Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,376 members, 7,808,312 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today (39534 Views)

Wole Soyinka Battled With Prostate Cancer / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 84th Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by tamquezee(m): 2:42pm On Jul 13, 2017
Wow! HBD Prof. He's 83 and look so much like 50. If death can pardon those that has made impact in peoples lives, u are one of such people Wole. I read almost all your books while in Uni.but I must confess, I still don't understand up till this moment what u were talking about in ur book ' The Fourth Stage'. May u live long Prof.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by manfolly: 2:55pm On Jul 13, 2017
HBD my mentor
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Dicksonpal: 2:58pm On Jul 13, 2017
banmee:

Alright so, you know what your problem is? Education and exposure. Basically, in your minds because you had a poor excuse for an education, it has completely stunted your mental and psychological development. The funny thing is you will still stand up to be counted if asked if you did go to one. The second problem is exposure. You have been so imbibed into the archaic norm in Nigeria that normalcy is alien to you. What is normal is absurd in your small minds. I was a member of a fraternity in college. It was a collection of like minded students who had the same goals and ideals and we worked together to achieve it. Guess what? we never killed nor harassed anyone. In fact it was thing of pride to be part of our fraternity so much so the every male student wanted to be part of it. Now, like i said before, Soyinka thought he was dealing with human beings not knowing that in fact a huge percentage of Nigerians in Nigeria are basically bloodthirsty animals. He saw the good fraternities did in the civilized societies and thought he could bring such ideas to the animals in Nigeria. That is where he failed. Animals like yourselves don't know what is good for you. You prefer to live, eat and breed in ignorance and squalor. Hence the dilemma you find yourselves. How is it possible that what works in normal society becomes an abomination in that zoo you call a country?
God bless u
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by banmee(m): 3:09pm On Jul 13, 2017
ismokeweed:

So it's this one you have been typing since that time? Ok. Let's start. You belonged in a fraternity. There was no killing and harassment. Who cares? We're talking about the fraternities here and their origin. Your problem is myopia. Have you really run things in a Nigerian university? I see kids just try to glorify stuff and I laugh. We grew inside fraternities and schooled inside them. You're a slowpoke if you try to justify the creation of pyrates confraternity and try to claim they started a good thing and people evil 'Nigerians' spoiled it. It was never good from the start. It's this same sugar-coating bullshit that has led so many young ones down that path with vain meaningless words spewed. Captain blood can try to launder his image to ignorant peeps determined to try to wash someone's name to be spotless. But not me. In what world does one emulate fraternities like Alpha Sigma Epsilon by creating something called Pyrates? Seriously? Pirate? And those bullshit spewed about fighting for equality? The image may have been laundered to the public by withdrawal from campuses and claiming not to be a cult. But you are an idiot for implying that Nigerians spoil everything while you and soyinka are Nigerians too. Now that the rest cults have gone haywire on campuses and streets, the pyrates are claiming angels. Now I've pretended like you're sensible. Back to troll mode. Now bark for me dog.

The way your dull mind works. Smh. This is the reason that in 2060, you all will still be asking the question "why are we not moving forward as a nation? If anyone asks you about the nigerian police force for instance you'll say "It was never good from the start". Question you small mind will never ask is; how come the police force functions properly in normal countries but fails woefully in yours? The obvious and glaring reason is that you all are phucked up from the floor up. You don't know how to maintain anything good. All you know how to do is destroy. Give me one thing that you guys are known for that is good apart from jollof rice grin. Whose problem is it that you cannot function like human beings?

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jul 13, 2017
banmee:

The way your dull mind works. Smh. This is the reason that in 2060, you all will still be asking the question "why are we not moving forward as a nation? If anyone asks you about the nigerian police force for instance you'll say "It was never good from the start". Question you small mind will never ask is; how come the police force functions properly in normal countries but fails woefully in yours? The obvious and glaring reason is that you all are phucked up from the floor up. You don't know how to maintain anything good. All you know how to do is destroy. Give me one thing that you guys are known for that is good apart from jollof rice grin. Whose problem is it that you cannot function like human beings?
Bingo bark for me... bark dog...
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by StreetzHuztle: 3:31pm On Jul 13, 2017
nuattitude:

Yoha, my Typhoon-blasted and Weather-beaten Cap'n Blud of Tortuga !

I bid you many more ruff Sayles ahead until you join the fore-gone terrors of the High Seas !

Korecktion. CB na TWS. Derio! You're not welkom atos.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by banmee(m): 3:42pm On Jul 13, 2017
ismokeweed:

Lol. Just like hardcore Nigerian. When logic escapes him he begins to deflect and ramble. grin

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by olawale005(m): 3:50pm On Jul 13, 2017
ismokeweed:

well common sense are not common , I really believe you must be a total disgrace to your forefathers , read up articles of what people say when pyrate confraternity comes into existences in 1952 , read up people's comment and testimony, how is pyrate a curse to Nigeria. ? It's a non political non religion distribalised body and it's open to the public , it's aim are to fight against tribalism to mention of few , if the idea is nuture and developed in mind of every one how could we have find our self where we are now. Bros I swear you no get point ... if you don't know pyrate don't accept your application for membership if you have any character ,behaviour against there aim and objective , pyrate has discipline when you do wrong you will be sanction , pyracy is guided by rule and it's a registered association with federal government , if it were to be a curse Nigeria won't have approved almost all his ideas .... bros go back and make your research... the cultism we find our self into nowadays can't be related to what pyracy initiated ... we have our meeting in open ground not midnight nor secrecy .... they try to copy what they have no knowledge about and the result of such is what we see now... tell me how many old men can proudly tell you I belong to any confraternity except for pyrate.....

We are proud seadog
We are likesmind
We are sailors
We are the real changer that fight oppression
If you are a seadog lemmi see your hands up

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 13, 2017
banmee:

Lol. Just like hardcore Nigerian. When logic escapes him he begins to deflect and ramble. grin
Bark for me non-Nigerian sea/street dog. You gonna bark till the end.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jul 13, 2017
olawale005:
well common sense are not common , I really believe you must be a total disgrace to your forefathers , read up articles of what people say when pyrate confraternity comes into existences in 1952 , read up people's comment and testimony, how is pyrate a curse to Nigeria. ? It's a non political non religion distribalised body and it's open to the public , it's aim are to fight against tribalism to mention of few , if the idea is nuture and developed in mind of every one how could we have find our self where we are now. Bros I swear you no get point ... if you don't know pyrate don't accept your application for membership if you have any character ,behaviour against there aim and objective , pyrate has discipline when you do wrong you will be sanction , pyracy is guided by rule and it's a registered association with federal government , if it were to be a curse Nigeria won't have approved almost all his ideas .... bros go back and make your research... the cultism we find our self into nowadays can't be related to what pyracy initiated ... we have our meeting in open ground not midnight nor secrecy .... they try to copy what they have no knowledge about and the result of such is what we see now... tell me how many old men can proudly tell you I belong to any confraternity except for pyrate.....

We are proud seadog
We are likesmind
We are sailors
Hey street dog. Rewrite this shit. Illiterate dog.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 13, 2017
olawale005:

We are proud seadog
We are likesmind
We are sailors
So these are the kind of idiots pyrates accepts these days? Spits.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by olawale005(m): 3:59pm On Jul 13, 2017
ismokeweed:

Hey street dog. Rewrite this shit. Illiterate dog.
like have rightly said , common sense are not common , you lack morals
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 13, 2017
olawale005:
like have rightly said , common sense are not common , you lack morals
Ayekpe grammar school graduate. Oya sea dogs come and carry your native bingo back to his cage before he gives someone rabies of the brain.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by tk4rd: 5:07pm On Jul 13, 2017
See him when he was a toddler..

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Nickymezor(f): 5:36pm On Jul 13, 2017
tk4rd:
See him when he was a toddler..
grin grin
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by LordOfNaira: 10:23am On Jul 14, 2017
ismokeweed:

So it's this one you have been typing since that time? Ok. Let's start. You belonged in a fraternity. There was no killing and harassment. Who cares? We're talking about the fraternities here and their origin. Your problem is myopia. Have you really run things in a Nigerian university? I see kids just try to glorify stuff and I laugh. We grew inside fraternities and schooled inside them. You're a slowpoke if you try to justify the creation of pyrates confraternity and try to claim they started a good thing and people evil 'Nigerians' spoiled it. It was never good from the start. It's this same sugar-coating bullshit that has led so many young ones down that path with vain meaningless words spewed. Captain blood can try to launder his image to ignorant peeps determined to try to wash someone's name to be spotless. But not me. In what world does one emulate fraternities like Alpha Sigma Epsilon by creating something called Pyrates? Seriously? Pirate? And those bullshit spewed about fighting for equality? The image may have been laundered to the public by withdrawal from campuses and claiming not to be a cult. But you are an idiot for implying that Nigerians spoil everything while you and soyinka are Nigerians too. Now that the rest cults have gone haywire on campuses and streets, the pyrates are claiming angels. Now I've pretended like you're sensible. Back to troll mode. Now bark for me dog.

You are very ignorant, bro. Very ignorant.

I was not the one you mentioned though but I couldn't but notice your ignorance.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by LordOfNaira: 11:22am On Jul 14, 2017
ismokeweed:

With names like captain blood abi? Of course everyone will claim their intentions are perfect. Ayes have killed thousands but still go around shouting freedom fight and emancipation. See leave story. I've seen these people to the core so don't tell me what I know.

SMH... Ignorance. Ignorance!!!
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jul 14, 2017
LordOfNaira:

You are very ignorant, bro. Very ignorant.

I was not the one you mentioned though but I couldn't but notice your ignorance.
It's my lucky day. Another dirty dog has come to play the barking game. Wear robes on a dog...It's still a dog. Now bark loud for me...
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 14, 2017
LordOfNaira:

SMH... Ignorance. Ignorance!!!
Oya close your smelly mouth. You want to tell me about cults. 15 years is not play so don't tell me about nas. I'll play any game but self-deception.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by LordOfNaira: 1:08pm On Jul 14, 2017
ismokeweed:

Oya close your smelly mouth. You want to tell me about cults. 15 years is not play so don't tell me about nas. I'll play any game but self-deception.

What do you know about Captain Blood or Long John Silver?

If you were a well-read person, you would see the relationship between the name "Captain Blood" and "Pyrate Confraternity".
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 14, 2017
LordOfNaira:

What do you know about Captain Blood or Long John Silver?

If you were a well-read person, you would see the relationship between the name "Captain Blood" and "Pyrate Confraternity".
Treasure island... bla bla bla. And what does a pirate stand for? Those were the only books they read and chose to model after? I mean there are books with great great adventurers like Alan Quantermain. Why model and brand after looters, scavengers, and sea dogs? When pyrates were still fully in campuses and when Bolaji carew formed the Buccaneers, can you honestly say pyrates never fought then? A laundered image is being sold now but I tell you I can't buy it because I've been there and I think for myself. Intelligence isn't just cramming the shit they write now. Everyone trying to clean up their image and claim that back then when pyrates were in campus, all they did was preach.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by LordOfNaira: 2:16pm On Jul 14, 2017
ismokeweed:

Treasure island... bla bla bla. And what does a pirate stand for? Those were the only books they read and chose to model after? I mean there are books with great great adventurers like Alan Quantermain. Why model and brand after looters, scavengers, and sea dogs? When pyrates were still fully in campuses and when Bolaji carew formed the Buccaneers, can you honestly say pyrates never fought then? A laundered image is being sold now but I tell you I can't buy it because I've been there and I think for myself. Intelligence isn't just cramming the shit they write now. Everyone trying to clean up their image and claim that back then when pyrates were in campus, all they did was preach.

God, you actually expect me to spoonfeed you? You expect me to teach you everything for free?

Anyway, I would help you yet again. Listen, the members of Pyrate wanted to be nonconformists. Their motto was "Against All Conventions" especially against the upheld supremacy of the white race and the tribalism of fellow Nigerians. Pirates in the ordinary sense are nonconfirmists.They operate at sea under no recognized laws. The Pyrate Confraternity was modelled to represent a fight against legalized but terrible conventions same way pirates did.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Nobody: 2:02am On Jul 15, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

I on behalf of the Igbos on Nairaland
And the Indigenous People of Biafra wish the Prof a very happy birthday.

Even though we all know Chinua Achebe deserved that Nobel Prize in Literature and not you.
I still admire you.
Thanks for your literary works,
Thanks for your nonconformism
Thanks for the SeaDogs
Thanks for speaking up against oppression.

Happy birthday and many more years sir!

Did I just read a sensible comment from NwaAmaikpe??
shocked shocked shocked shocked

I must be dreaming
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Ulomoney(f): 12:14am On Jul 16, 2017
Dicksonpal:
Lool Omo Igbo be careful ooo...

grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kumalo................supreme Confraternities / The Badboy Diary / Fiction Story / Siblings.............

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.