Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,614 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:14 AM

Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada (49172 Views)

5 Lucrative Careers You Can Excel In That Do Not Require A Degree / How Much Money Should I Save Before Quitting My Job? / Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Nigercorper(m): 10:40am On Jul 20, 2017
jaychubi:
500k per month, u can go to wherever n bless another applicant with this job, somebody somewhere has been praying for this kinda job like forever cool cool
Op said the 500k is with other hustle
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Smooyis(m): 10:42am On Jul 20, 2017
Go and marry and settle down. You are growing. shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by M2dX(m): 10:42am On Jul 20, 2017
Ephetar:
Hi nairalanders please I am currently about taking a decision regarding my future. I am a 26 years old single guy. I currently work in a company where I earn between 400-500k monthly( salary, allowance and personal hustling)... Now the issue is that I am contemplating on travelling to Canada to study pharmacy with the intention of staying there permanently after school or do a professional MBA here in Nigeria with the aim of growing through the ranks in the pharmaceutical industry. Please I need your contributions...

NB; cost of obtaining a pharmacy degree in Canada is about 10M...Should I invest the money in a business?

. And some of us are still struggling with 30k job. Chai.

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by segunexcellence(m): 10:43am On Jul 20, 2017
My brother, even though if you bag a first class degree in pharmacy from the best university in Canada, getting a job is hundred percent guaranteed. In the same vein, obtaining a degree irrespective of how much you spend to acquire without working with it is HIGHLY FRUSTRATING. You might not have experienced that because you're currently working. It is now very common for you to see brilliant people with Ph.Ds, M.Sc. and the likes trained both locally and internationally and yet without job or taking a 'peanut' as salary.
Due to your age and being not yet married, it appears your earnings surpasses needs.
Thank God for your life that you have hit such fortune as early at age 26. Although, you never made it clear in your write up maybe you're graduate or not, but from what i have learnt form reality of life, if you manage your money and invest it wisely all things being equal, before you clock 40 you would have been employing graduates. You don't have to settle in Canada before you become billionaire. Most of the renowned business magnates we have in Nigeria made their wealth from Nigeria and not from Canada or US. You may enjoy the best comfort of life in Canada, but the best place to build wealth is in Nigeria.
If i am to be in your shoe, i will take both online and local university courses related to my field in order to build up myself. Continue earning my fat salary with a prospect of establishing my own business.

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Zelex9(m): 10:45am On Jul 20, 2017
smartkester:
boss we all are not the same.. What worked for mR A can't work for MR B.. With a 500k jab in Nigerian, i repeat with a 500k jab in Nigerian. A wise man can utilise it judiciously and become a multi-millionaire. The problem is just that so many Nigerians are too naive they believe the so called abroad is there land flowing with milk and honey. VERY WRONG MENTALITY

I agree and also find this so bizarre in 2017 with the amount information available. I was born and bred in Britain, only lived in Nigeria for 13 months during my NYSC, so I am not as familiar with the Nigerian mentality but I believe this fault is largely to due with what those in diaspora is telling them (portraying a false utopia). Ask yourself this how many people do you know abroad have come back home to build a house? or is this "land of paradise" based on some instagram photos?

I'm not discouraging anyone from travelling but people need to sit down and critically evaluate what they want to achieve form this life? is travelling the only way route?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Bwaal(m): 10:46am On Jul 20, 2017
Ab025:
If you have the fund, go for your education....its always a good addition in future

By the way, I need a job, kindly link me up please!

grin grin grin
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Snowstorm: 10:46am On Jul 20, 2017
Forget about the big things oh
Say make we talk about the small things oh
Eh Aye aye oh, aye o pe meji oh
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Nobody: 10:47am On Jul 20, 2017
Some people no get sense, extremely stupid. I don't believe these lies jor rubbish
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 20, 2017
EmekaBlue:
who else thinks this guy is lying? undecided and how the hell did this get to FP......Nairaland and kid mods are like 5&6

We see lies here every day, its not new

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 10:50am On Jul 20, 2017
400billionman:

I really do not know what people are doing with degrees.

The highest degrees, masters and Phd holders are working in Nigerian universities with average salaries of N100,000.

Some of them have been collecting half salary since January 2017 due to recession.

People lose sight of PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT. How many degrees does Bill Gates, Jack Ma, Warren Buffet and Mark Zuckerberg have ?

All this running around, is it not to have peace of mind and enough money to spend on future family ?

Invest in PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT, not PAPER DEVELOPMENT. If dem tell you the number of Nigerian degree certificates collecting dust inside peoples cupboards, you will know that paper is useless.

Bill Gates will say, " I read 50 books every year"..

No be exam book o..
Bro, you have said it all. As one of my lecturer do say, don't rush to do MSc if you aren't going into lecturing. Get experience which will help you before getting your Msc. Moreover education is beyond certificate, which is paper based.

A family friend of mine suggested I should go to Canada to do work and study since am still searching for a job. I told him, let us wait till the end of this year. I just believe I will get a good job and from there invest in other businesses. There are business opportunities in Nigeria. I believe so much in this country, even if I should leave Nigeria for greener pasture. In 5 or 10years time I must come back to Nigeria. I want to keep in touch with Nigeria and contribute my quota to my country.

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 20, 2017
dustydee:

I have quoted my comment above. Show me a good school in America where they don't request for at least 3 years work experience. If you have 3 years work experience in McDonalds and the school finds you a good fit for their program, then they are likely to admit you. McDonalds is not all about flipping burgers.
Your point highlighted simply means it is no a "good" school. Check employment report of all good MBA programs in the us and you'll see that for most programs, over 80% of graduates have jobs or start their own businesses within 3 months of graduating.
In the last FT ranking, 51 US MBA programs were in the top 100. Only 4 had employment report below 80% after 3 months of graduation.

Sir how many Nigerians are going to Ivy league schools in the US? Also be careful with those figures. What you don't see is what I have seen up close. A person may have been working a job for 15 years, but company policy changes and they want the person to get an MBA to justify why the person is getting a high salary. The person then enrolls in a program, obtains the degree and the job is advertised. People interview for the job, but they don't realize someone else is already guaranteed the job. It's just smoke and mirrors.

I didn't even realize such things happen, until I was actually employed in such a manner. My degree is another field, but the interview process was a sham, because the company was only waiting for me to get my degree. They kept interviewing to make it seem legitimate. Statistics would show I got the job simply due to obtaining the degree and it's not true. Unfortunately for one of my associates who obtained a MBA and MPH, the jobs never came. After working at one of the local hospitals, she realized she never had a chance because of a similar setup. The same people had been working in administration for years, but industry standards were changing. The company was sending the staff back for degrees while advertising fake vacancies.

If the op pursues a pharmacy degree such things are less likely and he could potentially open a pharmacy, if all else fails.

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by TOPCRUISE(m): 10:53am On Jul 20, 2017
taylor88:
N500k?

village people Nigeria ltd

in association with Native doctorship plc

Featuring Amadioha and sons
And association of Nigerian witches
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by bibe(m): 10:54am On Jul 20, 2017
Get the admission, then the visa and ask the question again.

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Lizy100: 10:55am On Jul 20, 2017
G
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by sircrabo: 10:58am On Jul 20, 2017
0b100100111:
If you re raking in 500k monthly in Nigeria! You re as good as staying back!

It's not a topic worth discussing.

But I did still advice you travel and see the actual reality on ground so you don't base your decision on hearsay.

This is the best advice from my opinion. Its good he travels for aDegree and see the outsid world as there is no better time to travel than when young but 500k/month isn't bad. I know people who relocated back to nigeria and aren't even earning that much yet they are happy they aren't hiding from immigration.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by YelloweWest: 11:00am On Jul 20, 2017
Op, sense fall on you...

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Nobody: 11:03am On Jul 20, 2017
Ephetar:
Hi nairalanders please I am currently about taking a decision regarding my future. I am a 26 years old single guy. I currently work in a company where I earn between 400-500k monthly( salary, allowance and personal hustling)... Now the issue is that I am contemplating on travelling to Canada to study pharmacy with the intention of staying there permanently after school or do a professional MBA here in Nigeria with the aim of growing through the ranks in the pharmaceutical industry. Please I need your contributions...

NB; cost of obtaining a pharmacy degree in Canada is about 10M...Should I invest the money in a business?

Oga chairman my advice u are old enough to use ur brain and think...26 years old is not a small pikin...stop seeking for irrelevant advice here...

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by 4dor: 11:04am On Jul 20, 2017
Ephetar:

Thanks a lot...The issue is that I just wanna leave this country for good...And since am already in the pharma industry I want to simply get a Pharm.D and work as a pharmacist in Canada... You will get a good job soon...

Just go to Canada through Express Entry.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by tete7000(m): 11:04am On Jul 20, 2017
Oluwapresley:

Its not just about leaving the country u know? this is a decision that would directly or indirectly have a say in ur future. Its not just about leaving the country. Its also about what to do after leaving the country.. after getting the degree which is a good thing; what next? get a job. have u looked at the complexity in getting a job over there? if it pays as much as u currently earn here? Think of all these things.. and if u think its worth it, give it a shot! Or u could start up a business over here like u said.. Just think about it.. and then pray.. and seek advice from elderly people! people with grey hair..lol I'm Just 24 years old. those elderly people got wisdom! well, some of them. Just do ur home work and see wassup. and thanks for the kind wishes!!!! I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do!!!!! God bless, brother!!!

Your advice shows you get wisdom. It is one of the best the guy can get. By the way, age doesnt necessarily correlate with wisdom.. There are many grey hair people out there who some 5yr old children are wiser than. Check through posts on nairaland to further confirm that.
Check what Job32: 8-9 has to say about that:
"But it is the spirit [in a man, the
breath of the Almighty, that gives him
understanding It is not only the old who are wise, not only the aged who understand what is right."

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by obi3rize: 11:05am On Jul 20, 2017
you can lie.500k??
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by obi3rize: 11:05am On Jul 20, 2017
you can lie.infact you lie pass lie-mohamed .I wonder why people just like writing rubbish on nairaland.if u like go and do the degree in jamica .e no concern us Mr Linus.

2 Likes

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by MissRaine69(f): 11:05am On Jul 20, 2017
Ephetar:

Nothing is guaranteed in life, it's all about taking risks
Have you got a visa , university place already?
You staying in Canada after your studies is not guaranteed either. Why not opt for South Africa as a way of reducing your expenditures?
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by pweetiedee(m): 11:07am On Jul 20, 2017
Hi, Op, have you finally found your true love?
https://www.nairaland.com/3120664/search-love
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Donbabaj: 11:11am On Jul 20, 2017
Guy, I'll advise you go for it. You are already becoming a man, you are not getting younger either. Ask yourself, can i invest 10million naira in Nigeria economy as of today and still earn make adequate profit with the high cost of living in Nigeria. I guess your answer is as good as mine. May be you don't know that Its your kind of reputable profession that they looking for in countries like Canada, meaning you'll definitely get a job if that is your fear. Its only if you are lazy to study hard and work hard to come of with good grades then would i say there might be issues. I had a friend who traveled to Canada for a Ms.c in finance related course for 1 year and came out with a first class. This same friend immediately was employed in the same school as a part time lecturer and also working in a reputable organization today. You can even come back to Nigeria to work as an Expatriate if you so wish. To be frank, i'm also planning to take such a decision too but still saving for it. It is only people who has not traveled abroad before or the lazy ones that are over there would say things are hard abroad. Don't mind them, they are enemy of progress like some leaders of our great country Nigeria.

Coincidentally, my monthly take home also falls within the same range with yours. Thus, not looking for Job for now.
Friend, Its time to take the bull by the horn and move on.

5 Likes

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by rinzylee(m): 11:13am On Jul 20, 2017
Ephetar:

sent you an email, could you please reply with a "hello" so we can talk better.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by dustydee: 11:15am On Jul 20, 2017
FortuneTeller:

Sir how many Nigerians are going to Ivy league schools in the US? Also be careful with those figures. What you don't see is what I have seen up close. A person may have been working a job for 15 years, but company policy changes and they want the person to get an MBA to justify why the person is getting a high salary. The person then enrolls in a program, obtains the degree and the job is advertised. People interview for the job, but they don't realize someone else is already guaranteed the job. It's just smoke and mirrors.

I didn't even realize such things happen, until I was actually employed in such a manner. My degree is another field, but the interview process was a sham, because the company was only waiting for me to get my degree. They kept interviewing to make it seem legitimate. Statistics would show I got the job simply due to obtaining the degree and it's not true. Unfortunately for one of my associates who obtained a MBA and MPH, the jobs never came. After working at one of the local hospitals, she realized she never had a chance because of a similar setup. The same people had been working in administration for years, but industry standards were changing. The company was sending the staff back for degrees while advertising fake vacancies.

If the op pursues a pharmacy degree such things are less likely and he could potentially open a pharmacy, if all else fails.

To each his own. We seem to be talking about different things. A company will likely send it's staff on an EMBA if they are paying. Which school did your associate do his/her MBA? As I mentioned earlier one thing they emphasize is networking. More than 70% of jobs are not advertised, that's where the school's Alumni is very valuable. If I attend Kellogs for example, I will have access to their alumni network from where I can make contacts and probably land a job. Or I can find those that attended the same school on linkedin and network with them. There is no guarantee but I'll take an MBA from a top school any day than a masters except if I want to remain in the technical or academic line.
That many Nigerians are not going to IVY league schools is down to our mentality. Some get intimidated easily or not willing to put in the shift. Some are also on the lookout for shortcuts, which probably is the case with your associates. I WILL NOT GO TO THE US FOR A MEDIOCRE MBA!
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by sircrabo: 11:15am On Jul 20, 2017
cheemahking:
This story is as stupid and fake as the people advising him, he's 26 and is been paid 500k per month, I repeat 26, first things first, am in the pharmacueticle line, and for that freaking age, it's almost entirely impossible to earn dat much, u jus a fresher, even if your dad owns the coy, so please don't come here and post fake trash for real people....

My bro/sis, we know the story might not be true. We are just advicing based on what he told us. Imagine ur bro earns that much and comes to you for advice, what will you tell him
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by jojolegal: 11:18am On Jul 20, 2017
think well bro
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Nobody: 11:19am On Jul 20, 2017
dustydee:

To each his own. We seem to be talking about different things. A company will likely send it's staff on an EMBA if they are paying. Which school did your associate do his/her MBA? As I mentioned earlier one thing they emphasize is networking. More than 70% of jobs are not advertised, that's where the school's Alumni is very valuable. If I attend Kellogs for example, I will have access to their alumni network from where I can make contacts and probably land a job. Or I can find those that attended the same school on linkedin and network with them. There is no guarantee but I'll take an MBA from a top school any day than a masters except if I want to remain in the technical or academic line.
That many Nigerians are not going to IVY league schools is down to our mentality. Some get intimidated easily or not willing to put in the shift. Some are also on the lookout for shortcuts, which probably is the case with your associates. I WILL NOT GO TO THE US FOR A MEDIOCRE MBA!

So why are you advising your brother to do an MBA in Canada instead of securing a more secure job as a pharmacist?
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Donbabaj: 11:20am On Jul 20, 2017
pweetiedee:
Hi, Op, have you finally found your true love?

https://www.nairaland.com/3120664/search-love

See them, dem don dey line up for queue 1 by 1. 10million naira for the account. grin

Is the Op asking for Love?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Police Officer Holds A Plate Of Food For His Madam In Viral Video (Pictures) / Pretty Female Barber At A Lagos Saloon (Photos) / Vincent Izunna And Valentine Ewudo: Twin Brothers Who Are Both Nurses In US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.