Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? (10350 Views)

This Happens When You Marry A Yoruba Man (photo) / Married Folks What Kind Of Contraceptive Do You Use? / Married Folks: Is Oral Se.x Neccessary In A Marriage To Build Trust And Love? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by Africaine(f): 10:50am On Feb 06, 2010
I am talking to people who have been married for over 3years

What happens when the  novelty wears off?
When you cant feel the butterflies in ur stomach?
when reality sets in and you realize that at the end of the day,he is just human
which makes him imperfect
what do u do
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Feb 06, 2010
why's your context based on a "him"? Silent undertones for your current situation?
when novelty wears off after marriage, innovation sets in. Sex is usually a great outlet for rediscovery
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by idstar(f): 1:37pm On Feb 06, 2010
I guess reality is somethin we all shd look 4ward to. Thats why marriage aint for kids. Prince charmings existx only in fairy tales. U gotta learn to accept what u cant change.
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by hugooh42(m): 1:46pm On Feb 06, 2010
well, that is when tolerance comes in. that is why it's recommended you marry your friend.
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Feb 06, 2010
Exactly
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by idifu(m): 2:12pm On Feb 06, 2010
marriage is a grown man thing, and not for kids
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by SamMilla1(m): 2:18pm On Feb 06, 2010
Wear it on again. its all in your mind. it doesnt wear off.
your mind just lapsed a little. it happens more when you marry for money, handsomeness etc.
like i said start tracing back to when it started to look like it wearing off.
then peg it somewhere and live with it.
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by pappilo(m): 2:31pm On Feb 06, 2010
Been married for 4 years and was with her for 9 years before the marriage and I am 32. Trust me if its real love it doesnt wear off. It may not shack you like when its fresh but it wont wear off.

2 Likes

Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by SirKay3(m): 2:44pm On Feb 06, 2010
Been married for 14yrs and it's still like we just got married. We were friends for 10yrs, during which we had the worst trials of our friendship. Nothing wears in marriage, except both of you don't really know what brought you together, either before or after marriage.

The most important thing, built your home thorugh God, on God and be prayerful.

1 Like

Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by Jairzinho(m): 2:48pm On Feb 06, 2010
Africaine:

I am talking to people who have been married for over 3years

What happens when the novelty wears off?
When you cant feel the butterflies in your stomach?
when reality sets in and you realize that at the end of the day,he is just human
which makes him imperfect
what do u do
I guess the secret is NOT to build your marriage/relationship on butterflies (seriously)

1 Like

Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by slap1(m): 2:56pm On Feb 06, 2010
^^ yeah, build it on chin-chin or kuli-kuli.
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by Jaguar1(m): 3:01pm On Feb 06, 2010
@ Poster, I 've been married for 3yrs now and I know what u 're talking about. I dated her for almost 4yrs b4 marriage. I stopped have butterflies b4 marriage but I still love her and will definetely spend the rest of my life with her.
The truth is; forget about butterflies and face reality (face the real deal that brought you two together). The best part of marriage is not based on passion but on genuine respect, understanding and love you both share.
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by Phony200(m): 3:24pm On Feb 06, 2010
No more butterflies but the love is still there. You'll cope if your lover is still your friend. I'm encouraged by the comments so far. Thank you to the op and other posters
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by Pharoh: 3:58pm On Feb 06, 2010
If it is real and genuine love then it will still be there but realities might not give you the opportunity to behave like when it just all started. As time goes one the butterfly love changes to a matured love.
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by parislomo(f): 4:04pm On Feb 06, 2010
hmmm, Loving this so far and getting encouraged by each sincere response, Thanks for sharing. . .
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by Arewamotor: 4:17pm On Feb 06, 2010
As long as either or both parties in marriage are not computer, there will be challenges in your relationship, I like to mention 4 things that could help:
1. Check the foundation on which you started building the home. If it was based on ulterior motives, then you have to pull it up and re-dig another foundation which is love.
2. God instituted marriage, check His word and use it as the manufacturer's manual for your home.
3. Tolerance - You have to tolerate your spouse until you can come to a common ground on issues.
4. Do not pay your partner with wrong doing when he does wrong, two wrongs to make a right most especially in the home front.
Talking from an experience running towards the second decade
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by spoilt(f): 4:23pm On Feb 06, 2010
Make time for each other. The kids will be just fine. Im known to drop the kid off with grandma or my sister quite often so I can have privacy to show lover boy what I can still do. wink

Everyday life can be overwhelming. Make time for just both of you. We also travel often. , alone, without the little one. grin
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by iceland(m): 4:28pm On Feb 06, 2010
What happens when the novelty wears off?, Why should it wear off?
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by Africaine(f): 4:32pm On Feb 06, 2010
interesting and sincere advise so far!!!

Pls for the Some people insinuating thrash,biko, I didnt marry for money,else i wudnt have married him

its not as if i dnt love him still,but i miss the butterflies, reality really is a bish

now all we concentrate on is work and the kids, i want more,i want us back, is it wrong to want more?
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by Wislet(f): 4:51pm On Feb 06, 2010
This truly deserves de front page.
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by peacettw: 4:55pm On Feb 06, 2010
Same here. All we do is work and kids too with little or  no "yori-yori". I believe though that it is all a question of time. But 4 now, engage in whatsoever that makes u happy as long as it is legal. That will take ur mind off d situation, prevent u from being moody or a nag and like i said earlier, wit time, everything will fall into place.
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by idstar(f): 4:58pm On Feb 06, 2010
Or is he having an affair? Has it crossed ur mind? Poster? i mean, if the butterflies have deserted him too he could be tempted to chase new ones lipsrsealed
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by cescjay(m): 4:59pm On Feb 06, 2010
try  taking your spouse out,go to cinema,resturants etc.reignite the flame,try new sex styles,go on holiday,picnics,etc
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by tosat: 5:19pm On Feb 06, 2010
great topic. I had to reactivate my almost 3 years dormant nairaland account to comment here. I would say it takes quite some hard work, with God's help of course. You do your part to always try to recapture that feeling by practising the wise tips fellow nairalanders have already contributed plus:

1) Dressing up for him for absolutely no reason!
2) Little suprises throughout the day, text msgs, cards, small gifts
3) Have date evening as often as you can without the kids , stick to it religiously.

Last tip, but most important, consciously pray that God renews your love for one another like old wine.

1 Like

Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by spoilt(f): 5:32pm On Feb 06, 2010
idstar:

Or is he having an affair? Has it crossed your mind? Poster? i mean, if the butterflies have deserted him too he could be tempted to chase new ones lipsrsealed

I dont think its about a third wheel. We're talking missing butterflies. grin
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by Livvvvy(f): 6:11pm On Feb 06, 2010
Missing butterflies is what makes a marriage go totally sour.

@Poster, the butterflies aint missing but hanging somewhere around you and your hubby's heart waiting to be watered back to life.

You should kindle the love back by doing those things that made the butterflies leap for joy when you guys just met.

Keep doing it, don't stop doing it. Bring in new ideas to your love life that will not tamper with your jobs and kids.

This is what i do always, even though it is not easy, but i still do it.
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by beknown(m): 6:48pm On Feb 06, 2010
Never let the novelty to wear off. Let no circumstances or situations or recession cause the novelty to wear off.

Think about all the things you did that made the novelty to blossom.

After thinking about them, put them into active service.
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Feb 06, 2010
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by ssumpta(f): 8:04pm On Feb 06, 2010
Poster sounds like she married just coz she was 'in love'. How won't the butterflies fly away? "At the end of d day, u realise he's just human, " Was he supra-human during d courtship?
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by LeMoor(m): 8:42pm On Feb 06, 2010
Your duty is to never let it wear off!!!
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by MsTom(f): 8:52pm On Feb 06, 2010
I understand what you are trying to pass across. I have read through every bit of the advice given. They are good. Just want to add this bit. Even when it seems the love is not there, be friends. That helps through a lot of the glum in marriage. Take time out. Leave the kids and go on a date. Not necessarily to a place where you would spend money. You can go for a walk together. It helps. Be creative in bed. The old routine can bore one out. Make the move even if he's shy. Most importantly, let God reign in your home.
Re: For The Married Folks: What Happens When The Novelty Wears Off? by Sholeyb: 9:00pm On Feb 06, 2010
I have been married to my husband for over 8 years and honestly, the butterflies are still there. Marriage needs to be worked on. My husband & I made decisions early in our marriage to;
a) Spend time alone everyday
b) Go out on a weekly date
c) Be intimate at least twice a week
d) Pray together daily by God's grace
e) Never keep malice with each other
d) share all we have including money
f) keep family out of our matter( no matter who it is)
g) Go away on holiday once a month( weekend away)- it does not have to be an expensive hotel or an exotic location, any where will do as long as we can be alone. To be honest we don't manage this every month, but we try to do it as often as we can.

There have been times when I have been angry with him or felt like leaving the marriage or killing him!but it soon passes because one of these things listed above will force us to talk and resolve issues.

You must form a deep friendship with your husband, I tell my husband everything and I mean everything and he does the same. I can genuinely say by God's grace, he is my best friend.

Bottom line, you have to work on your marriage daily. A lot of us spend more money and time on our looks, career than on our marriage.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help Me Plan A Party For My Wife / Pls Advice Me, My Parents Do Not Approve My Proposed Marriage Plans. /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.