Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,802 members, 7,806,238 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:24 PM

7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages (17891 Views)

Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria / Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by labonita1(f): 9:00pm On Jul 19, 2017
Husty:
What about speaking in tongues?
is it among Nigeria main language
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by musicwriter(m): 9:12pm On Jul 19, 2017
Businessideas:

Our lingua franca is English not pidgin o and it was English we learnt first before corrupting it as Pidgin. I just pity us if we allow our major languages to take the back seat because if these major languages are not protected there's no hope for the language of the minorities be dat cool

Before slavery, before colonialism, communication between us and white people happened in Pidgin, and at that time white people also partly spoke our native languages to make up, just as we still do ourselves with mixture of English and other native languages. So, Pidgin is not a corrupted English. Its a creole language that originated from our contact with white people and even other African nations. A creole language evolves when two languages collide, because both cultures would necessarily need such language to communicate themselves.

Our lingua franca has always been Pidgin, its just that we remain too indoctrinated to make it official.

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by musicwriter(m): 9:17pm On Jul 19, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Hmmmmm but officially it's English. There's something I noticed during advertisement on popular TV stations in Nigeria. Aside English, they advertised more using pidgin language as the message is spread across compare to the three indigenous languages. I begin to wonder why they do that since they claim we have 3 major tribes aside English language. Do you have an idea why it's so?

Yes, because they do understand Pidgin is our lingua franca- the most spoken language in Nigeria, far widespread than English. Everybody knows if you want to pass a message nationwide in Nigeria, the best language to achieve that is Pidgin, not English.

Our lingua franca has always been Pidgin, its just that we remain too indoctrinated to make it official.

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by emperordelis(m): 10:01pm On Jul 19, 2017
TINALETC3:
Very important, I had d opportunity to speak d 3 bt I dnt no Wat jst happened , I ws born in kaduna, I spark grin Hausa well, bt left dere at age 4 ,na so I take 4get am, now I dey Yoruba land, na only dia insultive words I sabi grin
Ftcccccccccccccc
I made it
i fit still teach you all the hausa you forgot
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by mamawin(f): 10:04pm On Jul 19, 2017
thickminaj:
. smiley. Nice one op.. Very insightful... The only benefit I hv so far is buying onion at a cheaper price from aboki undecided
You are not alone there, Onion, dry fish, etc. When I enter market with 'Sannu de zuwa', they will think I know the whole hausa dictionary offhand.
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by mamawin(f): 10:18pm On Jul 19, 2017
It has always been in my plans to be able to speak at least three other languages apart from my mother tongue. I love French and Hausa so much, and English is the third, I believe it's not too late to learn.

1 Like

Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jul 19, 2017
ZaraGift:

There are more than 5 tribes in Edo state, be specific
That's true Esan to be precise
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Jhamzy(m): 11:35pm On Jul 19, 2017
TINALETC3:
Very important, I had d opportunity to speak d 3 bt I dnt no Wat jst happened , I ws born in kaduna, I spark grin Hausa well, bt left dere at age 4 ,na so I take 4get am, now I dey Yoruba land, na only dia insultive words I sabi grin
Ftcccccccccccccc
I made it
I can teach you if you are still wilking to learn.
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by 1miccza: 11:47pm On Jul 19, 2017
English Hausa Igbo Yoruba
Trying to pick up a bit of Efik
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Abudu2000(m): 7:21am On Jul 20, 2017
Rubbish!! Language and religion is the two major problems nigerians are facing. I wish they coukd just make only one laguage the official one, i mean look at ghana they are so unified and peacefull coz all understand each other better
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by preccy69(f): 9:12am On Jul 20, 2017
vingeophysicist:
if you hate men then u are a lesbian nah
ok,you have a problem with that
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Nobody: 9:43am On Jul 20, 2017
preccy69:
ok,you have a problem with that
yes ooo.because u are beautiful
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by preccy69(f): 10:48am On Jul 20, 2017
vingeophysicist:
yes ooo.because u are beautiful
ok
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by lovat(m): 11:45am On Jul 20, 2017
Ezionye:
Unfortunately d only indigenous language I know is " broken". Too bad
don't tell me you can't speak igbo
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by dfrost: 11:59am On Jul 20, 2017
ZaraGift:

Your Language eg Igbo is mother's tongue(1st Language)

I quite disagree. Mother's tongue is referred to a child's first language while growing up. Implication is that if my mother is Spanish and I grew up speaking English, that is my mother tongue. Language of mother is not necessarily "mother tongue".
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Ezionye(f): 2:32pm On Jul 20, 2017
lovat:
don't tell me you can't speak igbo

Unfortunately, no
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Jac007(m): 6:24pm On Jul 20, 2017
ima4sure:

lol...tnks
dad akwa ibom
mum imo
born and brought up in kaduna
presently in lag...

Please be my wife so our kids could understand Efik, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa and Ighala languages wink
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by lovat(m): 6:37pm On Jul 20, 2017
Ezionye:

Unfortunately, no
But you look igbo and your profile says you stay in the east. What am i getting wrong
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by Ezionye(f): 7:33pm On Jul 20, 2017
lovat:
But you look igbo and your profile says you stay in the east. What am i getting wrong

Hmm

So uve not met pple who can't speak their indigenous language?

Dats y I used d word unfortunately. I did not get to learn any indigenous language
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by CelestineC(m): 6:19am On Jul 21, 2017
It's quite unfortunate for me though

I can only speak my native language and English
Re: 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages by lovat(m): 8:28am On Jul 21, 2017
Ezionye:

Hmm

So uve not met pple who can't speak their indigenous language?

Dats y I used d word unfortunately. I did not get to learn any indigenous language
Do you mind me teaching you though i will teach you Anambra dialect

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Black Race Is A Disgrace And Curse To Humanity.. / Oluwo Of Iwo Denied Rumour Of Not Allowed Into Vip Area At Eagles Square / Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.