Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,939 members, 7,799,187 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:42 PM

Female Officer Takes Command Of Idf Artillery Corps' Drone Unit - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Female Officer Takes Command Of Idf Artillery Corps' Drone Unit (505 Views)

Iran Shoots Down US Drone Aircraft / Rockets, Torpedoes: Photos From North Korea Massive Live-fire Artillery Drills. / "Capture Yahya Jammeh Alive Or Dead": ECOWAS Issues Last Command (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Female Officer Takes Command Of Idf Artillery Corps' Drone Unit by cristianisraeli: 10:31pm On Jul 11, 2017
Lt.Col. Reut Retig Weiss becomes second woman to ever be appointed commander of a combat unit

Lt. Col. Reut Retig Weiss officially became the first woman to become battalion commander of the IDF’s Artillery Corp’s drone unit at a ceremony on Sunday and the second Israeli woman ever to be appointed commander of a combat unit.

"Almost seven years ago I was present at the founding ceremony for the unit and never in my wildest dreams did I think that one day I would command it. It's an extraordinary privilege and a tremendous mission," said Retig Weiss, who had previously served as a deputy battalion commander in the Artillery Corps.

The unit, which was established in 2010, is considered one of the artillery corps’ most prestigious special units. Teams from the unit participated in Operation Pillar of Defense as well as Operation Protective Edge, receiving a citation from the head of the Southern Command for its work during the last war with Hamas in Gaza. There has also been a significant increase of the unit’s operational activity on all borders.

“The Sky Rider unit is facing a challenging period in which it will be required to lead with all its capabilities and excel in them, to prepare for war, for training, for routine tasks and to absorb all new capabilities that will change the future of the air land space. I am sure that together we will be able to face any challenge,” Retig Weiss said.

One the drones operated by the unit, the Skylark, is considered an effective and popular drone, but there have been several crashes since it was delivered to the ground forces in 2010. The Skylark, built by Elbit Systems and operated by the artillery corps, is the IDF’s smallest drone measuring in at seven and a half feet and operates on all fronts for tactical surveillance. It can be launched by one or two soldiers and can be operated on the roof of buildings or in the back of armored personnel carriers, providing live-video to operators once airborne.

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/LtCol-Reut-Retig-Weiss-takes-command-of-IDF-Artillery-Corps-drone-unit-499269

(1) (Reply)

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Arden Has Given Birth To A Baby Girl (photos) / Transatlantic Slave Trade And Russia Participation / Lightning Strikes White House In Washington DC (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.