Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:15 AM

7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages (17897 Views)

Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria / Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Olaola25: 1:23pm On Jul 19, 2017
I can teach u more if u dont mind.
preccy69:
I can speak two very well, Yoruba small small
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by dfrost: 1:24pm On Jul 19, 2017
BendDownSelect:
I only subscribe to the second to the last point. Which also applies to learning any other language apart from your mother's tongue. It helps the brain.

When you said mother's tongue, what exactly do you mean?
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by preccy69(f): 1:25pm On Jul 19, 2017
Olaola25:
I can teach u more if u dont mind.
Lols, I don't
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by ammyluv2002(f): 1:25pm On Jul 19, 2017
There are so many benefits especially if you're based in that city .....

Speak Hausa to an Hausa and he/she will surely be happy with you and sell things very cheap for you even dash you things join

As an Igbo chic, speak Igbo to an Igbo guy who's based in the North or elsewhere then you don enter one chance be that....he will cut your throat with price

Speak Yoruba to a Yoruba person , the gist will take a new turn with plenty more gist to follow yet you will still buy at the actual price. No reduction even with all the gist and time grin

#MyLittleFindings

4 Likes

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by ekensi01: 1:26pm On Jul 19, 2017
Nowenuse:
Nonsense! 3 major languages my foot.
More like 3 major ethnic groups that have spoilt Nigeria.
may be you need to tell us xour language 1st.
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by bizhop01: 1:31pm On Jul 19, 2017
I speak 5 nigeria languages & 3 international, i want to learn more
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by toseen7: 1:39pm On Jul 19, 2017
bizhop01:
I speak 5 nigeria languages & 3 international,
i want to learn more
Chinese?
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by letsgetgoing: 1:44pm On Jul 19, 2017
Opinionated:
Nigeria has three major languages namely Yoruba, Igbo, and Hausa. The thing is not a large number of people can communicate in these three languages. This is perhaps because English is our main lingua franca. There are so many benefits of speaking these three languages. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares these benefits. It is, noteworthy, to say that even though we are encouraging Nigerians to speak these three languages, more and more citizens are moving away from even communicating in their own mother tongue.

You will have more job opportunities

There are certain jobs you can not apply for if you cannot speak these three languages. And you know that these jobs come with fantastic salaries and bonuses. For example, you cannot work for BBC Hausa, if you cannot speak Hausa whether you are a veteran broadcaster or not.

Improve your competitiveness

Speaking a second or third traditional language makes your curriculum vitae stand out and can boost you to the top of the interview list with potential employers. You are very competitive.

Can earn more money

The financial returns of learning an extra Nigerian language can help you earn more money. You can freelance as a translator thus making more quids on the side.

Get to try on different personalities

You cannot be pigeonholed if you speak these languages. Hence, You can easily shift from one personality to another depending on which language you and your friends are speaking. You will have an all-rounded personality.

Opens up social and cultural opportunities

Speaking another language allows you to interact with different people and understand the perks of other cultures. This means that you have better chances to make friends, explore different ways of life and be able to blend with different lifestyles.

Improves problem-solving

Being multilingual in traditional languages can improve your brain functions like the ability to focus attention and perform mental tasks. Thus, people who speak more than one Nigerian language can process information more efficiently.

Help keeps you safe

Have you been in a dangerous situation in which you do not speak the same language with the people involved? Well, persons who are multilingual do not need to worry because their ability to speak and understand whatever they are saying can save you. However, do not be too hasty to respond because this can also be fatal.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/7-benefits-speaking-nigerias-three-major-languages/
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Samagads10(m): 1:51pm On Jul 19, 2017
robosky02:
lobbish nonsense

then where is

orobo language?

itsejiri language?

annong language?

ikom language?

kalabari language?

ikwerre language?

kanuri language?

The number of Igbo speakers alone is more than all of those put together... Not to talk of Hausa or Yoruba.
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by EazyMoh(m): 2:01pm On Jul 19, 2017
ammyluv2002:

Speak Hausa to an Hausa and he/she will surely be happy with you and sell things very cheap for you even dash you things join

As an Igbo chic, speak Igbo to an Igbo guy who's based in the North or elsewhere then you don enter one chance be that....he will cut your throat with price

Speak Yoruba to a Yoruba person , the gist will take a new turn with plenty more gist to follow yet you will still buy at the actual price. No reduction even with all the gist and time grin

#MyLittleFindings
Wow that's an eye opener.
I never knew how other tribes treat people that can speak their language, but as an Hausa man, I concur with what you said.
When I was in the south vendors would just package whatever they are selling and give us just for hearing us talking in Hausa.
#Somuchlove

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Iamzik: 2:06pm On Jul 19, 2017
Op you forgot to add the advantage of getting good deals when buying stuff. I wanted to buy yam from Aboki one day and he said 7k. Others were buying for 5k after I blow conc Hausa give the guy na 3.5k I pay last
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by musicwriter(m): 2:24pm On Jul 19, 2017
First of all, our lingua franca is Pigin, not English. The indoctrination we got from Britain is the only reason Pigin takes the back seat like our various native languages.

1. The benefit of speaking our native language is that it would help you understand the linguistics of other languages.

2. It makes you a human being, since you can't claim to be a human being, if you don't have a language.

3. It qualifies you to beat your chest and say "I' am from so so ethnic group", because you can't seriously claim you belong to any ethnic group, if you don't speak their language.
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by slyd90(m): 2:48pm On Jul 19, 2017
undecided and im still hunting for JOB i can speak Yoruba and hausa fluently..igbo na join join
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by malware: 2:51pm On Jul 19, 2017
okonja:
English - Advanced cool
Yoruba - Native
Hausa - Intermediate
Kanuri - Beginner

All thanks to UNIMAID cool

I envy you Boss
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by mustafa006: 2:56pm On Jul 19, 2017
gabrielgmw01:
IT DOSEN'T STOP AREWA YOUTH FROM ISSUING QUIT NOTICE TO BIAFRANS
*flatty spotted*
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 19, 2017
robosky02:
lobbish nonsense

then where is

orobo language?

itsejiri language?

annong language?

ikom language?

kalabari language?

ikwerre language?

kanuri language?

Hausa, igbo and Yoruba are our major indigenous languages in Nigeria. A large part of the population speaks it so it would be beneficial to learn to the minorities ethnic groups to learn these languages. But again what stops others from learning the minorities languages? Are they saying that most persons from the minorities group don't have business that favours their own people too, take for example Ait is owned by an Edo man. If what op is driving out is because of job opportunities, then we have a long way to go in this country because those from the minorities will start emulating what the majorities are doing. Infant it has started already in most minority states e. g Edo state
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jul 19, 2017
ammyluv2002:

#MyLittleFindings
Absolutely correct. Igbo own worst, speak an igbo language to an average igbo person in an organization and watch them reply you in English language (Although not all persons but most of them exhibit this trait as observed by me). Yoruba is OK but Na gist upon gist as highlighted by you but not all of them
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jul 19, 2017
musicwriter:
First of all, our lingua franca is Pigin, not English. The indoctrination we got from Britain is the only reason Pigin takes the back seat like our various native languages.

1. The benefit of speaking our native language is that it would help you understand the linguistics of other languages.

2. It makes you a human being, since you can't claim to be a human being, if you don't have a language.

3. It qualifies you to beat your chest and say "I' am from so so ethnic group", because you can't seriously claim you belong to any ethnic group, if you don't speak their language.
Hmmmmm but officially it's English. There's something I noticed during advertisement on popular TV stations in Nigeria. Aside English, they advertised more using pidgin language as the message is spread across compare to the three indigenous languages. I begin to wonder why they do that since they claim we have 3 major tribes aside English language. Do you have an idea why it's so?
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 19, 2017
slyd90:
undecided and im still hunting for JOB i can speak Yoruba and hausa fluently..igbo na join join
Yeah your contribution as refuted what op is saying pertaining getting jobs. Infact as time goes by, the above highlighted wouldn't be in vogue when most persons start speaking the above languages

1 Like

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 19, 2017
preccy69:
I can speak two very well, Yoruba small small
if you hate men then u are a lesbian nah
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Businessideas: 3:40pm On Jul 19, 2017
senatordave1:
Yes,apart from english,efik and ubaghara my native language,i have learnt how to speak ibo while doing my youth service at anambra.ibo is the sweetest among the three but speaking hausa is more advantageous.i think the 3 languages should also be made official languages.most countries in africa do not have just one official language.even in south africa,xhosa and zulu are official languages.lets follow suit
It's Igbo not Ibo,o ga o sad
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Businessideas: 3:45pm On Jul 19, 2017
musicwriter:

Our lingua franca is English not pidgin o and it was English we learnt first before corrupting it as Pidgin. I just pity us if we allow our major languages to take the back seat because if these major languages are not protected there's no hope for the language of the minorities be dat cool
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by ima4sure(f): 3:59pm On Jul 19, 2017
I speak 4.....efik, ibo, hausa and yoruba.
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Chukazu: 4:01pm On Jul 19, 2017
senatordave1:
Yes,apart from english,efik and ubaghara my native language,i have learnt how to speak ibo while doing my youth service at anambra.ibo is the sweetest among the three but speaking hausa is more advantageous.i think the 3 languages should also be made official languages.most countries in africa do not have just one official language.even in south africa,xhosa and zulu are official languages.lets follow suit

The sweetness of language is relative to the speaker shaa.. But I just think Hausa is like music to the ear.. My opinion though
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Jac007(m): 4:23pm On Jul 19, 2017
Thank God I can speak Yoruba,Hausa and Ighala languages fluently. You can't sell me in Igbo language sef cheesy
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Jac007(m): 4:31pm On Jul 19, 2017
ima4sure:
I speak 4.....efik, ibo, hausa and yoruba.

I envy you shocked
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Mexyz(m): 5:15pm On Jul 19, 2017
ammyluv2002:

#MyLittleFindings
Lol... So trueeee
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Ezionye(f): 7:38pm On Jul 19, 2017
Unfortunately d only indigenous language I know is " broken". Too bad
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by ima4sure(f): 8:45pm On Jul 19, 2017
Jac007:

I envy you shocked

lol...tnks
dad akwa ibom
mum imo
born and brought up in kaduna
presently in lag...
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by labonita1(f): 8:56pm On Jul 19, 2017
Nowenuse:
Nonsense! 3 major languages my foot.
More like 3 major ethnic groups that have spoilt Nigeria.
why do you want to spoil this amazing thread

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oluwo Of Iwo Denied Rumour Of Not Allowed Into Vip Area At Eagles Square / Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade / Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.