Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,172 members, 7,807,548 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank (9562 Views)

Shareholders May Lose Over N10 Billion To Skye Bank’s Takeover / CBN Extends BVN To Microfinance Banks, Gives July 31 Deadline / CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by Adesiji77: 10:59pm On Jul 18, 2017
LAGOS, July 18 (Reuters) - Nigeria's central bank has extended guarantees to Skye Bank for another year while it considers the bank's recapitalisation proposal, the mid-tier lender said in a statement.

The central bank shored up the Skye last year with a 100 billion naira ($328 million) capital injection, after sacking its top management for failing to meet minimum capital requirements. It then appointed a new management team.

The bank said it had recovered 60 billion naira in bad loans, closed some branches and sold four subsidiaries to boost capital in the past year.

Skye's problems started after it used short-term funds to buy local lender Mainstreet Bank in 2014 but failed to raise fresh cash. It was in talks with shareholders and investors last year to raise 30 billion naira but suspended the plans when weak oil prices hit capital markets and drove foreign investors away.

"The bank continues to require assistance from central bank and government as it repairs the damage inflicted on the institution in the past and charts a sustainable path forward for the bank," Skye bank said in a statement.

It said it had reached restructuring agreements with many of the chronic bad debtors resulting in improved payments and prospects of future recoveries, it said in a statement.

Skye shares rose more than 3 percent on Tuesday and were up 16 percent this year, after last year's 68 percent plunge.

The bank, which posted a pre-tax loss in 2015, said it had submitted its 2016 accounts for approval.

The central bank designated Skye as one of Nigeria's systemically important banks due to the size of total deposits it holds after it acquired Mainstreet Bank. This means it has to increase its capital ratio to 16 percent, the industry average.

The bank said it has appointed advisers to guide it on a recapitalisation process and that it has identified various options with proposals being considered by the central bank.

http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL5N1K94XZ

Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by auntysimbiat(f): 11:08pm On Jul 18, 2017
Cool
Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by hungryboy(m): 4:44am On Jul 19, 2017
Here is how Nigeria works
Big man goes to his bank friends to take loans he has no intention of paying back
Because of too much bad loans, the bank almost collapses,

Big man begs Government to rescue the bank

And write off his debts to the bank as bad loans
Government then rescues the bank and writes off his debts ,

And big man goes back to that same bank again to collect more loans he plans not to pay back

And the cycle continues

How many poor men dem dey give loan 0,

15 Likes

Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by mikeycharles(m): 10:18am On Jul 19, 2017
Skye ke, besides who still banks with them except some of our corrupt politicians like Pat lipsrsealed
Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by bumi10(m): 10:18am On Jul 19, 2017
y
Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by Slai1: 10:19am On Jul 19, 2017
Thumps.

1 Like

Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by IDEKEALUMONA(m): 10:20am On Jul 19, 2017
Good one from CBN,they should do everything possible to support the bank, we cannot afford bank collapse with its attendant job loss at this time.

Relatively cheap plots of land at different locations in Trans-Ekulu Enugu for sale.

Call:0-8-1-0-5-8-6-6-4-7-3*

1 Like

Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by mikeycharles(m): 10:20am On Jul 19, 2017
hungryboy:
Big man goes to his bank friends to take loans he has no intention of paying back

And big man goes back to that same bank again to collect more loans he plans not to pay back

And the cycle continues

nice one
Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by mrkings84(m): 10:21am On Jul 19, 2017
So Skye Bank is going bankrupt afterall??
OK, let me go withdraw my small change there!!
Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by AroOkigbo(m): 10:22am On Jul 19, 2017
Bad loan is corruption.
It should not end with sacking top management. ..they should also face legal actions as a detriment.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by mikeycharles(m): 10:22am On Jul 19, 2017
Adesiji77:

http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL5N1K94XZ
the flower that smells sweet is lowly, aunty what are you trying to say shocked, are you talking about your own flower
Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by Wisdombankxz: 10:22am On Jul 19, 2017
OK.. A good step.

16.1k followers instagram page for sale. Call or whatsapp 08084334575
Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by collinsVP: 10:26am On Jul 19, 2017
Hmmm

Where are the canons of lending?

Were they not followed?

What about provisions made at earlier days of sensing default signals.

Oh! they said the most important canon is Honesty - not sure.

Oh! They said there was investment mismatch- they used short term fund to finance long term investment.

Ok oo yawn!!
Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by HopeAtHand: 10:26am On Jul 19, 2017
If not for RVSG, Skye Bank would have been dead years ago.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by sammysammy111(m): 10:26am On Jul 19, 2017
Skye bank, make una employ me to help una recover dos bad loans by fire by force
Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by bayoade(m): 10:31am On Jul 19, 2017
Good news for depositors and stakeholders of Skye Bank from the regulatory CBN .

1 Like

Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by bayoade(m): 10:32am On Jul 19, 2017
Good news for depositors and stakeholders of Skye Bank from the regulatory CBN .

1 Like

Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by jomoh: 10:33am On Jul 19, 2017
This bank has been having problem since TSA started. these are the banks that have no real banking business they only depended on government money.

1 Like

Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by Dollabiz: 10:37am On Jul 19, 2017
Why
Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by babdap: 10:43am On Jul 19, 2017
could it be financial mismanagement because Skye Bank was like the third or fourth strongest bank 2 years ago in terms of capital base and investment

1 Like

Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by tonguengineer(m): 10:49am On Jul 19, 2017
IDEKEALUMONA:
Good one from CBN,they should do everything possible to support the bank, we cannot afford bank collapse with its attendant job loss at this time.

Relatively cheap plots of land at different locations in Trans-Ekulu Enugu for sale.

Call:0-8-1-0-5-8-6-6-4-7-3*
Am an afonja
Can I get 2plots
Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by cyt: 11:06am On Jul 19, 2017
The bank said it had recovered 60 billion naira in bad loans, closed some branches and sold four subsidiaries to boost capital in the past year.

Now that u v recovered N60Billion plus d money wey CBN give una, will u recall d laid-off staff? undecided
Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by seunlayi(m): 11:11am On Jul 19, 2017
THIS IS COOL

1 Like

Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by TheAlchemist: 12:04pm On Jul 19, 2017
hungryboy:

And the cycle continues

You must be banker!
Sadly a genuine struggling entrepreneur just requiring funding of N1m with good intention to pay back would never be granted such loans.
Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jul 19, 2017
while the crook who ran it aground, still dey flex with Dangote inside yatch grin

1 Like

Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by NobleBeer(m): 12:19pm On Jul 19, 2017
Abeg how do I transfer money from my Skye account to other bank online. I don forget my mobile pin.
Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by ScepticalPyrrho: 12:49pm On Jul 19, 2017
NobleBeer:
Abeg how do I transfer money from my Skye account to other bank online. I don forget my mobile pin.
You wan run?

I still get small change there sef... I no go run yet.

1 Like

Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by hibee14eve(m): 3:58pm On Jul 19, 2017
borrowing money that doesn't exist and paying back interest. #cooperation
Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by uboma(m): 6:51pm On Jul 19, 2017
@ Adesiji77,

Sorry to derail your thread but why turn a blind eye to the PM I sent to you over 2 months or more ago?
Re: CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank by Adesiji77: 11:50pm On Jul 19, 2017
uboma:
@ Adesiji77,

Sorry to derail your thread but why turn a blind eye to the PM I sent to you over 2 months or more ago?

shocked

Bros, I replied o! I even wondered why I didn't hear from you after that. Maybe you missed it. Will try to resend.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FOREX: No Plan To Convert Domiciliary Accounts Into Naira - CBN / Need A Loan Of One Million / Gtb Internet Banking Activation Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.