Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,422 members, 7,808,513 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:54 PM

Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada - Career (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada (49274 Views)

5 Lucrative Careers You Can Excel In That Do Not Require A Degree / How Much Money Should I Save Before Quitting My Job? / Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by ogbevireo(m): 5:08pm On Jul 20, 2017
Ephetar:
Hi nairalanders please I am currently about taking a decision regarding my future. I am a 26 years old single guy. I currently work in a company where I earn between 400-500k monthly( salary, allowance and personal hustling)... Now the issue is that I am contemplating on travelling to Canada to study pharmacy with the intention of staying there permanently after school or do a professional MBA here in Nigeria with the aim of growing through the ranks in the pharmaceutical industry. Please I need your contributions...

NB; cost of obtaining a pharmacy degree in Canada is about 10M...Should I invest the money in a business?

Condider PR path for either Canada or Australia. When you get there you can study as a PR.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Jasperwhizz(m): 5:08pm On Jul 20, 2017
By his Grace I would advise you to invest first before taking any decision.... before you fly/leap you should look at where you would land. I.e you should have a backup in terms of money before leaving that lucrative job you are blessed to have now. I bet you there are many longing for it out there JESUS BLESS YOU AMEN.

add me on Facebook with Akinsuwa Mathew Afolabi so to chat you better.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by teemah21(f): 5:17pm On Jul 20, 2017
abeg I need a job too
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by humbleme99(f): 5:37pm On Jul 20, 2017
If you must leave naija make sure you Invest, invest, I repeat invest before leaving. grin grin You don't know what the future holds. And all that glitters is not gold.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Acecube(m): 5:47pm On Jul 20, 2017
400billionman:

I really do not know what people are doing with degrees.

The highest degrees, masters and Phd holders are working in Nigerian universities with average salaries of N100,000.

Some of them have been collecting half salary since January 2017 due to recession.

People lose sight of PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT. How many degrees does Bill Gates, Jack Ma, Warren Buffet and Mark Zuckerberg have ?

All this running around, is it not to have peace of mind and enough money to spend on future family ?

Invest in PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT, not PAPER DEVELOPMENT. If dem tell you the number of Nigerian degree certificates collecting dust inside peoples cupboards, you will know that paper is useless.

Bill Gates will say, " I read 50 books every year"..

No be exam book o..
are you an entrepreneur?
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by samofson: 8:43pm On Jul 20, 2017
IF you are coming to study Pharmacy and you intend to work as a pharmacist in Canada. I advise you to take the plunge.

you are young and have time on your side. there are a lot of openings for pharmacists in Canada . After graduation and training you can get a franchise deal with shoppers drug mart, IDA or any other franchise. After a few years you will be earning 4 times more that what you earn now and have a better quality of life.

Pharmacists make good money here especially those that run their own stores. no glock am ooo
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by kechywillz(m): 8:46pm On Jul 20, 2017
If I get ur kind of job. Am not traveling again
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by kabsedokenneth(m): 9:08pm On Jul 20, 2017
the thunder wey go fire that man still dey do press up and the second one just came back fro man U preseason match with anger
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by MrIcredible: 11:12pm On Jul 20, 2017
folakemigeh:
shocked 500K per month is much o...

While i envy your monthly take home, i will advice you to move out from the country and relocate to Canada for your studies.

There is nothing meaningful this country has to offer
Olodo oshi
There is nothing in a country where someone is earning 500k per month?
More reason why you're still Jobless...
Your mentality.

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by tifeoluwadhayour: 12:02am On Jul 21, 2017
Ephetar:
Hi nairalanders please I am currently about taking a decision regarding my future. I am a 26 years old single guy. I currently work in a company where I earn between 400-500k monthly( salary, allowance and personal hustling)... Now the issue is that I am contemplating on travelling to Canada to study pharmacy with the intention of staying there permanently after school or do a professional MBA here in Nigeria with the aim of growing through the ranks in the pharmaceutical industry. Please I need your contributions...

NB; cost of obtaining a pharmacy degree in Canada is about 10M...Should I invest the money in a business?

Plz I nid a job ASAP......call mi 07033891702
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by castro316: 4:39am On Jul 21, 2017
Oluwapresley:

Yes sir. I can. I drove for 2 years while on campus as the transport secretary of my fellowship and I was also very active at doing it and I'm currently working in on my Driver's licence.

I am looking for someone who will to public transport in lagos here. Where do you stay? Let's reason together
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by jidebabs8: 7:22am On Jul 21, 2017
Ephetar:

Bro, pls what is the name of the pharmacy industry you work. I'm a pharmacy student at the moment.At least for I.t and internships sake.Thank you.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by jobbers: 11:34am On Jul 21, 2017
think tru it
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 21, 2017
ogbevireo:

Condider PR path for either Canada or Australia. When you get there you can study as a PR.

What's a PR bro?
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Syphonn(m): 9:51pm On Jul 21, 2017
Oluwapresley:

I'm trying to fight the urge to say I NEED A JOB!! I guess the urge was way stronger. Pls, I need a job ASAP. I'm already going crazy! sigh

To your question; if the calculated risk of ur going to Canada to get a degree outweighs ur current income of 400-500k; what I mean is, if you have a solid long term plan that includes ur studying and getting degree in Canada and what u plan to do afterwards.. and if that plan outweighs ur current salary, then go for it! but if after getting the degree, u don't have any plan on what to do afterwards, then think again and again and again till u have a plan that outweighs ur current salary..
YOUR CAREER: TAKE A LEAP OF FAITH

Changing jobs is an important decision in anyone’s life. Before you take the leap, weigh all your options carefully and in an informed way.

Falz, one of the most respected and fast growing musicians in the Nigerian music industry. this wouldn't have been so if he had not decided to drop his LL.B with faith and leaped to what he had the passion for. coupled with his endorsements and also being an actor, he has made it in life. Living the life of his dreams.

The decision to resign from your job is not an easy one. You can wear yourself out by turning the doubts over and over in your mind: how do you know you are doing the right thing? What if it is just as bad at the next place,
read more at www.healthyfeedz.com
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by ogbevireo(m): 10:01pm On Jul 21, 2017
SnowJay92:

What's a PR bro?
Permanent residency.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by frank043(m): 12:14pm On Jul 22, 2017
Ephetar:

I would have said I'm very dissappointed in you, If I know you well enough!

My brother, you don't have to gamble with your future, and that of the future of your unborn kids, I'd advise you to step out of this country ASAP! You need to forget about that crap of "who will fix the country if we all get out"

Yes, you are paid 500k monthly, but NOTHING assures you of that job. Yes, folks will say invest in business here in Nigeria, and I dare you to try it and see what the current state of this entity, NIGERIA will turn it into.

My humble advice to you...

All the best!
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by frank043(m): 12:19pm On Jul 22, 2017
Oluwapresley:

Its not just about leaving the country u know? this is a decision that would directly or indirectly have a say in ur future. Its not just about leaving the country. Its also about what to do after leaving the country.. after getting the degree which is a good thing; what next? get a job. have u looked at the complexity in getting a job over there? if it pays as much as u currently earn here? Think of all these things.. and if u think its worth it, give it a shot! Or u could start up a business over here like u said.. Just think about it.. and then pray.. and seek advice from elderly people! people with grey hair..lol I'm Just 24 years old. those elderly people got wisdom! well, some of them. Just do ur home work and see wassup. and thanks for the kind wishes!!!! I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do!!!!! God bless, brother!!!

You are referring to grey hair as though that's a criterion for wisdom! You better change your mindset to the fact of wisdom, grey hair my foot!!
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Oluwapresley(m): 6:48pm On Jul 22, 2017
frank043:

You are referring to grey hair as though that's a criterion for wisdom! You better change your mindset to the fact of wisdom, grey hair my foot!!

How do you define wisdom, my friend? its the quality of being wise. and how does one get wise? Well, so many factors are responsible for a person's wisdom; however, just take a moment to think and you would see that wisdom and age most times go hand in hand.. the older you get, the wiser or the stupider you get.. wisdom and foolishness have a common factor and that's age..
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by frank043(m): 11:24pm On Jul 22, 2017
Oluwapresley:

How do you define wisdom, my friend? its the quality of being wise. and how does one get wise? Well, so many factors are responsible for a person's wisdom; however, just take a moment to think and you would see that wisdom and age most times go hand in hand.. the older you get, the wiser or the stupider you get.. wisdom and foolishness have a common factor and that's age..

My dear friend, next time read to understand, not just to reply. You emphasized on grey hair as though one without grey hair ain't wise. You can't compare an old man with grey hair all over, who has never left his community and who ain't stupid either, to a young man (without no single grey hair), who has toured the globe. Definitely, the later is wiser! So, if you are waiting for the former to advice you in this 21st century, my brother, you are in that category and will never step out of what you call comfort zone. Any idiot can have a grey hair, so don't tag it to wisdom.

No offence meant.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Oluwapresley(m): 11:36pm On Jul 22, 2017
frank043:

My dear friend, next time read to understand, not just to reply. You emphasized on grey hair as though one without grey hair ain't wise. You can't compare an old man with grey hair all over, who has never left his community and who ain't stupid either, to a young man (without no single grey hair), who has toured the globe. Definitely, the later is wiser! So, if you are waiting for the former to advice you in this 21st century, my brother, you are in that category and will never step out of what you call comfort zone. Any idiot can have a grey hair, so don't tag it to wisdom.

No offence meant.

no offence taken!! if you judge wisdom by the distance traveled by an individual, I rest my case then! I leave you with two cliches though; the older you become, the wiser or more foolish you become.. and a fool at 40 is a fool forever. look at those two statements and try to deduce whatever you can deduce from them. if u deduce rightly, you will see that age is a solid factor for wisdom.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by frank043(m): 11:45pm On Jul 22, 2017
Oluwapresley:

no offence taken!! if you judge wisdom by the distance traveled by an individual, I rest my case then! I leave you with two cliches though; the older you become, the wiser or more foolish you become.. and a fool at 40 is a fool forever. look at those two statements and try to deduce whatever you can deduce from them. if u deduce rightly, you will see that age is a solid factor for wisdom.

I don't need your cliches to make any deductions man! Ponder on what I told you if you wish to forge ahead in life positively. I don't need an old man who has never stepped out of the village to advise me on issues in this 21st century, just because he has grey hair... Grey hairs my foot!!
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by frank043(m): 11:51pm On Jul 22, 2017
Oluwapresley:

So, it's just distance travelled you are able to figure out? While he's touring the globe, he's meeting new people, experiencing different cultures, negotiating deals, studying, getting exposure, seeing different levels of infrastructure, tasting different mixes of wine and dishes at all levels... I will stick by this man's advice.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Oluwapresley(m): 12:16am On Jul 23, 2017
frank043:

So, it's just distance travelled you are able to figure out? While he's touring the globe, he's meeting new people, experiencing different cultures, negotiating deals, studying, getting exposure, seeing different levels of infrastructure, tasting different mixes of wine and dishes at all levels... I will stick by this man's advice.

and all what you mentioned, does it guarantee wisdom? smh! if it does, wizkid is probably amongst the top wisest people in Nigeria.. So I ask you bro, Wizkid has traveled the whole world, he has met people, he has taken different wines and all what you mentioned, do u sincerely think he is one of the wisest persons in Nigeria today?
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Oluwapresley(m): 12:21am On Jul 23, 2017
frank043:

all these things u mentioned; infrastructure, studying, meeting people etc. they only get u knowledge.. and trust me, stacking all the knowledge in the world don't give u wisdom. There is a big difference between wisdom, knowledge and understanding, bro. go figure!
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Gamesmart: 12:24am On Jul 23, 2017
Fame333:
Go for your degree in Canada after all you re still young..

Make hay when the sun shines

Whenever opportunity like this arise grab it ..

Your future is in the hand of God...you just paddle your boat to the right way and leave the rest to god.

You Dont know for how long this current job will last but you sure knows that after the degree there will be a bigger fish waiting for you.

How does he not know how long the current job will last but knows that after the degree there will be a bigger fish waiting for him?

Abeg explain.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Nobody: 8:23am On Jul 23, 2017
post=58736499:

How does he not know how long the current job will last but knows that after the degree there will be a bigger fish waiting for him?

Abeg explain.

You must be in your 20s I guessed?

After getting what it takes for you to fish, hook n sink (in his own case degree) ...you can be at d river with perseverance and focus,soon than later you will cash the biggerfish because you have prepared your way for it.

If and when d current job stop...is there any guarante that he will get another one with same take home?

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by frank043(m): 3:26pm On Jul 23, 2017
Oluwapresley:

all these things u mentioned; infrastructure, studying, meeting people etc. they only get u knowledge.. and trust me, stacking all the knowledge in the world don't give u wisdom. There is a big difference between wisdom, knowledge and understanding, bro. go figure!

Yes, I think I understand you now... Sitting put and praying gives you wisdom. Good luck to you!

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by frank043(m): 3:28pm On Jul 23, 2017
Oluwapresley:

and all what you mentioned, does it guarantee wisdom? smh! if it does, wizkid is probably amongst the top wisest people in Nigeria.. So I ask you bro, Wizkid has traveled the whole world, he has met people, he has taken different wines and all what you mentioned, do u sincerely think he is one of the wisest persons in Nigeria today?

I can see you are a devout fan of wizkid. Stick by him. Good luck to you.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Gamesmart: 6:16pm On Jul 23, 2017
ITbomb:
Truth is N500k buys you better life here in Nigeria than there where half will go to tax.

Why not get an online or part time degree if just you want is a Pharm D but even if you just wan go stay for Canada, gather like 10m to 15m so that you don't start with struggling over there

You will NEVER get a better life in Nigeria under any circumstances.

The quality of life in Nigeria is extremely poor.

The only things you can get in Nigeria better than a place like Canada are: Self-importance and savings.

NOT a better life.

Don't let Evans ever hear you say that kin rubbish again. He would advice you to get DSS escort and bullet proof car if you no wan see him.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Gamesmart: 6:19pm On Jul 23, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

When you are through with your degree in canada and get a job there, you will be earning far above $150,000 per annum, this is above N4mil per month in naira equivalent. You can even make more than your current Nigerian salary while doing unskilled jobs at Canada while you school.

Save your future and that of your unborn kids; you are young and no family to tie you down. N400k is not that lucrative; convert it to dollars and you will realize you are not making that much; but to Nigerian standards, its fine.

Leave this gaddam country abeg.

How did you come up with this NONSENSE?
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Gamesmart: 7:35pm On Jul 23, 2017
Jaqenhghar:
Most peopelle here are foolish. So having money automatically means your quality of life is better.
Living in Canada your quality of life is better. Here in this shithole the more money you have means more wahala.
More looking over your shoulder
Increase in the rick of you getting robbed/kidnapped( most likely by the security operatives.
Anywhere you go peope tax you
Plus you spend huge amounts of money to get your basic needs what you will normally get almost free in foreign countries.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

800k At Hand, Do I Travel Abroad For Greener Pasture Or Start Up A Biz Here? / The Working Condition At Huawei Nigeria: Reason Behind #HuaweiNigeria On Twitter / How A Wall Gecko Shattered My Relationship & Got Me Sacked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.