Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:40 AM

History: Akintola Died, "Death Of A True Warrior". Guns Blazing Like Scar Face - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / History: Akintola Died, "Death Of A True Warrior". Guns Blazing Like Scar Face (3480 Views)

Mujahid Akintola Is Dead: Ishaq Akintola, MURIC Founder Loses Son / Yusuf Buhari And The Scar From Bike Accident (Photo) / Adeniyi Akintola Steps Down: I'm Sad & I Feel Cheated, But I'll Listen To Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

History: Akintola Died, "Death Of A True Warrior". Guns Blazing Like Scar Face by edoyad(m): 9:34am On Jul 10, 2017
I heard this story a long time ago but have never run into material supporting it tillnnow. It is said that when the soldiers came for Samuel Ladoke Akintola, the bad Ass cocked his gun and kept about 50 of them running for their lives like Scar face. You have to understand that was the 60s just to put it into context. I've always wondered why history leaves out such stories when the movie industry can benefit from it.
Akintolas story is in bold, contrast his case to FFK's dad grin , Kayode was forming tough guy before then. You have to hand it to Akintola, even modern day hard men would have surrendered weeping.

If the violence, the rapes, house burning, lynchings, intimidation of opposition lecturers, election rigging and all other woes that had engulfed the Western Region had a face, it was that of the 44-year-old Remilekun Fani-Kayode, a Cambridge-educated lawyer who presided over the government thugs infrastructure. From 1959, he was a pro-Zik NCNC politician before Akintola poached him in 1962 and made him the Minister of Local Government and Deputy Premier of the most advanced Region in the country. According to Nwobosi, they were surprised that Fani-Kayode’s thugs quickly ran away because it contradicted the legendary stories of Fani Power they had heard. They were rather prepared for a confrontational showdown.“Fani-Kayode! Come down you are under lawful arrest by the army” Nwobosi shouted.

He said lawful because the forged signal issued in the name of Brigadier Zakariya Maimalari stated Fani Kayode’s arrest as one of their objectives. “I am coming. I am coming; don’t shoot.” Fani-Kayode was reported to have responded from upstairs. He did not move. Nwobosi called out again. But Fani-Kayode did not move. Nwobosi then fired his gun into the ground as a warning. When their target did not bulge, they broke a glass panel in the door to gain entrance and started ransacking the house and intermittently shooting. The children were terrified and weeping. They found Fani-Kayode in his bedroom with his hands already upstretched like twin towers above his uncombed high hair.“I surrender…I surrender…I surrender…” he chanted repeatedly already drenched in fear.
[
[b]
They tied him with rifle slings in front of his wife and 3 children and tossed him in the 3 tonner. His wife picked up the phone and called the Premier,Samuel Ladoke Akintola to report the arrest. Akintola tried to calm her down and assured her that he would get him released as soon as possible. It never occurred to him the soldiers could be coming for him too until he heard the convoy and saw the headlamps. He grabbed his gun and gathered ammunition. That night of nights, of all those fell by bullets all over the country, Akintola was the only one who died the death of a true warrior. He was not interested in the Akintola-you-are-under-arrest noises he was hearing from outside. He cocked his Sub Machine Gun and began to blaze furiously as Nwobosi and his men tried to open his bedroom door.Several times from the 3 Tonner, Fani-Kayode called out to Akintola to cease firing; that the soldiers only came to take him to Lagos. Instead, Akintola continued to blaze his gun at Nwobosi’s men even though he never successfully hit anyone. They had fled the house and ducked behind the garden shrubs.

Justice Kayode Eso who was a neighbour described the relentless shooting as sounding like the crackle of rapid bush bushing. Akintola then ran out of ammo but Nwobosi and his men did not know this, they thought he was reloading and waiting for them.After a while, Aare Akintola held out a white handkerchief of surrender and proceeded to his balcony with his hands up. Nwobosi and his men proceeded to end him. When Akintola’s wife saw his lifeless body surrounded by empty casings drenched in blood, she screamed. In less than three months, she had lost her husband and first child, Modele Odunjo to the Western region crisis [/b]

http://www.opinions.ng/day-ladoke-akintola-killed/

Re: History: Akintola Died, "Death Of A True Warrior". Guns Blazing Like Scar Face by HenryWilliams(m): 12:52pm On Jul 10, 2017
Badass bravery

1 Like

Re: History: Akintola Died, "Death Of A True Warrior". Guns Blazing Like Scar Face by Babadee1900(m): 6:22pm On Mar 22, 2019
Naptu2

How true is this sir..
Re: History: Akintola Died, "Death Of A True Warrior". Guns Blazing Like Scar Face by beautyoftheLord: 8:34am On Mar 23, 2019
Interesting story! And to think that after Obasanjo Nigerians still voted in another military man for a second term smacks of no respect for those that died unnecessarily under military rule is the greatest insult ever. Nigerians truly have short memories.

2 Likes

Re: History: Akintola Died, "Death Of A True Warrior". Guns Blazing Like Scar Face by toplinetrtrend: 9:04am On Mar 23, 2019
beautyoftheLord:
Interesting story! And to think that after Obasanjo Nigerians still voted in another military man for a second term smacks of no respect for those that died unnecessarily under military rule is the greatest insult ever. Nigerians truly have short memories.

or maybe they don't have short memories, but just choose not to care, thinking histories don't mean shiiit when compared to instant financial rewards.
Re: History: Akintola Died, "Death Of A True Warrior". Guns Blazing Like Scar Face by beautyoftheLord: 2:21pm On Mar 23, 2019
toplinetrtrend:

or maybe they don't have short memories, but just choose not to care, thinking histories don't mean shiiit when compared to instant financial rewards.

My brother, its really disheartening. I agree on that too. N500 at the polling booth to sell your right for 4 full years??

1 Like

Re: History: Akintola Died, "Death Of A True Warrior". Guns Blazing Like Scar Face by Caregiver053: 10:20am On Jul 03, 2021
Why did the Igbo soldiers kill Akintola and Fani-Kayode? What were their crimes!

(1) (Reply)

They Lived Before Adam, Prehistoric Origin Of Igbo By Prof. Catherine Acholonu / Federal Lawmakers Move To Avert Workers’ Strike / Atiku Wins At Ogbomosho PU- PREMIUM TIMES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.