Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,692 members, 7,805,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:10 AM

Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria (48197 Views)

Don’t Be Fooled: Senate Releases Names Of 42 Banned Malaria Drugs / Senate Releases Names Of Banned Anti-malaria Medicines / 42 Anti-malaria Drugs Banned In EU, But Still Sold In Nigeria Markets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria by Sexina851(f): 10:56am On Jul 20, 2017
moses93:
though I always has malaria but haven't heard of any of these fake drugs o. TRAMADOL tinz.

Does tramadol cure malaria for you?
Re: Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria by iamtardey: 11:40am On Jul 20, 2017
what about zulicakhihabuzuliparquin 100 & 200 mg? undecided
Re: Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria by uchman46(m): 12:03pm On Jul 20, 2017
stepo707:
How do they enter the country?
lol if you ask me na who I go ask
Re: Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria by Banbasil: 12:11pm On Jul 20, 2017
makahlj2:
What is this madness? These drugs are either Amodiaquine or derivatives of Artemisinine, whose discoverer got Nobel's Prize as recently as in 2015, if I remember correctly. Artemisinine derivatives are considered first-line Malaria treatments by the WHO, are considered safe and several of these are in the WHO's list of essential medicines. It's true the Amodiaquine can cause liver damage, but such cases are rare and the drug is safe enough if used carefully and under supervision. Banning these drug is just stupid. The EU is known for indiscriminate and overzealous banning of various cheap medicines, probably under pressure of its powerful pharmaceutic industry lobbies with deep pockets, wanting to promote their new and expensive products. If banning useful antimalarial drugs might work for Europe, it could be disastrous for Nigeria, where Malaria is still a serious problem.

We should be careful the way we receive this news. If a malaria drug is found to be too strong in Europe and get banned, should the same be applicable to Nigeria and indeed Africa where the parasite is sturbon and killing everyday. Senate should have allowed our Experts here to determine what is suitable for us and not swallow European ban hook line and sinker. Colonial mentality ought to have stopped by now. besides what are the alternative drugs here to combat the epidemic called malaria? Senate, pls stop dancing to the gallery.

1 Like

Re: Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria by kstix(m): 12:20pm On Jul 20, 2017
seXytOhbAd:
This list should be circulated among all hospitals, NDLEA, NAFDAC, and ministry of health officials in the country instead of this crap eye service...
My thoughts exactly. because just a few weeks back, i was down with malaria and a doctor from a federal hospital prescribed alaxin. I had dysentery shortly after using it.
Re: Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria by captain247: 12:39pm On Jul 20, 2017
That Artesunate do give me serious reactions on my body. Since after the doctor diagnosed that I reacted to the drug, I was advised to stop taking it and any other drug containing sulphur. Most people with the Blood group A+ do react to sulphur.
Re: Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria by Petitediva14(f): 2:30pm On Jul 20, 2017
dammy13:
​The Nigerian Senate has listed about 42 anti-malaria drugs that have been banned in Europe but are still sold in hospitals and pharmacies in Nigeria.

The lawmakers raised the alarm that all the forty two anti-malaria drugs were still being stockpiled, sold and consumed in the country.

Hence, the Senate has mandated its Committee on Health (Secondary and Tertiary), led by Senator Olarewaju Tejuoso, to urgently carry out a holistic investigation into the matter and report back for further action.

Raising the motion earlier, Senator T.A Orji, Abia Central said, “The Senate notes that recently the European Union banned the sale and consumption of 42 Anti-Malaria Drugs in all countries within the European Union.

“It notes that the 42 Anti-Malaria Drugs are: Alaxin 60mg tablet (dihydroartémisinine)B/8; Alaxin oral suspension (dihydroartémisinine) FL/80ml; Amodiaquine 200mg compressed B/1000; Amodiaquine 200mg compressed B/1000; Arinate 100mg tablet (artésunate) B/6; Arinate 50mg tablet (artésunate) B/6; Arsumax 50mg tablet (artésunate) B/12; Artemax 60mg tablet (dihydroartémisinine) B/8; Artémédine 40mg capsule (artemether) B/12; Artémédine 50mg tablet (artemether) B/12; and Artenam 50mg tablet (artemether) B/14.

“Also on the list are Artenam 60mg tablet (artemether) B/8; Artésiane 300mg child powder oral suspension (artemether) FL/38g; Artésunate 100mg compressed B/120; Artésunate 50mg tablet B/120; Artexin 60mg tablet (dihydroartémisinine) B/8; Camoquin 200mg tablet (amodiaquine) B/9; Camoquin 200mg tablet (amodiaquine) B/25 blisters.”

Others include: Camoquin 200mg tablet (amodiaquine) B/55 blisters; Camoquin 200mg tablet (amodiquine) B/24; Camoquin 600 mg tablet (amodiaquine) B/3; Camoquin oral suspension 50mg/ 5ml (amodiaquine) FL/60ml; Cotecxin oral suspension (dihydroartémisinine) FL/80ml; Cotecxin 60mg tablet (dihydroartémisinine) B/8; Daraprim tablet (pyriméthamine) B/30; and Falcinil 50mg tablet (artésunate) B/12.

http://fabinfos.com/senate-releases-list-42-banned-anti-malaria-drugs-still-sold-consumed-nigerian/

The list of the Malaria drugs were forwarded to Dr Peter Olumese, the WHO WORLD EXPERT on Malaria and also Ex UCH Pediatrician. Below are his comments

"This has been going on for awhile now. Below are some corrections on this

1. The European union never had any of these drugs registered there. So statement false

2. They are not recommended for the treatment of malaria because they are monotherapy and not effective.

3. This have nothing to do with renal failure or instant death. They are simply not effective in treating malaria.

4. The recommended treatment for malaria are the artemisinin combination therapies -. In Nigeria the recommended options is either artemether + lumefrantrine, or artesunate + amodiaquine. They come in various trade names.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria by jamesbridget13(f): 3:11pm On Jul 20, 2017
Thank God for my lonart
Re: Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria by esphil(m): 5:58pm On Jul 20, 2017
Eleyi gidi gan
Re: Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria by room089: 7:35pm On Jul 20, 2017
Did I see P - Alaxin there?
Re: Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria by lebete3000: 8:53pm On Jul 20, 2017
dammy13:
​The Nigerian Senate has listed about 42 anti-malaria drugs that have been banned in Europe but are still sold in hospitals and pharmacies in Nigeria.

The lawmakers raised the alarm that all the forty two anti-malaria drugs were still being stockpiled, sold and consumed in the country.

Hence, the Senate has mandated its Committee on Health (Secondary and Tertiary), led by Senator Olarewaju Tejuoso, to urgently carry out a holistic investigation into the matter and report back for further action.

Raising the motion earlier, Senator T.A Orji, Abia Central said, “The Senate notes that recently the European Union banned the sale and consumption of 42 Anti-Malaria Drugs in all countries within the European Union.

“It notes that the 42 Anti-Malaria Drugs are: Alaxin 60mg tablet (dihydroartémisinine)B/8; Alaxin oral suspension (dihydroartémisinine) FL/80ml; Amodiaquine 200mg compressed B/1000; Amodiaquine 200mg compressed B/1000; Arinate 100mg tablet (artésunate) B/6; Arinate 50mg tablet (artésunate) B/6; Arsumax 50mg tablet (artésunate) B/12; Artemax 60mg tablet (dihydroartémisinine) B/8; Artémédine 40mg capsule (artemether) B/12; Artémédine 50mg tablet (artemether) B/12; and Artenam 50mg tablet (artemether) B/14.

“Also on the list are Artenam 60mg tablet (artemether) B/8; Artésiane 300mg child powder oral suspension (artemether) FL/38g; Artésunate 100mg compressed B/120; Artésunate 50mg tablet B/120; Artexin 60mg tablet (dihydroartémisinine) B/8; Camoquin 200mg tablet (amodiaquine) B/9; Camoquin 200mg tablet (amodiaquine) B/25 blisters.”

Others include: Camoquin 200mg tablet (amodiaquine) B/55 blisters; Camoquin 200mg tablet (amodiquine) B/24; Camoquin 600 mg tablet (amodiaquine) B/3; Camoquin oral suspension 50mg/ 5ml (amodiaquine) FL/60ml; Cotecxin oral suspension (dihydroartémisinine) FL/80ml; Cotecxin 60mg tablet (dihydroartémisinine) B/8; Daraprim tablet (pyriméthamine) B/30; and Falcinil 50mg tablet (artésunate) B/12.

http://fabinfos.com/senate-releases-list-42-banned-anti-malaria-drugs-still-sold-consumed-nigerian/

No wonder I've been treating Malaria non stop....
Re: Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria by lebete3000: 8:54pm On Jul 20, 2017
room089:
Did I see P - Alaxin there?

Me sef dey wonder oh...make dem kuku ban everything join make people dey go use ago na.
Re: Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria by Partteen: 9:01pm On Jul 20, 2017
I had malaria about 6weeks ago and I have already switched to organic products....... Don't need these synthetic products again. Garlic thyme and nature min for 2 plus days and that was all.
Re: Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria by nacaz4real(m): 10:32pm On Jul 20, 2017
Please don't miss inform the public with this trash. Always ask the authenticity of any material before you share or broadcast.
These drugs are not harmful, they don't cause any kindey or hepatic disease at therapeutic doses, and they are not banned here in Nigeria. The problem with the drugs you are seeing here is that they are monotherapy, each of those drug should be in combination with another drug, and the most common combination are ACT based. In summary those drugs listed in combination with another drug is a superior way to deal with malaria resistance.
babaolofin:
At last. They (Senate ) tried. Since early this year, I got this information of banned malaria drugs from EU market. I am sure so many Nigerians also received the information as received below.

The list of drugs against malaria removed from the market in the European Union.

The underlisted drugs have been proven to be dangerous and are the origin of kidney failure that kills spontaneously.

Listed are designation, form unit and laboratory manufacturer of these drugs.

1. Alaxin 60mg tablet (dihydroartémisinine) B / 8 gvs labs

2. Alaxin oral suspension (dihydroartémisinine) FL / 80ml gvs labs

3. Amodiaquine 200mg compressed B / 1000 cipla

4. Amodiaquine 200mg compressed B / 1000 mannesh

5. Arinate 100mg tablet (artésunate) B / 6 dafra Pharma

6. Arinate 50 mg tablet (artésunate) B / 6 dafra Pharma

7. Arsumax 50 mg tablet (artésunate) B / 12 Sanofi - Aventis

8. Artemax 60 mg tablet (dihydroartémisinine) B / 8 g.a Pharmaceuticals

9. Artémédine 40 mg capsule (artemether) B / 12 kunmung

10. Artémédine 50 mg tablet (artemether) B / 12 kunmung

11. Artenam 50 mg tablet (artemether) B / 14 qualifar

12. Artenam 60 mg tablet (artemether) B / 8 qualifar

13. Artésiane 300 mg child powder oral suspension (artemether) FL / 38g dafra Pharma

14. Artésunate 100mg compressed B / 120 dafra Pharma

15. Artésunate 50 mg tablet B / 120 dafra Pharma

16. Artexin 60 mg tablet (dihydroartémisinine) B / 8 bdh industries

17. Camoquin 200mg tablet (amodiaquine) B / 9 Pfizer

18. Camoquin 200mg tablet (amodiaquine) B / 25 blisters / 3 Pfizer

19. Camoquin 200mg tablet (amodiaquine) B / 55 blisters / 9 Pfizer

20. Camoquin 200mg tablet (amodiquine) B / 24 Pfizer

21. Camoquin 600 mg tablet (amodiaquine) B / 3 Pfizer

22. Camoquin oral suspension 50mg / 5ml (amodiaquine) FL / 60ml Pfizer

23. Cotecxin oral suspension (dihydroartémisinine) FL / 80ml cotec

24. Cotecxin 60 mg tablet (dihydroartémisinine) B / 8 cotec

25. Daraprim tablet (pyriméthamine) B / 30 GlaxoSmithKline

26. Falcinil 50mg tablet (artésunate) B / 12 cipla

27. Flavoquine oral suspension 50mg / 5ml (amodiaquine) FL / 90ml Sanofi-Aventis

28. Flavoquine 200mg tablet (amodiaquine) B / 16 Sanofi-Aventis

29. Flavoquine 200mg tablet (amodiaquine) B / 240 Sanofi-Aventis

30. Gunate strong tablet (artésunate) B / 6 gvs labs

31. Tvitter powder oral suspension (artemether) FL / 100ml gvs labs

32. Halfan 250mg tablet (halofantrine) B / 6 GlaxoSmithKline

33. Halfan 250mg tablet (halofantrine) B / 120 GlaxoSmithKline

34. Halfan oral suspension 5mg / 5ml (halofantrine) FL / 45ml GlaxoSmithKline

35. Malartin 200mg tablet (artésunate) B / 6 Tri-health

36. Malartin 50 mg tablet (artésunate) B / 12 Tri-health

37. mmh-malarex 450 mg capsule (peschiara fuchsiaefolia) B / 20 ropack

38. Paludrine 100mg tablet (proguanil) B / 56 Astra Zeneca

39. Plasmotrim 200mg tablet (artésunate) B / 25 blisters / 6 mepha

40. Plasmotrim 200mg tablet (artésunate) B / 6 mepha

41. Plasmotrim 50 mg lactab (artésunate) B / 12 mepha

42. Plasmotrim 50 mg lactab (artésunate) B / 25 blisters / 6 mepha.

You can save your life and that of others by not stocking any drug that contains any of these substances:

Plasmotrin
Artequin
Co-arinate
Arco
Artedar
Artecon
Dialquin.

Thank you to know this information and send also to those around you, it can save lives.
Re: Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria by phenol33(m): 6:38am On Jul 21, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Did I just see Artesunate there?

I took that shît last week Friday.
bros don't panic they er banned because they er single therapy drugs not that they er fake. who want combine therapy.
Re: Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:07am On May 31, 2019
That's simple and fun =) cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Woman Shows Impressive Transformation 5 Months After Suffering Burns / 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body / Doctors To Embark On Nationwide Strike Over NUC’s PhD Directive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.