Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,188 members, 7,807,638 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:42 PM

Help!!! My Engineer Insists No Need For German Floor For My 2bedroom Bungalow - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help!!! My Engineer Insists No Need For German Floor For My 2bedroom Bungalow (5241 Views)

Pls How Much Will Finish This 2bedroom Bungalow / How Much Will Cost To Do German Floor In Itire Surulere / Pls What Is The Minimum Height Of Oversite Concrete(german Floor)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!!! My Engineer Insists No Need For German Floor For My 2bedroom Bungalow by Dandeedadrunk(m): 1:14am On Jul 24, 2017
I gave a project of 2bedroom bungalow to an engineer. The location is IBEJU LEKKI, he's insisting that no need for German floor as the land is not water logged.

He said DPC[Damp prove . ..] is ok. That I should avoid unnecessary spending. Pls your view on this?

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Engineer Insists No Need For German Floor For My 2bedroom Bungalow by MrRationaL(m): 1:27am On Jul 24, 2017
Hahahahaha
Re: Help!!! My Engineer Insists No Need For German Floor For My 2bedroom Bungalow by odiereke(m): 1:54am On Jul 24, 2017
Is not right at all please. Is your so called *Engineer* a Qualified Engineer or an Ordinary mason? You won't like the End Result. Insist on what you want and not what that your quack bricklayer is telling you PLEASE.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Engineer Insists No Need For German Floor For My 2bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 2:02am On Jul 24, 2017
The reasons to do it outweighs the reasons not to do it, so do it.

Follow great and accomplished builders on here like Aventures, AbdulWastecx, Kolashangone, Skimanski, Spyder880, etc see what they do

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Engineer Insists No Need For German Floor For My 2bedroom Bungalow by mufutau55(m): 3:24am On Jul 24, 2017
EgunMogaji:
The reasons to do it outweighs the reasons not to do it, so do it.
Follow great and accomplished builders on here like Aventures, AbdulWastecx, Kolashangone, Skimanski, Spyder880, etc see what they do

Simple questions...

Whose house is it? The Client or the Engineer?
Who suffers the consequences of not doing it?
Yes, cost is involved, but does the cost of doing it out-weighs the cost of not doing it in the long run?

Insist on doing your German Floor, it's not just for waterlogged area... it's your house.

Hajji M.

3 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Engineer Insists No Need For German Floor For My 2bedroom Bungalow by twinskenny(m): 5:10am On Jul 24, 2017
Even on Lagos ibadan expressway I did mine.not to talk of lekki
Re: Help!!! My Engineer Insists No Need For German Floor For My 2bedroom Bungalow by Nobody: 7:19am On Jul 24, 2017
mufutau55:

Simple questions...

Whose house is it? The Client or the Engineer?
Who suffers the consequences of not doing it?
Yes, cost is involved, but does the cost of doing it out-weighs the cost of not doing it in the long run?

Insist on doing your German Floor, it's not just for waterlogged area... it's your house.

Hajji M.

I have one neighbor like that. "Engineer said this", "Engineer said that".

So I told him my system/style. It's a partnership, I trust the engineers judgment, after all I hired him, but it doesn't override mine if I've done prudent research to come to a decision.

One day the Engineer is going to finish the job and say goodbye and then it's going to be the homeowner who will be left to deal with the structure, good or bad.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Engineer Insists No Need For German Floor For My 2bedroom Bungalow by spyder880(m): 7:45am On Jul 24, 2017
Dandeedadrunk:
I gave a project of 2bedroom bungalow to an engineer. The location is IBEJU LEKKI, he's insisting that no need for German floor as the land is not water logged.

He said DPC[Damp prove . ..] is ok. That I should avoid unnecessary spending. Pls your view on this?

In most building designs, the Over site concrete is a stated requirement and is needed to seal in all the other works in the foundation. It has nothing to do with a waterlogged area, as the specification for that is a change in the foundation type, not the course over the foundation. Look to see if it is contained in the building drawing, but I advice you should do it if the cost will not be a very big problem. Having said this, I have seen many houses where they were not done. And it didn't have any major consequences.

4 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Engineer Insists No Need For German Floor For My 2bedroom Bungalow by tevanso(m): 2:10pm On Jul 24, 2017
bro German floor is a structure on its own and it has its own function. don't have a 2nd thought about it now that u can do it,although u can decide to reduce the thickness. just my one cent

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Engineer Insists No Need For German Floor For My 2bedroom Bungalow by gabbytabby: 10:34am On Jul 27, 2017
spyder880:

In most building designs, the Over site concrete is a stated requirement and is needed to seal in all the other works in the foundation. It has nothing to do with a waterlogged area, as the specification for that is a change in the foundation type, not the course over the foundation. Look to see if it is contained in the building drawing, but I advice you should do it if the cost will not be a very big problem. Having said this, I have seen many houses where they were not done. And it didn't have any major consequences.

NO mind am do german floor.
Re: Help!!! My Engineer Insists No Need For German Floor For My 2bedroom Bungalow by phoenix480(m): 1:21pm On Jul 27, 2017
Please do not skip DPC (German floor) anywhere in the Ibeju lekki/Ajah/Lekki axis.

It is not advisable but forgivable in some very dry terrains.

Dandeedadrunk:

Re: Help!!! My Engineer Insists No Need For German Floor For My 2bedroom Bungalow by whalleh: 6:42pm On Aug 18, 2017
Hello people.

I just need some inputs and advice concerning my situation.

I have just completed the foundation for my twin flats (2bed and 1bedroom) and I'm about to take a decision on the German flooring.

Due to cost constraints I have at the moment, I'm forced to think of other options that will possibly achieve the same end results.

Instead of German flooring, I'm considering a 150mm thick concrete layer on the blocks alone throughout the entire foundation. I'm of the opinion that this option will stop ingress of moisture from the soil to the superstructure, prevent insects and rodents from moving through the soil to the roof, offer some sort of atabilizatin for the building and of course drastically reduce the cost associaTed with filling the entire foundation with concrete.

I'll like that you please look into my idea and advise me based on your experience.

Thanks in advance
Re: Help!!! My Engineer Insists No Need For German Floor For My 2bedroom Bungalow by Erums(m): 11:52am On Apr 06, 2021
whalleh:
Hello people.

I just need some inputs and advice concerning my situation.

I have just completed the foundation for my twin flats (2bed and 1bedroom) and I'm about to take a decision on the German flooring.

Due to cost constraints I have at the moment, I'm forced to think of other options that will possibly achieve the same end results.

Instead of German flooring, I'm considering a 150mm thick concrete layer on the blocks alone throughout the entire foundation. I'm of the opinion that this option will stop ingress of moisture from the soil to the superstructure, prevent insects and rodents from moving through the soil to the roof, offer some sort of atabilizatin for the building and of course drastically reduce the cost associaTed with filling the entire foundation with concrete.

I'll like that you please look into my idea and advise me based on your experience.

Thanks in advance

What did you finally do?

(1) (Reply)

1004 Estate V.I. And Luxury Gardens Ikoyi Apartments For Sale (pic n details) / Contemporary 3 Bedroom Bungalow Architectural Design / A factory with 2 warehouses, coldroom and 2 Admin blocks and 2 Big fields

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.