Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,465 members, 7,781,347 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:54 PM

Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children (3353 Views)

Reasons Why A Firstborn Cannot Marry Another Firstborn / Interesting Ways To Please A Nigerian Mother In Law. / 27 Fun And Interesting Facts About Babies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 19, 2017
If you're a parent, chances are you've thought about birth order and how it affects your kids. Am I harder on my firstborn? Do my kids have a normal sibling relationship? Does the order in which the kids were born really matter in the long run?

Turns out it does. Scientists have done extensive studies on family make-up and how it affects not only how you parent, but your kids' health and personalities.

The following are some interesting facts about firstborns:

1. They're Born To Learn.

Is your oldest child a bit of a know-it-all? It could be because of their birth order. Firstborns really are born to learn, according to a 2013 study, published in the Journal of Research in Personality. Researchers at Belgium's Ghent University found that birth order actually affects a child's lifelong goals. The eldest child, they found, wants to "master" or "learn," while the second child tends to want to "win." It certainly goes hand-in-hand with number one, doesn't it? Other studies have also shown firstborns (and only children) tend to pick more academic-oriented careers as compared to their younger siblings.

2. They Are Skinnier.

That same study that found firstborns are at risk for diabetes also found eldest children tend to be taller and slimmer than their younger siblings. Why? Scientists think it comes down to the mother's uterus -- which changes after her first pregnancy.

3. They're Bossy ... If They're Females.

Not only did researchers at the Southern California Child Study Center find bossiness to be more prevalent in firstborns, but they found it to be based on gender, with eldest girls more likely to be domineering than eldest boys.

4. They're More Prone To Asthma And Allergies.

Does your eldest child have breathing issues? It might be because of their birth order! According to research presented at the American Thoracic Society's 2008 International Conference, genes act differently in firstborn kids, particularly the genes responsible for asthma and allergies!

5. They Have It The Hardest.

Tougher on your oldest child? You're not alone! When psychologists from Duke University and Washington University tackled the topic of parental rules and birth order, they found earlier-born siblings are more likely to be subject to strict rules and parental monitoring and more likely to face harsh consequences for wrongdoing than younger siblings.

6. Organised Organisers

Having spent time watching their parents do things in a more organised way than younger ones would; and having been asked countless times to coordinate their younger siblings in observing siesta or getting ready for some activity or the other, firstborns tend to be organised in their personal space whether it’s in their side of the room/wardrobe, in their academics and at work, later in life. It’s no wonder they do well in leadership positions.

Yays or Nays?

3 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children by urbanfarmer(m): 5:58pm On Jul 19, 2017
Spot on! wink
BleSSedMee:
If you're a parent, chances are you've thought about birth order and how it affects your kids. Am I harder on my firstborn? Do my kids have a normal sibling relationship? Does the order in which the kids were born really matter in the long run?

Turns out it does. Scientists have done extensive studies on family make-up and how it affects not only how you parent, but your kids' health and personalities.

Is your oldest child a bit of a know-it-all? It could be because of their birth order. Firstborns really are born to learn, according to a 2013 study, published in the Journal of Research in Personality. Researchers at Belgium's Ghent University found that birth order actually affects a child's lifelong goals. The eldest child, they found, wants to "master" or "learn," while the second child tends to want to "win." It certainly goes hand-in-hand with number one, doesn't it? Other studies have also shown firstborns (and only children) tend to pick more academic-oriented careers as compared to their younger siblings.

2. They Are Skinnier.

That same study that found firstborns are at risk for diabetes also found eldest children tend to be taller and slimmer than their younger siblings. Why? Scientists think it comes down to the mother's uterus -- which changes after her first pregnancy.

Not only did researchers at the Southern California Child Study Center find bossiness to be more prevalent in firstborns, but they found it to be based on gender, with eldest girls more likely to be domineering than eldest boys.

Does your eldest child have breathing issues? It might be because of their birth order! According to research presented at the American Thoracic Society's 2008 International Conference, genes act differently in firstborn kids, particularly the genes responsible for asthma and allergies!

Tougher on your oldest child? You're not alone! When psychologists from Duke University and Washington University tackled the topic of parental rules and birth order, they found earlier-born siblings are more likely to be subject to strict rules and parental monitoring and more likely to face harsh consequences for wrongdoing than younger siblings.

6. Organised Organisers

Having spent time watching their parents do things in a more organised way than younger ones would; and having been asked countless times to coordinate their younger siblings in observing siesta or getting ready for some activity or the other, firstborns tend to be organised in their personal space whether it’s in their side of the room/wardrobe, in their academics and at work, later in life. It’s no wonder they do well in leadership positions.

Yays or Nays?

Re: Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 19, 2017
OP are you sure.
Sarrki is the first of 30 children
And him no manage to get sense.
grin

5 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 19, 2017
TarOrfeek:
OP are you sure. Sarrki is the first of 30 children And him no manage to get sense. grin

My hand nor dey o. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children by Mofpearl: 6:15pm On Jul 19, 2017
Nah for no 5.

Can relate to some though.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children by nowpresence(f): 6:51am On Jul 20, 2017
what about the Middle's. Almost similar experience.
Re: Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children by Nobody: 7:12am On Jul 20, 2017
nowpresence:
what about the Middle's. Almost similar experience.

Middle children tend to be good negotiators.

Very articulate and eloquent.

I'm talking from experience.

4 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children by nowpresence(f): 9:14am On Jul 20, 2017
BleSSedMee:

Middle children tend to be good negotiators.

Very articulate and eloquent.

I'm talking from experience.
good to know.
I will love to read articles on middle children as regards Nigeria and to read opinions from fellow middle children as to how they feel about it.
what they like and dislike about being a middle child.
Re: Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children by MistadeRegal(m): 10:04am On Nov 13, 2017
No.3 is absolutely true.

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children by OShepherd: 12:37am On Apr 15, 2018
BleSSedMee:

2. They Are Skinnier.

6. Organised Organisers

Yays or Nays?

Quite insightful!
Re: Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children by Katier00(f): 5:24pm On Apr 15, 2018
Totally agree with you
Re: Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children by lobell: 6:41am On Apr 26, 2018
That your number 2 haf spoil pata pata. It doesn't hold true anymore nowadays for many women because only themselves and God knows how many children they have washed away. The firstborn was washed away a very long time ago and more after him/her. That's why you see obese firstborn children these days.
Re: Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children by Nobody: 9:09am On May 26, 2018
BleSSedMee:

2. They Are Skinnier.

6. Organised Organisers

Yays or Nays?

I couldn't agree more. Except my younger bro is taller than I am these days.
Re: Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children by chival(f): 12:07am On Apr 17, 2021

2. They Are Skinnier.

6. Organised Organisers

Yays or Nays?

I am a first child and every single thing on that list applies to me. I'm amazed.
Re: Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children by Rekhi(f): 11:26pm On Apr 18, 2021
It's a nay for me!..i only agree with number 3,5 and 6....

(1) (Reply)

My Mother In Law Is Faking Sickness So She Can Move In My House With Her Twins G / An Understanding Of The Story Of The Man Beating His Wife Because Of A Dog / Relocation Sales (ibadan)... Check in Here!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.