Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,709 members, 7,802,144 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:46 AM

Which Laptop Should I Buy? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Which Laptop Should I Buy? (2789 Views)

Which Laptop Can I Buy With A 60 Thousand Naira Budget? / Which Laptop Has The Best Battery Life? / Which Laptop Product Do I Go For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Laptop Should I Buy? by elolove(m): 6:59pm On Feb 06, 2007
I am seriously thinking of getting a laptop, but am not too convesant with the make, price and durability, am hoping that someone with firsthand knowledge would advise me on what to buy.
Below is a price list a friend sent me. what do you think?

LAPTOP SYSTEM CONFIGURATION

DELL INSPIRON 1300 INTEL CELERON M380

HARDWARE
1.60 GHz/ 1MB Cache/400MHzFSB
14.1 inch WXGA Display, 256 DDR2,533MHz, 40GB Ultra-ATA Hard Drive.
DVD-RW/ CD-RW, Internal 56k Modem, Wireless FireWire1370 Internal, Wireless Network802.11b/g,54mbps.

SOFTWARE
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition services Pack 2 English.
Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0 Network Associates McAfee 7.0, Media player 10.
Music Match 10.1 Paint shop Album 6.0, Quattro pro and Presentation, Corel WordPerfect 12 plus, Microsoft Office for Windows XP. AOL.

PRICE: N 150,000.00

(1) Dell Inspiron 1300 Intel MOBIL CeNTrino Pentium M735

HARDWARE

1.70 GHz/ 2MB Cache/400MHzFSB
15.4 inch WXGA Display, 512 DDR2,533MHz, 60GB Ultra-ATA Hard Drive.
DVD-RW/ CD-RW, Internal 56k Modem, Wireless FireWire1370 Internal, Wireless Network802.11b/g,54mbps

SOFTWARE
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition services Pack 2 English.
Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0, Network Associates McAfee 7.0, Media player 10.
Music Match 10.1 Paint shop Album 6.0, Quattro pro and Presentation, Corel WordPerfect 12 plus, Microsoft Office for Windows XP. AOL.
PRICE: N 170,000.00

{3}. COMPAQ PRESARIO INTEL CELERON M 420

Hard ware:
1.6GHZ/1MB cache 1400mhz fsb
15.4 inch WXGA high- definition bright view widescreen display
512MB DDR2 SDRAM{2DIMM} up to 128mb video memory{shared},
80GB,{5400rpm}hard drive.
DVD/CD-RW combo drive,54g 802.11b/g WLAN.
Soft ware:
Microsoft windows XP home services pack .English. Copy Adobe acrobat
Reader 6.0 .MacAfee antivirus media player 10.microsoft office

PRICE: N160,000

{4} TOSHIBA SATELLITE M115 –S3094 INTEL CENTRINO
DUO
Hard ware:
1.6GHZ X 2 15.4 inch WXGA Display.80gb hard disk.
DVD Re-writeable multi recorder, fax modem,512mb
Memory RAM,2GB expansion memory.802.11b/g
Wireless network, infra red wireless.
Software:
Microsoft windows xp professional, Microsoft office 2003
Edition, MacAfee anti virus. Etc.

PRICE: N180,000

{5} DELL DIMENSION FLAT SCREEN DESKTOP

Pentium 4 system,2.3GHZ, 80GB Hard disk,512MB RAM, Network
and modem. Keyboard and mouse.17 inch flat screen monitor.

PRICE: N140,000

DELL INSPIRON 6400 MOBILE INTEL DUO CORE

Mobile Intel Duo Core 1.73 GHZ
1GB DDR Memory RAM
80 GB Hard Disk Drive
DVD Rewriter / Smart Recordable
15.4 Inch WXGA Display Screen
Wi – Fi Wireless 802 11 b/g Network
LAN Local Area Network With Mobile
Blue Tooth, Infrared.
Designed for Microsoft Windows XP & Windows Vista .
Microsoft Office Word Processing Anti Virus E.T.C
Windows Media player 10

PRICE -------------------------------------------- N 190,000.00

Payment schedule

(1) First Payment of N 20,000.00 each on delivery.
(2) Balance to be spread over 11 months.
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by kdships(m): 11:25am On Feb 08, 2007
Smart guy. lipsrsealed
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by esto(f): 2:22pm On Feb 08, 2007
hey!who's smart here the guy selling d laptop,or the guy buying?huh?this friend needs someone to advice him on a chioce and not if anyone is smart.

Anyway elolove,the laptops seems to be ok,but there prices are quite outrageous,and i want to know if they are new ones,and also if u can bit the prices(or is it a supermarket thing, just kidding)

The last one of dell 6400 with a duo core,is a good spec,but ask the guy to give u for atleast 170k.One more thing dont let them decieve u that it has media player,antivirus and co,u can get them urself when u purchase it,it shouldnt cause a hike in it.

Just be careful and dont get decieved.its even better if u get to seem them with ur eyez,so u know the stuff.

Goodluck.
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by texazzpete(m): 9:10am On Feb 11, 2007
Don't do it!!
Get a copy of Wednesday Guardian and check out lots of good eals there. try and get a core duo or core 2 duo laptop.
whatever u do, no matter how tempting, don't buy a celeron.

please post the name and address of the person daring to sell a 256MB celeron laptop for 150K so i can go beat some sense into him. the bleeping thief! angry
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by kdships(m): 10:10am On Feb 11, 2007
texazzpete:

Don't do it!!
Get a copy of Wednesday Guardian and check out lots of good eals there. try and get a core duo or core 2 duo laptop.
whatever u do, no matter how tempting, don't buy a celeron.

please post the name and address of the person daring to sell a 256MB celeron laptop for 150K so i can go beat some sense into him. the bleeping thief! angry

It is true that the price for that Celeron is extremely too expensive but you shouldn't call him a thief. There is nothing wrong in what he's doing. It is just biz. In a biz like this you don't castigate someone for selling at an exorbitant price. Do you know that in spite of what you said about the price some people would still go ahead and buy it anyway? It is only when we are in a society that the government regulates the prices of goods that you can call anyone a thief for selling at an exorbitant price.
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by Nobody: 8:45am On Feb 12, 2007
u know, b4 u go overboard, ask yourself-what do i want to do with this laptop?
4 instance, if all u will be doing is using ms office apps, you dont need that duo core
if u want to run games like fear or 3d CAD applications, them you might need an even more highend system than the ones you listed.i know a lot of pple w underutilized powerful systems. what dio u think u want to do with d laptop.also, i know a guy that may b able to provide u w cheaper prices. i bought a toshiba satelite from him a year ago
60gb hdd pntium m 1.6 ghz dvd ram, 512 ram nvidia geoforce go 6600 for 160,000.try to get as many quots as possible. most of these laptop sellers will just chop your money.
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by Cactus(m): 11:17pm On Feb 12, 2007
NEVER BUY A DELL
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by esto(f): 5:55pm On Feb 13, 2007
hey cactus!what's ur reason?
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by Cactus(m): 1:34am On Feb 14, 2007
Buy a Dell and u will find out.

Better be warned.

They promote cheap prices but the quality suck and customer service sucks. The higher end Dell systems are freaking expensive.

The cheap ones you cant even buy it for the price they advertise, you will have to reconfigure the system to meet your needs then the price will eventually become similar to othe computers
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by danderson(f): 11:09am On Feb 14, 2007
Payment schedule

(1) First Payment of N 20,000.00 each on delivery.
(2) Balance to be spread over 11 months.

Can i get a similar deal in Portharcourt for Dell 640M at 170K?
Dealer can write me on edi4total@yahoo.com

Cheers
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by 9ja4eva: 9:47pm On Feb 14, 2007
Wat of HP.Heard Acer is wack?
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by muyibaba(m): 2:17pm On Feb 15, 2007
personally i would have said wait a few months because two things will happen
1.you can now buy original windows vista laptop
2.price of windows xp loaded laptop will fall
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by PHBABE(f): 5:28pm On Feb 15, 2007
Hmm, I can honestly tell you never to buy a dell unless you have a minimum of 4 years warranty on that computer and seeing that you are in nigeria, i dont know how u would send ur comp to them 4 repairs and i dont know if they offer that service 4 those outside the states.

I have a dell laptop computer and i treat it with care but i have had to change the motherboard 4 times (thank God i have warranty for 4 yrs) plus a friend of mine has a dell just sitting in his house now, his 2 yr warranty expired and his mother board just went bad, guess how much he has to pay to fix it, about $450 dollars. so pls, i definitely dont think dell is the way to go. There is just something fragile about their mother board not to talk of other problems i have had with that my laptop.

Compaq, is ok i heard. HP also. My sister has a toshiba and she seems to have no major problems with it, but if i were you, i wud go with HP or Compaq

just my 2 cents.
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by viperman: 5:38pm On Feb 15, 2007
dude,

I have an acer aspire for sale
its higher than most stuff you've posted up there.

its RAM = 512
hard dsik = 120gb
screen = 15"
bluetooth = yes
wifi = yes
wlan = yes

has an in-built camera and webcam

light weight and is available in intelcore duo or AMD turios 64 processor

And this is selling for 135k naira only.

if you're interested call 08068097693
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by freelance(m): 6:28pm On Feb 15, 2007
Buy this one. It's very affordable

HP laptop, Nx 6325, 512mb, AMD SEMPRON, 60Gb, 1.8 GHZ, DVD/CDRW, WIRELESS

For just 160k.
Hurry while offer lasts.
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by mrmetoo(m): 6:38pm On Feb 15, 2007
Yeah dell laptops could be problematic. I was changing motherboards for people throughout last summer. It was actually amazing how many motherboards we had to change everyday. Still I don't think they're that bad. I have a dell laptop and its been working fine for me. I think its still better that Acer and brands like that. There were particular models of the dells we had to fix more than any other so I think those models were the faulty ones. I'll still recommend a dell laptop any day all brands have their problems.
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by segedoo(m): 9:04pm On Feb 15, 2007
@freelance

na wa 4 u o. read the offer just b4 urs and then read ur own and then choose.
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by natasha: 11:21pm On Feb 15, 2007
depends on what u do, what u use ur laptop for and ur budget for a laptop. I would advise u 2 go for a Toshiba, IBM or sony laptop. I've used them all and never had problems with them.
A toshiba laptop gives u utmost value for ur money.
An IBM is a rugged laptop, has a long battery life span and durable.
As for sony, buy it if u aint got nothin 2 do wit ur money cos it's the same as a toshiba as far as i'm concerned.
Check out for the f.f. specs as a minimum requirement:
Windows XP (I'd go for Windows Vista cos it's aleady in market).
1.3Ghz
256MB (Upgradable)
Pentium M, Centrino, Intel Core Duo, Intel core 2 Duo
Bluetooth enabled.
Memory card slot etc
Not more than 12 months old if buying 2nd hand
WIFI
LAN
Inbuilt Modem
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by debosky(m): 11:24pm On Feb 15, 2007
256MB in this day and age??

go for 1GB ram at the minimum, 2GB to be safe with vista!
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by natasha: 11:30pm On Feb 15, 2007
like i said depends on wat u do or need d laptop 4
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by ehie007(m): 9:04am On Feb 16, 2007
guy HP is the best for u cos of its durability and ruggedness.
there's this latest one HP 9000 cuol duo

hard disk=200GB
RAM=2GB
Processorr= i think 3GHZ
inbuilt web cam, fingertouch button controls, DVD writer, remote control and some other cool stuff.
u can even watch T.V stations with it

i heard its btw 260k-280k
grin
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by texazzpete(m): 11:23am On Feb 16, 2007
@ehie007
there's no 3ghz core duo. Even Core 2 duo doesn't get up to 3ghz.

@poster
Get a dual core system, no matter what! an intel core duo or core 2 duo preferrably.
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by nic121: 4:12pm On Feb 16, 2007
never buy a dell. i just bought a dell inspiron 630 pentium M around august 2006 and in november 11 it just packed up .that was to early for any form of repairs whatsoever anyway it has been done but i would advise anyone to go for hp cos that is much more durable and rugged
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by 9ja4eva: 3:04am On Feb 17, 2007
Heard Dell is messed up.What of Acer?
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by debosky(m): 3:05am On Feb 17, 2007
Acer is probably worse, haven't heard that much, but its cheapness makes it suspect in my own view
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by 9ja4eva: 3:15am On Feb 17, 2007
Abi oh bt dey said they are the 4th largest sha.What y'all think?
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by debosky(m): 3:17am On Feb 17, 2007
stick with toshiba, hp, sony or lenovo,

laptops are expensive, so you want to make sure you get it right the first time with no hassles, IMO
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by 9ja4eva: 3:21am On Feb 17, 2007
Well i have had my own issues with Toshiba sha.For HP i tink they are good?These deir new laptop with webcam dey fear me sef.I really will want to produce my own laptop sha cos am tired of being cheated.

What y'all think?
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by debosky(m): 3:23am On Feb 17, 2007
what will its name be> the 9ja book?

I forgot the Macs, if you can fork out the extra cash, or the panasonic toughbooks, extra durable and nice
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by 9ja4eva: 3:36am On Feb 17, 2007
debosky:

what will its name be> the Nigeria book?

I forgot the Macs, if you can fork out the extra cash, or the panasonic toughbooks, extra durable and nice

Oh really.Well nt seen any Panasonic and as for Mac i jst cant stand em u know.Well the name should be " DEMI".How does dont sound?
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by pssword: 3:00pm On Feb 17, 2007
Option 4, the Toshiba is the best option. I have been using one, the dual core 1.7mhz proc is the bomb
Re: Which Laptop Should I Buy? by nazzyon(m): 12:03am On Feb 18, 2007
Why do people complain that this product is good this is bac, this is awefully wreck.

Ever since I have been using them babies, both Desktops and Lappy's the only problem I expreience and minimal. They don't worth shouting about. I mostly fix them myself.

It depends on how it is handled. Some people enjoy putting they Lappy's on a Bedsheet and they keep comaplaining about over heating. Some drop stuffs into their keys and with that they will have it in mind that the Laptop is not good.

The only condition that makes me change laptops is if I intend to include or change some hardwares and if the damn casing cannot take it anymore.

Before I can get a laptop it will still be like 4 or 5 years from now. I am still contented with G3 upgraded.

shopforless.com has lappy's ranging from packard bell - acer

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get The Latest Cheat Codes To Ur Phone Thru Sms / SOLD❎❎❎ Core i7 Lenovo Laptop With Red Keyboard Light / 750GB Hdd / 8gb Ram / Removing VBS Redlof and Trojan.Startpage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.