Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,819 members, 7,802,623 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:39 PM

12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church (24648 Views)

Coronavirus: 3 Nigerian Church Buildings That Can Be Used As Treatment Centres / Deeper Life Bible Church: The Nigerian Church That Has Stood The Test Of Time / Police Officers Storm "Noisy" Nigerian Church In Detroit USA, Dance With Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 7:14am On Jul 09, 2017
-Leke Beecroft

1. The Old ARENA of the Redeemed Christian Church of God is the size of 86 football fields (1km x 1km) and was built at the cost of over N7.7 Billion,completed in 2007 while the new one is 3km x 3km in size.

2. The Living Faith Church aka Winners Chapel pays tithes to the Redeemed Christian Church of God. January 2011 tithe amounted to about N1.5Billion.

3. There are about 40,000 churches presently in Lagos Nigeria.

4. The Redeemed Christian Church of God used 80,000 ushers and a 1,500 strong choir for the single night of Lekki '98 in December 1998. The church estimated the crowd at 6.5million instead of the expected 3million while CNN put it at 7.2million.

5. Pastor WF Kumuyi of Deeper Life Bible Church was formerly a member of the Apostolic Faith Church and was later excommunicated. Today, the Deeper Life Bible Church, founded by Pastor Kumuyi is bigger in size than the Apostolic Faith Church in Nigeria.

6. The two largest churches in Europe are pastored by Nigerians.
#1. Pastor Sunday Adelaja of the 20,000 member-Embassy of the Blessed Kingdom of God for all Nations. Kiev,Ukraine. Eastern Europe.
#2. Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo of the Kingsway International Christian Centre, London, England. Western Europe.

7. The Roman Catholic Church is the wealthiest institution in the world. As at 2008, she owned 93,315 elementary or nursery/primary schools and 42,234 secondary schools with 48,278,000 students in these schools.

8. According to the Vatican,there are 11,000 seminarians in Nigeria while Bigard Memorial is the largest seminary in the world.

9. The Living Faith Church Worldwide (LFCW) has a 25 year educational program from 2007-2032 which includes the establishment of 7 universities,140 secondary schools and 5,000 nursery/primary schools.

10. Seventh Day Adventist Church owns 116 universities including Babcock University,Ogun State,Nigeria.

11. The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (Mormon Church) is the second richest church in the world after the Roman Catholic Church.

12. Assemblies of God with 60 million members is the largest pentecostal church in the world.

https://churchgistinfo..com.ng/2017/03/church-facts-by-leke-beecroft.html?m=1

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 7:20am On Jul 09, 2017
Mormon Church
Never knew this. Thanks for sharing OP.

I see my church up there. *smiles*

5 Likes

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by johnwizey: 7:22am On Jul 09, 2017
Winners dey pay tithe to Redeem, who redeem con dey pay to?

27 Likes

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 7:26am On Jul 09, 2017
Pls anyone who has an idea or knows total number of churches in Nigeria should let me know. I was able to obtain the total number of denominations in Nigeria. But I couldn't get the number for all churches when you count them as individual entities. The best I could get from church leaders was the figure for Lagos. I ve been able to get the figures for US and other western countries but it is all meaningless if I can't get figures or estimates for total Nigerian Churches.

1 Like

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by rawpadgin(m): 7:29am On Jul 09, 2017
can u imagine

the fact is most of churches don't give a fvck about salvation, all they are after is the cheese

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 7:30am On Jul 09, 2017
johnwizey:
Lol I am going to find out soon. But I don't believe all Pentecostal churches in Nigeria practice this. This is probably limited to the Living Faith and the churches it mentors e.g Dunamix, Daystar, Pastor Ibieyomie's church.
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by VargasVee(m): 7:30am On Jul 09, 2017
The only fact I do know is, church in Nigeria is a Business

Nothing else.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by johncallidon(m): 7:31am On Jul 09, 2017
nice concept.

1 Like

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by brandonobi(m): 7:32am On Jul 09, 2017
church church church, and Nigeria is still like this

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by hopefulLandlord: 7:36am On Jul 09, 2017
Plot Bought

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 09, 2017
Well what astounded me about this was the tithing thing about lfc and rccg- very commendable and it's also a strong show unity. But it also reveals the income of lfc-one of the five mega star indigenous Nigerian churches with an income of over 15 billion/per month. This means that with the exception of Lagos, Ogun.

The lfc is wealthier than Ondo, ekiti, Oyo, Kwara, Osun put together. The generals of old who have spent blood and sweat, toiled in fastings and prayers to bring a revival and to spread the tentacles of Christianity beyond. but I would say that we(the youths of the church) the face of the current and future generation of Nigerian Christianity must seriously carry along Aid and help as a very central part of our message.

* I must also note that the income for most churches(even from all countries) is always received by headquarters and distributed back as percentages to those contributing Churches.

13 Likes

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 7:52am On Jul 09, 2017
Imagine the money that our churches make but there is still suffering in Christendom.

What do they really use the money for because i can't remember seeing any tangible missionary work they are using it for.

The amount of Northern Christian suffering from BH menace
Is high but the churches are not doing 12% to show that we re all serving same body of cChrist

6 Likes

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Khemhyte(f): 7:53am On Jul 09, 2017
How are we sure these acclaimed facts are actually factuals. Let's dig deeper.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by kiddoiLL(m): 7:55am On Jul 09, 2017
BleSSedMee:
Mormon Church

Never knew this. Thanks for sharing OP.

I see my church up there. *smiles*
Mormon isnt what you might be thinking, Mormon is the name of one of the Church's early prophet i think. Their members are always called to serve for a certain time, they believe everyone has to win a soul for the kingdom of God, and this is one of the most heart warming Church's i've been to. Besides LDS is the church with the best choirs in the world i think. They keep simple doctrines, no instruments except Organ on Sundays, their music pieces is always Hymns. I'm not a member but the church is really really good. This is not like our local churches dat wont teach you how to live or succeed in this life but give u prophecy upon prophecy without leading you. This is a church that'll teach you the word of God and still teach you how to farm and get products you need...LDS has a far wild mentality, maybe cause its a white man's church..i dunno but that Church is also top. My sister's been going to LDS from Very young age, and well last year i did with em and learnt bout em.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by gidjah(m): 8:01am On Jul 09, 2017
LFC inc also receives thithes from other ministries too, RCCG is really making it big on that stance, lots of ministries I know of personally pay their tithes to her (RCCG).no be small thing, after all, Abraham gave the tithes of all to His senior (Melchizedec)
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 8:03am On Jul 09, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
Imagine the money that our churches make but there is still suffering in Christendom.

What do they really use the money for because i can't remember seeing any tangible missionary work they are using it for.

The amount of Northern Christian suffering from BH menace
Is high but the churches are not doing 12% to show that we re all serving same body of cChrist
Don't ever criticize Nigeria churches for not engaging in missionary. That rrcg is in 193 countries and lfc is in 65 countries-do you think those churches in those countries just disappeared. I have seen Zimbabweans that are members of the lfc. They didn't just become, someone must have preached to them. Same as Kenya, Congo etc.

I agree that we need to do more for Christians that are suffering.

10 Likes

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 8:07am On Jul 09, 2017
Khemhyte:
How are we sure these acclaimed facts are actually factuals. Let's dig deeper.
If you know who Leke Beecroft was you wouldn't ask. He is a researcher on Church issues and very influential in the living faith community.

1 Like

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 8:07am On Jul 09, 2017
Statsocial:

Don't ever criticize Nigeria churches for not engaging in missionary. That rrcg is in 193 countries and lfc is in 65 countries-do you think those churches in those countries just disappeared. I have seen Zimbabweans that are members of the lfc. They didn't just become, someone must have preached to them. Same as Kenya, Congo etc.

I agree that we need to do more for Christians that are suffering.
How much impact has been felt by their missionary work? Do you think it's about building only churches?

They are busy opening branches overseas to swell their Forex bank accounts.

Where are the schools or hospitals that can be affordable to everyone built by those churches.

Stop being a Sheeple

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by elantraceey(f): 8:21am On Jul 09, 2017
johnwizey:

Most big churches in Nigeria pays tithe to redeem, redeem distributes it to missionaries all over the world

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by elantraceey(f): 8:22am On Jul 09, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
How much impact has been felt by their missionary work? Do you think it's about building only churches?

They are busy opening branches overseas to swell their Forex bank accounts.

Where are the schools or hospitals that can be affordable to everyone built by those churches.

Stop being a Sheeple

Have you ever being a part of a missionary team?

If not, Just shut up.

8 Likes

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 8:25am On Jul 09, 2017
elantraceey:

Have you ever being a part of a missionary team?

If not, Just shut up.
If only you can address the issue with your brains and not a battered emotions we will make a headway.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by elantraceey(f): 8:28am On Jul 09, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
If only you can address the issue with your brains and not a battered emotions we will make a headway.

You're wrong, I'm not addressing this with emotions as you think, you know little or nothing about something you've never been a part of... you can only guess so if you've never been a part of any missionary team whether local or international then you shouldn't speak about it because you know nothing.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 09, 2017
kiddoiLL:
Mormon isnt what you might be thinking, Mormon is the name of one of the Church's early prophet i think. Their members are always called to serve for a certain time, they believe everyone has to win a soul for the kingdom of God, and this is one of the most heart warming Church's i've been to. Besides LDS is the church with the best choirs in the world i think. They keep simple doctrines, no instruments except Organ on Sundays, their music pieces is always Hymns. I'm not a member but the church is really really good. This is not like our local churches dat wont teach you how to live or succeed in this life but give u prophecy upon prophecy without leading you. This is a church that'll teach you the word of God and still teach you how to farm and get products you need...LDS has a far wild mentality, maybe cause its a white man's church..i dunno but that Church is also top. My sister's been going to LDS from Very young age, and well last year i did with em and learnt bout em.

You don't say!

I'm impressed.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 09, 2017
elantraceey:

Most big churches in Nigeria pays tithe to redeem, redeem distributes it to missionaries all over the world
Really! That is good. There are so many things we don't know about the great work churches are doing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 8:54am On Jul 09, 2017
elantraceey:

You're wrong, I'm not addressing this with emotions as you think, you know little or nothing about something you've never been a part of... you can only guess so if you've never been a part of any missionary team whether local or international then you shouldn't speak about it because you know nothing.
Do i need to be part of a team to know what's happening there? The result of their works is what we are basing our judgement on.

Missionary work is not only about preaching and sharing bibles it's about building schools, hospitals, empowerment, feeding the hunger and promoting other social works.

My grouse is the money the church rakes in cannot be felt by the common man around. Our Pastors are now billionaires and busy building mighty church edifice while the members are groaning under suffering

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 9:08am On Jul 09, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
Do i need to be part of a team to know what's happening there? The result of their works is what we are basing our judgement on.

Missionary work is not only about preaching and sharing bibles it's about building schools, hospitals, empowerment, feeding the hunger and promoting other social works.

My grouse is the money the church rakes in cannot be felt by the common man around. Our Pastors are now billionaires and busy building mighty church edifice while the members are groaning under suffering
No church can make you wealthy. The best they can do Is to feed you. I would prefer the church to be feeding unbelievers than Christians. As for Christians, we should of a necessity live a life of abundant supply and that supply doesn't come from church but the Lord and we can only get from the lord only when we practice the principles of giving. First, towards the poor and secondly to the church. LFC sometime ago spent 500M on empowerment of individuals but you wouldn't see that since they don't take photo ops.

3 Likes

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by elantraceey(f): 9:30am On Jul 09, 2017
Statsocial:

Really! That is good. There are so many things we don't know about the great work churches are doing.

Exactly..... That's what I'm trying to tell that lady up there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by elantraceey(f): 9:31am On Jul 09, 2017
QueenOfNepal:

Are you a Christian?
Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 10:10am On Jul 09, 2017
elantraceey:

Are you a Christian?
Yes. A bible one not a church one

5 Likes

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by kiddoiLL(m): 10:14am On Jul 09, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
Yes. A bible one not a church one
lol...i love this answer

7 Likes

Re: 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 09, 2017
Living Faith Church paid a tithe of 1.5b naira in January 2011, which means they made 15billion naira in the same month.

I no talk anything shaa

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Lie "We" Preached From The Pulpit.... / His Pastor Shared His Confidential Information While Preaching / Enoch Adeboye Pictured With Ban Ki-moon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.