Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,197 members, 7,780,339 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:46 PM

PDP Fixes October For National Convention - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP Fixes October For National Convention (13184 Views)

PDP Fixes June 23, 24 For Edo Governorship Primaries / Senator Ademola Adeleke To Be Docked 31 October For Exam Fraud / PDP Shuts Out Atiku From Voting At National Convention (leadership) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PDP Fixes October For National Convention by IllegalMoney: 7:02am On Jul 14, 2017
The embattled former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Senator Ali Modu Sheriff, has finally surrendered his struggle for the leadership of the party, even as the PDP has slated October to hold its National Convention for the election of new executives.

In Sheriff’s reaction Thursday, 24 hours after the Supreme Court judgment that nullified his chairmanship, he congratulated the lawfully recognised Chairman of the National Caretaker Committee of the party, Senator Ahmed Makarfi, for his victory.

Sheriff’s surrender came just as Makarfi said that the party would leave its doors open to all aggrieved members, including Sheriff and his group, for reconciliation.

In a short statement posted on Sheriff’s twitter handle, the former Borno State governor said: “The Supreme Court has spoken. I congratulate Senator Makarfi. We must all put our hands together to channel a new course for the PDP.
“Moving forward, we must embrace true reconciliation, so as to be united as a formidable option to send the APC packing in 2019. This is the time to build the PDP and to focus on the future, which includes reclaiming power from the APC.”

Sheriff also vacated the national secretariat of the party, which he had occupied since February after the Appeal Court judgment that recognised him as chairman.

One of his aides was sighted at the PDP secretariat at 1.30 p.m. Thursday after he had gone to Sheriff’s former office on the second floor to remove his personal belongings.

Makarfi responded by assuring Senator Sheriff and his loyalists that they would be given amnesty, and also declared that the 2019 general election will be a walkover for the PDP.

He added that Nigerians had completely lost hope when the opposition party was in crisis.
Also speaking when he met with former ministers at the party’s temporary office in Abuja, Makarfi said that some committees would be set up to resolve some outstanding issues in the South-west.

He added: “We will interact with Sheriff and some of his people. We will leave the door open. Sheriff has accepted the judgment going by what I read in the media.”

Reiterating Makarfi’s position after the meeting of the caretaker committee, the National Publicity Secretary of the party, Mr. Dayo Adeyeye, also urged party members who had defected to the APC and those in the newly formed political parties to return to the fold.

He said: “Our hands are extended to all those on the other side. We will grant general amnesty to everybody. We have declared no victor, no vanquished. We want to give them full embrace, co-operate with them. We will extend our hand of fellowship to them.”

Adeyeye, however, warned that the olive branch to Sheriff and his followers would be predicated on their abstinence from anti-party activities.

He described Sheriff as a monumental distraction who created a painful and agonising period for the party, observing that he must desist from committing further offences.

Speaking on the way forward for the party, Adeyeye said that the PDP would use the model for the Osun West Senatorial election, noting that the collaboration adopted by both sides of the divide led to PDP’s victory in the poll at the weekend.

“If we had done that in Edo and Ondo States, we would have won. Going forward, we appeal that those who have cases in courts in the states should withdraw their cases,” he said.

On PDP’s come back plan for 2019, he said: “Everybody is happy. People are happy because there is a ray of hope for them, because APC has been a disaster. When PDP had its crisis, Nigerians lost hope completely.

“Now that PDP has overcome its leadership crisis, the election in 2019 will be a walkover for PDP. The arrogance of the APC is just too much.

“We want to send a signal to APC that PDP has come together and they will see a virile opposition. We have given them a two-year holiday and they have run roughshod over Nigerians.

“We will provide a very strong opposition to APC and make Nigerians see the evils of this government.”
The party spokesman went on to appeal to those who have defected from the party to return and build the party.
“We also appeal to our members who defected to APC and also our members who moved to the new parties to return. We will do justice to all,” he said.

But irrespective of Sheriff’s mea culpa, the spokesman of his group, Hon. Bernard Mikko, had earlier said in a statement Thursday that they were shocked by the Supreme Court verdict, which sacked them from office on Wednesday.
Mikko said: “We received with shock the 12th July judgment of the Supreme Court on the leadership of Peoples Democratic Party.

“Though we still await the full written judgment of the highest court from our lawyers who will fully brief us on the details of the judgment, in the interim, we ask all members and supporters to remain steadfast in prayers for Nigeria.

“Meanwhile, we continue with our avowed demands that the party must be given back to the owners at the grassroots to always elect their party officials and those to contest elections for them at all levels. Internal democracy must be institutionalised in the party.”

Meanwhile, the National Convention of the PDP has been slated to hold in October, the national leadership of the party has announced.

Towards achieving a seamless convention, each state branch of the party has been directed to submit the names of 30 members that would serve on the convention planning committee.

The Niger State chairman of the party, Alhaji Tanko Beji, disclosed this in Minna Thursday while addressing a stakeholders’ meeting where the implication of the Supreme Court verdict was also explained.

Beji said the leadership of the party, which met at the national secretariat in Abuja on Wednesday, after the Supreme Court ruling, also took a decision on the zoning of the presidency of the country in 2019 to the Northern part of the country, while the vice-presidency would go to the south.

Beji advised all those with ambitions to seek the mandate of the people to do so, stating that the era of “no vacancy” had come to an end.

“Anyone with ambition to seek political office should go to the people, the leadership will not allow imposition of candidates,” he said.

According to Beji, each zone in the state would present 10 of the delegates allocated to Niger State and advised that each of the zones should ensure that the local government areas are represented.

He said the major focus of the party was how to hold a successful national convention and win the national elections in 2019.

“Our common enemy is the APC; we should all join hands to chase out the APC in 2019,” he said.
Referring to the arrest and arraignment of some of the leaders of the party in the state, including himself, Beji added: “We should not be afraid of arrests, we cannot all be arrested, we cannot all die one day.”

Prominent members of the PDP, among them those in the Sheriff group, attended the stakeholders’ meeting.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/07/14/sheriff-congratulates-makarfi-pdp-fixes-oct-for-natl-convention/

6 Likes

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by Goddex: 7:08am On Jul 14, 2017
This Buhari and APC govt is the worst independence

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by ubongokon(m): 7:11am On Jul 14, 2017
Do all u can but u won't see light come 2019 instead army take over

1 Like 1 Share

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by Opharhe: 7:13am On Jul 14, 2017
Good development.
Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by three: 7:39am On Jul 14, 2017
Can PDP be 'born afresh'

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by yarimo(m): 8:19am On Jul 14, 2017
ASARI Dokubo is the next national chairman of PDP grin

3 Likes

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by DoyenExchange: 8:34am On Jul 14, 2017
three:
Can PDP be 'born afresh'
Why not if not?

2 Likes

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:49am On Jul 14, 2017
Impunity, Maladministration, imposition and godfatherism brought PDP down, Kept PDP down and took PDP 6 Feet.

In my last piece I wrote that PDP (like APC) represents the interest of the political elite class and not the common man. This just proved my assertion

“We also appeal to our members who defected to APC and also our members who moved to the new parties to return. We will do justice to all,”

Meanwhile, APDA is reaching out to the common man on the street to take up the challenge and be part of history.

STRONGER TOGETHER!!!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:54am On Jul 14, 2017
yarimo:
ASARI Dokubo is the next national chairman of PDP grin
PDP online trolls who are NOT card carrying members nor known by ANYBODY in the party will come for your head soon... Trolls that can't aspire to be Ward leaders in the People Deceiving People or even WhatsApp Admin in PDP WhatsApp groups will cry blue murder over your comment. cheesy

1 Like

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 14, 2017
Multi party system is good for our democracy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by HRHBancs1: 9:06am On Jul 14, 2017
Talk like mess.
Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by yarimo(m): 11:09am On Jul 14, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

PDP online trolls who are NOT card carrying members nor known by ANYBODY in the party will come for your head soon... Trolls that can't aspire to be Ward leaders in the People Deceiving People or even WhatsApp Admin in PDP WhatsApp groups will cry blue murder over your comment. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by Danzakidakura(m): 11:51am On Jul 14, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
Impunity, Maladministration, imposition and godfatherism brought PDP down, Kept PDP down and took PDP 6 Feet.

In my last piece I wrote that PDP (like APC) represents the interest of the political elite class and not the common man. This just proved my assertion

Meanwhile, APDA is reaching out to the common man on the street to take up the challenge and be part of history.

STRONGER TOGETHER!!!
hada kai Dan jaki, you are not a good politician,you are just like an unstable water which cannot be trusted . are you in any way related to Yoruba's because I can dictate an Afonja blood in you from 7000 miles away.

4 Likes

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:31pm On Jul 14, 2017
[quote author=yarimo post=58445247][/quote] Chai

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by tuniski: 12:54pm On Jul 14, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

STRONGER TOGETHER!!!
You are alone my brother. APDA ko GAPDA ni.

10 Likes

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by hucienda: 1:00pm On Jul 14, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

STRONGER TOGETHER!!!

Hillary Clinton used that as campaign slogan last year.

We all know how that all panned out.

3 Likes

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:03pm On Jul 14, 2017
hucienda:

Hillary Clinton used that as campaign slogan last year.
We all know how that all panned out.
Thank God she isn't a Nigerian
Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by Caustics: 1:08pm On Jul 14, 2017
shocked
Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by holatin(m): 1:08pm On Jul 14, 2017
Goddex:
This Buhari and APC govt is the worst independence

wetin concern APC and buhari for PDP matter now.

let me prescribe this two medicine for you.

1) amygdalax 50 mg- it will repair the worn out tissue in the brain

2) gyrusine tablet- it will repair the shallow part of your brain.

tanx me later man cus living with a defect brain is bad

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by UnknownT: 1:09pm On Jul 14, 2017
The almighty National Convention APC is yet to convene as a party

Tonyebarcanista, hope you can see this? Na only you go soon remain for APDA, by then that position wey you dey find, you go turn from National Youth Coordinator to National Chairman grin and those in the newly formed political parties to return to the fold

3 Likes

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by KahlDrogo(m): 1:10pm On Jul 14, 2017
I heard from a very reliable source Nnamdi Kanu would be contesting for National Vice Chairman South East.

His mother would be given the juicy position of Chief Janitor, Wadata Plaza. cool

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by DONSMITH123(m): 1:11pm On Jul 14, 2017
Now that TonyeBarcanista has betrayed his party and Jumped like Kangaroo to APDA or UNDER!

Tonye, you know you are my guy. I love you (NO GAY) when you belong to the opposition bruh. But nay!!! You fall my hand brother.

YOU are just LIKE FFK.

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 14, 2017
kk
Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by EnEnPeecee: 1:14pm On Jul 14, 2017
I see PDP winning again.

They have learnt in a hard way. Besides, the worst of PDP is better than the best of APC

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by KahlDrogo(m): 1:14pm On Jul 14, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

STRONGER TOGETHER!!!

2 Likes

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by capatainrambo: 1:15pm On Jul 14, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

typical of you

very shameless

3 Likes

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by Cutezt(m): 1:17pm On Jul 14, 2017
Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by opalu: 1:17pm On Jul 14, 2017
Okay name. Meanwhile

Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by KahlDrogo(m): 1:19pm On Jul 14, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Copied for future reference. grin
Re: PDP Fixes October For National Convention by SamuelAnyawu(m): 1:23pm On Jul 14, 2017
smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Benue: Buhari Queries Police IG, Demands Full Report Of Police Operations / 'information On Buhari’s London Treatment Can’t Be Released' - Court / Osinbajo: Lifting 20 Million Nigerians Out Of Poverty In 2 Years Within Reach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.