Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:10 AM

Stop Giving Babies Water, Govt Tells Mothers - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stop Giving Babies Water, Govt Tells Mothers (856 Views)

"I Swapped Close To 5,000 Babies In 12 Years" - Zambian Nurse Confesses / ‘I Lost Over 19 Babies’;Lady Who Gave Birth To Baby Girl Narrates Ordeal. Photos / Mothers Stop Using Anti Fungal As Baby Cream – Pediatrician Warns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Giving Babies Water, Govt Tells Mothers by GoodBehave: 6:30am On Jul 19, 2017
Eniola Akinkuotu , Abuja

The Federal Ministry of Health has advised mothers to stop giving water to babies under the age of six months but should rather focus on exclusive breastfeeding .

The Head of Nutrition , Family Health Department, Federal Ministry of Health , Dr. Chris Isokpunwu, said lthis in Abuja on Monday during a high - level consultative meeting with states on accelerating nutrition result in Nigeria .

Isokpunwu said statistics showed that at least 46 per cent of mothers were giving their babies breast milk and water.

The doctor said this was wrong because it made the children susceptible to diseases , adding that breast milk already contained water.

He said , “ Babies below the age of six months should be exclusively on breast milk . About 46 per cent of mothers give water to their babies along with breast milk . This is wrong and it must be stopped. It increases the risks of babies having diarrhoea and pneumonia. ”

Also speaking , the Minister of Health , Prof. Isaac Adewole , said Nigeria had the second highest rate of malnutrition in the world
Adewole, who was represented by the Director of Family Health Department at the ministry , Dr . Adebimpe Adebiyi , said nearly 1, 500 children in Nigeria died daily of malnutrition .

The minister said , “ With a stunthing rate of 31. 5 per cent in 2015, which translates to about 11 million children , Nigeria has the highest number of stunted children under age five in sub-Saharan Africa , and the second highest in the world .

“ Similarly , about 7. 2 per cent are wasted , that is acutely malnourished and 18. 6 per cent are underweight . It is also a well- established fact that, as an underlying cause of death , malnutrition accounts for more than 50 per cent of deaths of children under the age of five in Nigeria .

“ Every day, Nigeria loses about 2, 300 children under -five year of age and malnutrition accounts for more than half of these deaths . It is therefore obvious that we cannot seriously think about reducing deaths of children under the age of five without addressing malnutrition. ”

Adewole said analysis by the Micronutrient Initiative showed that unless Nigeria took effective action to prevent and control Vitamin A Deficiency, over 80, 000 Nigerian children would die annually.

The minister said the total amount of money needed to fund the project to combat malnutrition was $912m .

He thanked the World Bank for making $350m available and called on all states to make the dream a reality.

cc:lalasticlala

http://punchng.com/stop-giving-babies-water-govt-tells-mothers/#
Re: Stop Giving Babies Water, Govt Tells Mothers by taylor88(m): 6:34am On Jul 19, 2017
breast milk wey don finish while they were dating

some dudes can't even suck breast with conscience

they suck with all there problem attached to it
Re: Stop Giving Babies Water, Govt Tells Mothers by nextprince: 6:34am On Jul 19, 2017
Nawao!
Just breast milk for 6 months at a stretch, no water?
is this even possible?
When slay queen baby mamas don't even breast feed at all to save the firmness of dem bweasts.
Re: Stop Giving Babies Water, Govt Tells Mothers by IneedSugarMumy1(m): 6:35am On Jul 19, 2017
My bro wife didn't give her baby anything for complete 6months only breast milk

1 Like

Re: Stop Giving Babies Water, Govt Tells Mothers by Homeboiy: 6:37am On Jul 19, 2017
Which breast milk The one wey don'dry
Re: Stop Giving Babies Water, Govt Tells Mothers by Nobody: 6:50am On Jul 19, 2017
nextprince:
Nawao!
Just breast milk for 6 months at a stretch, no water?
is this even possible?
When slay queen baby mamas don't even breast feed at all to save the firmness of dem bweasts.

My dear, it's very possible. It's one of the best things a mother can do for her baby.

1 Like

Re: Stop Giving Babies Water, Govt Tells Mothers by nextprince: 6:54am On Jul 19, 2017
BleSSedMee:

My dear, it's very possible. It's one of the best things a mother can do for her baby.
Okay.
Re: Stop Giving Babies Water, Govt Tells Mothers by jhydebaba(m): 6:55am On Jul 19, 2017
Shey ur mama breast feed u exclusively for 6 months Mr health man For this kind time, wey working mothers have to resume work after 3 months some one month after given birth.

I pray triplet fall on u and ur wife, so that u can advise her accordingly and also supervise the exclusivity.
Re: Stop Giving Babies Water, Govt Tells Mothers by psucc(m): 7:19am On Jul 19, 2017
BleSSedMee:

Bros I am a father of 4 and my wife combined both water and breast milk to feed them. Depending on the child, some started using other food at 3 months or thereabout.

They are doing fine health-wise and any area they find themselves by God's special grace.

Don't starve that innocent child because of government or expert advise!

1 Like

Re: Stop Giving Babies Water, Govt Tells Mothers by nkeona(m): 7:19am On Jul 19, 2017
just recently a baby died because of this exclusive nonsense in my presence. Baby girl came into the world at pass 12am milk was not coming out from her mothers breast I don't know why it was so, this baby was crying doctor and nurse refused anyone from giving the baby water well it died before 6:30am.. waiting I sabi but something dey tell me say na hungry or dehydration kill that pikin.
Re: Stop Giving Babies Water, Govt Tells Mothers by Nobody: 7:31am On Jul 19, 2017
psucc:
Bros I am a father of 4 and my wife combined both water and breast milk to feed them. Depending on the child, some started using other food at 3 months or thereabout.

They are doing fine health-wise and any area they find themselves by God's special grace.

Don't starve that innocent child because of government or expert advise!

Bros? Lol. I be Madam o.

I know right. It's not compulsory. Only advisable.

My momma didn't exclusively bf any of us but we are doing great. Agreed!!!

I exclusively bf my two sons. If you see them, you'll just know. Lol.
Bottom line is, it's good for them. But if wifey can't do it, don't stress it.
Re: Stop Giving Babies Water, Govt Tells Mothers by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 19, 2017
nkeona:
just recently a baby died because of this exclusive nonsense in my presence. Baby girl came into the world at pass 12am milk was not coming out from her mothers breast I don't know why it was so, this baby was crying doctor and nurse refused anyone from giving the baby water well it died before 6:30am.. waiting I sabi but something dey tell me say na hungry or dehydration kill that pikin.

If I were there, I woulda flogged That woman and the doc.
A mother knows what's best for her baby. That was a special case. If the breastmilk is not flowing, alternative measures ought to have been applied.

Poor baby.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Giving Babies Water, Govt Tells Mothers by Nobody: 10:00am On Jul 20, 2017
nkeona:

Was there no formula available or another nursing mother? Giving children water before they begin eating solid food is very dangerous, because it crates electrolyte imbalances which can kill your child. However there is no excuse for starving a newborn baby of proper milk.

(1) (Reply)

Ladies, Tighten And Trim You Loose Skin Here / 10 Cancer Causing Food You Have To Stop Eating / Help!!! Genital Warts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.