Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

The Igbo Problem - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Igbo Problem (2611 Views)

The Biggest Problem The Yoruba Have In This World Is The Igbo Problem - Marcus K / The Truth Behind Yoruba And Igbo Problem / Biafra Is Never Igbo's Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Igbo Problem by Almaheed: 12:11pm On Jul 23, 2017
there is no doubt in my mind that the competitive individualism and the adventurous spirit of the Igbo are necessary ingredients in the modernization and development of Nigerian society. it is neither necessary or, nor impossible to suppress them. Nigeria without the inventiveness and the dynamism of the Igbo would be a less hopeful place than it is.

however, the real problem with the Igbo since independence is precisely the absence of the kind of central leadership which other ethnic groups presume for them. this lack has left them open to self seeking, opportunistic, leaders who offer no help at all in coping with a polarised Nigeria in which individual progress would no longer depend on the rules set by a very partial federal system.

The lack of real leaders in igboland goes back, of course, to the beginning of colonial administration. once the white man had crushed Igbo resistance it was relatively easy for him to locate upstarts and ruffians in the community who would uphold is regime at the expense of their own people. from those days the average Igbo leaders mentality has not been entirely free of the collaborating " WARRANT CHIEF SYNDROME"

The bankrupt state of Igbo leadership is best illustrated in the alacrity with which they have jettisoned their "TRADITIONAL REPUBLICANISM' (which meant self confidence engendered by their open society and their belief that one man is as good as another, that no condition is permanent) in favor of mushroom kingships. from having no kings in their recent past the Igbo's swung round to set an all time record of having kings in every region of Nigeria( Eze ndigbo of Lagos, eze ndigbo of jos, eze ndigbo of Kano etc ) spiralling republic clans in anambra, IMO, Enugu, into a neo monarchy system!! And most of them are traders in their stall by day and monarchs by night: city dwellers five days a week and traditional village rulers by the weekend.

The degree of travesty to which the Igbo man is apparently ready to reduce his institutions in his eagerness " to get up" can be truly amazing. At first this weakness might appear only as a private problem for the Igbo themselves. But an indifference to non material values( culture, traditional institution) which the Igbo's portrays might spill over into a carelessness and a disregard for the feelings of sacredness which other ethnic group hold for their own institutions. and there is a grave danger of social friction in this, which as occurred overtime.

So it becomes necessary that while Nigeria is at the delicate, touch and go stage of national evolution, the Igbo must learn less abrasiveness,
more shrewdness and tact and a willingness to grant the validity of less boisterous values.

2 Likes

Re: The Igbo Problem by tonio2wo: 12:29pm On Jul 23, 2017
ok, we yaf hia!
Re: The Igbo Problem by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jul 23, 2017
Igbo matter will kill all of una.worthless losers wey never put their house in order na igbo go dey worry una.

10 Likes

Re: The Igbo Problem by Kazim88: 12:42pm On Jul 23, 2017
Almaheed:
there is no doubt in my mind that the competitive individualism and the adventurous spirit of the Igbo are necessary ingredients in the modernization and development of Nigerian society. it is neither necessary or, nor impossible to suppress them. Nigeria without the inventiveness and the dynamism of the Igbo would be a less hopeful place than it is.

however, the real problem with the Igbo since independence is precisely the absence of the kind of central leadership which other ethnic groups presume for them. this lack has left them open to self seeking, opportunistic, leaders who offer no help at all in coping with a polarised Nigeria in which individual progress would no longer depend on the rules set by a very partial federal system.

The lack of real leaders in igboland goes back, of course, to the beginning of colonial administration. once the white man had crushed Igbo resistance it was relatively easy for him to locate upstarts and ruffians in the community who would uphold is regime at the expense of their own people. from those days the average Igbo leaders mentality has not been entirely free of the collaborating " WARRANT CHIEF SYNDROME"

The bankrupt state of Igbo leadership is best illustrated in the alacrity with which they have jettisoned their "TRADITIONAL REPUBLICANISM' (which meant self confidence engendered by their open society and their belief that one man is as good as another, that no condition is permanent) in favor of mushroom kingships. from having no kings in their recent past the Igbo's swung round to set an all time record of having kings in every region of Nigeria( Eze ndigbo of Lagos, eze ndigbo of jos, eze ndigbo of Kano etc ) spiralling republic clans in anambra, IMO, Enugu, into a neo monarchy system!! And most of them are traders in their stall by day and monarchs by night: city dwellers five days a week and traditional village rulers by the weekend.

The degree of travesty to which the Igbo man is apparently ready to reduce his institutions in his eagerness " to get up" can be truly amazing. At first this weakness might appear only as a private problem for the Igbo themselves. But an indifference to non material values( culture, traditional institution) which the Igbo's portrays might spill over into a carelessness and a disregard for the feelings of sacredness which other ethnic group hold for their own institutions . and there is a grave danger of social friction in this, which as occurred overtime.

So it becomes necessary that while Nigeria is at the delicate, touch and go stage of national evolution, the Igbo must learn less abrasiveness,
more shrewdness and tact and a willingness to grant the validity of less boisterous values.

the bolded is the key problem of an Igbo man in a Nigeria Society ... Although their strength (in being free spirited) yet their weakness in being able to freely associate with other tribe.

2 Likes

Re: The Igbo Problem by Almaheed: 1:00pm On Jul 23, 2017
the Igbo people have lost their heritage, although some of them know the truth but there is a whole lot of them who are truth resistant. they would rather clinge to the narrative that best suit their interest or what they think their interest is...
Re: The Igbo Problem by Almaheed: 1:02pm On Jul 23, 2017
ibe123:
Igbo matter will kill all of una.worthless losers wey never put their house in order na igbo go dey worry una.

look at the message, it was coined from chinua Achebe troubles with Nigeria... are the facts not there in your face there is really an underlying problem with the Igbo's polity that need to be addressed but you would rather stick to hate and illogical assertions
Re: The Igbo Problem by feelgoodInc: 1:08pm On Jul 23, 2017
I want to ask one question.

does the sultan of sokoto shit or not? does he fart too like we normal people?.

4 Likes

Re: The Igbo Problem by vanbonattel: 1:12pm On Jul 23, 2017
Na wao
Re: The Igbo Problem by vanbonattel: 1:14pm On Jul 23, 2017
feelgoodInc:
I want to ask one question.

does the sultan of sokoto shit or not?
does he fart too like we normal people?.

Let's respect the religious and ethnic leaders who are not calling you now. Please.

Long live the Sultan of Sokoto

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Problem by vanbonattel: 1:16pm On Jul 23, 2017
Almaheed:

look at the message, it was coined from chinua Achebe troubles with Nigeria... are the facts not there in your face there is really an underlying problem with the Igbo's polity that need to be addressed but you would rather stick to hate and illogical assertions

There is no problem with the Igbo, the problem is with Nigeria and their attempts to moderate the way the Igbos think. We are who we are, and we are not stopping others from being who they are.

10 Likes

Re: The Igbo Problem by Almaheed: 1:36pm On Jul 23, 2017
vanbonattel:

There is no problem with the Igbo, the problem is with Nigeria and their attempts to moderate the way the Igbos think. We are who we are, and we are not stopping others from being who they are.

of course the problem is with Nigeria, but there is also an Igbo problem which some certain elements among the Igbo community tend to carry around then anywhere they go, as much as they are the well traveled and industrious tribe in Nigeria they tend to undermine social values and cultures and constituted authority. this started because they themselves chose to disregard their own traditions and customs which as been cancerous to their existence as a Nation of people. which has brought about their relegation in the Nigeria political calculations
Re: The Igbo Problem by chiagozien(m): 1:50pm On Jul 23, 2017
Almaheed:

of course the problem is with Nigeria, but there is also an Igbo problem which some certain elements among the Igbo community tend to carry around then anywhere they go, as much as they are the well traveled and industrious tribe in Nigeria they tend to undermine social values and cultures and constituted authority. this started because they themselves chose to disregard their own traditions and customs which as been cancerous to their existence as a Nation of people. which has brought about their relegation in the Nigeria political calculations
you tribe that are in helm of nigeria politics what have they done for your tribe.

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Problem by Kazim88: 2:01pm On Jul 23, 2017
Almaheed:

But you can't change people ...

I have learned to accept Igbos for who they are.

look at the western world.. their culture and religion is constantly evolving.. that is like the panacea for development.

While Northern Nigeria are very conservative... they try as much as possible to retain their culture and heritage and avoid western influence ... but from the look of things those that clinge to culture are worst of...

while northern political class train all their children abroad... and encourage them to drop the Arewa mentality and accept western culture.

5 Likes

Re: The Igbo Problem by Almaheed: 2:28pm On Jul 23, 2017
Kazim88:

But you can't change people ...

I have learned to accept Igbos for who they are.

look at the western world.. their culture and religion is constantly evolving.. that is like the panacea for development.

While Northern Nigeria are very conservative... they try as much as possible to retain their culture and heritage and avoid western influence ... but from the look of things those that clinge to culture are worst of...

while northern political class train all their children abroad... and encourage them to drop the Arewa mentality and accept western culture.

we have all accepted the Igbo's for who they are, they are our brothers and sisters we share relatives, and blood lines have mixed. but the Igbo's need to understand that there is a fundamental problem when you begin to look at everybody as your enemy, you fight the northerners the westerners everyone that is not Igbo and you expect them to just look and watch... all other tribes have accepted the Igbo's into their community to do business, go across the federating state you would see that the Igbo man thrives with is business....why should the core easterners then begin to throw tantrum and start labeling every other tribes names, why should that be? tl

Igbo's lack a common voice of reason but would always rally behind anarchist and fifth columnist, as much as I agree with their agitations I find the means more troubling because they undermine reason and logic when you say all Igbo's should return to the east what about those who have mixed families, inter marriage between the Igbo trader and host community have existed for over 60years. let the Igbo's who live in the east think things through before they cause a problem they can't solve
Re: The Igbo Problem by Kazim88: 2:52pm On Jul 23, 2017
Almaheed:

we have all accepted the Igbo's for who they are, they are our brothers and sisters we share relatives, and blood lines have mixed. but the Igbo's need to understand that there is a fundamental problem when you begin to look at everybody as your enemy, you fight the northerners the westerners everyone that is not Igbo and you expect them to just look and watch... all other tribes have accepted the Igbo's into their community to do business, go across the federating state you would see that the Igbo man thrives with is business....why should the core easterners then begin to throw tantrum and start labeling every other tribes names, why should that be? tl

Igbo's lack a common voice of reason but would always rally behind anarchist and fifth columnist, as much as I agree with their agitations I find the means more troubling because they undermine reason and logic when you say all Igbo's should return to the east what about those who have mixed families, inter marriage between the Igbo trader and host community have existed for over 60years. let the Igbo's who live in the east think things through before they cause a problem they can't solve

Am not Ibo but the bolded is where you are wrong and where Nigeria failed.

There was no Reconciliation after a terrible war (A war where over 3 million minors died of starvation). A war instigated and fought out of ignorance... A war as a matter of fact the north pride themselves as the conquerors over the years and the Ibos accepted the role of the conquered.

Even when this new Biafra Agitation started I was expecting the FG to play the reconciliatory card... but it used force (Same conquerors vs Conquered) that was where the FG lost.

At the late end, after Amnesty International have Indicted FG for Torture and Killing etc
the FG did Biafra 50 years.

Tho Reconciliation between The Biafra and Nigeria is not late... one way is honor all war veteran both Nigeria and Biafra..

With a little empathy... If Nigeria had attacked my tribe and Killed 3 million... am not sure I would let it go.

but a genuine effort to explain what happened, and admit that both parties where wrong... and apologies to the future generations can go a long way to pacify all party.

Else..... In the nearest future the Ibos would terrorise this nation in vendetta.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Problem by vanbonattel: 2:59pm On Jul 23, 2017
Almaheed:

You started well, but fell down hard on the floor of common sense. Since the Igbos relegation from Nigerian political calculations, has anything good ever happened to Nigeria?

It even seems the vehicle of this nation veered into the bush since the Igbos stopped ruling. grin

5 Likes

Re: The Igbo Problem by Almaheed: 4:08pm On Jul 23, 2017
Kazim88:

There was no Reconciliation after a terrible war (A war where over 3 million minors died of starvation). A war instigated and fought out of ignorance... A war as a matter of fact the north pride themselves as the conquerors over the years and the Ibos accepted the role of the conquered.

Even when this new Biafra Agitation started I was expecting the FG to play the reconciliatory card... but it used force (Same conquerors vs Conquered) that was where the FG lost.

At the late end, after Amnesty International have Indicted FG for Torture and Killing etc

Tho Reconciliation between The Biafra and Nigeria is not late... one way is honor all war veteran both Nigeria and Biafra..

With a little empathy... If Nigeria had attacked my tribe and Killed 3 million... am not sure I would let it go.

but a genuine effort to explain what happened, and admit that both parties where wrong... and apologies to the future generations can go a long way to pacify all party.

Else..... In the nearest future the Ibos would terrorise this nation in vendetta.

you have spoke well, FG has failed in making right the wrongs of the past, and I find it despicable that they don't teach about the civil war in schools. indeed our arrogance towards history is why we have little progress in terms of development.

but the Igbo's have to understand that two wrongs can never make a right..to some extent I agree with the agitators of Biafra but looking at the bigger picture who is not marginalized in Nigeria, of course we all are! its the mode at which they come about their agitations is the problem. there seem to be anarchist twist to which they bring about their agitations

I believe the energy the eastern based Igbo's place on their agitations for secession is driven towards national development or better still restructuring we would be having a different discussion by now.
Re: The Igbo Problem by Kazim88: 4:17pm On Jul 23, 2017
Almaheed:

you have spoke well, FG has failed in making right the wrongs of the past, and I find it despicable that they don't teach about the civil war in schools. indeed our arrogance towards history is why we have little progress in terms of development.

but the Igbo's have to understand that two wrongs can never make a right..to some extent I agree with the agitators of Biafra but looking at the bigger picture who is not marginalized in Nigeria, of course we all are! its the mode at which they come about their agitations is the problem. there seem to be anarchist twist to which they bring about their agitations

I believe the energy the eastern based Igbo's place on their agitations for secession is driven towards national development or better still restructuring we would be having a different discussion by now.

History as subject have been removed from the curriculum.

personally you are right about rechanelling all the energy to positive use...

but trust me... it's a time bomb... not the agitation but the Government...

they are intentionally dividing the country along tribe... The North, The Igbos, The ND, The Yoruba .. Buhari own was worst...

and it is the gas feelin the agitation... Kanu was a Pro One Nigeria by 2002... but perhaps a little research he realized the whole north see them as conquered tribe.

like I said.... it's not too late....

We need reconciliation not even restructuring or revolution.

4 Likes

Re: The Igbo Problem by vanbonattel: 4:18pm On Jul 23, 2017
Almaheed:

Unfortunately, that is the only language the powers in Nigeria hears. If you reason with them, they willignore you till you agitate. Nigeria is a country with zero hope so their agitation is in order.

Which national development when fulani cows are destroying my crops? Does it mean I cannot farm in peace on my lands? You have to talk about the reasons which lead to the agitation.

6 Likes

Re: The Igbo Problem by Brooklynsouth(f): 4:29pm On Jul 23, 2017
Almaheed:

please Igbo's are no brothers to north and the west the later are uncircumcised

5 Likes

Re: The Igbo Problem by Almaheed: 4:37pm On Jul 23, 2017
vanbonattel:

Unfortunately, that is the only language the powers in Nigeria hears. If you reason with them, they willignore you till you agitate. Nigeria is a country with zero hope so their agitation is in order.

Which national development when fulani cows are destroying my crops? Does it mean I cannot farm in peace on my lands? You have to talk about the reasons which lead to the agitation.
I believe every tribe in Nigeria is facing the Fulani herdsmen menace, their menace is not restricted to one ethnic group it all ethnic group even the Hausa's some are tired of them.

I just feel in Nigeria we always try to malign ethnicity with development, which can never work...we have this My people syndrome, that tribe is a bad tribe, it is our turn mentality.. if we begin to address and reconcile national issues without any iota of ethnic coloration and religious undertone we would have a positive result in the nation.

maybe when start looking at the issues constructively then we might have hope again in this natiom
Re: The Igbo Problem by vanbonattel: 4:42pm On Jul 23, 2017
Almaheed:

I believe every tribe in Nigeria is facing the Fulani herdsmen menace, their menace is not restricted to one ethnic group it all ethnic group even the Hausa's some are tired of them.

I just feel in Nigeria we always try to malign ethnicity with development, which can never work...we have this My people syndrome, that tribe is a bad tribe, it is our turn mentality.. if we begin to address and reconcile national issues without any iota of ethnic coloration and religious undertone we would have a positive result in the nation.

maybe when start looking at the issues constructively then we might have hope again in this natiom

That everyone is suffering from the Fulanis and the Hausa are tired of them does not mean they should have an express right to enter my farm and destroy my crops.

My own tolerance level to persecution and victimization is very different, so if the federal government fails to protect me and my people, I quickly lose hope in their ability to do anything else.

There is no way of looking at any issues constructively when my crops are still being eaten by cows, while the government is now ruling from London. Do you now see why we are tired of a United Nigeria?

7 Likes

Re: The Igbo Problem by Almaheed: 4:44pm On Jul 23, 2017
Kazim88:

History as subject have been removed from the curriculum.

personally you are right about rechanelling all the energy to positive use...

but trust me... it's a time bomb... not the agitation but the Government...

they are intentionally dividing the country along tribe... The North, The Igbos, The ND, The Yoruba .. Buhari own was worst...

and it is the gas feelin the agitation... Kanu was a Pro One Nigeria by 2002... but perhaps a little research he realized the whole north see them as conquered tribe.

like I said.... it's not too late

We need reconciliation not even restructuring or revolution.

am so glad you stated the ethnic divisibility that our elites use against us, its a time bomb like you said and it could explode anytime soon if we don't thread softly.

without mincing words I stand with KANU to some extent, but the lack of tact and the abrasiveness to which he operates is what makes me disagree with him.

Nigeria is changing and the political demography is changing we are having more politically enlightened people and I hope this are the people that take the power away from the elite
Re: The Igbo Problem by Almaheed: 4:47pm On Jul 23, 2017
Brooklynsouth:
please Igbo's are no brothers to north and the west the later are uncircumcised

can you tell this to the Igbo's who are inter married across different ethnic groups in the country. your words reeks of hate and intolerance
Re: The Igbo Problem by Warship: 4:51pm On Jul 23, 2017
If Igbos are problem of Nigeria, while do Nigerians oppose them from seceding

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Problem by cjrane: 4:52pm On Jul 23, 2017
Peace is coming. It's shall be well with Nigeria

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Problem by Kazim88: 4:56pm On Jul 23, 2017
Warship:
If Igbos are problem of Nigeria, while do Nigerians oppose them from seceding

Nobody is stoping anybody... do it right.

Arewa youth, to avoid chaos have suggest that igbo should have their referendum through NASS.

https://www.nairaland.com/3941139/arewa-youth-practical-move-solve

That is what we are saying....

If Buhari had been around Nigeria would been flowing with Blood... Blood of Innocent citizens
Re: The Igbo Problem by Dainfamous: 4:58pm On Jul 23, 2017
vanbonattel:

real talk
Re: The Igbo Problem by Brooklynsouth(f): 4:59pm On Jul 23, 2017
Almaheed:

can you tell this to the Igbo's who are inter married across different ethnic groups in the country. your words reeks of hate and intolerance
hate ? that's too kind a word I despise north and sw with passion and any idiotic Igbo that married from those regions may oduduwa dirty boxers fall on them .why should marry Muslims and uncircumcised people

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Problem by Dainfamous: 5:19pm On Jul 23, 2017
Brooklynsouth:
hate ? that's too kind a word I despise north and sw with passion and any idiotic Igbo that married from those regions may oduduwa dirty boxers fall on them .why should marry Muslims and uncircumcised people
Those from mix marriages can have dual citizenship just like if u marry a Cameroonian or Ghanaian
Re: The Igbo Problem by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 23, 2017
When did FG use force against IPOD agitation?
I don't believe force was used.
Kazim88:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu And IPOB Vindicated Again! / If You Are Educated And Offended By Pmb's Comment On Lazy Youth, Then... / The Educated South Vs The Illiterate North Who Is Who? Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.