Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle (25634 Views)

Seun Osewa Flash Fiction ( Instructions And Discussion Thread / Seun-osewa Short Stories Battle Registration Thread- Last Day / MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 3:11pm On Jul 13, 2017
This thread is the place the judges would make their numerous picks

Judges

1. Larrysun
: blogs at https://larrysunwrites./ but will be moving to his permanent site soon. He's a prolific writer whose works have distinguished him from a lot of other writers and had made him a boss in Literature writing. He had embarked on many collaborative works on Nairaland as well as outside Nairaland.

Get his books here

2. AudreyTimms
: She writes at www.Facebook.com/audreytimmss. She's one of Okadabooks 2016 25 Bestsellers of the year. Her book, Unfulfilled Promises' is still one of the 25 bestsellers of August, 2017

Get her books here

3. Repogirl Peju Amadi
: She writes at http://www.pejuscorner./ and has joined Writertain where her works would be treated like the romance Queen she is... She's also one of Okadabooks 2016 Bestsellers and her book was one of July's bestsellers.

get her books here

Prizes: Winner:#33,000

First runner up:# 25000
Second runner up: #18000
Third runner up: A #11000 card recharge card..

Sponsors:1.
www.Proofreadmybook.com
2. Anonymous

--- Sponsors needed

Organiser: [url=writertain.com]Writertain[/url]

Only the judges and moderator can drop anything here.
For next rounds, all contestants are to drop their work, comments and observation at this thread.
The instructions are also there and would be posted later

https://www.nairaland.com/3915558/seun-osewa-flash-fiction-instructions

Contestants

1. GSteve001
2. Missnande
3. OluwabuqqyYOLO
4. Heryordele94
5. Debbietiyan
6. meneski
7. McLove
8. horlahmieh
9. Kusibe77
10. AyarmBoye
11.Jazmiynne
12. expensive2
13. KimberlyWest
14. Chipappii
15. Oyindawealth
16. comelyJummy
17. skarlett
18. Trip4Jozzy
19. devilmaycry
20. Lesky3
21. illicit
22. Frankenstein
23. perrypablo
24. boffinjay
25. piroux
26. Gmike2rule
27. ToluLolu0122

Repogirl's Team
8. Missnande
15. ToluLolu0122
11. piroux
12. illicit
13. Jazmiynne
4. Meneski
First Battle
Missnande (won) vs ToluLolu0122
( Lose but stolen by Audreytimms)
piroux (Loss but stolen by Audreytimms) vs Jazmiynne
( won)
illicit (won) vs Meneski
(lost)

Team Elixir ( Audreytimm)
6. Debbietiyan
14. Heryordele94
16. kimberlywest
9. Gmike2rule
7. GSteve001
17. Mclove
First Battle
Debbietiyan (won)versus Heryordele94
(lose)
GSteve001 (won) versus Mclove
(lost but stolen by Larrysun)
Gmike2rule (lost but stolen by versus kimberlywest
(won)

Larrysun's team
1. Kusibe
3. Chipappii
2. Skarlett
5. Frankenstein
10. OluwabuqqyYOLO
19. Perrypablo

First Battle
Kusibe( lost but stolen by Repogirl) versus OluwabuqqyYOLO
( won)
Chipappi (lost but was stolen by ) versus Frankenstein
(won)
Skarlett(won) versus Perrypablo
( lost)

First Stage
Team Repogirl
Selected
1. Jazzmiynne
2. Missnande
3. illicit

Steals

Chipappi vs Kusibe77

Team Elixir ( Audreytimms)
Selected

1. Kimberlywest
2. Gsteve001
3. Debbietiyan

steals

Prioux
vs ToluLolu0122

Team Larrysun
Selected

1. OluwabuqqyYOLO
2.Skarlett
3.Frankenstein
Steals
Mclove
vs Gmike2Rule

Draw
For Twitterture

Chipappi(Lost) vs Kusibe77
(won)

Prioux (won)vs ToluLolu0122
(loss)

Mclove(loss vs Gmike2Rule
(won)

55 words Fiction

Team Repogirl
Jazzmiynne (Lost )vs missnande ( Won)
Illicit(Lost) vs Kusibe77 (won)
Team Elixir
Debbietiyan(lost) versus piroux(won)
Kimberlywest (Lost but won by reader's votes) versus GSteve001(won)
Team Larrysun
OluwabuqqyYOLO (won)vs Frankenstein( lost)
Skarlett( lost but won by votes vs Gmike2Rule (won)

50 words
Contestants
piroux(Won)
GSteve001(Lost)
Kimberlywest
(voted)
Illicit
(Won)
Missnande
(voted)
OluwabuqqyYOLO
(Lost)
Gmike2Rule
(voted)
Skarlett
(won)

25 words

Team Repogirl

Illicit
(Lost)

Missnande
( Picked)

Team Elixir

Piroux
(Picked)

Kimberlywest
(lost)

Team Larrysun

Skarlett
(voted)

Gmike2rule
(picked)

6 words

Skarlett( Winner)
Missnande ( 1st runner-up)
Gmike2rule (2nd runner-up)
Piroux- (3rd runner-up)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 3:18pm On Jul 13, 2017
Entry 1

A handwriting draft my boss wanted me to type, urgently, lay on my documents congested desk.

I wanted to check a famous online platform with my laptop, briefly, before typing his document. This website has always slip into my tight schedules; the type of ritual the creator did to endear must be potent.

I scrolled through the front page of the site. The topics alone were enough to make a man bury his meal, to say the least of the diverse comments that follows them.

I saw a strange topic: man goes unclad to protest; goat ate his only pieces of slice bread. This country is already in disarray like the top of my desk --- hungry men are turning insane. I wished things would change positively. Urgently, it should change else suicide rate scale rapidly. I clicked to enjoy the comical comments that do not disappoint.

Just look at this topic staring at me: I need your prayerness, am sick.
The comments poured and I was left in guffaw. One got me hard: guy, I pray for your healingness o.

Always, there will be something to laugh about. A minute had turned ten while I was still online, the draft on table, untouched. I was still laughing when the door busted open, I prostrated flatly. I still cherished my job, and I don’t want to be the next suicide. My boss is always strict when it comes to selecting days to be nice, thanks, today is one of them.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 3:20pm On Jul 13, 2017
Entry 2

There are events in your life that you don't think you can survive...and aren't sure you want to. Things happen that are so painful, you'd rather die of them than go on living with the agony of surviving. I know what that feels like.

I remember when I lost my younger brother in a car accident. King was a sweet and lovely child. He was just five years old when mom sent me to the market to get some groceries. King was restless that day, he wanted to accompany his big sister to the market, he made a lot of ruckus that he simply had to be allowed to go. I had just gotten my driver's licence and was eager to show off my driving skills even if it was just to my baby brother.

I still wish I can turn back the hands of time to stopping at that intersection. I still wonder if perhaps I'd gone faster before the red light, I would have avoided the wait and we wouldn't have been rammed into by the drunk driver. It was just one second in time and our small family was changed forever.
I remember what it felt like to suffer a heartache so severe I wanted to die.

Nothing short of death would relieve the pain. But the survival instinct is a miraculous thing. Even when the will to live is lost, the heart goes on beating. One takes a breath and then another. One lives on.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 9:20am On Jul 14, 2017

Chinedu bent low and rained down the thick whitish liquid from his mouth. He raised his head and his eyes was a deep shade of red. At the corner, kunle stood, having the laugh of his life at his Igbo friend as he stood there, vomiting the hell out of his life.

He thought about it again. He had stood there, staring at her beautiful deep red colored lips and had kept falling in love with them over and over again. That particular day, it was obvious that he was running late for their CDS but he couldn't help admiring the luscious lady and her red lips clad in a pink hijab.

"If you kiss me first, I will tell you the secret of my red lips," she had insisted. He had no problem with kissing those lips. He brushed his sweating palms against his NYSC wear and checked the time on his wrist watch and it was 9:15 am. He had 15 more minutes to be done with the kiss and get to his station. He brought her closer and kissed her deeply with the both of them shutting their eyes while at it. He thought her lips tasted a little bit salty.

"So tell me, what did you rub on it?" he asked after pulling away. "Salt?"
She shook her head and smiled. "Cow urine. 9 am in the morning and 9 pm at night," she replied casually.

He bent down again and went into another vomiting bout.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 11:04am On Jul 14, 2017

Unexplainable was the heat emaniating from this place.
The torment ravaged my soul,the pain was out of this world.
Was i even in the world? Or some where i don't want to believe i occupy a space in.

My God! This is hell where souls were in constant communion with torture, i could hear them scream in different tongues as i scream along.

Then i felt this pain in my whole body, pain more greater than the initial pain i felt on arrival. It was the arrival of lucifer that sent sort spasm of pain through hell realm.

"I welcome you to hell" he said to me
"this is your new realm where i shall feed from your soul"
Every word he pronounce, stings my soul. The torment was just unbearable.

"My God i can't be here,this is not where i belong" i said amidts my screaming and rolling on the hot floor of burning coals, no where seems accomodating.

"yes you belong here in hell, where the torment you recieve is little, compared to the awaiting pains my demons will offer to you. I believe you enjoyed the sex with your landlord's wife? Because it was your last."

Just then i woke up, only to behold the sight of my landlord's wife burnt body.

My God! My room was on fire and i was terrebly burnt too.
Unable to escape, i closed my eyes as a tear escaped from it. I sighd because i knew my DESTINATION.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 9:54pm On Jul 14, 2017

I jerked up to the sound of faint mutterings. Power supply was out, and outside, a raging wind howled eerily in a moonless night. I was alarmed when the mutterings returned once more with a guttural and non-human pulse. The dreadful sound was coming from the wall behind me.

A cold fear traveled down my spine when I suddenly realized my wife Susan was not in the bed with me. We were in her village for her grandmother’s burial and the room behind ours was where Anita her best friend was lodging.

What the heck was going on? I thought as I walked quietly to the bathroom and knocked.
“Susie?” I whispered, but there was no reply.
So stealthy, I unlocked the door of our room and slipped out with trepidation. I turned towards Anita’s room and found the door slightly open. My heart was thumping like a bass drum when I tiptoed to the door and peeped through it. What I saw shocked me to the marrow.

It was dark inside but I could make out a figure lying face up, hands suspended in the air and stretched towards the feet.
Then, as I rushed in, power was restored.
Right there, lying on the floor with her eyes shut was Anita. She wasn't having any supernatural encounter. Rather, she was performing a work-out exercise and the mutterings were her grunts blended with a song playing on her phone.
Her eyes slid open and found mine.
She was completely naked.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 11:17pm On Jul 14, 2017

Mom had always had the strangest ideas…”Never sit so close to the television or you’d get sucked in. Don’t sleep with your arms or legs crossed else you’d be paralyzed in the dream, Never whistle at night, you’ll never know what you’re calling forth.“

Although they all sounded silly to me and I never really paid attention to any of them, one however prickled my curiosity: “never stare at the mirror in the dark after midnight.”

So one night whilst everyone else slept, I crept into guest room and sat in front of the mirror, which was placed opposite the door. I gazed for 5, 10…15 minutes. Nothing. I remembered night was synonymous to darkness and I obviously should have turned off the light-switch. I did that and waited an extra 2 minutes. Still nothing.
Befooled, I made to get up, and that was when I vaguely saw it. White faced, bulgy eyed and dressed in flowing white.

I screamed, and it screamed back.
I thought I was going to die until it said dismissively angry, “Timi are you stupid? You scared the living daylights out of me. What are you doing here?” She turned on the light, “Please get out, I want to sleep…my room is too hot.”

I couldn’t say a word, I was yet to recover so I gestured to her face.
“It’s moju powder, how else do you think I maintain such flawless skin?”

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 11:16am On Jul 15, 2017

The Boy in Blue

The priest asked if I wanted to give a speech. I said, ‘no’. What was I supposed to say at my son’s funeral? I cradled my wife, while she wept freely. She’d become so pale recently and the best I could offer was a shoulder to cry on.

“Sir?” a kid of about Andy’s age rose and approached the priest. I never knew Andy had a friend.
“I have a speech.” He announced and began:

“The first time I met Andy, he was on a denim and blue shirt. Blue was his favourite colour. He mostly sat isolated and wouldn’t talk to anyone. To him, we were enemies, opponents that he must defeat in academics. He spent extra hours in library on Fridays mostly.

“I tried to see if I could make him loosen up a little, but he rebuffed me from the onset. He made it clear that he wanted to be alone, but the time he spent in the library crying says otherwise.

“Six days ago, after we received our report cards, he walked up to me and said, ‘Tiga, if I take this result home, he would kill me.’ I frowned. He was the second best student. How do you get killed for that? He rose without another word and chose to end his own life rather than allow anyone else. Adieu Andy, our friend.”

Tiga ran off into his mother’s open arms, while the others turned their attention to me. I killed the boy in blue.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 6:23pm On Jul 15, 2017

Laila waited in the mud building, a little restless. Hassan was late, she needed to be at Sokoto park soon and this was her final test before meeting the Sheik,why was he late? She heard footsteps approaching and quickly moved away from the light.

'Laila!' A male voice called out to her.
'Hassan! ' She stepped out, there was another man. 'What took you
so long? ' She queried
"I'm sorry, there was a change of plan"
'Laila Nazilah Amin' The other man called her'I am Sheik Omar'
"Your lordship!" Laila trembled and went on her knees.

'Like Hassan said, there's been change of plans, you are to accomplish your mission in the bus'
" But my lord the bus is much smaller than the Lagos bridge"
' I know Amin ,but there are three senior NSS agents in that bus.

We will have this country in our grip much faster with their deaths '
"I will not fail my lord" She collected the bag from Hassan "See you in Paradise Hassan"
'Allah be with you Laila' Then she left.
"I'd say a job well-done to us Agent Hassan"

Steve grinned and removed his fake beard. " The last of the Malibu cell,you're sure all
the terrorists will be in that bus?"

'Every single one of them' Hassan affirmed and spat on the ground,
'See you in Paradise my foot! Islam teaches peace, Laila and her people will rot in hell Insha Allah! '

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 2:20am On Jul 16, 2017

I was nothing in this terrible world without the anger in me. It was my blood, breath and life. If not, many would have ridden me and seen me as something they can dust off the shelve like an old, useless, worn newspaper.
I shouted back at my Father as I stormed out of his wretched house. He has no right over my life.
' Get back here', he shouted after me.
But I didn't return to the house. It was a fruitless effort, trying to make it work with my imposing family. I have weighed all of their arguments and I couldn't just accept the fact that I'm getting married to the man they love. They want me to marry Tunde, the son of my Father's rich friend. There was no way I would ever agree to do that. This is the 21st century, for crying out loud.
I knew a day like this would come. I was expecting this ridiculous act. My father was never contented with anything and my mother would never disagree. The girl child, they say, should rest in the full oars of her father's authority, then later her husband's. But, I won't be one of such.
I called Richard's line, and he met me in front of his house. We were poor but comfortable. I followed him to his one room, and we sat down to drink garri with the fried fish I bought on my way. Tomorrow, we would find good jobs.

5 Likes

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 7:04am On Jul 20, 2017

Baba was cursed—it had always manifested, as though the orange on the
sun. He had never reaped a harvest after he sowed. And he had got used to it. But grandmother had gone ahead to marry him. She said it was love—the most beautiful one; an ilk that surpassed the tears Christ shed on his cross. She said Baba's lineage never succeeded but it failed to bother her. So, on a bad day—an awful make of misfortune, she and Baba had the nuptial knot tied and he had afterwards—when the shadows had faded with the air—proceeded to plant his seed in her.
Grandmother wasn't stupid. Her son, Kure, grew old and married my mother. Then, when—like his father: Baba—he had learnt to raise his hands on my mother and had dug up a million ruins out of the soil whenever he tried, grandmother said she became skeptical. But Ohiza—the woman who bore
me—was brave and the times she thought grandmother was unsuspecting, she had gone in with Ladi - the clergyman. But grandmother wasn't stupid, I say, and a day when she caught Ladi with my mother, she fervently hoped my little, fair mother missed her cycle.
If mother missed her cycle then, I don't know but she told me she took some concoction after Kure had spurt his miserable seed in her and she
woke the following morning with a dead foetus. She claimed Grandmother had
given her the substance.

7 Likes

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 3:19pm On Jul 20, 2017

Holy infatuation

It’s a glorious Sunday service in my church, Brother Edward is leading the praise and worship and I am dancing like a fool. People are staring at me thinking, “It must be the holy spirit”. It’s a spirit all right but the spirit is not holy. The Spirit is my infatuation with the beautiful voiced brother Edward. Lordy lord, this brother was one fine son of God! His swag, dressing, stature, walk, his voice plus he was born again too.

I had planned everything in advance. Our wedding was going to be glorious, he would sing me John Legend’s ‘all of you’ at the reception. Our marriage would be enviable; he would open doors for me, bring me breakfast in bed and sing me to sleep. And our children, the girls would be pretty like me and the boys strong and sturdy like their pappy! I couldn’t wait.

We leave the church gates after service and I follow quietly behind Brother Edward, intent on discussing our future. He isn’t paying attention because he is answering a phone call,
“…………abeg jor, that woman no get shishi, I do her two times, na only 60k I see collect for her hand…… forget her mata jare, I don see one correct mama for my church last week, I dey go her place now….”
Waris this one saying? I wondered, I walked past him and turned to see the face well, chai, it was my born again Brother Edward, a gigolo! Aiye ti pari!

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 6:35pm On Jul 21, 2017

It sat at the edge of its grave like some of the others. It was raining in town but under the canopy of the trees in the yard, it was
just a sizzle.

Everywhere was silent and it was brooding like the others, no hurried movements, there was nothing else to do than spend and waste time, it was going to spend an eternity doing that like the others but it
wouldnt be like the case of the man who embezzled Government money and
got jailed for a score of years but it died in its first few years behind bars. When it died suddenly, the Government took its corpse and deposited it at the old yard. They put a big chain and padlock on its grave and it will only be unlocked when the scores of years it earned has been exhausted. Its soul had been damned to remain in Hades until
that lock is unlocked. Hell! it can not even come out to catch its breath like the others.
It shook its head, it would not allow anybody convict it even in death. Death is freedom, why so many of its kind commits suicide. Or Harakiri? Whatchamacallit.
When it was alive, it doesnt even wear watches because it makes it feel restrained like manacles. Even the minute sound from the tiniest timepiece irritated it like it was a reminder for the time it was doing living. It wondered what it was doing dead.
It was a dream. Yes indeed.

3 Likes

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 8:51am On Jul 23, 2017

The Return

He was lying!
Really, who announces his own death with a cheesy smile on his face? And to think that some minutes ago, their bodies had blended in perfect unison to the echoes of sweet pleasure.
As the night breeze whistled blowing its coldness into the small room, Jane slowly sat up puling the duvet with her. She could barely tell if the goose pimples on her skin were due to the night’s coldness or as a result of the four words reverberating her being.
“Jane, I am dying!”
Jane observed the man who lay beside her. Moonlight rays filtering into the room made his face seem silver-illuminated. Even in sleep, his lips still retained their magnetic attraction. Slightly upturned and with a small parting, he almost looked like he was smiling. She shuddered – he had smiled as he said the damning words. Now as she looked at him intently, his skin looked pale and tiny rashes all over his face stared at her mockingly – Lexis was truly sick.
Suddenly, she felt a surge of annoyance rush through her. He had spent his healthy years in the arms of another; not just any other woman, but her twin sister. How dare he return to her almost dying? No, death was too easy an escape. Lexis would have to be alive to realise the folly of deserting her for her gold-digging twin.
And in that instant, Jane made the decision that would change everything.
“You will have to live Lexis!”

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 12:51pm On Jul 25, 2017

He was in tremendous pains and wished he was anywhere other than where he was right now, remembering a joke Malato his friend had shared,” if soldier beat you, you go know say police is your friend”, he had laughed back then but it wasn’t funny right now.
Indeed he was in hell and the heartless tormentor in person of the uniformed soldier man towering in front of him, who was as tall as an iroko tree, broad chested, dark and the menacing look he carried on his face could only be rivaled by the devil himself.
Every plea Tunde made to him only seem to fuel the anger of the demon before him and he only laughed when Tunde was crying or groaning in pains. He had forgot to bring his helmet from home and had attempted to speed off when the soldier asked him to stop, in the process splashing muddy water on the soldier.
“I say make I shut up now and frog jump well well or I go wipe you koboko”, the soldier thundered raising his whip and giving him a lash of it, Tunde cried out in pains again.
After what seemed like eternity to Tunde, He released him. Tired, weak and staggering after his vociferous tussle with the devil, he mounted his bike.
Maddened with anger, he shouted at the soldier “thunder fire you”. And kick started his bike to zoom off, but alas! The bike did not start. Scared as hell, he fainted.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 6:45pm On Jul 26, 2017

RAINY NIGHT
  At twilight, the sky was as clear as crystal without any sign of rain. Suddenly, a ear-deafening and frightening thunder rumbled that one would think it was an earthquake and in split seconds, it began raining heavily, without warning, not even the forming of clouds in the sky.

As she prepared dinner, she wondered why her husband was yet to
be back, the frightening thunder had caused her baby to shrieks, after calming her down, she tried calling her husband but all to no avail.

She could not help but marvel at the awesomeness and unpredictability of nature. Her worries about her husband intensified as the rain continued lashing. Her husband's phone was still unreachable and she was getting more scared each moment.

She decided to look around the house and re-check all the windows, her baby was still playing in her walker oblivious of the
situation. On stepping her feet into the living room, she slipped and fell, water was all over the floor, it was increasing rapidly each passing moment. She tried to stand up but to no avail as she had strained her knee coupled with the slippery floor.

The loud sound of crumbling bricks jolted her back from her shock. She watched helplessly as her house collapsed before her very eyes.
    "Oh no!" she exclaimed "My baby!".

Just then, the remaining of the building came crumbling down.That was the end, she thought. She closed her eyes and waited for her own death, what a RAINY NIGHT!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 9:38pm On Jul 26, 2017

Survivor.
''Chioma, you're a survivor'' Those were the final words of my psychologist, they reverbrated in my ears as I tearily sat still.
It's been three years since we separated. Emeka used to be my Mr. Perfect, until ten years after we said ''I do''
He came home that day and I walked to him with open arms, but instead of a hug, he slapped me.

''Give me male children, useless woman'' he rasped and stormed off.
I cried bitterly that night. Was it my fault that the three times I went into the delivery room, I came out with two bundles of joy each?
Was it my fault that they were all females?
I endured the beatings for five years until the day he brought home a heavily pregnant woman and kicked my kids and I out. Unfortunately, I was a house-wife with no savings, that was when I truly understood the meaning of suffering. I cried and prayed until God sent a good samaritan my way.
A tap on my shoulder jerked me back to present ''Let's go'' my good samaritan-cum-best friend whispered.
I nodded and followed her, with a determination to help women in similar situation as mine, to convince them that they don't have to walk about with scars on their faces like me, before they take a bow
and say goodbye.

I've been stabbed, had my jaw broken and brutalized, I can't believe I
survived but I did, now I know that there's light at the end of the
tunnel, there's hope and there's freedom.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 8:58am On Jul 29, 2017

Inspite of the luxuries in his father's kingdom, Prince Ademola left for a particular village far away from home alone without his father's consent.

He has heard about the sufferings and hardships in this village he moved to and decided to look for a way to help them out.

Adapting to a new environment was a bit challenging to him. He started working as a fisherman and started relating with the people of the village. Prince Ademola was known to be a gentle fellow. Not too long after, he started making friend with the son of the Chief priest of the village. The Chief priest is known in the village as the orchestrator of evil.

Then came a particular day when the priest was meant to sacrifice his only son to the gods. The whole village gathered to watch the dastardly act being carried out. The priest's son was already tied to the tree with the executioner already prepared to behead him.

Suddenly, the prince jumped forward willing to give his life in exchange for the priest's son. In no time, the substitution was made and alas, the Prince was beheaded.

Little did the Chief priest and others know that what happened was an abomination; a royal blood which must not be shed has been shed and this neutralised and made powers of the his impotent.

Alas, it was a perfect and deliberate plan to legally release those under the bondage of the gods. What an hero!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 4:18am On Jul 30, 2017

FEELINGS CONFESSED AT LAST
  Dave was jittery as he trekked to church. He was going to rehearsal and passing the front of Davina mum's shop was unavoidable. Their physics teacher,Mr.George  had grouped them the other day and he found himself grouped with her. He wondered how he was going to work with her.
     Davina was playing with with her phone but she kept on making mistakes. She wondered why she was grouped with Dave for their C.A project. The day was Saturday and she knew it was around time Dave went to church for choir rehearsal and pass the front of her mum's shop. She had been crushing on Dave since they first met in their junior school days ,She couldn't summon the courage to confess her feelings to him. She stood up to go into the shop and saw him looking her way from afar.
      After school hours on Monday, Dave approached to chat with her and also confess his feelings to her.
      The whole school had become very scanty and they were the only students left in the S.S.2 block.
Dave: hi
Davina: hi
"Davina I have a feeling I just can't explain for you, and I would want you to be my love forever" Dave blurted out. Davina's eyes shone with excitement and she replied "yes!". Dave was excited about her response and he said "we'll make the best project ever"
"sure" Davina replied. They looked into each other's eyeball and they saw nothing but pure love in it. Then their lips locked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 10:49pm On Jul 30, 2017

MISTAKES
It was love at first sight,we met at country club in London. She was such a fine British woman. We got engaged in two months and began finalizing plans to be married in Nigeria. I got back home with her and my family rejected her.I thought they were shortsighted"who rejects a person just because of race."I didn't listen to them,we
eventually got married in a Nigerian court.My first mistake.
On our wedding day I got her a cat to compensate for my family's
absence. I can't even remember the godforsaken magazine I read about
the affinity between British women and cats. I still remember how I
looked forward to our wedding night to eat from her honeypot. How she
convinced me to remain celibate till then I can't fathom. It was
probably love.That night though she left with a fellow British girl
saying "if you want this union to last I have to go,its the British
way".I let her go,my second mistake, I let myself be threatened.
On our second night she wanted the cat she christened with us in our
bed. How could I a Nigerian man share my night of bliss with a cat
Never! "Sam's not just a cat he's my baby,come on love if daddy
doesn't want we'll go to the guest room.""Na so I allow cat tiff my
wife" I became outnumbered in my own home.
Yet help unexpectedly,the good Nigerian cat ran away after its own
kind and never came back.My wife blamed me"I can't live in the same
house with a man who can't treat a cat decently."
She followed her baby's example and moved out. It lasted only 25 days I'll be mad if I don't file for divorce. My greatest mistake though is that "I still
never got to Bleep her" Damn

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 10:52pm On Jul 30, 2017

Early morning shadows hovered in through the windows as I woke up. I checked the time in utter dismay. Oh my God it's 7:am, of all the days that I could have been late to work today was definitely not a good one.
I have a meeting by eight and if I'm late I'll definitely lose my job and I for one I'm not ready to lose my job.

I rushed into the bathroom and I was out in five minutes, why brush when I could buy TomTom. I ran out of the house like I was been chased, got into my car and onto the road. Five minutes later and my car had broken down, my village people were at it again.
I took a cab and was on my way again. All this while, my phone was ringing it was a call from James one of my stupid colleagues at work but I refused to pick his call.

A few more metres to my workplace and we found ourselves in an holdup, I couldn't wait so I got down and gave the cab man my last change. I had no money for a bike so I resorted to running with my own two legs.
I ran all the way to work gasping for breath, my phone rang again. It was James calling and I decided to pick it up this time.
"Hello, I just wanted to inform you that the meeting has been postponed until next week." he said.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by repogirl(f): 11:16am On Aug 01, 2017
Hello guys, I'd like to commend everyone who took time out to participate in this contest. You all have tried. It isn't easy trying to tell a story when one is constrained to a limited number of words.

If I had more time, I'd have given a review of all the stories submitted but sadly, I don't. I can only pick six stories that caught my attention.

Here are my picks in no particular order.

ENTRY 10
I really liked this story. It was well written and every word properly executed. I liked how you told the story without giving all the details and it takes the reader sometime to piece it all together by themself. For me, it was like putting puzzle together. The writer is a good story teller and knows this. Well done!

ENTRY 15
I liked how this story began quite innocently, progressing gradually till its fatal end. I was impressed at how you could tell the story quite well despite being limited in the nunber of words. Some typos here and there but still good. Well done.

ENTRY 11
Okay, I see you're a favorite here. Your story was entertaining, with not quite the end we expected. Your style quite simple and that's very much allowed. I would like to see what you can do next. Well done.

ENTRY 12
Okay! What the 'Stephen King/Dean Koontz' was happening in this story? It was eerie, it was abstract and even a bit confusing at times but that was settled when I went over it a few more times. I liked it because it was different and strange. The writer has a weird mind and I would like to see what other weird stories this mind can come up with. Well done.

ENTRY 13
I was more drawn to your story because of your use of words although this didn't quite make an impact on the storyline. When writing a story where you have a limited number of words to use, it is imperative that you make every single word count. You have to tell a proper story. I would have liked more depth in this story. I know you can do it, as your style is interesting. Just focus more on the story and not the setting when you have to use a little number of words to tell a story.

ENTRY 8
This was good. Even though you were word contrained, you were able to put in a twist. Next time though, it might be better you stuck with the same character from beginning till end for a really short story like this. Since you began with the character, Laila, it should have been her who found out at the last moment, that she and her terrorist friends had been set up to die. Good job though, I'd like to see what you will come up with in the next round.

Good luck in the next round, guys.

Larrysun and AudreyTimms, I've called dibs oooo, no poaching allowed! angry

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by AudreyTimms(f): 7:17pm On Aug 01, 2017
Hey everybody. Firstly, I must say it's a privilege to be here. Secondly, you all did well. Some caught my attention while others didn't but in all, I give kudos to everyone. Thirdly, I chose the following entries based on the style of writing, how I connected with the story and how much I want to read more from the writer. No hard feelings please if I didn't choose you. I'm not going to talk much here. I'll do all the talking in the mentoring room. Okay. Let's go there.

1. Entry 2

I chose this story because I loved the message it was trying to portray. One lives on no matter the pain. It could have been written better to draw more emotion from readers but with the word limitation, I say kudos. Looking forward to reading more from you.

2. Entry 6

I loved this story because it was written for the average Nigerian. I could relate with it (Nigerian mothers!). The writing style was simple and straight to the point. At first I thought it was gonna be scary but it ended on a hilarious note. Typos here and there but I believe you can do better in the next round. I also learnt a new word.

3. Entry 7 - The Boy In Blue

Hmm...I had to read this twice before I got who was actually narrating the story. It was confusing at first but I smiled in the end. Dramatic exit! Me likey. I believe with a little direction here and there, you will do a better job in the next round. 

4. Entry 10

*side eyes repogirl* Nicceeee! Beautiful concept. Reminds me of The African Child or is it Stillborn? Can't remember. You did a good job. I could literally see the various characters and scenes even though you didn't expatiate on them. And you left us hanging, salivating for more. Who really sired you? 
* brings out a sword* Stay away, LarrySun. Want some, repogirl? tongue

5. Entry 14

It wasn't written well but I just loved it. I laughed till tears fell from my eyes. I shared it with my colleagues and we all had a good laugh. It's relatable. At this juncture, I must say I'm not just looking for the strong ones. I like underdogs (Not calling you one though) Okay. Lemme stop here. We'll get to the finish line together.

6. Entry 16 - Survivor

You're a survivor. You made the cut! Okay. The story is hella cliche, I know, but I kinda loved it. I didn't particularly like the way it was written but I know you can do better. You need to learn how to put a story together (compartmentalize). You started the story with your psychologist, then ended it with your best friend. It made me wonder about some things. Was your best friend there with you in the psychologist's office or is the psychologist your best friend? It seemed like jumping from one scene straight into another. You need to also watch your use of punctuation marks. Not to worry, we are in this together. Lemme go and play 'Destiny Child's Survivor jor. cheesy

Okay. There you have it. My six BFFs for the next few weeks. grin We will meet in the other room for tutoring and pairing. Writers' luck fall on you all.

And hey, repogirl, poaching is allowed!  tongue

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by LarrySun(m): 8:10pm On Aug 01, 2017
Okay, here we go! Before anything else, let me start by saying everyone really tried. Divepen1, Repogirl, AudreyTimms and I know that writing isn't easy, no matter how few the words may be. Sometimes, the fewer the words, the tougher the plotting may be. All in all, kudos to everyone who participated. It's such a great ride. I wish I could choose more than six entries. If you are not chosen, it does not mean you are not good enough or your work is poor; it simply means that we are too biased to choose everyone, please forgive us...me especially. *Covers face*

Here are the entries I selected. These works really appeal to me. God bless the writers, they made my day.

Entry 1
The first thing that caught my attention about this work was the writing style. The writer chose his words very carefully. Secondly, the dark humour employed was quite impressive. I like good humorous works; this entry is one of the few good ones I've read. Well done, well done.

Entry 3
This is another good one. I love the surprising revelation at the end of the story. Really? Cow urine? That's not something we see everyday. The writer knows his stuff. Kudos.

Entry 7
This story cut me deep in the heart like a hot knife through butter. I can relate to the plot; the fear of seeing the disappointment in her parents' eyes if we failed could drive us into committing abominable acts. It's a good work of literature.

Entry 2
Another good work. It is one of the few I had to read all over because I couldn't seem to get enough of them. I keep picturing this tragic story in my head. It's eerie and heart-rending at the same time. Big ups to the writer.

Entry 5
I like the power of description the writer displayed in this particular word; his use of metaphor was impressive. I almost felt like I was the one who wrote that story. Great writer.

Entry 10
This one stands apart from the others. It is deep and engaging, it is almost perfect; the settings, narrative, characterisation, they all meld together to produce a unique tale of passion. I feel bad for Ohiza, but she shouldn't have cheated on her husband. sad Beautiful work! God bless the writer's mind.

Those are my six soldiers! cheesy

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 9:03pm On Aug 01, 2017
Entries
1. Kusibe 2. Skarlett 3. Chipappii 4 Meneski 5. Frankenstein 6. Debbietiyan 7. GSteve001 8. Missnande 9. Gmike2rule 10. OluwabuqqyYOLO 11. piroux 12. illicit 13. Jazmiynne 14. Heryordele94 15. ToluLolu0122 16. kimberlywest 17 Mclove 18. boffinjay 19. perrypablo 20. Lesky3

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle by Divepen1(m): 9:31pm On Aug 01, 2017
Repogirl picked

8. Missnande
10. OluwabuqqyYOLO
15. ToluLolu0122
11. piroux
12. illicit
13. Jazmiynne

Audreytimms picked
2. Skarlett
6. Debbietiyan
7. GSteve001
10. OluwabuqqyYOLO
14. Heryordele94
16. kimberlywest

Larrysun picked
1. Kusibe
3. Chipappii
7. GSteve001
2. Skarlett
5. Frankenstein
10. OluwabuqqyYOLO

At this point, these people would have to pick one of the judges that selected them. The judges have the right to lobby for them before the contestants pick. This means that the judges not chosen would have to pick other writers to fill in their 6 slots.p

The Contestants

10. OluwabuqqyYOLO--- Repogirl, Audreytimms, Larrysun

2. Skarlett- Audreytimms, Larrysun

7. Gsteve001- Audreytimms, Larrysun

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi / Honeymoon In Prison-reborn / REVENGE (an Action Thriller)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.