Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew (30853 Views)

Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage / Some Igbo Words That Are The Same Meaning With Hebrew (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by nengibo: 6:56pm On Jul 10, 2017
hammerF:

Sure, that is y the baby came out white and not mixed race?

Try harder, this happened in London and dna test confirm the baby belongs to both couple.
Shxt happens, but what do you stand to gain from this Jewish links and hwfr will you go, for instance will you reclaim ur lost hebrew language
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 7:02pm On Jul 10, 2017
nengibo:

Black man always feeling inferior to foreign culture

U say Ada means Adornment or 'beautiful ornament.'?

Wat do Igbo mean by Adanma?

These words are too close to be separated.

Further, in hebrew tradition the name ADA is used for female to reference first daughter. This is gotten from the biblical Adam which references the First man. (Reference to Adam, the first MAN) ADA (1Corinthians 15:45)
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by nengibo: 7:37pm On Jul 10, 2017
hammerF:

U say Ada means Adornment or 'beautiful ornament.'?

Wat do Igbo mean by Adanma?

These words are too close to be separated.

Further, in hebrew tradition the name ADA is used for female to reference first daughter. This is gotten from the biblical Adam which references the First man. (Reference to Adam, the first MAN) ADA (1Corinthians 15:45)
Madonna once sang "you only see what your eyes want to see"
From Adah(adonment) to ada(first daughter) to adamah to ada mma

It could be ultimately derived from Hebrew אדם ('adam) meaning "to be red", referring to the ruddy colour of human skin, or from Akkadian adamu meaning "to make". According to Genesis in the Old Testament Adam was created from the earth by God (there is a word play on Hebrew אֲדָמָה ('adamah) "earth"wink.
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 7:48pm On Jul 10, 2017
nengibo:

It could be ultimately derived from Hebrew אדם ('adam) meaning "to be red", referring to the ruddy colour of human skin, or from Akkadian adamu meaning "to make". According to Genesis in the Old Testament Adam was created from the earth by God (there is a word play on Hebrew אֲדָמָה ('adamah) "earth"wink.

Were u looking for literal translation after almost 2000 years apart?

The point here is that they use the name Ada in the same way the Igbo of Nigeria use it.

Ada is abrrievation of Adanma or Adanna OR Adah.

This indicates that the name have several meaning and usage.

Adanma means 'beautiful first daughter' Adanna means daddy first daughter.

The Hebrew tradition denotes that the name Adah means beautiful ornament or Adornment.

Traditionally the hebrew use the name Ada to reference first daughter like the biblical Adam reference first man. It is a girls name.

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 7:50pm On Jul 10, 2017
nengibo:

Ezer or Eze is the one i find most intriguing.

Usages of 'ezer in the Old Testament show that in most cases God is an 'ezer to human beings, which calls to question if the word "helper" is a valid interpretation of 'ezer in any instance it is used. "Evidence indicates that the word 'ezer originally had two roots, each beginning with different guttural sounds. One meant "power" and the other "strength. https://godswordtowomen.org/ezerkenegdo.htm

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 7:52pm On Jul 10, 2017
Ngozi123, come and see this.

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by nengibo: 9:01pm On Jul 10, 2017
hammerF:

The point here is that they use the name Ada in the same way the Igbo of Nigeria use it.

Ada is abrrievation of adanma or Adanna OR Adah.

The Hebrew tradition denotes that the name Adah means beautiful ornament or Adornment.

Traditionally the hebrew use the name Ada to reference first daughter like the biblical Adam reference first man. It is a girls name.

Isn't that the point of your post, to show words with similar meanings & pronunciation btw Igbo & Hebrew?
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by nengibo: 9:03pm On Jul 10, 2017
hammerF:

Ezer or Eze is the one i find most intriguing.

Usages of 'ezer in the Old Testament show that in most cases God is an 'ezer to human beings, which calls to question if the word "helper" is a valid interpretation of 'ezer in any instance it is used. "Evidence indicates that the word 'ezer originally had two roots, each beginning with different guttural sounds. One meant "power" and the other "strength. https://godswordtowomen.org/ezerkenegdo.htm
What does ezer mean in Igbo
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by ezeagu(m): 9:28pm On Jul 10, 2017
hammerF:

Igbos have something in their blood from biblical times, naturally, even people that are half white turn black if they keep making babies with black people.

Skin colour is not really a factor here, migration to Igbo land from the City of David was over a thousand years ago. U settled and intermarried primarily with the bantu of Cross River and Akwa Ibom.

Not everybody from Isreal fled to Africa, many went in the direction of Europe, some india(Asia), how do u expect them to look after over 1000 years.

They only returned to Isreal after the second world war in 1945, before that they were stateless.

So you believe you are a descendant of white men. What a sad joke.

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by ezeagu(m): 9:37pm On Jul 10, 2017
hammerF:

Ada is abrrievation of Adanma or Adanna OR Adah.

Ada is not an abbreviation of anything, it means first daughter, please don't twist Igbo traditions to suit this fantasy. Adah in the Jewish community means adornment, that has nothing to do with being a first daughter, Adah is not even pronounced like Ada, it's pronunced like 'A' da.

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 9:48pm On Jul 10, 2017
ezeagu:

Ada is not an abbreviation of anything, it means first daughter, please don't twist Igbo traditions to suit this fantasy. Adah in the Jewish community means adornment, that has nothing to do with being a first daughter, Adah is not even pronounced like Ada, it's pronunced like 'A' da.

ezeagu:

So you believe you are a descendant of white men. What a sad joke.

So u missed my definition of Ada above ur post and who said the jews are white?
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 9:51pm On Jul 10, 2017
nengibo:

Isn't that the point of your post, to show[b] words with similar meanings & pronunciation btw Igbo & Hebrew[/b]?

Is dat not wat I showed u? wat more do u want?
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by Ngozi123(f): 10:21pm On Jul 10, 2017
hammerF:
Ngozi123, come and see this.

'Ariah' is 'lion' in Hebrew, I've never seen "agur" translated as lion in Hebrew but it might still be correct. I'm unsure over the whole 'Hebrew' tag and don't like the fact that it's used to link us to the white Jews. Perhaps, if more Igbos were willing to state that we are descendants of black Jewish people, rather than the white ones then I'd be more open to it.

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 10:44pm On Jul 10, 2017
Ngozi123:

'Ariah' is 'lion' in Hebrew, I've never seen "agur" translated as lion in Hebrew but it might still be correct. I'm unsure over the whole 'Hebrew' tag and don't like the fact that it's used to link us to the white Jews. Perhaps, if more Igbos were willing to state that we are descendants of black Jewish people, rather than the white ones then I'd be more open to it.

Hi! Words that old over time pick up other meaning. Besides translating dem will never be that straight forward becos the writing is not the same. We write in English, they write in Hebrew.

However, i found a link from the Orthodox Jewish Bible that confirms Agur is Lion. @AjaanaOka

22| "Andof Dan he said,Dan is agur aryeh(lion's whelp);he shall leap from Bashan." |

: - Page 30 - Google Books Resultthat reference Agur as Lion. link attached. https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=2UGnAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA30-IA310&lpg=PA30-IA310&dq=agur+lion&source=bl&ots=Lr1_Adaoys&sig=l3-oUWSjlGmnu3mF-gziulP3cN0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjizuLy1v_UAhUDKcAKHa_KAWMQ6AEIWzAN#v=onepage&q=agur%20lion&f=false|
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 10:51pm On Jul 10, 2017
nengibo:

What does ezer mean in Igbo

Hebrew Ezer, Igbo Eze
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 10:56pm On Jul 10, 2017
And to those of u saying Agu is not Lion, u are seriously wrong.

Agu means lion and the word was used to denote Big Cat.

Obviously Lions were indigenous to Southern Africa but we did have Lions in west Africa, though not as much as the south.

The main Big Cat in west Africa (our neck of the woods is Leopard), our Ancestor used the word Agu to refer to Big Cats and dat includes Lion.

Till this day, majority of Igbo use the word Agu to refer to Lion.

Wake up, we are Hebrew.

Many of us dont even know where the word Igbo came from or wat it means. Heebo, Eboe, Igbo, Ibo.... it is Hebrew.
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by AjaanaOka(m): 11:09pm On Jul 10, 2017
hammerF:

Hi! Words that old over time pick up other meaning. Besides translating dem will never be that straight forward becos the writing is not the same. We write in English, they write in Hebrew.

However, i found a link from the Orthodox Jewish Bible that confirms Agur is Lion. @AjaanaOka

22| "Andof Dan he said,Dan is agur aryeh(lion's whelp);he shall leap from Bashan." |

: - Page 30 - Google Books Resultthat reference Agur as Lion. link attached. https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=2UGnAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA30-IA310&lpg=PA30-IA310&dq=agur+lion&source=bl&ots=Lr1_Adaoys&sig=l3-oUWSjlGmnu3mF-gziulP3cN0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjizuLy1v_UAhUDKcAKHa_KAWMQ6AEIWzAN#v=onepage&q=agur%20lion&f=false|

This link confirms nothing of the sort.

If you had looked up individually the words that make up the phrase "gur aryeh", you would have seen that it is not "gur" that means 'lion', but rather it is 'aryeh'.

http://www.kveller.com/jewish-baby-name/aryeh/

By elimination, the 'gur' part of the phrase probably means 'whelp'.

And by the way, the link says 'gur', not 'agur'; you jammed the article 'a' into the 'gur' to produce your 'agur'.
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by bayoadeyanju: 11:13pm On Jul 10, 2017
ezer: a help, helper...........................Culled from online Hebrew dictionary.

So my brother, Ezer in Hebrew is not Eze in Ibo. Stop spreading falsehood.

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 11:18pm On Jul 10, 2017
bayoadeyanju:
ezer: a help, helper...........................Culled from online Hebrew dictionary.

So my brother, Ezer in Hebrew is not Eze in Ibo. Stop spreading falsehood.

AjaanaOka:

If you had looked up individually the words that make up the phrase "gur aryeh", you would have seen that it is not "gur" that means 'lion', but rather it is 'aryeh'.

U people are mad, let me put it plain and simple.

Are u not the ones that said Philip Emegwali never provided the mathematical formula for the computer even after Bill Clinton confirmed it before the Nigeria National assembly?

Anything u say is lies from the bitterness of ur hearts. Bill Clinton from America made mistake, he dont know wat he is saying. hahahahaha!
http://saharareporters.com/2010/10/18/how-philip-emeagwali-lied-his-way-fame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kF3UTxmjuU

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by AjaanaOka(m): 11:22pm On Jul 10, 2017
hammerF:

U people are mad, let me put it plain and simple.

Are u not the ones that said Philip Emegwali never provided the mathimatical formula for the computer even after Bill Clinton confirmed it before the Nigeria National assembly?

Anything u say is lies from the bitterness of ur hearts. Bill Gates from America made mistake, he dont know wat he is saying. hahahahaha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kF3UTxmjuU

Oh. Can't prove your points, so you're gonna settle for insult and unrelated twaddle. Okay. That's my cue. Knock yourself out with your Hebrew fantasy.
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 11:24pm On Jul 10, 2017
AjaanaOka:

Oh. Can't prove your points, so you're gonna settle for insult. Okay. That's my cue. Knock yourself out with your Hebrew fantasy.

U looking for prove? Even if u were provided with it, u will minus one letter or hide the evidence.
All the prove is right in front of ur face.

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 11:38pm On Jul 10, 2017
AjaanaOka:

By elimination, the 'gur' part of the phrase probably means 'whelp'.

And by the way, the link says 'gur', not 'agur'; you jammed the article 'a' into the 'gur' to produce your 'agur'.

Ngozi123 these people are worth ignoring, i gave him a word and he took out the 'a' and then made it 'gur'.

Copy this passage into google search and tell us if it is gur or agur.

"[b]Andof Dan he said,Dan is agur aryeh(lion's whelp);he shall leap from Bashan." [/b]

What he fails to realise is that agur aryeh means lions cub.

They both mean Lion. So he is on a long thing, besides making me angry.

Here is a link to the modern bible. http://biblehub.com/deuteronomy/33-22.htm

I am tired of the envy from the Yorubas, it is too much, no other group in Nigeria is that intense on Igbo matter.
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by AjaanaOka(m): 11:50pm On Jul 10, 2017
I took out what? Here is a screenshot of your link. Look at it and tell me who between the two of us tampered with the source.

It says 'Dan is a gur.' A gur. 'A' being the article; 'gur' being the 'noun'. The Jewish phrase being 'gur aryeh'. But you decided to ram 'a' and 'gur' together to produce 'agur', because you desperately needed to prove a point that is not there.

Look. At. A. Screenshot. From. Your. Own. Link.

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by AjaanaOka(m): 11:52pm On Jul 10, 2017
And, I am not Yoruba. I am Igbo. From Awka. Someone with deep interest in Igbo history. Look at my username. It means the Soil of Awka. I am no Jew.

2 Likes

Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 1:01am On Jul 11, 2017
AjaanaOka:
And, I am not Yoruba. I am Igbo. From Awka. Someone with deep interest in Igbo history. Look at my username. It means the Soil of Awka. I am no Jew.

Dat is absolutely right. U are no Hebrew, so run along.

Igbo? wat does dat mean? Some of u are Afonja by blood, product of Rape during Biafra war.

We have to contend with u too.

U are interested in history but u want to sit on ur fat ass for who to conduct all the research?

I am not interested in history, i just know who i am.

I have a temper, dont be stupid next time.

Just take these words, punch it into google and screen shot wat u see here.

"Andof Dan he said,Dan is agur aryeh

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by AjaanaOka(m): 1:41am On Jul 11, 2017
hammerF:

Dat is absolutely right. U are no Hebrew, so run along.

Igbo? wat does dat mean? Some of u are Afonja by blood, product of Rape during Biafra war.

We have to contend with u too.

U are interested in history but u want to sit on ur fat ass for who to conduct all the research?

I am not interested in history, i just know who i am.

I have a temper, dont be stupid next time.

Just take these words, punch it into google and screen shot wat u see here.

"Andof Dan he said,Dan is agur aryeh

I see retards still run this circus of a place. Last word to you: Take your temper, your rape fantasies, your Afonja obsession, all that stupidity that swims around in your empty head, and shove it up your ass, son.

2 Likes

Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 1:50am On Jul 11, 2017
AjaanaOka:

I see retards still run this circus of a place. Last word to you: Take your temper, your rape fantasies, your Afonja obsession, all that stupidity that swims around in your empty head, and shove it up your ass, son.

U sound really illiterate. Nexttime, dont hide behind a spare moniker to make claims, use ur regular moniker illiterate.

u are an illiterate dat cannot decipher any language even if ur life depended on it. idiot!

For ur info the word A-GUR is added in ancient hebrew the way u add 's' to fantasies. educated illiterate.

Hebrew words are formed from roots by changing vowels and by adding a wealth of prefixes and suffixes to that root.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefixes_in_Hebrew
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 2:01am On Jul 11, 2017
We are nearly 2000 years away and u want the words to be identically evident without investigative research.

They write in hebrew and we are writing in English.
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 2:04am On Jul 11, 2017
AjaanaOka:
This would have been funny if it wasn't so sad. So basically someone just sat down with a Bible and picked out Biblical names that sound close to some Igbo words; and without caring to find out what the names mean in Hebrew just assumed that they share cognatic relationship with the Igbo words.

Well, I have bad news. None of the Hebrew words there have the same meaning with their Igbo 'look-alikes'.

[s]Adah means 'adornment' not 'first daughter'.[/s]

[s]Agur means 'collector/gatherer', not 'leopard'.[/s]

At least learn how comparative linguistics work before coming up with this type of stuff.

The Hebrew (whether Ashkenazi or Sephardic or Mizraic or whatever race it was that went by that name in ancient times) is/was not your brother. Your kin are closer home.

Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by hammerF: 2:05am On Jul 11, 2017
Ahi means 'brother', not 'market'.

Aziza means 'powerful', not 'broom'.

Genesis is not even a Hebrew word; it is Greek.

I will investigate these three and expose the truth next.
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by bigfrancis21: 4:41am On Jul 11, 2017
AjaanaOka:

Rodoillo, ma o bulu fulaman, nya I na-ewechadi iwe? cheesy cheesy
Re: Some Igbo Words That Are Same Meaning With Hebrew by bigfrancis21: 4:43am On Jul 11, 2017
hammerF:

Ngozi123 these people are worth ignoring, i gave him a word and he took out the 'a' and then made it 'gur'.

Copy this passage into google search and tell us if it is gur or agur.

"[b]Andof Dan he said,Dan is agur aryeh(lion's whelp);he shall leap from Bashan." [/b]

What he fails to realise is that agur aryeh means lions cub.

They both mean Lion. So he is on a long thing, besides making me angry.

Here is a link to the modern bible. http://biblehub.com/deuteronomy/33-22.htm

I am tired of the envy from the Yorubas, it is too much, no other group in Nigeria is that intense on Igbo matter.

AjaanaOka na confirm Igbo boy from Awka. Nna Nna Nna ya bu onye Igala. cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nkiru Homann Dresses Kids In Germany In Local Outfits - Photos / Ooni Ogunwusi's Gift To Symington, US Ambasador To Nigeria, They Met In Lagos / Ooni Of Ife And 3rd Wife, Olori Tobi Welcome Twins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.