Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,357 members, 7,800,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:08 AM

Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist (5407 Views)

Nigeria Sack Coach Keshi For Lack Of Commitment / Amodu Ruined My Dream - Kanu / Nigeria Sack Coach Shaibu Amodu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by cescjay(m): 10:27am On Feb 06, 2010
Nigeria football bosses on Friday announced the sacking of coach Shuaibu Amodu, publishing a short-list of coaches they hope will lead the 'Super Eagles' through the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Amodu had been under pressure even before Nigeria's third place finish at the Africa Cup of Nations, which ended with Egypt's third consecutive victory last week.

The Nigeria Football Federation's short-list is topped by Dutchman Guus Hiddink, Bayern Munich coach Louis van Gaal, Frenchman Bruno Metsu, former Ratomir Djukovic and former England caretaker coach Peter Taylor.

Hiddink is currently the coach of Russia, Metsu led Senegal to the 2002 World Cup and Djukovic guided Ghana to the 2006 World Cup.

According to an official statement after the marathon meeting, the NFF technical committee headed by Taiwo Ogunjobi will recommend one of three of these coaches for immediate employment before the end of this month.

The federal government of Nigeria will pay the new foreign coach, according to officials.

Amodu and his assistants will now train Nigeria's second team for the 2011 Championship of African Nations (CHAN), meant for African players featuring in their respective domestic leagues.

In November, Amodu qualified the Super Eagles for the 2010 World Cup to be staged in South Africa in June.

However, the performance of the team under Amodu, who also qualified the team to the 2002 World Cup, was widely criticised by the press and the public.
link:
http://www.kickoff.com/static/european/news.php?id=21361
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by cescjay(m): 10:33am On Feb 06, 2010
For me this is good news,i dont know why they took this long to get rid of Amodu.hiddink will be the best coach for 9ja i think it will be difficult to get him,but hope they do.
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by Luvlgenius(m): 10:56am On Feb 06, 2010
I am gonna lounge in my crib and toast to NFF for this marvelous decision,  grin grin grin grin

we need such decisions in every sector of Nigeria. Good work!!!!
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by Nobody: 12:14pm On Feb 06, 2010
Don't be agitated when your technically sound coach fails to deliver results; sometimes "wuru-wuru to the answer" is the best solution to a predicament (refer to Argentina's Maradona-lead 2010 qualification which is nothing short of Amodu's achievement). The new coach would be saddled with the responsibility of squad selection which at this time is a tid-bit too late so don't count your chicks yet. Also remember that 32 (apparently) sound coaches would be at the world cup and only one would lead his team to victory. Would the outstanding 31 be sacked on the grounds of incompetence then?
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by MrCrackles(m): 1:00pm On Feb 06, 2010
Topic. . .
When are they sacking the current crop of tired legs and old heads
When is the bloody NFA getting dismantled and re-assembled with competent folks
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by Nobody: 1:00pm On Feb 06, 2010
i think Bruno Metsu is best choice, because he has worked with african players and knows their mentality very well
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by badboym: 1:01pm On Feb 06, 2010
I am not a part of this.
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by Remii(m): 1:05pm On Feb 06, 2010
mobuch:

i think Bruno Metsu is best choice, because he has worked with african players and knows their mentality very well

I think "Coach Zero" is best, at least the country runs without leaders for 70 days and still counting yet no difference from when we had one. so lets try "No coach" and see what we would get. lol.
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by emiwanlee(m): 1:06pm On Feb 06, 2010
But Ogunjobi and Lulu are still there

no hope
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by Arewamotor: 1:11pm On Feb 06, 2010
Good news as long as the NFF will not have to make the selection of players for each of the few matches we might play at the world cup.
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by felifeli: 1:29pm On Feb 06, 2010
Bad roads, no electricity, no water, no jobs, no government,
and yet all people can think of is how to employ foreign coach for STUPID football sad
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by kpalasa69(m): 1:32pm On Feb 06, 2010
Men i left naija for so long and i hated Ogunjobi who knows nothing about football, Why are they wasting time to give them their marching orders, Is it when Yar adua tenure finishes dat they will change them??, Well metsu would be nice but lets no dream Hiddink, Hope we can get a very strict coach who will allow Siasia by his side, cry
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by call4shola(m): 1:34pm On Feb 06, 2010
Amodu may u never near the post of the super eagles technical bench again, go and start ur team with ur broda aiyegbeni.
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:35pm On Feb 06, 2010
Naija,  grin we are an optimistic lot aren't we ,

So let me see, you get a foreign coach with how many months to the World Cup and expect him to turn Yakubu Ayegbeni into a goa-scorign machine or convert Shittu into a Striker and Mikel into an attacking Mid-fielder. No doubt a foreign coach will bring fresher ideas due to his experience in more technical leagues, but he cannot change chickens into eagles. yes he may make them a tad bit braver, but that is as far as it goes. There is too little time to bring about the World-Cup beating team we are dreaming of

IMHO
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by Nobody: 1:44pm On Feb 06, 2010
so Amodu still has a job??
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by obinwanne(m): 1:51pm On Feb 06, 2010
Amodu should please pay his way to re-fresher courses in Europe and South America where modern, tactical and entertaining football is played else,
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by dominique(f): 2:00pm On Feb 06, 2010
emiwanlee:

But Ogunjobi and Lulu are still there

no hope

took the words right out of my mouth. what we need starts ffrom a total change of administration.
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by tunku(m): 2:11pm On Feb 06, 2010
Nigeria is a country run by idiots and not surprisingly so is the NFF. This is a stupid decision not that Amodu doesn't deserve to be fired, rather it was too late to do it without incurring any penalty. Say what you will of his tactics, he led Nigeria to a world cup qualification, and the semi-finals of the ACONS when the only side to win it is a side that didn't qualify for the world cup. I swear if the bastards bring in some white mercenary I will root heart and soul against this Nigerian side. Amodu was a problem, but a minor one. The weakness with this Nigerian team is structural. We have no freaking defense, no striker  that knows how to score on a regular basis, and barring Osaze no creativity in this side. Nigeria is going to crash and burn in South Africa regardless of who leads it, So why not let Amodu lead the team he led to the finals in the final? God damn you and anyone hailing the timing of this decision as prudent. You idiots know nothing.
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by azeeza(f): 2:16pm On Feb 06, 2010
@call4shola
Amodu may u never near the post of the super eagles technical bench again, go and start your team with your broda aiyegbeni.

shoo na fight,na so u hate dis guy grin

@OMO IBO
so Amodu still has a job

bfor nko,playing second fiddle as usual.same home based he criticize he is back to them as their coach(home base eagle)that really serve him right.like they say no condition is permanent
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by sayso: 2:19pm On Feb 06, 2010
wetin the new coaches wan do for the Green I mean Greenblack Eagles?
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by namdo(m): 2:25pm On Feb 06, 2010
Well it is obvious now that we cannot blame any foreign coach for our failure in SA 2010 seeing we employed him late- 3months to time (march, april, may). Competition starts June 11th and I wonder what magic a new coach would perform. Would the new coach stick to the old brigade and make them play better? What this means is that we have failed already. Guys just be ready to stomach the shame that would come. I f Amodu was left alone with SE until after the 2010 WC i would understand the failure but now i can see failure without anyone to blame but the NFF who cannot tell me that they never knew Amodu had no indepth to take on SE as coach.
I would have to sit and watch this drama as it unfolds. These people running our football never take good actions these days. I wonder what they think and say when they go into meetings. nawaaaa for NFF.
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by Nobody: 2:26pm On Feb 06, 2010
azeeza,

I would've thought the NFF would dump him like a piece of rubbish.
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by microgiant: 2:34pm On Feb 06, 2010
good news at last from the nff
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by illusion2: 3:07pm On Feb 06, 2010
All these wuru-wuru firebrigade approach sef . . . .

The man qualified you for WC,let him have his day in South Africa.

[size=18pt]Is Nigeria going to win the world Cup- the obvious answer is No ![/size]

So why all the nonsense?
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by fitila: 3:13pm On Feb 06, 2010
Amodu is not worthy of sacking! he is suppos to be allowd to atleast take us to the world cup!
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by elewedu(m): 3:17pm On Feb 06, 2010
this is bullshit says a friend of mine. As for me Amodus juju is still working, I dnt see doing anything worthwhile in his new found office, he is better off as a spare part dealer, his coaching style is premised on fluke
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by CarlosVent(m): 3:47pm On Feb 06, 2010
WHO EVER SAYS DIS IS A GOOD DEVELOPMENT DOESN'T KNOW WHAT IS GOOD FOR NIGERIA FOOTBALL DEVELOPMENT.
AFTER SACKING AMODU DEY STIL LEFT NFF OFFICIAL INCLUDING THE CHAIRMAN AND D TAX FORCE TEAM ALL OF THEM SHOULD BE SACKED AND SUED FOR INTERFERENCE.
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by cescjay(m): 3:55pm On Feb 06, 2010
I think "Coach Zero" is best, at least the country runs without leaders for 70 days and still counting yet no difference from when we had one. so lets try "No coach" and see what we would get. lol.

very hilarious comment lol
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by marocguy(m): 4:00pm On Feb 06, 2010
Amodu bye. I've hoped 4 dis. They shud be careful wit dat shortlist by pickn som1 dat'll stay n work with d team 4 a long time after d world cup cos it wud take magic 4 dis team 2 do well at S.A. It will take a long process and time,so we shud be targetn a 4 year contract with d new coach 2 be.
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by Nobody: 4:02pm On Feb 06, 2010
fitila:

Amodu is not worthy of sacking! he is suppos to be allowd to atleast take us to the world cup!
illusion2:

All these wuru-wuru firebrigade approach sef . . . .

The man qualified you for WC,let him have his day in South Africa.

[size=18pt]Is Nigeria going to win the world Cup- the obvious answer is No ![/size]

So why all the nonsense?
you guys need to be shot in the stomach for this kind of comments
Re: Nigeria Sack Amodu, Draw Up Hiddink-led Shortlist by cescjay(m): 4:04pm On Feb 06, 2010
@illusion2,if they play the way they played at the NC there is no way 9ja will pass the 1st round.thats why amodu should go 4 a start,there is no improvement in the team.they get worse as the days go by.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Merrybet Bet Slip / Success Stories of Nigerian Athletes At The All African Games / Super Falcons To Play 10 Games Before World Cup.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.