Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,810 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' - Health (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' (76461 Views)

Ghanaian Nurse Helps A Pregnant Woman Give Birth On The Road (Photos) / 44-Year-Old Woman Dies With Her Twins After Refusing To Give Birth Through CS / Possibility Of AA+AS Genotype Parent Give Birth To SS - Exper Opinion Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by joyandfaith: 5:42pm On Jul 18, 2017
I appeal to moderator to change the topic to"Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To Child with Sickle Cell Disorders

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by nelszx: 5:49am On Jul 19, 2017
practicalclass:
A+ mother marrying O+ father giving birth to A- child is possible if one of the parent is heterozygote or both are i.e Rh+Rh- in one of the parent or both parents.

Quite true
Rh + = Rh +/+
Rh + = Rh +/-
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by joyandfaith: 6:06am On Jul 19, 2017
nelszx:

Not possible
Here's the analysis of the possible phenotypes to the different Rhesus group;

Rh + = Rh +/+

Rh - = Rh -/-
Rh - = Rh -/+

Only Rh - can give out both negative or positive in an heterozygous state.
I think you miss it. Rhesus positive could be DD or Dd. Rhesus negative is dd. if parents are Dd and Dd which both are Rhesus positives. Using mendelian law of inheritance,possible outcome are DD,Dd,Dd,dd.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by nelszx: 6:19am On Jul 19, 2017
joyandfaith:

I think you miss it. Rhesus positive could be DD or Dd. Rhesus negative is dd. if parents are Dd and Dd which both are Rhesus positives. Using mendelian law of inheritance,possible outcome are DD,Dd,Dd,dd.
That I have corrected
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by godwon01(m): 10:50am On Dec 23, 2017
AA and AS can not produce SS. unless AS and SS.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by ChelseaDr(m): 10:23am On Jan 06, 2018
naijaking1:

If the glutamic acid mutates to valine, we have Beta-s, or HbS.
Mutation to lysine gives rise to thalassamia

With due respect, this is actually wrong. Beta-S is not the same as HbS. Again point mutation of glutamic acid to lysine does not result in thalasaemia but HbC.

Mutation of glutamic acid to valine leads to HbS.

Normal Haemoglobin has both 2-alpha and 2-beta chains. During production of haemoglobin, if there is deficiency in any of these chains such that it is no longer complete, it results to thalasaemia, which could be alpha or beta thalasaemia depending on which chain is deficient.

This defective gene CANNOT be detected through electrophoresis but by quantitative analysis.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by ChelseaDr(m): 10:36am On Jan 06, 2018

grin shocked grin

Hb SC is a variant of Hb SS but they are both sickle cell anaemia.

Your brother can only marry someone who is Hb AA in other to have healthy offsprings.

Marrying someone who is AS, AC, SS, SC is a big No.

Cases of SC are treated same well as SS.

Cheers!

Just for correction Bro, HbSC and HbSS are not the same as sickle cell anaemia, but they are both forms of sickle cell disease.

It is only HbSS that is called sickle cell anemia.

Sickle cell disease is the presence of an abnormal Hb and HbS. Examples HbSC, HbSS, HbS-βthalasaemia, etc.

HbAC and HbAS are not forms of sickle cell disease because they both contain a normal haemoglobin, HbA.

I hope I have made some little sense.
I'm sure it was a typo error, just correct it Sir.
Cheers!!
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by ChelseaDr(m): 10:47am On Jan 06, 2018
sainty2k3:

You understand nothing about that study , so if the prevalence wasn't rare in 2009, u think it would be rare In 2017. , like I responded to a post by more intellectual fellow, there are researches ongoing which I'm aware of, centered on findind the prevalence of thalassemia using molecular studies, till its published we'll rely on the current knowledge and great contributions from the author of that articlw I quoted earlier.
So do I need to also clarify for you that beta thalassemia trait is the same as A-beta thalassemia which was the main subject of discuss in my post as it is mostly misdiagnosed as AA on our conventional HB electrophoresis

And yes you are disgracing our profession by ignoring a constructive way of argument to be using abusive words and insults, that's not a conduct expected from someone you claimed to be (that's if you are really who you claim to be)

I think the point you made here is clearer, the main thing is MISDIAGNOSIS not that it was confirmed by quantitative assay, from this premise therefore, it is impossible for a confirmed AA and AS to give birth to SS, except it was a case of wrong diagnosis.
Cheers!

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Proper Way To Use Face-Shield & Face-Mask - Federal Ministry Of Health / Lockdown: Ogun Conducts Online Poll On Whether Lockdown Should Continue / Pictures Of Aba After Lockdown Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.