Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,368 members, 7,781,006 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:22 AM

Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada (49063 Views)

5 Lucrative Careers You Can Excel In That Do Not Require A Degree / How Much Money Should I Save Before Quitting My Job? / Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by swegiedon(m): 1:38pm On Jul 20, 2017
sukkot:
go and learn a skill. go learn how to make shoes. people will always need shoes
lmao.it seems the guy don't know there's a paradigm shift about education now.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by successincentiv(m): 1:44pm On Jul 20, 2017
Please don't ever try to quit that job.

I will repeat again, don't quit that job.

Going to school is not the most important thing in life. Be be educated.

Through that job, you can start up any business you want to.

Establish your own company first.

You can still go to Canada later.

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by collele(m): 1:46pm On Jul 20, 2017
[quote author=henryhemon post=58650923]

Not all of them pay that well especially local NGO's. [/quot
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by adegeye38(m): 1:47pm On Jul 20, 2017
Ephetar:
Hi nairalanders please I am currently about taking a decision regarding my future. I am a 26 years old single guy. I currently work in a company where I earn between 400-500k monthly( salary, allowance and personal hustling)... Now the issue is that I am contemplating on travelling to Canada to study pharmacy with the intention of staying there permanently after school or do a professional MBA here in Nigeria with the aim of growing through the ranks in the pharmaceutical industry. Please I need your contributions...

NB; cost of obtaining a pharmacy degree in Canada is about 10M...Should I invest the money in a business?

Invest the money in these sectors and you will become a billionaire in no time

Agriculture (this can be divided into hundreds of categories)

Entertainment

Media- (can be divided into lots of categories)

Oil and gas

Manufacturing- (can be divided into lots of categories)

Telecommunications

Real Estate

Learning Institutions

Construction

Contractor

ICT- (can be divided into hundreds of categories)

SALES AND MARKETING

Transportation- (can be divided into lots of categories)

and lots more

put God first

All these are possible if you are an astute and wise
ENTREPRENEUR.......
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by jonnyjustcome22: 1:55pm On Jul 20, 2017
U better look for a part time course here better still go to open university and forget about Canada of a thing. Look for a good business u can invest ur money. U better don't forfeit ur good job under the guise of Canada degree. I have friend that travel abroad and came back to regret it. U can go and spend ur holiday but not to the expense of loosing ur job
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by realitynaija: 1:56pm On Jul 20, 2017
Pharmacy is a good career in Canada and with little experience you could earn much more easily than what you presently earn in Nigeria. Also, the job/career stability prospect, with age on your side, is higher in Canada. I advice you choose Canada if you have the schooling fund, the investment is worth it. I will however advice you choose professional certification in pharmacy in Canada rather than the degree instead. This may enhance your chances in Canada of settling in faster than a degree, since you already have one in Nigeria.[color=#000099][/color]
Best of luck.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by sonnie10: 1:56pm On Jul 20, 2017
Ephetar:
Hi nairalanders please I am currently about taking a decision regarding my future. I am a 26 years old single guy. I currently work in a company where I earn between 400-500k monthly( salary, allowance and personal hustling)... Now the issue is that I am contemplating on travelling to Canada to study pharmacy with the intention of staying there permanently after school or do a professional MBA here in Nigeria with the aim of growing through the ranks in the pharmaceutical industry. Please I need your contributions...

Note ; cost of obtaining a pharmacy degree in Canada is #10M. Should I invest the money in a business?

First, #10M is not enough .
Op, from what you wrote it seems you are not yet a pharmacist in Nigeria but you have other degree. If that is the case, it means you are going to Canada to start as a freshman or transfer student.

In either case, you would spend at least 4 more years in school. All you are coming with is a student visa. How do intend to pay for tuition, fees and living expenses.

#10M would not go anywhere. If you divide that amount by 4years, that would be #2.5 M you would have, for expenses yearly. Meaning about #200 thousand a month.

In terms of dollars equivalent, #200k is about $500 at your disposal, monthly. Which is not even enough for just school lunch.
Now my questions is, how do you intend to survive. Remember, you do not have work permit.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Eno38151: 2:12pm On Jul 20, 2017
Ephetar:

NB; cost of obtaining a pharmacy degree in Canada is about 10M...Should I invest the money in a business?

Have you ever heard of online degrees??

As they say, "for the want of a needle, a horseshoe was lost"

Don't leave the certain 4 something uncertain.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 20, 2017
Jaqenhghar:

You see some of these things you speak of is evidence of backward thinking.
Is it wrong for a man who can afford comfort to choose to live in that comfort?
If people are intimidated by his wealth then maybe its their fault for having a low-self esteem and being intimidated. For me I dont think anyone can intimidate me because he has more than me . I can be put off by bad behaviour but not because someone is enjoying his life esp where thay person is enjoying the fruits of his hard work.

well, your free to do whatever you want, wear gold & diamond chains if you wish. As for me even if i become richer than bilgates & mark combined, i will be much more humble & down to earth than them. Those people are some of the richest in the whole world but they NEVER SHOW OFF. They come out as normal & very approcahable humans. I want to be like that, instead of a bling bling asshole that flaunts cars, dollars & mansions on Instagram plus peoples face grin
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Jaqenhghar: 2:20pm On Jul 20, 2017
Jiang:

well, your free to do whatever you want, wear gold & diamond chains if you wish. As for me even if i become richer than bilgates & mark combined, i will be much more humble & down to earth than them. Those people are some of the richest in the whole world but they NEVER SHOW OFF. They come out as normal & very approcahable humans. I want to be like that, instead of a bling bling asshole that flaunts cars, dollars & mansions on Instagram plus peoples face grin
Oga this is your opinion and you are entitled to it. Its their money. When you become a billionare too U can choose to live under a bridge because you dont want to show off. Or you can pack the money and set it on fire no one will query you or arrest you.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by planetx: 2:23pm On Jul 20, 2017
I will not quit a 500k a year job with growth opportunities for no Canada, USA or whatever else oyinbo country is in vogue. The average black man always thinks the white man ice is colder
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jul 20, 2017
dustydee:

Exactly the mentality I talked about earlier. "Think you can or think you can't either way you are right". I guess the over 80% of MBA graduates in the report that had offers were lying.
Nigerians need to believe in themselves and strive to be the best they can be.
Enjoy the rest of your day.

Enjoy your day before you lead someone down the wrong path.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by jpphilips(m): 2:39pm On Jul 20, 2017
You won't have a 500k job when you return from Canada.

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 20, 2017
Jaqenhghar:

Oga this is your opinion and you are entitled to it. Its their money. When you become a billionare too U can choose to live under a bridge because you dont want to show off. Or you can pack the money and set it on fire no one will query you or arrest you.

You rephrased what i said earlier
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 20, 2017
Jaqenhghar:

You just rephrased what i said earlier
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by sukkot: 3:13pm On Jul 20, 2017
swegiedon:

lmao.it seems the guy don't know there's a paradigm shift about education now.
exactly. a paradigm shift. all that masters and phd dont work no more. its all about skills. well some folks take longer to catch on to the shift but they will eventually after 10 years of unemployment grin
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by dheilaw1(m): 3:18pm On Jul 20, 2017
it's obvious you are suffering from malady
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by swegiedon(m): 3:19pm On Jul 20, 2017
sukkot:
exactly. a paradigm shift. all that masters and phd dont work no more. its all about skills. well some folks take longer to catch on to the shift but they will eventually after 10 years of unemployment grin
hehehe
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Erums(m): 3:20pm On Jul 20, 2017
5DMindset:
500k monthly is not money in today's Nigeria economy with 17% inflation and 4% interest rate on average on savings account. Remember it is less than $2000.

Proceed to Canada and live a better life with clean air devoid of generator noise. After your education you will earn not less than $2500 in Canada and marry a less narcissist wife that has no family problems and mental issues.

Personally, my monthly expenses surpasses that salary.

By the way I make way more than you are making but the cost of running 24/7 gen and staff salaries and recurring expenses clocks over 500k monthly. So take my advise and move at the speed of light. Coz 500k is not money and you know it. Those who don't earn that think it's money. It is not.

Hello
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Ugosample(m): 3:39pm On Jul 20, 2017
erico2k2:

There was a reason this person you quoted wrote what they did, If you have followed this OP B4, You will know this story is fake

Oh okay, my bad.

But what is the profit in formulating fake stories tho?
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Oluwapresley(m): 3:51pm On Jul 20, 2017
Donbabaj:

lol.. I get. I just learnt something today. thanks.. I see my mistake.. let me rephrase.. And I'm currently working on my driver's licence. thanks
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Ugosample(m): 3:58pm On Jul 20, 2017
Ephetar:
Sorry guys I have not able to reply to your comments.. Have been busy @ work....For those doubting that I don't make up to 500k a month, let me clear your doubts... My salary plus allowances is about 192kk and the least I make on the field is 200k monthly...on very good months with plenty sales and enough mark up, I can make 500k on the field alone....ask any pharma rep U know he will tell u more... BTW I work for one of the biggest pharma company in Nigeria... Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.... I'll wiegh my options... Thanks guys..

Cc;
Erico2k2
ChibuzorAbia
Ugosample
Henryhemon
Salamrushdie

Ok bro
Good luck with your plans o
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by chidekings(m): 4:00pm On Jul 20, 2017
bibe:
Get the admission, then the visa and ask the question again.
Na that one be the koko
Make Canada first gree give him visa

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Lakesandspring: 4:09pm On Jul 20, 2017
[quote author=Ephetar post=58632322]Hi nairalanders please I am currently about taking a decision regarding my future. I am a 26 years old single guy. I currently work in a company where I earn between 400-500k monthly( salary, allowance and personal hustling)... Now the issue is that I am contemplating on travelling to Canada to study pharmacy with the intention of staying there permanently after school or do a professional MBA here in Nigeria with the aim of growing through the ranks in the pharmaceutical industry. Please I need your contributions...

Go on and study abroad. You've got age on your side. Besides what you are earning now may not be sustainable in the near future so it's a good decision to study further. Think about the future benefits rather than what you earn now.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jul 20, 2017
I was confronted with the same issue in the past: Good salary and pretty decent but routine job in Nigeria. I was clearly not satisfied, I wanted more from life. When presented with the opportunity of a fully funded graduate program in US, I jumped at it without regard to the outcome, and I'd do the same thing again. Those who told you that foreign trained graduates in Nigeria can't get a job wants you to play safe. You should listen to them if you're okay with your present conditions.

My point being you're the captain of your life's ship, and no one could argue with whatever choice you make here. Don't rely on strangers to make decisions for you because they may have their own agenda. A case in point, some here wants you to jet out so you can free up jobs. However, you may ask strangers pertinent questions that'll help you come to the best possible conclusion about your decision making. You should ask questions like: 'What are the job prospects for pharmacists in Canada?', 'Can one get permanent residency in Canada after MSc/PhD?', 'Does having foreign MSc/PhD in Pharmacy helps job hunting in Nigeria?, 'Is N500k salary good enough?', 'How does one get fully funded MSc/PhD in Canada?'

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 20, 2017
If u are able to get in to study and work as a pharmacist in Canada,then 500k will be nothing to you cos health care pays very well.doctors,phamarcists even nurses smile to the bank.Meanwhile, I won't sugar coat it for u...it might not be easy getting a job as a pharmacist to practise or even qualifying as one.Have seen a doctor from naija that worked in a grocery store.it took ds individual some years to brush up his paali,write some exams..passed before he was eligible to practise..now his smiling (most pple won't know his story,dey will only see him making money as a doctor).so be prepared for the Good,the bad and the ugly.it will be challenging but if i are ever able to practice...as a pharmacist...that 500k will be chicken change to u.whatever u do,try to be in d health sector lane,It is more rewarding than almost every other sector of the Canadian economy.
That aside,d rate pple with good paying job in naija are quitting to move to Canada is alarming o...i have seen some couple recently ...pple are risking certainty for uncertainty.some argue they had to do it for d future of their kids cos they lost hope in d future.it is alarming I have to say.

3 Likes

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by bigfrancis21: 4:28pm On Jul 20, 2017
Ephetar:

First, I don't mean to discourage you but the thing about Canada is that their residency is easy to obtain but job prospects in the long run are quite very slim. The Canadian economy isn't as buoyant as that of the US.

Second, I must be honest with you you have a solid source of income going on for you and I would not recommend that you abandon your system all in the name of going abroad. There is a category of people I would recommend going abroad and those to not go abroad. Those who are very hard working but yet don't have anything to show for it in Nigeria and who also don't have any hopes of enjoying a middle-class lifestyle in Nigeria despite their efforts and toils, I recommend yes, go abroad if you can. Life abroad rewards hard working people with a middle-class lifestyle - a car, house, secure job, security, best of amenities etc. (all these are not free, you pay for them), however, for those who are entrepreneurial or have solid systems in place already going for them in Nigeria, it would be folly to pack up your systems all in the name of going abroad, because for every immigrant life abroad starts from scratch and you need about 3 to 5 years to catch up with others (financially, residency wise, educationally, credit wise etc.). For some people it may even take as long as 10 years, depending on how focused/determined you are. Whereas with the same 5 to 10 years ahead invested in Nigeria from where you currently are, you could expand your pharmaceutical business as you intend into a multi-million naira venture or expand through the pharmaceutical industry. In addition, you can always visit Canada, the US etc and stay as long as you want and enjoy the best of both worlds. At that point 5 to 10 years you'd be better off than your counterparts abroad in terms of how much income you get to keep in your pocket (less taxation in Nigeria). In case you don't know, taxes abroad are quite high and the federal government keeps a substantial amount of your earnings. For example, you earn the same amount as your friend abroad but you keep way more than they get to keep due to difference in taxation. My recommendation? You are doing very good already in Nigeria to fold up all in the name of going abroad only to start life all over and spend the next 3 to 5 or 10 years starting all over. Keep investing and expanding financially from where you stand right now and visit Canada/US/UK as many times as you want.

In the end, the decision is yours to make.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by JerryJude(m): 4:33pm On Jul 20, 2017
Ephetar:

bro as a young man of 26 age still on ur side, if u can comfortable afford the 10M go for it, Pharmacy is a lucrative job all over the globe, after the study whether u stay there to practice or come back to naija,even in other country u will be hotcake so long u devolt ur for some area of specialty in that ur career and become extremely good it. my senior colleague in the office network and security specialist resigned two weeks ago going for a php programme abroad
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 20, 2017
Also are u sure 10m will be enough to complete your schooling? I will recommend u do your research about the cost factor well.cos a typical undergrad program cost around 13,500 to 15k Canadian dollars for 1 year tuition for an international student.the likes of pharmacy and medicine cost way more...students take lines of credit of 100k to 150k to study these program.I am sure of medicine as regards cost. Are u sure it is not phamarcy technician that is bn offered to u as pharmacy?
After schooling ...u may not even be able to practise cos u will have to battle for your PR first to stay permanently in d country(or what d point of doing all dat and den end up back in naija?)...there are a lot of factors u have to weigh...May God help u.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 20, 2017
I think you should go for the simple fact that my neighbor use to frown in Nigeria despite having a lovely family a good job and a lovely car but started smiling in Canada when he relocated with his family.I don't know what changed but money is not everything your happiness first.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by pato405(m): 4:44pm On Jul 20, 2017
ikp120:
This is what happens when your village witches mark you for demolition.

Oga stop being greedy. Run your program here in Nigeria. I wasted [b]2 good years [/b]of my life doing the same nonsense you want to do now. Most times I wish I listened to people who advised me not to.

Bros, your own good! mine was 4yrs. My eye clear brakatatabroka when I realized my error. Some advised me against it, I didn't listen. They simply came across as enemies of progress. I'm now grappling to pick my pieces. What I make now is far less than what I was making then despite having more foreign certifications. Very costly mistake and so painful. I just pity OP.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Acecube(m): 5:04pm On Jul 20, 2017
5DMindset:
500k monthly is not money in today's Nigeria economy with 17% inflation and 4% interest rate on average on savings account. Remember it is less than $2000.

Proceed to Canada and live a better life with clean air devoid of generator noise. After your education you will earn not less than $2500 in Canada and marry a less narcissist wife that has no family problems and mental issues.

Personally, my monthly expenses surpasses that salary.

By the way I make way more than you are making but the cost of running 24/7 gen and staff salaries and recurring expenses clocks over 500k monthly. So take my advise and move at the speed of light. Coz 500k is not money and you know it. Those who don't earn that think it's money. It is not.
please which field are you into Biko and what course did u read sir

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Aliyu Giwa: People Look At Me With Disgust When I Queue Up For BRT / Adeola Ogunmola Sowemimo Flies Boeing 787 Dreamliner Aircraft / Police Officer Holds A Plate Of Food For His Madam In Viral Video (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.