Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (389077 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by error4040: 9:10pm On Jan 01, 2018
MackyNaija:
I had a nice time through out my stay in Oklahoma, two of my friends live very close to each other with plenty money - welcome to the real oil and gas work smiley, not the nAnsense they pay in port harcourt. angry

Omo, I jam one food like that - they call it Ayamase or Designer stew - I can sell my birthright for it! cry
How come I had never encountered it? The thing sweet, there are tutorials on YouTube on how to prepare it.

The temperature was unkind - hovered between 17*F to 25*F - going outside was a torture and these guys have to work outside for extended hours...
If you like money, go to Oklahoma to search for oil and gas work they are still recruiting - have a work permit is basically the requirement, limited or no work experience is okay, entry level positions are available. Make cold no kee you before the first pay check arrives.

The weather wasnt improving so I had to leave before I get stuck there, if the roads become filled with snow and slippery, bye bye to my education be that.

So I packed up, said my good byes and left on Sunday the 31st.
Oklahoma City to Kingsville - about !5 miles of road and 9 hours of driving.
all this Gist no pictures

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Toppytek(m): 10:04pm On Jan 01, 2018
orbis:
Hey Macky, did your guys do any US based courses before they got the oil and gas jobs in Oklahoma

your blood dey hot oo.. lol.. no be only you Sha... na my own dey hot pass
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 1:54am On Jan 02, 2018
orbis:
Hey Macky, did your guys do any US based courses before they got the oil and gas jobs in Oklahoma
Nope,
one works as an Operator (Fracking) - entry level position. Had a little exposure to Nigerian OnG, has a bachelors (naija) and masters (uk) in petroleum engineering.
He was simply taken because he indicated his interest to work and had the permit to work (permanent resident).

Second, works as an Engineer (drilling) - somewhat an entry level position though he has naija experience and USA certification in the role he applied to.
He has naija bachelors and uk masters in petroleum. These didn't come into play 'much' but bachelors I think is required for an engineer position.
Most especially he has a work permit (permanent resident) and looked like someone that truly wants to work.

The pay is like half what it was few years ago but e still plenty. kiss

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 1:58am On Jan 02, 2018
They both attended recruitment career fairs at different times this year (2017) - months apart - and were hired on the spot.

Same day hiring alongside several other Americans with no experience but who showed eagerness to work.

Work permit is highly needed (permanent residency).
Work deh, you get paper? cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 1:59am On Jan 02, 2018
error4040:
all this Gist no pictures
Baba, weather too cold.

The only times I stepped outside was to quickly rush into a car to go somewhere. cheesy

I have some anyhow pictures, it was mostly cloudy so it is of poor quality ...
Will upload them, manage it.

1. Water and biscuit to celebrate my 4.00 GPA.
2. Somewhere in Houston behind my accommodation.

10 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:13am On Jan 02, 2018
1. I love their 4lane roads.. Unofficially 90mph, kil yourself.

2 n 3. Had to get a spare key for my guys apartment. Duplicate your key at Walmart, self service. $4 a key, takes less than 5 minutes.

10 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:17am On Jan 02, 2018
1. Behind one of the Okla City apartments, who goes swimming in sub zero temperatures?

2. In front, manage the picture. Cold no allow me capture better thing.

7 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:22am On Jan 02, 2018
Chinese shop to buy cat fish - they are up to 3foot long.

I think the only sea creature I didn't see here is a whale and an octopus.

Saw small sharks, up to 3 feet in length. Big live lobsters and live shrimps.

Oyster and clams very available. They had different types of pork, we also bought cow tongue, he wanted to do more assorted but I don't eat those (e deh fear me).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by orbis(m): 5:08am On Jan 02, 2018
MackyNaija:

Nope,
one works as an Operator (Fracking) - entry level position. Had a little exposure to Nigerian OnG, has a bachelors (naija) and masters (uk) in petroleum engineering.
He was simply taken because he indicated his interest to work and had the permit to work (permanent resident).

Second, works as an Engineer (drilling) - somewhat an entry level position though he has naija experience and USA certification in the role he applied to.
He has naija bachelors and uk masters in petroleum. These didn't come into play 'much' but bachelors I think is required for an engineer position.
Most especially he has a work permit (permanent resident) and looked like someone that truly wants to work.

The pay is like half what it was few years ago but e still plenty. kiss

My brother, the truth is that they both had UK certificates which the US guys take as genuine. Its pretty nerve wrecking getting a good OnG job in the US if all you got are African degrees. Its either a bit of European degree or even a certificate course in the US.
Lol, everyhody de willing to work na but e get some levels wey those guys de look...
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:31am On Jan 02, 2018
orbis:

My brother, the truth is that they both had UK certificates which the US guys take as genuine. Its pretty nerve wrecking getting a good OnG job in the US if all you got are African degrees. Its either a bit of European degree or even a certificate course in the US.
Lol, everyhody de willing to work na but e get some levels wey those guys de look...

The operator role doesn't require a certificate, na 'technician' role.
Leaving for masters was/is a way to ja out of naija. As I said, work permit is the most relevant thing.

I cannot say if the foreign degrees gave them levels since most Nigerians have a masters degree.
The work doesn't require such heavy certificates, no be research work or management role.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Afam4eva(m): 7:33am On Jan 02, 2018
MackyNaija:

Baba, weather too cold.

The only times I stepped outside was to quickly rush into a car to go somewhere. cheesy
I thought it doesn't snow in Texas.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Fish123(m): 9:17am On Jan 02, 2018
Nah Oklahoma him dey bro
Afam4eva:
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Satansadvocate(m): 9:30am On Jan 02, 2018
All these chinese.

They are the Nigerians of asia. They are everywhere. Them the labanese and the indians. Even here in naija dey boku. Saw many of them in jos. Logded one day at one of their hotels at jos,the chinese man was at the reception monitoring,he did not want to hear story say money loss or miss road.

They are even selling shark,SHARK!!!

I thought shark is an endangered specie.

Mackynaija you finish work for those your grades. Naija no dey carry last. Well done sir.

Happy new year guy

ehhn before i forget,i know say you dey kpansh so to vow for that side but you no wan yan us per say you wan form holy boy. You think say i no know say all those akata's toto done see pepper for your hand. You done tear,cancel,biscet pra pra pro pro tire.

Happy new year once again.

All work and no kpansh makes jack a dull boy

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by error4040: 2:35pm On Jan 02, 2018
MackyNaija:

Baba, weather too cold.

I have some anyhow pictures, it was mostly cloudy so it is of poor quality ...
Will upload them, manage it.

1. Water and biscuit to celebrate my 4.00 GPA.
2. Somewhere in Houston behind my accommodation.

Lol bro it seems you and biscuit with water na 5&6 grin you once posted biscuit and water.
Nice GPA by the way, show them say the Africa they think is filled with Caves and Rocks won't stop us from been A+ Students.

Happy new year

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by error4040: 2:45pm On Jan 02, 2018
Satansadvocate:
All these chinese.

They are the Nigerians of asia. They are everywhere. Them the labanese and the indians. Even here in naija dey boku. Saw many of them in jos. Logded one day at one of their hotels at jos,the chinese man was at the reception monitoring,he did not want to hear story say money loss or miss road.

They are even selling shark,SHARK!!!

I thought shark is an endangered specie.

Mackynaija you finish work for those your grades. Naija no dey carry last. Well done sir.

!Happy new year guy

!
ehhn before i forget,i know say you dey kpansh so to vow for that side but you no wan yan us per say you wan form holy boy. You think say i no know say all those akata's toto done see pepper for your hand. You done tear,cancel,biscet pra pra pro pro tire.

The Bolded tho grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Satansadvocate(m): 3:30pm On Jan 02, 2018
error4040:

The Bolded tho grin grin grin

brother just imagine,shark, bros SHARK. As in shark. I cannot understand till now. As in SHARK be like salt for chinese people. SHARK!,blood of jesus. Those chinese people too much.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Alphaman007: 8:08pm On Jan 02, 2018
MackyNaija:

This i not my area of specialty but some people have discussed something similar to this a few pages back.
okay bto.. Thanks
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:47am On Jan 03, 2018
Afam4eva:

Fish123:
Nah Oklahoma him dey bro

It doesn't but did last month and now it is very obvious climate change is real.
Current temperature is 32*F which is 0*C, deep freezer and here, no difference.

error4040:
Lol bro it seems you and biscuit with water na 5&6 grin you once posted biscuit and water.
Nice GPA by the way, show them say the Africa they think is filled with Caves and Rocks won't stop us from been A+ Students.
Happy new year
No be who don chop belleful deh throw party? cheesy Manage the biscuit.
Thanks and happy new year to you too. smiley

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:50am On Jan 03, 2018
Satansadvocate:
No too worry yourself, go collect visa use am come over.

When you arrive, begin hunt down all the girls for USA. cheesy

Make I go sleep, I say make I come see wetin deh happen here.

9 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Satansadvocate(m): 9:44am On Jan 03, 2018
MackyNaija:

No too worry yourself, go collect visa use am come over.

When you arrive, begin hunt down all the girls for USA. cheesy

Make I go sleep, I say make I come see wetin deh happen here.

this your sleep is even suspicious wink

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by TheManOfTheYear: 4:37pm On Jan 05, 2018
PDPGuy:
Keep up with the hard work. It will surely pay off in the end.

Meanwhile, here's a bit of trivia: Stanford, with an undergrad acceptance rate of only 4.65%, is the most selective university in America.
For the 2017/18 academic year, just 2,050 students were granted admission from a pool of over 44,000 applicants. That means 95% of applicants were rejected shocked
lol.. that's even better. MIT does not even accept up to 500 students..
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by rinzaugustine: 12:52am On Jan 06, 2018
MackyNaija:
I had a nice time through out my stay in Oklahoma, two of my friends live very close to each other with plenty money - welcome to the real oil and gas work smiley, not the nAnsense they pay in port harcourt. angry

Omo, I jam one food like that - they call it Ayamase or Designer stew - I can sell my birthright for it! cry
How come I had never encountered it? The thing sweet, there are tutorials on YouTube on how to prepare it.

The temperature was unkind - hovered between 17*F to 25*F - going outside was a torture and these guys have to work outside for extended hours...
If you like money, go to Oklahoma to search for oil and gas work they are still recruiting - have a work permit is basically the requirement, limited or no work experience is okay, entry level positions are available. Make cold no kee you before the first pay check arrives.

The weather wasnt improving so I had to leave before I get stuck there, if the roads become filled with snow and slippery, bye bye to my education be that.

So I packed up, said my good byes and left on Sunday the 31st.
Oklahoma City to Kingsville - about 625 miles of road and 9 hours of driving.
Hello bros,how much do they pay per hour for entry level.If its good i can relocate to oklahoma cos its less than 2 hours flight from my state

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 1:16am On Jan 06, 2018
rinzaugustine:
Hello bros,how much do they pay per hour for entry level.If its good i can relocate to oklahoma cos its less than 2 hours flight from my state

The contracts are different for every individual so is the pay..

There is one of being hired by a third party and you work for the service company OR the service company hires you directly.

Option 1 is a little above minimum wage and they calculate your payment on a 24hours basis. They reimburse for your miles to work.
Option 2 is more than double that plus the perks attached to being a direct employee.

An advert should be somewhere online because I heard the recruitment ad twice on the car stereo while there.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 1:21am On Jan 06, 2018
rinzaugustine:
I just did a search -

https://www.google.com/search?q=halliburton+el+reno+ok+jobs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab&ibp=htl;jobs&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwic1rXth8LYAhVFSSYKHeubBkcQiYsCCEUoAQ#fpstate=tldetail&htidocid=WwwmlJL0_zwn2XDQAAAAAA%3D%3D&htivrt=jobs

I remember one told me he had to fly down to Dallas, rent a car and drive down to Reno for the interview, drive back to Dallas airport and head back to his base all in one day. This was about a year ago.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by rinzaugustine: 3:20am On Jan 06, 2018
MackyNaija:

I just did a search -

https://www.google.com/search?q=halliburton+el+reno+ok+jobs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab&ibp=htl;jobs&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwic1rXth8LYAhVFSSYKHeubBkcQiYsCCEUoAQ#fpstate=tldetail&htidocid=WwwmlJL0_zwn2XDQAAAAAA%3D%3D&htivrt=jobs

I remember one told me he had to fly down to Dallas, rent a car and drive down to Reno for the interview, drive back to Dallas airport and head back to his base all in one day. This was about a year ago.
Okay bro thanks
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by SkinnyNigga: 6:35am On Jan 06, 2018
I like Texas so much. If I get the opportunity tomorrow to live USA. Texas is my stop. Cheap . Good weather
doesn't snow like mad

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:11am On Jan 06, 2018
rinzaugustine:
Okay bro thanks
You are welcome.

SkinnyNigga:
I like Texas so much. If I get the opportunity tomorrow to live USA. Texas is my stop. Cheap . Good weather
doesn't snow like mad
Truthfully, it doesn't snow crazily here but we hade it tough for the first 3 days in January - temperature hovered around 30*F.

The 4th was better, rose up to the 50's during the day and fell to 40+ at night.

The 5th was around 60+*F during the day, I'll be sleeping at around 50*F tonight.

Better than everywhere else I know of here.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by SkinnyNigga: 7:17am On Jan 06, 2018
MackyNaija:

You are welcome.

Truthfully, it doesn't snow crazily here but we hade it tough for the first 3 days in January - temperature hovered around 30*F.

The 4th was better, rose up to the 50's during the day and fell to 40+ at night.

The 5th was around 60+*F during the day, I'll be sleeping at around 50*F tonight.

Better than everywhere else I know of here.
ya. Texas all the way. Don't know why people troop to New York. Spending ludicrous amount on rent.. Living like rats.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:53am On Jan 06, 2018
SkinnyNigga:
ya. Texas all the way. Don't know why people troop to New York. Spending ludicrous amount on rent.. Living like rats.
The prices I hear are outrageous! My semester school fee for just rent. cry

A friend went for his holidays there, he would return with some stories.

Another one is in California, lemme hear first hand how the cities are.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by SkinnyNigga: 9:19am On Jan 06, 2018
MackyNaija:

The prices I hear are outrageous! My semester school fee for just rent. cry

A friend went for his holidays there, he would return with some stories.

Another one is in California, lemme hear first hand how the cities are.
haha. Cali. No go there. It's for celebrities.. L.A. things

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by signature2012(m): 1:27pm On Jan 06, 2018
SkinnyNigga:

I live and work in New York comfortably.

6 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by KELVIN086: 5:14pm On Jan 06, 2018
MackyNaija:
Wetin my eyes deh find, it finally saw it... grin

I like road trip, I like road trip - yankee road trips are on a different level. shocked

Lagos to Abuja - 484 miles.
Lagos to Kaduna - 573 miles.
Oklahoma City to Kingsville - 622 miles.

I did the last distance the whole of yesterday.
Guy you dey try sha, wet in be your motivation to make that kind trip to and fro.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.