Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,702 members, 7,802,091 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:58 AM

See How Many Potential Architects Remain Unregistered In Nigeria The Last 15 Yrs - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / See How Many Potential Architects Remain Unregistered In Nigeria The Last 15 Yrs (1510 Views)

HELP!!!!!!!!! ARCON and NIA are killing Architects in NIGERIA. / NPF:- Hw Many Yrs Will One Spend As An Inspector Before Promotion To ASP / EXCLUSIVE! Architects In Crisis As NIA, ARCON Registration War Gets Messier (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See How Many Potential Architects Remain Unregistered In Nigeria The Last 15 Yrs by three: 8:35am On Jul 20, 2017
So, following the post on FP concerning Architects and registration I did a little digging.

In true design fashion I tried to provide an infographic. Hope the Architects in the house appreciate the effort.

Lalalsticlala, Seun I need some help here

These are the Accredited schols running a Masters program in Nigeria

Abia State University
Ahmadu Bello University
Ambrose Alli University
Anambra State Universty of Science and Technology
Covenant University
Cross River State University of Technology
Enugu State University of Technology
Federal University of Technology, Akure
Imo State University
Nnamdi Azikiwe University
Obafemi Awolowo University
University of Jos
University of Lagos
University of Nigeria
University of Uyo

Source
http://www.arconigeria.org.ng/view-accredited-institutions

Total number of Registered Architects in 2003 (15 years ago)

= 1925 (2003 figures - Full Members & Fellows)

Source
https://web.archive.org/web/20031208162232/http://www.nigerianinstituteofarchitects.org:80/Members_/members_.html

Current Number of Registered Architects in Nigeria (including Full Members & Fellows retired numbers)

= 3438

source:
http://www.arconigeria.org.ng
http://arconigeria.org.ng/sites/default/files/downfiles/AccreditedArchitects2013.pdf

ARCON/NIA has registered 1513 architects in a space of 15 YEARS!!

that's approximately 100.8 architects every year for the last 15 Years!

Each of the 15 schools above has graduated a conservative average of 50 student architects a year. That's 50 students x 15 schools = 750 students x 15 years (2003-2017) = 11,250 potential architects (not counting those from unacreddited schools)

ARCON/NIA have registered a woeful 1,513 architects of 11,250 potential architects over the last 15 years.

They've been admitting 100.8 a year over the last 15 years when they should have been registering approximately 750 a year! 100/750

1 Share

Re: See How Many Potential Architects Remain Unregistered In Nigeria The Last 15 Yrs by newyorks(m): 8:55am On Jul 20, 2017
Corruption
Re: See How Many Potential Architects Remain Unregistered In Nigeria The Last 15 Yrs by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 21, 2017
I get your points bro, but I don't think it's up to that number.
My Reasons Are:

1.) Most Schools don't graduate up to 50 students yearly. (M. Sc) 30 is considerable though it's still much.

2.) Not all that graduate from those schools pursue a career in Architecture. Many people don't even make it up to M. Sc

3.) Some people are not ready to invest in being registered Architects due to one reason or another.

They are others but I'll stop here.

Finally, I'd say that most of the '11,000' or so are not even qualified to be professional Architects.
Re: See How Many Potential Architects Remain Unregistered In Nigeria The Last 15 Yrs by three: 8:06am On Jul 26, 2017
netoc65:
I get your points bro, but I don't think it's up to that number.
My Reasons Are:

1.) Most Schools don't graduate up to 50 students yearly. (M. Sc) 30 is considerable though it's still much.

2.) Not all that graduate from those schools pursue a career in Architecture. Many people don't even make it up to M. Sc

3.) Some people are not ready to invest in being registered Architects due to one reason or another.

They are others but I'll stop here.

Finally, I'd say that most of the '11,000' or so are not even qualified to be professional Architects.

1. This does not include schools whose Masters program is not accredited. 30 students per class is very Conservative imo but let's see if others have different accounts.

2. Most of the reasons people do not continue to Masters is due to accreditation issues. Should accreditation of a school be withdrawn mid-stream? That is, one entered a school which was accredited only for accreditation to be withdrawn while one is in school?

3. Not ready to invest. Again, more comments welcome from more people.
Re: See How Many Potential Architects Remain Unregistered In Nigeria The Last 15 Yrs by kennedyadejoh: 10:24am On Oct 07, 2019
The system is just bad. they are so many potential and registerable architects who are more qualified but sometimes political factors usually comes to play. Your analysis is correct. Among the accredited institutions, about 50 students graduate annually but denied registration. Its just the coming of ACP/ APCE by ARCON recently that is even trying to increase professional architects in number.

(1) (Reply)

closed / Cips/apics Certifications, Which Is Easier To Acquire? / PLC Training Video Tutorial From Scratch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.