productive way to tackle unemployment and become an entrepreneur.
Check out this free online book that will help you with that
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/657738
http://okadabooks.com/book/about/talent__the_bomb/12751#
Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by Nobody: 8:16am On Jul 08, 2017
RexEmmyGee:
1. X is a 7 letters word.
2. New babies likes X better dan breast milk.
3. The poor have X.
4. The rich looks for X from d poor.
5. If you eat X u may die.
6. X is more important than your life.
7. X is impossible to God
8. I swear I will give u X if u get d answer.
What is ​X​?10mins to go

Your time starts now
Nothing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by appswift: 8:19am On Jul 08, 2017
Re: 6 Networking Tips For Introverts by sekem: 8:19am On Jul 08, 2017
Excuse me sir, but did you say you are a closeted gay? cheesy wink grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG Seeks Fresh Court Order To Extend Detention Of Binance Executives / EFCC Obtains Court Order To Track Nigerians Transacting On Binance / Requirements To Start A Filling Station Business In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.