Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria (797 Views)

It's Time For Restructuring, Yoruba Nation To Adopt Paradigm Shift - Gani Adams / US Blames Killings In Nigeria On Reign Of Impunity / "PDP Squandered Our Resources In The Worst Form Of Impunity" - Utomi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria by BigDealz: 2:52pm On Jul 19, 2017
News filtered in yesterday on how the Lagos State House of Assembly passed a law to change a selection criteria in the electoral process just four days to the local government election. It made it possible for "all" political parties to submit names of candidates at least 3 days before an election in the state. And guess what, it passed the first and second reading and Governor's signature passing it into law within ONE DAY!!! This means a particular area where the APC have not yet fielded candidate will have an opportunity to do so now.

Now this makes me wonder; if this could go on within a state just because a particular party enjoys full ownership of the government circle, what do we expect to see when more powers are given to the states or Regions in the name of "Restructuring"... Imagine this level of impunity going on and no one is talking because the Governor is the boss.

If this could be done to a supposedly " independent LASIEC", what do we get to expect when state police, state resource control etc is later achieved? What do we get to see when eventually, more powers are given to these State governors who pocket their house of assembly members who act like mere rubber stamps? What happens when these state Governors have more control over the state machineries?

I would have loved to see this country restructured, however, what happened recently in the LAGOS STATE HOUSE OF IMPUNITY/ASSEMBLY leaves much to be desired. This sincerely shows the "Evil" that's imbedded in the clamour for "RESTRUCTURED NIGERIA".
Re: Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria by ZKOSOSO(m): 3:08pm On Jul 19, 2017
Well the clamour for Restructuring is all about clipping the wings of the North or better still the core North(HausaFulaniKanuris-Muslims).

Their excesses is beyond human imagination. The way they chained every other ethnic groups is brutally unacceptable in a democracy.

They contribute zero but takes 80% to themselves. Fairness and Justice are strange to them. All ethno-religous bloodshed are from HausaFulaniKanuris. Restructuring will put an end to this.

Resources Control will stop free Oil Money to them. State Police will flush out all herdsmen back to core North. Land use act will domicile minerals in the hands of natives. What a relief if we do get it...

4 Likes

Re: Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 19, 2017
BigDealz:
News filtered in yesterday on how the Lagos State House of Assembly passed a law to change a selection criteria in the electoral process just four days to the local government election. It made it possible for "all" political parties to submit names of candidates at least 3 days before an election in the state. And guess what, it passed the first and second reading and Governor's signature passing it into law within ONE DAY!!! This means a particular area where the APC have not yet fielded candidate will have an opportunity to do so now.

Now this makes me wonder; if this could go on within a state just because a particular party enjoys full ownership of the government circle, what do we expect to see when more powers are given to the states or Regions in the name of "Restructuring"... Imagine this level of impunity going on and no one is talking because the Governor is the boss.

If this could be done to a supposedly " independent LASIEC", what do we get to expect when state police, state resource control etc is later achieved? What do we get to see when eventually, more powers are given to these State governors who pocket their house of assembly members who act like mere rubber stamps? What happens when these state Governors have more control over the state machineries?

I would have loved to see this country restructured, however, what happened recently in the LAGOS STATE HOUSE OF IMPUNITY/ASSEMBLY leaves much to be desired. This sincerely shows the "Evil" that's imbedded in the clamour for "RESTRUCTURED NIGERIA".
Inec is independent, so the state has no authority over inec. If anything is weird in this aspect, I think if such happen , inec should be blame and not hoa.
Re: Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria by three: 3:49pm On Jul 19, 2017
A sad commentary on democracy from the alleged home of democratic progressives

1 Like

Re: Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria by agabusta: 3:59pm On Jul 19, 2017
beamtopola:

Inec is independent, so the state has no authority over inec. If anything is weird in this aspect, I think if such happen , inec should be blame and not hoa.

Where did you see INEC in the post?

Does INEC conduct local government elections?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jul 19, 2017
agabusta:

Where did you see INEC in the post?

Does INEC conduct local government elections?
Pls educate me. Who is charge of conducting government elections in nigeria?
Re: Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria by MetaPhysical: 4:12pm On Jul 19, 2017
Bigdealz,
What is the bigdeal over a legislation to amend local electoral process? Nothing really!

If the state wants it can redistrict local governments and wards 24hrs to an election, so long it is within the electoral limits for conducting local election. We suffer from the fear of unknown and then blow our top when events happen outside the comfort zone of what we are used to.

Lagos State is perfectly in line with this process. We are taking back control of our state and its political process, no more free-for-all!
Re: Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria by agabusta: 5:05pm On Jul 19, 2017
beamtopola:

Pls educate me. Who is charge of conducting government elections in nigeria?

INEC conducts Elections into the office of the President and Vice President, Governor and Deputy Governor including the Legislators at the National Assembly (Senate and House of Rep) and those at the State Houses of Assembly.

Each State's electoral commission is saddled with conducting their State's local government elections.

In this case, the election we are talking about is that of Lagos Local Governments and the body conducting the election is the Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission (LASIEC).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria by mars123(m): 5:23pm On Jul 19, 2017
The clamour for restructure pertaining to resource control, state police, etc is simply to bring governance closer to the people, encourage states to be more productive, it is like creating 36 countries in one nation. We all know the load is too much for the FG to manage effectively, the last 18 years have proven so.

The system where the FG lords over everything wasn't even what was adopted after we got independence from the British. When our founding fathers came together to plan the future of Nigeria.

No matter the disadvantages, it is a small issue compared to the ones we currently face. And yes some of the states will be badly governed but it is left to the people to determine their destinies when government is at their door step.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria by Blue3k(m): 6:05pm On Jul 19, 2017
I'm glad you guys got this few key points in restructuring. All that's left is moving bunch of items to concurrent legislative list.
Re: Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria by orisa37: 6:27pm On Jul 19, 2017
Ajai or Ojo without Madueke will never be Local Government legislator in Anambra again.
Re: Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria by BigDealz: 2:09am On Jul 20, 2017
MetaPhysical:
Bigdealz,
What is the bigdeal over a legislation to amend local electoral process? Nothing really!

If the state wants it can redistrict local governments and wards 24hrs to an election, so long it is within the electoral limits for conducting local election. We suffer from the fear of unknown and then blow our top when events happen outside the comfort zone of what we are used to.

Lagos State is perfectly in line with this process. We are taking back control of our state and its political process, no more free-for-all!

Sir, I have no issues with whatever the Lagos State House of Assembly decides to do or when they amend laws. But if I may ask you, have there Ever been this rush to create Laws "Within ONE DAY" that are of impact to the masses? Imagine creating a bill, make it pass 1st and 2nd reading in the house, sent over to the governor for accent and became law in JUST ONE DAY!!! That's my concern. Not changing of laws.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria by BigDealz: 2:22am On Jul 20, 2017
ZKOSOSO:
Well the clamour for Restructuring is all about clipping the wings of the North or better still the core North(HausaFulaniKanuris-Muslims).

Their excesses is beyond human imagination. The way they chained every other ethnic groups is brutally unacceptable in a democracy.

They contribute zero but takes 80% to themselves. Fairness and Justice are strange to them. All ethno-religous bloodshed are from HausaFulaniKanuris. Restructuring will put an end to this.

Resources Control will stop free Oil Money to them. State Police will flush out all herdsmen back to core North. Land use act will domicile minerals in the hands of natives. What a relief if we do get it...

Sir, as much as I agree to the excesses of the North, I still feel we as youths should really begin to be sincere to our ourselves. Have they ever passed High impact laws that would help us grow and become better financially in JUST ONE DAY? I'm only trying to highlight the evil when too much powers goes to the states.

Our leaders in the south here have never been held accountable by the youths on what they have been using even the "little" funds they get for... I'm when I see Ekiti citizens stand in queue to receive freebies from one Osoko, yet cannot get one tractor from their local governments to aid farming...

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria by OAFMods: 2:30am On Jul 20, 2017
BigDealz:

Guy are you a lagosian or an Igbo ? Please leave Lagos with it's problem n go make great example of your state. Let Lagos majority rule itself however it please that is what democracy is all about.
Re: Lagos State House Of Impunity. A Litmus Test For Restructuring Nigeria by BigDealz: 7:34am On Jul 20, 2017
OAFMods:

Guy are you a lagosian or an Igbo ? Please leave Lagos with it's problem n go make great example of your state. Let Lagos majority rule itself however it please that is what democracy is all about.

Must one be of a tribe before one can comment on issues, or come from a particular state? I'm sure you are part of the gullible masses who the elites have programmed to keep displaying divide and rule mentality. I hope you begin to know only when people speak out, can a real change occur. Regards

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Photos | Floating Toilet Commissioned By Bayelsa Rep Member / How Man Was Brutalized 4 Confronting A Governor Who Delayed Der Flight / White Supremacist Thank Buhari For Flying Them To Lagos With Military Chopper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.