Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,705 members, 7,805,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:08 AM

5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! (17705 Views)

7 Frequent Braking Problems You Should Never Ignore / 40 Honda Dashboard Warning Lights And What They Mean / 5 Warning Tyre Signs You Should Not Ignore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by AutoReportNG: 5:10pm On Jul 13, 2017
If you have a car that drives you daily and you don't jump on danfo and other commercial cars, then consider yourself lucky and favored, however, If any of the above warning lights come on while you are driving, DO NOT IGNORE THEM! Immediate action may be necessary to prevent damage to your vehicle, a breakdown or an accident.

OIL PRESSURE WARNING LIGHT

The oil pressure warning light comes on if your engine has lost oil pressure or oil pressure is too low for safe engine operation. You should pull over to the side of the road, shut the engine off and check the oil level on the engine dipstick.

Possible Causes: Low oil level (due to oil consumption or leaks), oil viscosity too thin, worn oil pump, excessive engine bearing clearances or defective oil pressure sending unit.

If you engine is also making ticking, clattering or rapping noises, it is not getting sufficient oil. If you attempt to drive the engine in this condition, you will probably damage it - if it hasn't already suffered major internal damage.

TEMPERATURE WARNING LIGHT

The temperature warning light will come on if your engine is overheating. Do NOT continue driving if your engine is overheating as this can cause expensive engine damage (piston scuffing, valve stem galling, failed head gasket, cracks or distortion in cylinder head). Stop driving, pull over and shut your engine off. Open the hood and check the radiator and heater hoses, radiator and engine for coolant leaks. Note the level of the coolant in the coolant reservoir.

CAUTION: DO NOT open the coolant reservoir or radiator cap until the engine has cooled off for at least 30 minutes. Steam pressure inside the cooling system can blow out and burn you!

If the coolant level is low, add coolant (a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and clean distilled water) after the engine has cooled down.

Possible Causes: Low coolant level (due to coolant leak or bad head gasket), stuck thermostat, bad water pump, broken serpentine belt, defective radiator cooling fan, clogged or dirty radiator, exhaust restriction (plugged catalytic converter).

HINT: [/b]Turning the A/C OFF and turning the heater on HIGH may help cool down an engine that is temporarily overheating due to unusually hot weather or from towing a trailer. But if the engine is running hot because it is low on coolant, this trick probably won't help much.

[b]CHARGING SYSTEM WARNING LIGHT

The "GEN" or "ALT" warning light, or an icon of a battery will illuminate if the charging voltage in your vehicle is low. You do not have to stop immediately, but you may only have 20 to 30 minutes of driving time before your battery goes dead and your engine stops running (or even less time if you are driving at night with your headlights on).

Possible Causes: Broken or slipping serpentine belt or V-belt, bad alternator, charging control fault, or loose or corroded battery cables.

Open the hood to see if the drive belt that turns the alternator is intact and is turning the alternator while the engine is idling. If the belt is not the problem, chances are the charging system has a problem that will have to be diagnosed and repaired. Better find a repair shop soon!

BRAKE WARNING LIGHT

The Brake Warning light will come on if the parking brake has not been fully released, but it may also come on if the brake fluid level is low or there has been a loss of hydraulic pressure in one of your car's brake circuits. Loss of fluid or brake pressure means the brakes may not be able to stop your car when you step on the pedal.

Carefully apply the brakes to see if they are working. If they are, pull over to the side of the road, open the hood and check the fluid level in the brake master cylinder. If the fluid level is low, the brake system should be inspected for leaks. If there are leaks, your brake system is unsafe to drive.

If the brake pedal is low or goes to the floor, pumping the pedal may apply enough pressure to stop your car. If that fails, apply your parking brake to slow your vehicle. Also, take your foot off the gas and shift to neutral, or downshift and use engine braking to slow your vehicle if you have a manual transmission. If all that fails, aim for something soft like a bush or open field.

Possible Causes: Loss of brake fluid due to leaks (master cylinder, calipers, wheel cylinders, brake lines or hoses), failure of the pressure differential switch that activates the brake light, parking brake pedal or handle not fully releasing, defective parking brake switch.

WARNING: If the brake pedal feels soft, is low, goes to the floor, or you have to pump the pedal to get your vehicle to stop, your vehicle is unsafe to drive. You should have it towed to a repair facility for repairs.

LOW TIRE WARNING LIGHT

The Low Tire Pressure Warning Light will come on if any tire on your vehicle is 25 percent or more under-inflated. Driving on a low tire can be dangerous because it increases the risk of a tire blowout. A low tire can also cause uneven braking, uneven traction, uneven and rapid tire wear, increased rolling resistance and fuel consumption.

Find a filling station with an air pump, and check the inflation pressure in each tire with an accurate gauge (not the gauge on the pump, which is often very inaccurate!). Add air as needed to inflate your tires to the recommended pressure (see your owners manual or the tire inflation decal in the door jam or glove box). For most passenger cars, the recommended pressure is typically 32 to 34 PSI.

[b]Possible Causes: [/b]Loss of air pressure due to a leak (such as a nail or small puncture in a tire, or a bad valve stem), loss of air pressure due to seepage (1 to 2 PSI per month loss is normal for many tires), or inaccurate or failing TPMS sensor in tire.

Checking your tires regularly (at least once a month or before any long road trip) is recommended. Check the tires when they are COLD and BEFORE you drive your vehicle as driving creates friction and heats up the tires (causing an increase in air pressure).

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/07/5-warning-lights-you-should-never.html

Lalasticlala
Seun
Marpol
Ishilove
Mynd44

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by AutoReportNG: 5:12pm On Jul 13, 2017
Whats your take?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by diportivo: 7:37pm On Jul 13, 2017
my take is

we should not ignore all lights

even low washer fluid important die!!

9 Likes

Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by lekanolaolu: 4:17am On Jul 14, 2017
This is highly informative. I find them useful... Thanks OP

1 Like

Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by NLbetterchild: 7:02am On Jul 14, 2017
A good heart here should help me with 5k to pay for my faculty and departmental fee which is ending today please. After today it's going to be increased to 15k,Please Nairalanders help me
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by Oladelson(m): 7:03am On Jul 14, 2017
is okay
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by verygudbadguy(m): 7:05am On Jul 14, 2017
Informative...

Thanks OP.
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by aliyumd: 7:05am On Jul 14, 2017
Nice
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by moscobabs(m): 7:08am On Jul 14, 2017
This is informative op God safe u I though u will put Service Engine soon light
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by malele(m): 7:09am On Jul 14, 2017
Niice
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by agulion: 7:13am On Jul 14, 2017
this informative, thank you op
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by Gobhanky: 7:17am On Jul 14, 2017
Get lost
Scammer
NLbetterchild:
A good heart here should help me with 5k to pay for my faculty and departmental fee which is ending today please. After today it's going to be increased to 15k,Please Nairalanders help me

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by Houseofglam7(f): 7:17am On Jul 14, 2017
Very informative!

At least we ain't starting the day with pictures of dead people
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by pacharles1(m): 7:22am On Jul 14, 2017
@ OP, What is the probable cause of Anti-Pollution light on the dash board.
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 14, 2017
Here to read comments cx i aint got any car yet sad
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by chloedogie(m): 7:46am On Jul 14, 2017
There is a regular and common light people ignore in some products. The check engine light. I have a Toyota product that came with the light on and almost four years using it, I have not thought of running a scan on it. But if I see it on my Peugeot 407, na to park the car and find a scanner immediately. Even without the light bn on I regularly go for scanning for my Peugeot 407. Till date that Toyota has not coughed once and that Peugeot of like 2years has coughed more than 20 times without check engine light up. Mystery

3 Likes

Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by chloedogie(m): 7:48am On Jul 14, 2017
NLbetterchild:

Name of your school? And the name of both your HOD, Dean and faculty/dept officers. With their numbers. If you provide me with that boy happy u.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by chloedogie(m): 7:52am On Jul 14, 2017
pacharles1:
@ OP, What is the probable cause of Anti-Pollution light on the dash board.

Anti-pollution is related to your combustion system. Point is the combustion system comprises of a number of elements. So to avoid guess work, run a scan and it points at your issue. If not u need to start replacing one after the other. From the nozzles to the injector, to the maf sensor, to plugs to coil to the air filter etc.
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by Nobody: 7:53am On Jul 14, 2017
My Peugeot keeps writing "Depollution System Faulty". Pls what does that mean?
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by initiate: 7:57am On Jul 14, 2017
too many copy and paste from foreign sites instead of doing your own research

meanwhile we have cars running for years on our roads with all these lights on
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by jameso88(m): 8:03am On Jul 14, 2017
what about check engine light
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by GMBuhari: 8:04am On Jul 14, 2017
What of vehicle that has all the lights on due to wrong connection ?
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by NLbetterchild: 8:06am On Jul 14, 2017
chloedogie:

Name of your school? And the name of both your HOD, Dean and faculty/dept officers. With their numbers. If you provide me with that boy happy u.
Enugu state University the rest informations honestly I don't know, if you want me to send you all my verification files I'm going to do so, Help me if you can please
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by jackyraw09: 8:08am On Jul 14, 2017
NLbetterchild:

Which school dey do this? Just curious cuz it's nothing but modern daylight robbery
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by Mrtesso: 8:12am On Jul 14, 2017
initiate:
too many copy and paste from foreign sites instead of doing your own research

meanwhile we have cars running for years on our roads with all these lights on

U see, when negligence becomes a part of someone, the person tends to live a costly life, until one day...the price becomes too expensive to pay. That's usually the end.

1 Like

Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 8:16am On Jul 14, 2017
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by jaychubi: 8:18am On Jul 14, 2017
chloedogie:
There is a regular and common light people ignore in some products. The check engine light. I have a Toyota product that came with the light on and almost four years using it, I have not thought of running a scan on it. But if I see it on my Peugeot 407, na to park the car and find a scanner immediately. Even without the light bn on I regularly go for scanning for my Peugeot 407. Till date that Toyota has not coughed once and that Peugeot of like 2years has coughed more than 20 times without check engine light up. Mystery

U said it all, I actually came to see if op will list check engine light but he escaped my trap. I ve been running my Toyota with check engine light on for close to 5 years nw and it's performance n fuel consumption is OK.

More than 50% of commercial vehicles plying our roads ve check engine light on, I almost always check. Scan if it's affecting ur vehicle performance n fuel consumption sha
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 8:20am On Jul 14, 2017
AutoReportNG:
If you have a car that drives you daily and you don't jump on danfo and other commercial cars, then consider yourself lucky and favored, however, If any of the above warning lights come on while you are driving, DO NOT IGNORE THEM! Immediate action may be necessary to prevent damage to your vehicle, a breakdown or an accident.

OIL PRESSURE WARNING LIGHT

The oil pressure warning light comes on if your engine has lost oil pressure or oil pressure is too low for safe engine operation. You should pull over to the side of the road, shut the engine off and check the oil level on the engine dipstick.

Possible Causes: Low oil level (due to oil consumption or leaks), oil viscosity too thin, worn oil pump, excessive engine bearing clearances or defective oil pressure sending unit.

If you engine is also making ticking, clattering or rapping noises, it is not getting sufficient oil. If you attempt to drive the engine in this condition, you will probably damage it - if it hasn't already suffered major internal damage.

TEMPERATURE WARNING LIGHT

The temperature warning light will come on if your engine is overheating. Do NOT continue driving if your engine is overheating as this can cause expensive engine damage (piston scuffing, valve stem galling, failed head gasket, cracks or distortion in cylinder head). Stop driving, pull over and shut your engine off. Open the hood and check the radiator and heater hoses, radiator and engine for coolant leaks. Note the level of the coolant in the coolant reservoir.

CAUTION: DO NOT open the coolant reservoir or radiator cap until the engine has cooled off for at least 30 minutes. Steam pressure inside the cooling system can blow out and burn you!

If the coolant level is low, add coolant (a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and clean distilled water) after the engine has cooled down.

Possible Causes: Low coolant level (due to coolant leak or bad head gasket), stuck thermostat, bad water pump, broken serpentine belt, defective radiator cooling fan, clogged or dirty radiator, exhaust restriction (plugged catalytic converter).

HINT: [/b]Turning the A/C OFF and turning the heater on HIGH may help cool down an engine that is temporarily overheating due to unusually hot weather or from towing a trailer. But if the engine is running hot because it is low on coolant, this trick probably won't help much.

[b]CHARGING SYSTEM WARNING LIGHT

The "GEN" or "ALT" warning light, or an icon of a battery will illuminate if the charging voltage in your vehicle is low. You do not have to stop immediately, but you may only have 20 to 30 minutes of driving time before your battery goes dead and your engine stops running (or even less time if you are driving at night with your headlights on).

Possible Causes: Broken or slipping serpentine belt or V-belt, bad alternator, charging control fault, or loose or corroded battery cables.

Open the hood to see if the drive belt that turns the alternator is intact and is turning the alternator while the engine is idling. If the belt is not the problem, chances are the charging system has a problem that will have to be diagnosed and repaired. Better find a repair shop soon!

BRAKE WARNING LIGHT

The Brake Warning light will come on if the parking brake has not been fully released, but it may also come on if the brake fluid level is low or there has been a loss of hydraulic pressure in one of your car's brake circuits. Loss of fluid or brake pressure means the brakes may not be able to stop your car when you step on the pedal.

Carefully apply the brakes to see if they are working. If they are, pull over to the side of the road, open the hood and check the fluid level in the brake master cylinder. If the fluid level is low, the brake system should be inspected for leaks. If there are leaks, your brake system is unsafe to drive.

If the brake pedal is low or goes to the floor, pumping the pedal may apply enough pressure to stop your car. If that fails, apply your parking brake to slow your vehicle. Also, take your foot off the gas and shift to neutral, or downshift and use engine braking to slow your vehicle if you have a manual transmission. If all that fails, aim for something soft like a bush or open field.

Possible Causes: Loss of brake fluid due to leaks (master cylinder, calipers, wheel cylinders, brake lines or hoses), failure of the pressure differential switch that activates the brake light, parking brake pedal or handle not fully releasing, defective parking brake switch.

WARNING: If the brake pedal feels soft, is low, goes to the floor, or you have to pump the pedal to get your vehicle to stop, your vehicle is unsafe to drive. You should have it towed to a repair facility for repairs.

LOW TIRE WARNING LIGHT

The Low Tire Pressure Warning Light will come on if any tire on your vehicle is 25 percent or more under-inflated. Driving on a low tire can be dangerous because it increases the risk of a tire blowout. A low tire can also cause uneven braking, uneven traction, uneven and rapid tire wear, increased rolling resistance and fuel consumption.

Find a filling station with an air pump, and check the inflation pressure in each tire with an accurate gauge (not the gauge on the pump, which is often very inaccurate!). Add air as needed to inflate your tires to the recommended pressure (see your owners manual or the tire inflation decal in the door jam or glove box). For most passenger cars, the recommended pressure is typically 32 to 34 PSI.

[b]Possible Causes: [/b]Loss of air pressure due to a leak (such as a nail or small puncture in a tire, or a bad valve stem), loss of air pressure due to seepage (1 to 2 PSI per month loss is normal for many tires), or inaccurate or failing TPMS sensor in tire.

Checking your tires regularly (at least once a month or before any long road trip) is recommended. Check the tires when they are COLD and BEFORE you drive your vehicle as driving creates friction and heats up the tires (causing an increase in air pressure).

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/07/5-warning-lights-you-should-never.html

Lalasticlala
Seun
Marpol
Ishilove
Mynd44
I change my engine oil regularly but the oil pressure Sign still shows, please what could be the cause?
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by NLbetterchild: 8:27am On Jul 14, 2017
jackyraw09:

Which school dey do this? Just curious cuz it's nothing but modern daylight robbery
Esut bro
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by chloedogie(m): 8:32am On Jul 14, 2017
NLbetterchild:

Enugu state University the rest informations honestly I don't know, if you want me to send you all my verification files I'm going to do so, Help me if you can please

I was an undergrad student 13years ago. My college provost name was Prof Akinyemi, my Dean was Prof Taiwo, my faculty officer was Dr Edewor and my dept officer was Dr komaya. And my class rep name was deji now Engineer Deji. If I can still rmbr that then man you are not a serious person you are a fraudulent fellow.

6 Likes

Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by Talk2Bella(f): 8:42am On Jul 14, 2017
chloedogie:

I was an undergrad student 13years ago. My college provost name was Prof Akinyemi, my Dean was Prof Taiwo, my faculty officer was Dr Edewor and my dept officer was Dr komaya. And my class rep name was deji now Engineer Deji. If I can still rmbr that then man you are not a serious person you are a fraudulent fellow.

maybe he's a fresher lol

if you can pls do help him, with legit verifications of course
Re: 5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! by NLbetterchild: 8:43am On Jul 14, 2017
chloedogie:

I'm nothing but just a Fresher sir, I was admitted late February never had any encounter with our faculty dean, My name 001 name is Emmanuel Chukwuelokacould send you pictures of our newly first semester results which was released 2 days ago and also could send you all my verification files

(1) (2) (Reply)

Would You Advise Me To Get A Nissan And Which One Please? / Tax Removal: Agents Project 15% Rise In Car Import / Dangote Sinotruk Rolls Out Trucks, Targets Local, Ecowas Markets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.