Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,356 members, 7,780,962 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:25 AM

Kenya Pm: Raila Ondinga, Becomes A Football Agent? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kenya Pm: Raila Ondinga, Becomes A Football Agent? (898 Views)

Obasanjo Geared Up For A Football Match (pic) / Raila Is Boring / Even Raila Odinga Of Kenya Noticed The Arrogant Injustice Against Igbos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kenya Pm: Raila Ondinga, Becomes A Football Agent? by tunku(m): 4:58pm On Feb 03, 2010
Really? After the many senseless human lives lost to help put you in office you decide to get involve in a matter as petty as a football transfer? To cap off his blighting ignorance on football he wants Mcdonald to move to Man City rather the equally well-heeled and infinitely respected InterMilan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBXRPWkItbA
Re: Kenya Pm: Raila Ondinga, Becomes A Football Agent? by ElRazur: 5:07pm On Feb 03, 2010
I guess because of who he is, he is not allowed to do other things? No? Besides all he did was use his influence I guess to obtain a permit for a Kenyan citizen who was apparently the first or so to be in the EPL, so what is the big deal? You want him to keep quiet? Nah wah o.
Re: Kenya Pm: Raila Ondinga, Becomes A Football Agent? by tunku(m): 5:22pm On Feb 03, 2010
The big deal is that this is below him. This isn't how you spend political capital that was paid for in blood. And are you going to tell me that Inter Milan is a far less prestigious side than Man City? Not to mention that Mcdonald isn't the first nor the last player to be denied a work permit and those cases has not required the intervention of Leaders/co-Leaders of countries.
Re: Kenya Pm: Raila Ondinga, Becomes A Football Agent? by ElRazur: 5:25pm On Feb 03, 2010
tunku:

The big deal is that this is below him.

Is this your opinion? Oh if it is, then no point. Stick to it but, if you must remember, part of a leader's duty is to help the fellow citizen. In my eyes, he did well. Besides, who are you to say what is below or above him, especially when the action is completely legal?

This isn't how you spend political capital that was paid for in blood. And are you going to tell me that Inter Milan is a far less prestigious side than Man City? Not to mention that Mcdonald isn't the first nor the last player to be denied a work permit and those cases has not required the intervention of Leaders/co-Leaders of countries.

Again your opinion. The people of Kenya do not seem to have a problem with this particular action but you. Even if they do, he acted within his powers and legally.
Re: Kenya Pm: Raila Ondinga, Becomes A Football Agent? by tunku(m): 5:28pm On Feb 03, 2010
Yes and that is the problem isn't it? Help the millionaire citizen living in Italy but ignore pressing political reform that will prevent another bloodshed when Kenyans go to the poll. I look forward to bumping this thread when the inevitable will happen when Kenyans go to the poll. The funny thing is that Mcdonald is a midfielder, a position that city has no problem in fielding many would be first team players for many clubs in. This is a waste of time as proven by its utter failure, but rather than having the good sense to keep his mouth shut he crows about wasting 3 hours talking to the likes of Gordon Brown about getting a work permit for one guy that didn't need the favor in the first place.
Re: Kenya Pm: Raila Ondinga, Becomes A Football Agent? by ElRazur: 5:39pm On Feb 03, 2010
Oh give me a break. The guy in question is a big football star back home. Nothing wrong with him [president] offering a helping hand. President/Head of state/Prime ministers all across the world are known to intervene when their citizen's interest are concerned. So what is your problem? Will you be happy he didnt act at all? Also you seem to have a problem with his choice of club. . . What a joke.

Below is the story as reported in the UK press, no one seem to be complaining.

Kenya PM Minister Raila Odinga had tried to secure his country's star McDonald Mariga a £7million move to Manchester City by phoning Gordon Brown.

Midfielder Mariga, 20, was refused a work permit by a panel that included David Pleat and Dave Bassett and Inter Milan stepped in with a four-year deal.

Jose Mourinho said: 'He's a purchase for today and tomorrow but he can also fill the hole left by Patrick Vieira.'

The £7million move City had been all but agreed, but the Kenya international's difficulty in securing a work permit put pay to the deal.

The 6ft 2in marauding midfielder would have provided a combative force at the heart of Roberto Mancini's midfield.

And here is a comment from one John, Macclesfield who thinks the UK govt is wrong not to give him a work permit:

I'm sure I read that there are no controls over immigration to this country, and that it suits the government to let everybody in because they hate the British etc. Yet this guy is denied a work permit.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1248122/Please-allow-McDonald-Mariga-join-Manchester-City-Kenya-PM-Ralia-Odinga-phoned-Gordon-Brown-deadline-day.html#ixzz0eUXzfOg2

And another one:

David Pleat didn't know where Mali was a few years ago when Freddie Kanouté wanted to play in the Africa Cup of Nations - having someone as ignorant as him on the panel can't have helped Maringa, and no doubt Inter have picked up a brilliant player and an English club will be paying five times the amount in three years.

- Algieelgie, Melbourne - Australia, 03/2/2010 09:13

So there you have it. What is your problem really?
Re: Kenya Pm: Raila Ondinga, Becomes A Football Agent? by ElRazur: 5:43pm On Feb 03, 2010
By the way, the newspaper I cited above are known for their perceived hatred of immigrant, yet they ain't even showing that. Clearly, it shows they see nothing wrong with the events.
Re: Kenya Pm: Raila Ondinga, Becomes A Football Agent? by tunku(m): 5:52pm On Feb 03, 2010
My point of contention wasn't the club but rather that Odinga felt the need to interject himself into the matter. Mcdonald would still be a big star regardless of whether he went to city, stayed with Parma, or join Inter. That isn't the problem, the problem and quite simple one at that is that Odinga is doing the job better suited for a sports minister or even Kenya's foreign service department. I don't care what pundits and commentators had to say about the merit of granting or denying Mcdonald a working permit in the U.k. that isn't the issue, again it is whether a Prime Minister should have stepped in the first place. Remind me again how Kenya did in the ACON or which group they are in, in the world cup? Oh I forgot that one man does not a team make. Apparently so did Odinga. I am not in anyway denying that this guy is a big star in Kenya, but that in no way excuses a prime minister to intervene and haplessly so I might add in this matter.
Re: Kenya Pm: Raila Ondinga, Becomes A Football Agent? by ElRazur: 6:04pm On Feb 03, 2010
That is irrelevant. A President will carry more weight when it comes to lobbying or acting on behalf of a citizen than any sports minister or commissioner. So therefore, there is nothing wrong, I repeat, nothing wrong with what he did. He did what any leader will do - I.e Help a fellow citizen.

(1) (Reply)

Pay-for-play: Senators Want N16 Million (each), For Each New Minister / Sanusi The Islamist Central Bank Governor / Gov Orji Dumps Apga For Pdp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.