Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,764 members, 7,806,090 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria (26503 Views)

Little Boy Storms Out Of Family Gathering After Being Denied Swimming / Mother Of Nine Who Is Not A Fan Of Family Planning (Photos) / 17-Year-Old Girl Got Pregnant, Chased Out Of Family House, Turns Beggar (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by onegig(m): 11:14pm On Jul 12, 2017
If I submitted an essay as such without background references and citations for just an high school english language assignment like the writer did, I would be flogged.

I wanted to pass over this but sometimes you just need to nip ignorance in the bud before it travels. The article is such a bad jumbling of words by the writer(i am tempted to not call him one because he clearly isn't one) who thought adding boko haram or whatever gives legitimacy over his writings as regards Muslims and birth control. How many Muslims are governed by Boko Haram in the North for their stance to warrant a mention in a public health discuss that cuts across millions of people? Maybe we should start by asking that question. Please get your facts right. Islam enjoins people to do family planning it was even in hadith as far back as 1400 years ago about withdrawal method even though we know it is not that effective but nonetheless it is still a form of birth control.

As for his ignorant position without valid evidences to support such statements like Muslims not supporting birth control. I guess he has never taken a look at the demographics of the world and realize that overpopulation is not a factor caused by religion but more of culture and poverty. In the Nigerian case. It's so easy to explain..

1. The average Nigerian believes their kids is an investment and a sure way out of their poverty(children are "blessings" from the lord they say) and like a lottery player or bad gambler goes on giving birth in the hopes of raising the odds of one of then hitting it big and building them houses and lifting them out of poverty or whatever when they grow old.

2. The high child mortality rate is another issue. It is a known fact that Nigeria alone loses about 2300 children under 5 years old every single day. To put it in good perspectives. There are 201 deaths per 1000 live births. I.e 1 in 5 kids never reach age 5 . You would be alarmed that it is higher than that and to mitigate the effect. Most people tend to give birth to more children in order to increase the survival rates since healthcare is poor and most times they can't even afford it. So why not give birth to more. Give birth to 12 and at least 5 should get to age 40, aint it?

3. People are too poor to afford birth control. Even a N50 condom is a big investment to 9 out of 10 Nigerian males. Let alone female condoms that are much more expensive. I can bet you. Do a mini survey on nairaland amongst girls that are sexually active and ask them if they have ever even seen a female condom in their lives let alone buy. And that is just cd o. Don't even let me go the way of IUCD or the others. How many Nigerians even visit a certified health care centre? How many prinary health care centres do we even have? What is the ratio of Health care practitioners to the population because except you are well learned as regards birth control methods, I doubt you would just decide to wake up one day and start taking brith control pills.

4. Then the main causative. Poverty. Just look at areas with rapid and high birth rates. They have the same denominator. Poor and underdeveloped countries. China, india, brazil, Nigeria e.t.c . I guess if we have to go by the narrative if this du.mb writer Muslims are the only ones domiciled in China, Brazil and India.

5. Ignorance: our education level is so low that even educated people think so irrationally that you would have to classify them as illiterates. I have heard graduates.from university saying using contraceptive is a sin. Or the fact that people still think we are in the farming era where your kids are used as labourers so you don't spend much on labour. Pray tell how many Nigerians own farms?

So which of these factors above are related to religion please? People just writing sensationalist things to gain clicks. angry

And as for the op..I am not surprised. It's a footprint.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by davidif: 11:55pm On Jul 12, 2017
onegig:
If I submitted an essay as such without background references and citations for just an high school english language assignment like the writer did, I would be flogged.

I wanted to pass over this but sometimes you just need to nip ignorance in the bud before it travels. The article is such a bad jumbling of words by the writer(i am tempted to not call him one because he clearly isn't one) who thought adding boko haram or whatever gives legitimacy over his writings as regards Muslims and birth control. How many Muslims are governed by Boko Haram in the North for their stance to warrant a mention in a public health discuss that cuts across millions of people? Maybe we should start by asking that question. Please get your facts right. Islam enjoins people to do family planning it was even in hadith as far back as 1400 years ago about withdrawal method even though we know it is not that effective but nonetheless it is still a form of birth control.

As for his ignorant position without valid evidences to support such statements like Muslims not supporting birth control. I guess he has never taken a look at the demographics of the world and realize that overpopulation is not a factor caused by religion but more of culture and poverty. In the Nigerian case. It's so easy to explain..

1. The average Nigerian believes their kids is an investment and a sure way out of their poverty(children are "blessings" from the lord they say) and like a lottery player or bad gambler goes on giving birth in the hopes of raising the odds of one of then hitting it big and building them houses and lifting them out of poverty or whatever when they grow old.

2. The high child mortality rate is another issue. It is a known fact that Nigeria alone loses about 2300 children under 5 years old every single day. To put it in good perspectives. There are 201 deaths per 1000 live births. I.e 1 in 5 kids never reach age 5 . You would be alarmed that it is higher than that and to mitigate the effect. Most people tend to give birth to more children in order to increase the survival rates since healthcare is poor and most times they can't even afford it. So why not give birth to more. Give birth to 12 and at least 5 should get to age 40, aint it?

3. People are too poor to afford birth control. Even a N50 condom is a big investment to 9 out of 10 Nigerian males. Let alone female condoms that are much more expensive. I can bet you. Do a mini survey on nairaland amongst girls that are sexually active and ask them if they have ever even seen a female condom in their lives let alone buy. And that is just cd o. Don't even let me go the way of IUCD or the others. How many Nigerians even visit a certified health care centre? How many prinary health care centres do we even have? What is the ratio of Health care practitioners to the population because except you are well learned as regards birth control methods, I doubt you would just decide to wake up one day and start taking brith control pills.

4. Then the main causative. Poverty. Just look at areas with rapid and high birth rates. They have the same denominator. Poor and underdeveloped countries. China, india, brazil, Nigeria e.t.c . I guess if we have to go by the narrative if this du.mb writer Muslims are the only ones domiciled in China, Brazil and India.

5. Ignorance: our education level is so low that even educated people think so irrationally that you would have to classify them as illiterates. I have heard graduates.from university saying using contraceptive is a sin. Or the fact that people still think we are in the farming era where your kids are used as labourers so you don't spend much on labour. Pray tell how many Nigerians own farms?

So which of these factors above are related to religion please? People just writing sensationalist things to gain clicks. angry

And as for the op..I am not surprised. It's a footprint.

What is this one talking about? This is a report from the economist (i even cited them). One of the most widely read and respected news publications in the world. I am sorry but I will take their opinion before some nonsensical rambling from a guy on nairaland. Good day.

3 Likes

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by armyofone(m): 4:40am On Jul 13, 2017
grin
The procedure is simply a walk in the park cheesy

cococandy:

Fat chance convincing a Nigerian man to have a vasectomy.
Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by cococandy(f): 4:47am On Jul 13, 2017
armyofone:
grin
The procedure is simply a walk in the park cheesy

Jurassic Park cheesy (in their mind)
Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by onegig(m): 6:39am On Jul 13, 2017
davidif:

What is this one talking about? This is a report from the economist (i even cited them). One of the most widely read and respected news publications in the world. I am sorry but I will take their opinion before some nonsensical rambling from a guy on nairaland. Good day.

You sound even out of depth than I thought. I see you are one of those if it is from the West it is always correct type.

As if someone sitting in an office in downtown NY would know much more than me in Nigeria that daily experience and have first hand information as regards a topic . CNN definitely knows much more about Ajegunle than the people living in it I guess? Olodo...

Since you actually have nothing based on facts or intellect to contribute than useless links, I would implore you to go on and copy and paste more links that disproves my listed statements.

And you can pocket your good day. You seem to need it more. And just to educate you a bit, an op ed in a newspaper is what it is an "opinion" from any tom dick or harry. Doesn't mean it is the stance of the publication or based on facts.

4 Likes

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Sterope(f): 6:43am On Jul 13, 2017
Lol. You are funny

Coming from economist doesn't make it true or right. It is an opinion piece even if it were based on statistics, statistics can be interpreted in many ways. Seriously though, it is one of the things I expect you to know if you are a uni student or a graduate.

davidif:

3 Likes

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by onegig(m): 6:51am On Jul 13, 2017
Sterope:
Lol. You are funny

Coming from economist doesn't make it true or right. It is an opinion piece even if it were based on statistics, statistics can be interpreted in many ways. Seriously though, it is one of the things I expect you to know if you are a uni student or a graduate.

Help me tell him o. Even Evans would be granted an opportunity to write an opinion for the economist. So what is he yapping sef?

1 Like

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Martin0(m): 7:55am On Jul 13, 2017
carammel:
I may derail a bit on this which may be contrary to all the OP wrote.
In my own opinion,poverty is the problem with family planning in Nigeria. I was at a counselling center last week to and after all talk and bla,i was told to pay 2600naira for implano,1000naira for pregnancy test and 1600 for the drug,i may be able to afford it but can another woman who can hardly feed 2square meal afford that?
The UN claimed,family planning would check poverty,that is when there are less children,there would be more to go round everyone. I think they should make it free or highly subsidized so everyone mostly the targets "the poor",can afford it and be ready to go for it.
just imagine,am surprise that not even poverty or illiteracy was included,well I also ve the view of (illiteracy) Illiteracy:
The greatest obstacle in the way of the family
planning is the wide spread illiteracy found in marriage.
Due to illiteracy the majority of the population does
not know the significance of family planning. They
will not be able to understand the significance of
family planning till they are educated.
Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Martin0(m): 8:11am On Jul 13, 2017
cococandy:
I'm going to come at this from a different angle and I know many people will start sweating when they read my post but I don't really care because it's true.

The major culprit in population explosion especially in third world countries is patriarchy.
The idea that a man's name has to be perpetuated makes couples have children even if deep down, they really do not want children. In fact everyone is raised to never consider the option of staying childless.

Is anyone on this thread going to claim they've never heard 'who will continue the father's name?' Like the man when he dies will be aware of anyone bearing his name or not.

The women are railroaded into this ego trip by being made to feel worthless when they aren't married or when married and their bodies can't be put to use to perpetuate the man's name.

Don't even get me started on people looking for male children while having their 7th girl and impregnating other women outside in their bid for the male gender.

Argue all we want, this contributes 50% (in my opinion) to the population explosion. At least from my experience growing up.
The birth of male
children is still the source of pride and honour in
Nigeria, while that of female children is seen as
failure.
This perhaps explains the reason for the large
number of children born by most families in a quest
to have male children.
Contrary to the desires of most families, National
Population and Census Board data shows that more
female children are being born than male children
each year in Nigeria. Of Nigeria’s population of about
120 million, 53 percent are female and 47 percent
are male, according to the Nigerian Population and
Censors Board.
This desire for a male child has resulted in husbands
pressuring their wives to have more children, in
some cases putting the health of the women in
danger.
When this fails to produce the desired results, men
will resort to polygamy in the hope that the other
women will give them the son they need.
An average Nigerian does anything to have a male
child, who will carry on the family name in this
patriachal society. Some female children also retain
their family name, even in marriage, to preserve their
father’s name.
Faced with such social perceptions towards male and
female questions, more people in Nigeria are trying
to find answers to the question whether male
children benefit the family more than the girl child.
This search for answers have extended to seeking
understanding and meaning from religion too.
“In Islam, a very high value and respect is placed on
a girl child. Prophet Mohammed made men to
understand that when a man brings up two
daughters very well, and they are married off as
virgins, God will reward him with paradise.
Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by cococandy(f): 8:21am On Jul 13, 2017
What answers are they looking for?

The answer is right there in plain view. It's a result of internalized misogyny that's all.

Martin0:
The birth of male
children is still the source of pride and honour in
Nigeria, while that of female children is seen as
failure.
This perhaps explains the reason for the large
number of children born by most families in a quest
to have male children.
Contrary to the desires of most families, National
Population and Census Board data shows that more
female children are being born than male children
each year in Nigeria. Of Nigeria’s population of about
120 million, 53 percent are female and 47 percent
are male, according to the Nigerian Population and
Censors Board.
This desire for a male child has resulted in husbands
pressuring their wives to have more children, in
some cases putting the health of the women in
danger.
When this fails to produce the desired results, men
will resort to polygamy in the hope that the other
women will give them the son they need.
An average Nigerian does anything to have a male
child, who will carry on the family name in this
patriachal society. Some female children also retain
their family name, even in marriage, to preserve their
father’s name.
Faced with such social perceptions towards male and
female questions, more people in Nigeria are trying
to find answers to the question whether male
children benefit the family more than the girl child.
This search for answers have extended to seeking
understanding and meaning from religion too.
“In Islam, a very high value and respect is placed on
a girl child. Prophet Mohammed made men to
understand that when a man brings up two
daughters very well, and they are married off as
virgins, God will reward him with paradise.

1 Like

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Martin0(m): 8:34am On Jul 13, 2017
cococandy:
What answers are they looking for?

The answer is right there in plain view. It's a result of internalized misogyny that's all.

now let be a bit sincere here,as a lady whom you are will you feel safe marrying a nigerian when you know how they value male child and what it mean's to them..
Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by cococandy(f): 8:40am On Jul 13, 2017
Martin0:
now let be a bit sincere here,as a lady whom you are will you feel safe marrying a nigerian when you know how they value male child and what it mean's to them..
I'm married to one and I feel safe because my safety doesn't depend on a male child.

2 Likes

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Martin0(m): 8:43am On Jul 13, 2017
cococandy:

I'm married to one and I feel safe because my safety doesn't depend on a male child.
oh that because you have a male child..
Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Martin0(m): 8:50am On Jul 13, 2017
cococandy:

Dora Akuyili former NADAC MD once said year's back if you want your marriage to be completely secured

•Have a male child for him
•Cage him with your passionate sex drive
These where her words year's back.

According to her she say ''when a lady is put to bed(hospital)and maybe she was expecting a male child even if she's not disturbed by her husband quest,deep inside her when it fanally becomes a female as against her disires,sometimes she will feel some sence of sadness" And it will be known only to her...

Your husband might not persuade you over a male child but deep inside most ladies because it's the way of Nigerian's and it culture,believ and honors attached to it she will be eager to get one..

1 Like

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by davidif: 10:30am On Jul 13, 2017
Sterope:
Lol. You are funny

It is called journalism. If you don't like it well you are free to do your own research to disprove it. Ain't no one holding you back.

1 Like

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Sterope(f): 11:01am On Jul 13, 2017
You are a thick one. sad

Can't help your caseundecided
davidif:

It is called journalism. If you don't like it well you are free to do your own research to disprove it. Ain't no one holding you back.

1 Like

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Sterope(f): 11:02am On Jul 13, 2017
Is it because she is dead you think you can misquote her? Fear God

Nothing can secure a marriage where wither or both parties don't give a damn about the institution. It is basically stupid to blame women for everything. Nice try!

Martin0:
Dora Akuyili former NADAC MD once said year's back if you want your marriage to be completely secured

According to her she say ''when a lady is put to bed(hospital)and maybe she was expecting a male child even if she's not disturbed by her husband quest,deep inside her when it fanally becomes a female as against her disires,sometimes she will feel some sence of sadness" And it will be known only to her...

Your husband might not persuade you over a male child but deep inside most ladies because it's the way of Nigerian's and it culture,believ and honors attached to it she will be eager to get one..
Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Martin0(m): 11:09am On Jul 13, 2017
Sterope:

Nothing can secure a marriage where wither or both parties don't give a damn about the institution. It is basically stupid to blame women for everything. Nice try!

Hay calm down,don't be in haste to conclude why not do a research on that!!!
Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Martin0(m): 11:11am On Jul 13, 2017
Sterope:

I don't just understand why ladies feel men talke every blam on them..Have any body precisely men blam you for any instinct?

Wait are you married?
Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Sterope(f): 11:24am On Jul 13, 2017
I did afterwards.

It is a blame game. You sound like

"Oh, it is up to you to keep your marriage secure, just give a male child and passionate sex. If not, your fault your loss"

One, it is not true. Two, everything is on the woman again....lke always!
Martin0:
Hay calm down,don't be in haste to conclude why not do a research on that!!!

1 Like

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Martin0(m): 12:25pm On Jul 13, 2017
Sterope:
I did afterwards.

"Oh, it is up to you to keep your marriage secure, just give a male child and passionate sex. If not, your fault your loss"

Wait don't see my comment coming from the prospectives of being am a man,am only generalizing what nigerian's think...not every man will keep sides to such believes...

For Example:
•If we have 10 ladies /women only 2 amoung 10 will standup to say they aren't bordered by the basics of male child..

And based on my quote'' according to Dora as I earlier stated !!!

•Will u say that it is against the believes of nigeria having or prioritizing a male child btw two couples? Because I know very well an average nigerian wants a male child likewise verse to women who are into marriage...

The happiness of marriage does not basically lay's on male child but it systematically gives the woman an upper hand,sence of Authority and say in both her marriage and even to the extended family.(Simple)
Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Sterope(f): 12:54pm On Jul 13, 2017
Don't you feel stu.pid with 'this' logic? It is nauseating. Please don't quote me again

Martin0:
Wait don't see my comment coming from the prospectives of being am a man,am only generalizing what nigerian's think...not every man will keep sides to such believes...

For Example:
•If we have 10 ladies /women only 2 amoung 10 will standup to say they aren't bordered by the basics of male child..

•Will u say that it is against the believes of nigeria having or prioritizing a male child btw two couples? Because I know very well an average nigerian wants a male child likewise verse to women who are into marriage...

The happiness of marriage does not basically lay's on male child but it systematically gives the woman an upper hand,sence of Authority and say in both her marriage and even to the extended family.(Simple)

3 Likes

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Martin0(m): 1:04pm On Jul 13, 2017
Sterope:
Don't you feel stu.pid with 'this' logic? It is nauseating. Please don't quote me again

hahahaahhahahagrin ooo madam this not logic.nor con dey vex for me ooogrin I go continue to quote you anytime anyday,anyseconds..

Or u wanna fight me?

1 Like

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Humanistme: 1:17pm On Jul 13, 2017
Martin0:

For Example:

Sterope:

Martin0:

For Example:

Sterope:

you are derailing this thread. this is about family planning. so many weirdos on nairaland

4 Likes

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Sterope(f): 1:33pm On Jul 13, 2017
Nope, it is not.
Humanistme:

you are derailing this thread. this is about family planning. so many weirdos on nairaland
Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Martin0(m): 1:39pm On Jul 13, 2017
Humanistme:

sorry about that.Sometimes learn to talk•
Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by jaszplus12(m): 3:20pm On Jul 13, 2017
chii8:
Please, what are the side effects of these contraceptives? Don't tell me they don't have any, especially the IUCD (coil).
of course there are side effects but before you start on any contraception you must see your doctor first and he will advise accordingly. the IUCD I must say has the best performance with minimum stress but like I said see your Doc first. cheers.

1 Like

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by cococandy(f): 4:20pm On Jul 13, 2017
Dr. Akunyili is not my bible
Martin0:

3 Likes

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by cococandy(f): 4:23pm On Jul 13, 2017
Sterope:
I did afterwards.

Wait until he learns that it's actually the man who's responsible for the gender of the baby.

Ignorance everywhere

2 Likes

Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by cococandy(f): 4:24pm On Jul 13, 2017
Martin0:
oh that because you have a male child..
Do I?
Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Martin0(m): 4:26pm On Jul 13, 2017
cococandy:
Do I?
yes oo
Re: The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria by Martin0(m): 4:31pm On Jul 13, 2017
cococandy:
Dr. Akunyili is not my bible
aaaaaa na wa!!! Ok oooo back to family planing,like I said illiteracy stands..poverty I don't think is subjected to it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photo: Woman Buys 2 Babes For #1.9m In Lagos.. / Nigerian Couple Welcome First Child After 28 Years Of Marriage / I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.