Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,881 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:15 AM

What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? (8263 Views)

The Skills To Having Sucessful Carrer In Nigeria Today {digital Marketing} / What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? / How To Become Sucessful.....by John_bright (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jul 20, 2017
Many have blamed the unemployment scourge in our country to lack of good governance and the consequent economic chaos...many lay the blame on the education system that keeps churning out graduates that can't defend the certificates they carry, some people have also called out graduates in Nigeria for their bloated sense of entitlement and unwillingness to learn, sacrifice or start small...., these are different perspectives and they all seem to be correct to some extent depending on the angle you look from... But the question remains, what does it take for one to be successful in the Nigerian labour market?

xfire has been a true comrade in this regard over the years on nairaland, I'm sure so many graduates have beniffited from his insight on here, but it would really be nice if other bosses and people who have made it or at least are progressing in this harsh market to come in and help us throw light, from their own perspective, what does it take? What extra steps should one take to get them closer to breakthrough? and in what particular order?

Sometimes you hear years of experience is golden, the debate keeps raging between masters and professional training/certification, while some will tell you both don't matter as companies would train you on what to do if you're hired...many also believe abroad certificate is the messiah, so many write ups about what interviewers/employers want....but the truth remains that there are people who have either one or even combinations of the above still, no Job or ridiculous offers...

As it stands, I've come to understand that personal and professional development means a different thing to different people, what areas does one need to develop and in what ways?

I'd really appreciate if knowledgeable brothers and sisters could take out time from their busy schedules and chip in something, I'm sure thousands of other people at this same crossroad would appreciate too.

5 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Buking1: 7:27am On Jul 21, 2017
sad
Haha shebi them dey celebrate this FTC
Seun Oya pass me d award
Make money fall on me and all my friends and dose that will comment after me this year and long life.
Make banana fall on all my females friends and NL families
Anyway all what it takes is just to start on anything..
Inasmuch you can dream it you can do it because every thought have a cause..
And that cause has a way to attract what will drive the dream to reality
Futher more vent into something

Incase you are bord I have a goodnews for you...
Here is a place to enjoy fastest connection with pretty and handsome guys,you can create public room and be a moderator

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sabichat.app
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by sakalisis(m): 7:27am On Jul 21, 2017
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by klassykute(m): 7:27am On Jul 21, 2017
Apart from doctors nd som engineers i meva see pesin for naija wey use wetin e study tk wrk ooo... buh sha to af a better career:

1. Village people, u gats find hw u go do dem
2. U gats find connection oo know pesin wey knw pesin
3. If u b girl just prepare ur kitten
4. Mayb God wan jus help u..
5. Luck

6. If u mind all wetin i talk na okada u go drive....

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by deepwater(f): 7:28am On Jul 21, 2017
Gods grace

5 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by yinkakani(m): 7:29am On Jul 21, 2017
What does it take to have a successful career in Nigeria? Sorry, all that comes to mind is. . .
Be in a high position of political power where you can loot millions of dollars.
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by dakeskese(m): 7:29am On Jul 21, 2017
There is no career to be built here before talking of career success.
In the zoo, all that matters is survival... and of the fittest (those that know people that know people) !

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Neduzze5(m): 7:29am On Jul 21, 2017
You mean here in Naija?

It's simple - I.M

Expanding the equation = Ima Mmadu undecided

5 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by nairaman66(m): 7:29am On Jul 21, 2017
Interesting
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by emmymdk: 7:29am On Jul 21, 2017
Knowing a highly placed Person to recommend you or keep Praying till Oluwa picks your call..
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by wildrose21(m): 7:30am On Jul 21, 2017
Siddon look na him I dey...

The definition of success is relative..

The person below me has something better to say...
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Christane: 7:30am On Jul 21, 2017
just av a political godfather nd u wud av a great career.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by SNIPER123: 7:30am On Jul 21, 2017
embarassed
This Country!!!
There is no nothing like career in Nigeria.
Just get a high paying job and forget about your career grin
Meanwhile there is money cool cash in sales but not GNLD products cheesy
Please don't mention my name anywhere shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by donestk(m): 7:30am On Jul 21, 2017
Nothing as such. In this country, it's about survival of the fitest.
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Jaculze(m): 7:31am On Jul 21, 2017
This is indeed a very good piece. Sometimes I wonder what will one do to be successful in Nigeria and the steps to be taken, are there any predefined steps one should take to be successful? I've finished service for almost a year now but I've been at home since doing nothing (I must not be at home for 5 years and above before my own case will be critical na), I've even submitted proposals and came up with good business ideas but "nothing come out", right now instead of just stayin idle and thinking my life away I chose to teach myself Web design and do some freelance social media marketing on the side.
Everything just de weak me I swear. God will definitely make a way for us.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Flexherbal(m): 7:32am On Jul 21, 2017
Dedication and commitment!

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Naughtytboy: 7:32am On Jul 21, 2017
Talent but even new talent needs promo and even if you fake ur own death u still fit no blow ask skibili

1 Like

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by klassykute(m): 7:32am On Jul 21, 2017
Jaculze:
This is indeed a very good piece
dis is indeed a veri good piece still u neva talk anytin

6 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by 0b100100111: 7:32am On Jul 21, 2017
1. Know people that count!

2. Know people that matters!

3. Know people that call the shots!

In summary, it's about "Connection". Who do you or your father knows.

#BittterTruth

Outside Nigeria, other things might work.

6 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by iamwoods(m): 7:34am On Jul 21, 2017
Sometimes I Ask Myself Why I Was Born In This Country..When Every Oppurtunity Is Abt Knowing Someone At The Top.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by mrwonlasewonie: 7:36am On Jul 21, 2017
0b100100111:
1. Know people that count!

2. Know people that matters!

3. Know people that call the shots!

In summary, it's about "Connection". Who do you or your father knows.

#BittterTruth

Outside Nigeria, other things might work.

it's not just about knowing if you know who is who and you cannot lick their a55 you're going no where.you have to literally lick their ass and serve them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Ojisik(m): 7:37am On Jul 21, 2017
1. Hard work and skill.

2. Emotional Intelligence

3. Ass kissing (not literally, I mean being extra humble with people you need favors from)

4. Corporate politics because man is by nature a political animal.

5. Divine Favor (This is the most important)

6. Personal (etiquette, presentation skills etc) and Professional development.

This is not an exhaustive list though, I'm here to learn as well.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:38am On Jul 21, 2017
mrwonlasewonie:
it's not just about knowing mid you know who is who and you cannot lick their a55 you're going no where.you have to literally lick their ass and serve them
Oil dey your head
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by miraclear: 7:39am On Jul 21, 2017
This is indeed a very good piece : Well permit me to digress :

Everything that you are going to read now is a wake up call to the tribe called YORUBA in Nigeria by a yoruba man.written out of burning passion for correcting the abnormality in what is obvious.

We the yoruba's are one of the most privilege tribe of all - 40 years of western education,Lagos Sea Port to mention a few, please keep reading before you comment.

1 In the area of TRADING : Think of Lagos Sea Port as the major port for most imported goods into this country since we dont produce jack even toothpick who then should be the richest tribe before you contest google Amazon.Ebay , and Alibaba.com net worth

Let me give you on candid illustration.An average Igbo Man in Aria Market in Aba,Abia State will use this same Lagos sea port to import BOXER PANT MATERIAL takes it to Aba to produce then take it to Lagos to distribute to the whole Nigeria if not west africa.Do the Maths if 20
percent of 180milliom nigerian wear only ONE of this local Boxer throughout the year = 36million.Remember that no matter how poor you need minimum of 4 in year. That means that Ibo Man is making 144million naira simply IMPORTING , SOWING and DISTRIBUTING BOXER underwear using the Lagos Sea Port.

Lesson : Open to constructive dialogue, im yet to see a yoruba man into this,infact i have advice some tailors to do it to kill idleness, the reply i get is " That is not part of what I learn to sow ?

2 In the Artisan Cottage Industry : Since we all may not pass through school,there is no gain saying that the yoruba race are ahead when it comes to learning handwork. Good and fine.But we missed it when a teenager say a Boy learn - Barbing, Mechanic , Cobbling and the young girl Learn Hairdressing, Make up Artist for instance. After graduation, the "POOR BOY " or " GIRL'S PARENT " is expected to RAISE MONEY for graduation ceremony, RAISE money to Get a Shop, RAISE money to Equip the shop too.This boy now turn to a Bus Conductor or Agbero or Area boy, Social Miscreant and the girl turn to Hawk Bread or do other menial jobs to make ends meet simply because they could practice what they spend years to learn ? Too bad i ?hink .

Lesson : The Reverse is the case in IBO land we yoruba should learn from it. After a boy or a girl is done learning the Trade or handwork, the Boss Look for a location, Rent a Shop for the Poor Boy or Girl, Equip the Shop and handover for the Poor boy to become a Man and the poor Girl a Woman.There is dignity in Labour,in TIMAYA'S voice - Make my suffer no loss O, for a better tomorrow.

If you think that what I have write so far make sense click LIKE to encourage me write More if not click SHARE[b][/b]

15 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 21, 2017
Ojisik:
1. Hard work and skill.

2. Emotional Intelligence

3. Ass kissing (not literally, I mean being extra humble with people you need favors from)

4. Corporate politics because man is by nature a political animal.

5. Divine Favor (This is the most important)

6. Personal (etiquette, presentation skills etc) and Professional development.

This is not an exhaustive list though, I'm here to learn as well.
you are on point bro
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by BornAgainMay: 7:43am On Jul 21, 2017
Go read the profile of those succesful politicians.

Most of them came from a rich home with connections and had to continue with their fathers legacy, others had to travel n make it abroad before coming back to join nigerian politics.

Nigeria is only good to come bk n invest but if you think you can build your career in nigeria better go ask Anthony why he didn't represent nigeria in boxing?

Go ask our talented football players, why they were picked up either in england or china before they made nigerian team

nigeria kills dream, it start from our days in school when your teacher go just hate you n any simple mistake you don carry the class for head.

In essence, you can't develop your career in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by 0b100100111: 7:47am On Jul 21, 2017
mrwonlasewonie:
it's not just about knowing mid you know who is who and you cannot lick their a55 you're going no where.you have to literally lick their ass and serve them

Your right though! But not all the time!

Circumstances vary.....
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Jaculze(m): 7:48am On Jul 21, 2017
klassykute:
dis is indeed a veri good piece still u neva talk anytin
lol... why you come de tackle only me out of the other space bookers na? I even try write "this is a very good piece" unlike others way de even put full stop and comma" lol.
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:48am On Jul 21, 2017
miraclear:
This is indeed a very good piece : Well permit me to digress :

Everything that you are going to read now is a wake up call to the tribe called YORUBA in Nigeria by a yoruba man.written out of burning passion for correcting the abnormality in what is obvious.

We the yoruba's are one of the most privilege tribe of all - 40 years of western education,Lagos Sea Port to mention a few, please keep reading before you comment.

1 In the area of TRADING : Think of Lagos Sea Port as the major port for most imported goods into this country since we dont produce jack even toothpick who then should be the richest tribe before you contest google Amazon.Ebay , and Alibaba.com net worth

Let me give you on candid illustration.An average Igbo Man in Aria Market in Aba,Abia State will use this same Lagos sea port to import BOXER PANT MATERIAL takes it to Aba to produce then take it to Lagos to distribute to the whole Nigeria if not west africa.Do the Maths if 20
percent of 180milliom nigerian wear only ONE of this local Boxer throughout the year = 36million.Remember that no matter how poor you need minimum of 4 in year. That means that Ibo Man is making 144million naira simply IMPORTING , SOWING and DISTRIBUTING BOXER underwear using the Lagos Sea Port.

Lesson : Open to constructive dialogue, im yet to see a yoruba man into this,infact i have advice some tailors to do it to kill idleness, the reply i get is " That is not part of what I learn to sow ?

2 In the Artisan Cottage Industry : Since we all may not pass through school,there is no gain saying that the yoruba race are ahead when it comes to learning handwork. Good and fine.But we missed it when a teenager say a Boy learn - Barbing, Mechanic , Cobbling and the young girl Learn Hairdressing, Make up Artist for instance. After graduation, the "POOR BOY " or " GIRL'S PARENT " is expected to RAISE MONEY for graduation ceremony, RAISE money to Get a Shop, RAISE money to Equip the shop too.This boy now turn to a Bus Conductor or Agbero or Area boy, Social Miscreant and the girl turn to Hawk Bread or do other menial jobs to make ends meet simply because they could practice what they spend years to learn ? Too bad i ?hink .

Lesson : The Reverse is the case in IBO land we yoruba should learn from it. After a boy or a girl is done learning the Trade or handwork, the Boss Look for a location, Rent a Shop for the Poor Boy or Girl, Equip the Shop and handover for the Poor boy to become a Man and the poor Girl a Woman.There is dignity in Labour,in TIMAYA'S voice - Make my suffer no loss O, for a better tomorrow.

If you think that what I have write so far make sense click LIKE to encourage me write More if not click SHARE[b][/b]

Nice one. There are several wise business strategies to learn from the Ibos.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by klassykute(m): 7:49am On Jul 21, 2017
Jaculze:
lol... why you come de tackle only me out of the other space bookers na? I even try write "this is a very good piece" unlike others way de even put full stop and comma" lol.
u dn hype d topic nahh nd notin folo d hyping
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Jaculze(m): 7:51am On Jul 21, 2017
klassykute:
u dn hype d topic nahh nd notin folo d hyping
I don talk already. Check my post. I modify am
Re: What Does It Take To Have A Sucessful Career In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:15am On Jul 21, 2017
Buking1:
sad
Haha shebi them dey celebrate this FTC
Seun Oya pass me d award
Make money fall on me and all my friends and dose that will comment after me this year and long life.
Make banana fall on all my females friends and NL families
Anyway all what it takes is just to start on anything..
Inasmuch you can dream it you can do it because every thought have a cause..
And that cause has a way to attract what will drive the dream to reality
Futher more vent into something

Incase you are bord I have a goodnews for you...
Here is a place to enjoy fastest connection with pretty and handsome guys,you can create public room and be a moderator

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sabichat.app

Re u d owner of d app?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Requirements To Work As A Nurse In Germany. / Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. / I Am So Very Sad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.