Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,570 members, 7,801,629 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:46 PM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (388660 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:00pm On Aug 16, 2017
Iamsheye:
Pasito pasito, suave suavecito

Mehn i love that song even though i dont understand spanish i still love it

BTW its Luis Fonsi
I wanted to correct but you had already copied...

A reminder: I usually don't proof read before posting as I post under 'tight' situations. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Iamsheye(m): 11:02pm On Aug 16, 2017
MackyNaija:

I wanted to correct but you had already copied...

A reminder: I usually don't proof read before posting as I post under 'tight' situations. cheesy
Okay
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 1:37am On Aug 17, 2017
I forgot to say my roomie washed his clothes at our apartment's general laundry area...

Baba vex no be small grin grin grin

To wash small cloth and rinse am with machine, he was charged $4.50 angry

Wose kain nonsense be that! And nobody here deh wash cloth hang outside undecided undecided

I for jejely go rent village house o....
We need to devise a means to hack this.

22 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by iekene(m): 2:11am On Aug 17, 2017
MackyNaija:
I forgot to say my roomie washed his clothes at our apartment's general laundry area...

Baba vex no be small grin grin grin

To wash small cloth and rinse am with machine, he was charged $4.50 angry

Wose kain nonsense be that! And nobody here deh wash cloth hang outside undecided undecided

I for jejely go rent village house o....
We need to devise a means to hack this.

I have noticed it oo.. Please how do they dry clothes here because i dont understand. Last time i went to the Laundry the drying machine didn't dry it properly. I just hanged them inside my room because i was ashamed to carry them outside as i never see anybody do am here.

20 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by DisGuy: 9:35am On Aug 17, 2017
depends on how big your flat/house is you can get an indoor airer no?

or if you have a secure outdoor space or balcony get one for that

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by abduldope(m): 12:01pm On Aug 17, 2017
MackyNaija:

To wash small cloth and rinse am with machine, he was charged $4.50
ha nawao
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by alfonso36(m): 12:24pm On Aug 17, 2017
Find small rubber paint Oga, or any type of Bowl, fetch water, buy soap or detergent, use your hand wash your clothes, e be like say una be big man pikin

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by SkinnyDude(m): 1:36pm On Aug 17, 2017
MackyNaija:
Lined up for Check in now in the Ballroom for orientation.
These people no sabi dress. See the way they dressed like new men

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by periphetes: 2:45pm On Aug 17, 2017
Hello Mackynaija,
I love all your post they were all highly informative. Bros please can I tell both the consular & POE the reason I am in the U. S is for =
"Vacation and also to check out the right school for my future possible master degree program"
Could this reason be acceptable enough.... Looking forward to your response, God bless.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Chinewon88(m): 3:03pm On Aug 17, 2017
MackyNaija:
Today was better than all the days I have spent in school, building friendships.

Some people no deh try, some others are just marvelous! One very tight man just came to 'our' rescue... cool Drove 'us' all around town today, no complains or grumbling.

Uses his time, fuel and dishes advice and street sense like kilode!?

I go chop buffet today... I see food, I respect myself. tongue Had rice, lil spag and grilled chicken + watermelons... Chop wetin you know, no allow long throat kee you. cheesy

Lool... bros forget long throat mata, my friends carry me go one Chinese buffet for Minnesota. At $13 for dinner, I chop so tay I nor hungry for the next 24 hours.

24 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:30pm On Aug 17, 2017
iekene:

I have noticed it oo.. Please how do they dry clothes here because i dont understand. Last time i went to the Laundry the drying machine didn't dry it properly. I just hanged them inside my room because i was ashamed to carry them outside as i never see anybody do am here.

alfonso36:
Find small rubber paint Oga, or any type of Bowl, fetch water, buy soap or detergent, use your hand wash your clothes, e be like say una be big man pikin
You will not understand, this one no he big man...
There is no single handkerchief from anybody hanging outside.

Part of the culture shock people talk about.

DisGuy:
depends on how big your flat/house is you can get an indoor airer no?

or if you have a secure outdoor space or balcony get one for that
You have made sense...
There isn't a 'secure' space here. Everywhere open, you'll look weirdo kinda different hanging outside where I stay. Over an entire community, no handkerchief is hanging outside!

No be big man matter.

15 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:33pm On Aug 17, 2017
SkinnyDude:
These people no sabi dress. See the way they dressed like new men

If you expect to see designer wears on an average person here, you will be disappointed.
Most Nigerians will look over dressed here.

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:34pm On Aug 17, 2017
periphetes:
Hello Mackynaija,
I love all your post they were all highly informative. Bros please can I tell both the consular & POE the reason I am in the U. S is for =
"Vacation and also to check out the right school for my future possible master degree program"
Could this reason be acceptable enough.... Looking forward to your response, God bless.

This question isn't straight forward, different people come here for different reasons and different consular officers would see your reason from different angles.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:35pm On Aug 17, 2017
Chinewon88:

Lool... bros forget long throat mata, my friends carry me go one Chinese buffet for Minnesota. At $13 for dinner, I chop so tay I nor hungry for the next 24 hours.

cheesy Our $7 buffet here fit kill person!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by SkinnyDude(m): 7:09pm On Aug 17, 2017
MackyNaija:

If you expect to see designer wears on an average person here, you will be disappointed.
Yes.. Most Nigerians like to over dress.
I just love their simplicity.. Those white guys there

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by gnykelly(m): 7:42pm On Aug 17, 2017
MackyNaija:

i talk am. naija do it to oppress.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Josh4wod: 1:44am On Aug 18, 2017
MackyNaija:
Arrived at Doha... Large airport and a very beautiful place. smiley

If care is not taken, person fit loss for here.

Did a serious search for a charging point and found one. It is still three-pin plug in like naija style. My phone u.s two-pin charger also worked.

First pictures of the airport below...

Bro
I started reading your story around 12:00, this is 1: 45am and still reading, I tell you when am through cheesy grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Josh4wod: 2:40am On Aug 18, 2017
MackyNaija:

I hope so too. smiley

Thanks man.

I used an uncle, if one has no guarantor for an apartment managed by a 'property firm' I doubt if they would issue one a space. They offer 9 or 12 month leases/contract from my experience.

'Independent apartments' e.g a building owned by an individual might accept without a guarantor. They also accept month to month payments.
Is the tenth($500) per month or per annum?

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Josh4wod: 3:00am On Aug 18, 2017
Hmm

Nice thread and write up

Am through now cheesy cheesy grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by ProfOjah1234: 1:28pm On Aug 18, 2017
Chinewon88:

Lol.. I ate Mexican burritos for like $9 and I con dey vex say who send me.. I for kuku do eba and save the money for 2days transportation to my school (As my Marta card will be effective from nextmonth)

7 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Chinewon88(m): 2:14pm On Aug 18, 2017
ProfOjah1234:

Lol.. I ate Mexican burritos for like $9 and I con dey vex say who send me.. I for kuku do eba and save the money for 2days transportation to my school (As my Marta card will be effective from nextmonth)

Loool..
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 4:57pm On Aug 18, 2017
Josh4wod:

Bro
I started reading your story around 12:00, this is 1: 45am and still reading, I tell you when am through cheesy grin cheesy
You are very welcome. smiley

Josh4wod:

Is the tenth($500) per month or per annum?
shocked
The rent na MONTHLY o embarassed

Josh4wod:
Hmm

Nice thread and write up

Am through now cheesy cheesy grin grin
cheesy
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:00pm On Aug 18, 2017
ProfOjah1234:

Some of these spending, person need to just test the food.
I chop one new one yesterday night, shawarma styled sometin without cream but plenty chopped beef + something like jollof rice + small naija style salad without cream.

The shawarma stuff sweet sha! cheesy

15 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Josh4wod: 5:01pm On Aug 18, 2017
MackyNaija:

You are very welcome. smiley

shocked
The rent na MONTHLY o embarassed

Chai
$500/M?

I go need buckle my belt niyen Ooh

Check my signature anyway

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:10pm On Aug 18, 2017
Josh4wod:

Chai

I go need buckle my belt niyen Ooh

That's the Gospel I am here to preach. The Financial involvement Gospel.

If chanced within the weekend, I'll give a rough estimate of all I spent from writing exams in naija, to applying for schools to my approximate expenses till the end of my first month here.
I have it written on paper, hope I brought it along with me to yankee.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Josh4wod: 5:23pm On Aug 18, 2017
MackyNaija:

That's the Gospel I am here to preach. The Financial involvement Gospel.

If chanced within the weekend, I'll give a rough estimate of all I spent from writing exams in naija, to applying for schools to my approximate expenses till the end of my first month here.
I have it written on paper, hope I brought it along with me to yankee.

Lol
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Akin26: 10:10pm On Aug 18, 2017
Afternoon house please is there anyone in Morgan state university on this forum? Your boy need accommodation or how to get one. I need one asap

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by abduldope(m): 5:35pm On Aug 20, 2017
@mackynaija do you have any info on Texas schools accepting masters student with 2.6 CGPA or is their any program like POST GRADUATE down there

5 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by abduldope(m): 5:36pm On Aug 20, 2017
@mackynaija do you have any info on Texas schools accepting masters student with 2.6 CGPA or is their any program like POST GRADUATE down there

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by ProfOjah1234: 9:13pm On Aug 20, 2017
Akin26:
Afternoon house please is there anyone in Morgan state university on this forum? Your boy need accommodation or how to get one. I need one asap
Send a Pm to meritdee.. He is in Morgan state University
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 1:04am On Aug 21, 2017
abduldope:
I do not but you can check schools you are eyeing and view their requirements.

So much is involved in settling into a new land, please pardon my not so frequent updates.

Lectures start this week and I am currently off NL, looking at the syllabus and textbooks.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by TWoods(m): 4:28am On Aug 21, 2017
MackyNaija:

Some of these spending, person need to just test the food.
I chop one new one yesterday night, shawarma styled sometin without cream but plenty chopped beef + something like jollof rice + small naija style salad without cream.

The shawarma stuff sweet sha! cheesy

lol that is what they call a burrito. A mexican staple. You can make it yourself.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.