Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:06 PM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (389121 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Yanumo(m): 1:16am On May 13, 2018
MackyNaija:

Your US driving experience begins to count from the day you get a Yankee license.

Insurance companies take this into consideration when giving you a quote.

Thanks bro. Appreciate!
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by RexCheeng: 9:57am On May 14, 2018
MackyNaija:

grin No pictures though I can get some but I don't know how people will react to their faces being shown here.

I was the MC for the ceremony. cool

A lot has been happening here, I do a lot of volunteer activities in school - a shift from the usual class to greoceris and back home.

Oga Macky! You being the mc of an event means you must've mastered the art of speaking through your nose.
Please how did you cope with the accent and all. Even though I got a decent speaking score in TOEFL, I found out that whenever I call grad cords, they don't find me audible enough.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:53pm On May 14, 2018
RexCheeng:

Oga Macky! You being the mc of an event means you must've mastered the art of speaking through your nose.
Please how did you cope with the accent and all. Even though I got a decent speaking score in TOEFL, I found out that whenever I call grad cords, they don't find me audible enough.

I naturally do not have 'an accent acquired through any Nigerian language', I deh try even though I no be ajebo.
I have remained normal, I don't get conscious of being 'too correct', I speak in clear English, ensure my tenses and grammar are correct and don't apply phonetics - maybe in 5 to 10 years time something might change. cheesy
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Yanumo(m): 8:27pm On May 14, 2018
MackyNaija there are some questions I'm gonna throw at you and please I want you to answer yo the best of your knowledge.

- After coming in with my F1 then I don't go to school for the first semester, and I go looking for a job what are the possibilities of me getting a job?

- Or I go to school get my Student ID and I stop going to for that semester to work and head to school the following semester, what are the precautions?

- Is it mandatory to contact USCIS before I can work outside my school jurisdiction?

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Dremca(m): 10:01pm On May 14, 2018
You will get the best answer from US student thread. [url][https://www.nairaland.com/4225931/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part/262#4225931.8387[/url]
Yanumo:
MackyNaija there are some questions I'm gonna throw at you and please I want you to answer yo the best of your knowledge.

- After coming in with my F1 then I don't go to school for the first semester, and I go looking for a job what are the possibilities of me getting a job?

- Or I go to school get my Student ID and I stop going to for that semester to work and head to school the following semester, what are the precautions?

- Is it mandatory to contact USCIS before I can work outside my school jurisdiction?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Yanumo(m): 10:26pm On May 14, 2018
Dremca:
You will get the best answer from US student thread. [url][https://www.nairaland.com/4225931/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part/262#4225931.8387[/url]

I'll prefer MackyNaija or anyone who's also schooling in the US.
I believe opportunities shouldn't be misused and they should used wisely without causing harm to yourself or anyone?

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:57am On May 15, 2018

Sorry, I don't understand what you are talking about. grin grin grin

I still don't understand what you are talking about. grin grin grin

The F1 visa terms state that you will come into the US, go to school and do only on-campus jobs.
If you apply for work authorization based on 'economic hardship' and present strong evidence, you can be approved and can legally work off-campus. cheesy You should have spent 2 semesters and have been in active student status.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:59am On May 15, 2018
Dremca:
After I don suffer, spend plenty money, drink enough garri manage complete 2 semesters, Una guy wan send me go jail. grin

5 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Dremca(m): 12:32pm On May 15, 2018
Lol, my brother jump and pass. They no go see you.
MackyNaija:

After I don suffer, spend plenty money, drink enough garri manage complete 2 semesters, Una guy wan send me go jail. grin
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Yanumo(m): 9:42pm On May 15, 2018
MackyNaija:

LOL not so bro. just wanted to clarify some things for a friend. No vex
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Dremca(m): 10:24pm On May 15, 2018
No let Twoods jam you
Yanumo:

LOL not so bro. just wanted to clarify some things for a friend. No vex
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Yanumo(m): 6:10am On May 16, 2018
Dremca:
No let Twoods jam you
Twoods?? Who's Twoods? Tiger woods? Tunde woods? The woods?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by AlterEnigma(m): 11:30am On May 16, 2018
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 4:53pm On May 17, 2018
Great Job Bro...I dey feel u lyk Jerry can... still on the Matter; American Dream.
must confess dat I love the low key ja'in... on code...
Am a Mechanical engineering "hopeful''....I want to write GRE n take it from there... what's your take?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 17, 2018
DavidLoves:
I want to write GRE n take it from there... what's your take?

i know sey e no concern me, but please write the GRE & you can add TOEFL or IELTS to it as well.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Wiseoldman: 4:55pm On May 17, 2018
MackyNaija:

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Yanumo(m): 5:41pm On May 17, 2018
Wiseoldman:

Hello brother,

I am planning to move out to US for study, I have a good grasp of the tuition. Can you advice what it cost for rent in an off-campus location close to your school for example. I am interested in single ocupant apartment may 1 or two bedroom depending on cost.

Many thanks

Check your school site they should have an off campus, and cost varies due to location, but for a single room for your self have $400-$600/month and ensure you look for a furnished apartment it's better so you avoid the cost of buying mattress, bed and furniture. You'd just spend cash on utensils. And you'd pay a security deposit between $200-$400. The security deposit is refundable though. It'll be paid back to you when you leave the apartment and all is intact.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 17, 2018

but please write the GRE & you can add TOEFL or IELTS to it as well.
ok, what advantages does writing TOEFL and IELTS v pls?

"i no say e no concern me"

why u talk so nw, we are all learning nw...thanks for the input
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 8:56pm On May 17, 2018
DavidLoves:

ok, what advantages does writing TOEFL and IELTS v pls?

most US universities ask for TOEFL as compared to IELTS. i can't say on the level of difficulty between both. You know exam difficulty/simplicity is relative, what might be easy for you might be difficult for me

all the best man
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 11:19am On May 18, 2018
nelem:

most US universities ask for
TOEFL
as compared to IELTS. i can't say on the level of difficulty between both. You know exam difficulty/simplicity is relative, what might be easy for you might be difficult for me

all the best man

so I can just prep for my GRE n write that@ bold
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 12:16pm On May 18, 2018
DavidLoves:

so I can just prep for my GRE n write that@ bold
yeah prepare & write both (GRE & TOEFL)
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 12:55pm On May 18, 2018
nelem:
yeah prepare & write both (GRE & TOEFL)

thanks .. any idea about d price?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Heisenberglos: 1:58pm On May 18, 2018
MackyNaija:
To all the incoming students for Fall 2018 - keep worrying the graduate school and department, in-state will likely drop for you. wink

Park your bags and get set to leave. Ensure you have enough for the first year, they don't harass you to pay up during the semester but your phone will blow up by the next week after the semester ends. How do I know this? Ask google grin

Your profile will be on hold until you pay to the last dollar, without the hold being lifted you can not register for the new semester. SO use your tongue to count your teeth.

"The streets" here are inactive - it's just you and your God. cry To get side hustle hard pass Dbanj winning a grammy but somehow, we keep pushing it till graduation.

In theory this is how it works, [s]pay the first two semesters, use internship money to sort the third, owe the fourth that I hear is handed over to a collection agency at 30% interest (not sure how this process works).[/s] Graduate and go find a job to sort yourself.

Make your dream a reality! Don't loose Hope! Tamuk is waiting, the US will reward you! wink cool

I have 3 rugged exams coming up, I'm out!

I recently got admission to tamuk and i literally couldn't believe i stumbled on this gem of a thread by you. You've exhausted a very wide range of Valuable experiences and opinions. It's incredible. I have a question

I wasn't given an out-of-state tuition waiver but you made mention it is still possible to get one upon arrival, depending on how you pressure the office of graduate school. Can you detail that a bit?

You made
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Olalekank(m): 2:07pm On May 18, 2018
Heisenberglos:

I recently got admission to tamuk and i literally couldn't believe i stumbled on this gem of a thread by you. You've exhausted a very wide range of Valuable experiences and opinions. It's incredible. I have a question

I wasn't given an out-of-state tuition waiver but you made mention it is still possible to get one upon arrival, depending on how you pressure the office of graduate school. Can you detail that a bit?

You made
Please can you share your profile. I feel like I like this TAMUK now

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Geedhey(m): 2:54pm On May 18, 2018
Heisenberglos:

You made

Bro did u write GRE also u could write to grad cord... didn't get the in-state tution waiver immediately after addmission was offered but i just got the offer not long ago.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Heisenberglos: 8:39pm On May 18, 2018
Geedhey:

Bro did u write GRE also u could write to grad cord... didn't get the in-state tution waiver immediately after addmission was offered but i just got the offer not long ago.

That's cool. Did you You personally write to your grad coordinator and recieve an out-of-state tuition waiver?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Geedhey(m): 10:02pm On May 18, 2018
Heisenberglos:

That's cool. Did you You personally write to your grad coordinator and recieve an out-of-state tuition waiver?
I did not write but i asked why I wasn't offered when I called admission office to enquire about my status
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Heisenberglos: 5:08am On May 19, 2018
Geedhey:

I did not write but i asked why I wasn't offered when I called admission office to enquire about my status

Alright. I've written to my grad coordinator *fingers crossed*
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Heisenberglos: 11:13pm On May 19, 2018
Geedhey:

So after you aaked them, they granted you? I'd assume you have an above 300 gre score?

I asked the admission dept too, the lady told me my gre score didn't qualify me.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Geedhey(m): 11:58pm On May 19, 2018
Heisenberglos:

So after you aaked them, they granted you? I'd assume you have an above 300 gre score?

I asked the admission dept too, the lady told me my gre score didn't qualify me.

GRE score 300.. they just told me they have reviewed and if I qualify for any of the aid I will be given as at then I was not offered... so I didn't think about it until I saw it surprisingly so just hope it migh land never say never
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Heisenberglos: 6:11pm On May 20, 2018
Geedhey:
GRE score 300.. they just told me they have reviewed and if I qualify for any of the aid I will be given as at then I was not offered... so I didn't think about it until I saw it surprisingly so just hope it migh land never say never

Bro. May i have your email ?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Geedhey(m): 11:16pm On May 20, 2018
Heisenberglos:

Bro. May i have your email ?
send me a pm

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.