Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,870 members, 7,806,478 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:07 PM

There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe (26264 Views)

Three Powerful Atheists Who Converted To Christianity, A Must Read / Atheists Who Believe In The Supernatural Please Come In(discussion) / Atheists, Who Generates The Force That Rotates Planet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:09am On Jul 25, 2017
There are no gods to an atheist because no entity- abstract or concrete- is being elevated to a divine status (deity, deification) . So the atheist lacks the belief in deities simply because he is godless or without a deity (atheos) , nothing is a god or deity to an atheist . Simple .

Atheism is therefore , the rejection of deification . Yes , there are atheists who acknowledge the existence of intelligent source(s) of life on earth (Raelism) and there are those who believe the universe is created (defence of this stance comes , as they say , from the first cause argument) but they don't take the First Cause as a deity .

If you deify something or see it as a god , you are a theist ; if you don't see anything as a deity or god or deify something , you are an atheist .

Example
The pantheist sees the universe as a deity or a god , as an atheist you are not saying the universe does not exist because it is a deity , you simply reject deification . Use this simple logic to understand whatever I wrote above , it can be applied to just anything .

To prove this , here is a snippet by Pew Research revealing that indeed there are atheists who acknowledge the existence of the creator of the universe but they don't see it as a God or deity

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:10am On Jul 25, 2017
I conversed with an atheist on Twitter and he admitted that the First Cause , the creator of the universe exists but he does not accept that it is God . Do we have such atheists here ?

13 Likes

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:21am On Jul 25, 2017
Conclusion : Atheism rejects deification of an entity not its existence

Let me explain further

'God' or 'god' is just a title we humans can give to anything . Some monotheists say that the First Cause or creator of the universe is a deity or a God , some pantheists say the universe is God , the panentheist says that both the creator of the universe and the universe itself is God . Let's come home : There are human deities like Mary, the mother of Jesus in Collyridianism ; the ancient Emperors of China and Japan ; physical entities like the sun , moon , planets , stone , trees have all been deified or seen as gods in ancient times even now . What atheism does is to reject the deification of these entities , it does not deny or reject their existence . Same thing with atheists who acknowledge the existence of the creator of the universe , they don't see this creator as God or a deity .

Atheism is not the rejection of the existence of an entity because it is deified , it is not accepting the conferment of the godhood status on that entity be it the First Cause or anything else .

An atheist stance is : "nothing is a deity to me , nothing is a god to me , or nothing is divine to me "

This is what atheism is not the nonsense we are seeing on Nairaland by these 'atheists'

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by JackBizzle: 9:25am On Jul 25, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:
I conversed with an atheist on Twitter and he admitted that the First Cause , the creator of the universe exists but he does not accept that it is God . Do we have such atheists here ?

grin

Ebuka. I always smile when I read your threads.

On a serious note, no one knows the origin of the universe. There could be a cause and there might not be a cause. The first cause argument is myopic in the sense that it ignores the issue of infinite regress of an infinite number of creators.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by PastorAIO: 9:25am On Jul 25, 2017
That is a bit of a clever question. Too clever by half, I would say.

You are making deity a state of being ora condition. This way anything can fall into a state of being a diety and presumably fall out of it again.

What qualities would something have to have in order to qualify as being a deity?
In other words, how do you define deity?

How will you know that an entity is a deity when you see it?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by JackBizzle: 9:29am On Jul 25, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:
If an atheist tells a pantheist "God does not exist " , is the atheist rejecting the appellation of the universe as god or is he denying the existence of the universe because it has been identified by an pantheist as god .

Very good question.

I can only speak of my brand of evangelical atheism. Deeper life atheism.

Now, as an atheist, I reject all kinds of gods. I see no difference between calling a stone "god" and calling the universe "god".

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:31am On Jul 25, 2017
JackBizzle:

Very good question.

Now, as an atheist, I reject all kinds of gods. I see no difference between calling a stone "god" and calling the universe "god".

You reject all kinds of Gods . So you are not rejecting the existence , you are rejecting its deification ?

2 Likes

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:34am On Jul 25, 2017
PastorAIO:
That is a bit of a clever question. Too clever by half, I would say.

You are making deity a state of being ora condition. This way anything can fall into a state of being a diety and presumably fall out of it again.

What qualities would something have to have in order to qualify as being a deity?
In other words, how do you define deity?

How will you know that an entity is a deity when you see it?

Exactly what I asked the atheist on this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3928705/needed-atheist-friends-website/1#58573613

Since they reject my claims that an entity is a deity , what then makes an entity a deity ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by JackBizzle: 9:35am On Jul 25, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

You reject all kinds of Gods . So you are not rejecting the existence , you are rejecting its deification ?

I reject deification.

Existence is another can of worms.

A stone exists. The universe exists. Some God-like aliens could exist.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by MrMontella(m): 9:37am On Jul 25, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:
The pantheists believe the universe is god . The idol worshipers basically worship and deify anything from living things to inanimate objects . We logical theists believe in the existence of God , the First Cause , the precursor of everything that exists- the mind behind the existence of the universe

Nowadays , just anything can be called god . I can wish to call my mobile device , my shoe , toenail 'god' . You get the picture now right ?

So my people here is my question :

Is Atheism the rejection of the deification of an entity or is it the denial of the existence of an entity because its a deity or god ?
lack of belief in a deity.
then for Gnostic atheists, absence of a deity.
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:38am On Jul 25, 2017
JackBizzle:

grin

grin

Ebuka. I always smile when I read your threads.

smiley

On a serious note, no one knows the origin of the universe.

The ORIGIN of the universe ? This means you accept it has a beginning

There could be a cause and there might not be a cause.

Since the universe has an origin , it will definitely have a cause . Why do you reject the pantheist claim that the universe is a deity ?

The first cause argument is myopic in the sense that it ignores the issue of infinite regress of an infinite number of creators.

We are not concerned with the number of creators , atheism is defeated either way . Why can't you see this ?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by MrMontella(m): 9:38am On Jul 25, 2017
JackBizzle:

Very good question.

deeper life atheism, lol.. typical jackbizzle
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:41am On Jul 25, 2017
MrMontella:

lack of belief in a deity.
then for Gnostic atheists, absence of a deity.

So to the Gnostic atheists , the universe does not exist if I call it a deity ?? undecided

So to the gnostic atheists , my mobile device does not exist if I call it a deity ?

Interesting !

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by MrMontella(m): 9:45am On Jul 25, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

So to the Gnostic atheists , the universe does not exist if I call it a deity ?? undecided

So to the gnostic atheists , my mobile device does not exist if I call it a deity ?

Interesting !
I think they deem it illogical for the universe to be a deity.

1 Like

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:45am On Jul 25, 2017
JackBizzle:

I reject deification.

Existence is another can of worms.

A stone exists. The universe exists. Some God-like aliens could exist.

You reject deification ? Well if you reject deification , then where is the sense in atheism ? Because it is definitely elusive here

2 Likes

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:47am On Jul 25, 2017
MrMontella:

I think they deem it illogical for the universe to be a deity.

Really ? Why so ?

Does this mean you believe a deity should have certain attributes , what are they ?

1 Like

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by JackBizzle: 9:48am On Jul 25, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

grin

smiley

The ORIGIN of the universe ? This means you accept it has a beginning

Since the universe has an origin , it will definitely have a cause . Why do you reject the pantheist claim that the universe is a deity ?

We are not concerned with the number of creators , atheism is defeated either way . Why can't you see this ?

Interesting.

I use the word 'origin' loosely. I could have used the word 'history.

To be specific, the universe might not truly have a beginning. It could be eternal. No one knows.

The things you really need to understand-

1. A creator does not equate to a god. If we humans create synthetic life *robots*, it does not make us gods.

2. There is no evidence for a celestial creator that created the universe. None at all.

-

6 Likes

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by JackBizzle: 9:50am On Jul 25, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

You reject deification ? Well if you reject deification , then where is the sense in atheism ? Because it is definitely elusive here

Elusive? Like the lack of evidence for God?

Like the evidence for prayer healing people and miracles?

Like your honesty? Why do you argue for pantheists and deism when you are a Christian?

1 Like

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:55am On Jul 25, 2017
JackBizzle:

To be specific, the universe might not truly have a beginning. It could be eternal. No one knows.

You are meticulous about infinite creators and infinite regress of creators' creators . So tell me , how does an eternal universe

1. Preclude the existence of infinite creators which you deem illogical

2. Preclude the existence of God , this time around a mind which continuously interact with the universe to ensure the continuity of its existence from past infinitude .

The things you really need to understand-
A creator does not equate to a god. If we humans create synthetic life *robots*, it does not make us gods.

What then makes a creator , a god ?

2. There is no evidence for a celestial creator that created the universe. None at all.
-

This a conjecture , you'll see how from your response to my questions .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:59am On Jul 25, 2017
JackBizzle:

Elusive? Like the lack of evidence for God?

There is no such thing as lack of evidence for God . The pantheist sees the universe as god , isn't it evident that the universe as exists ? If I see my mobile device as god isn't it evident that mobile device exists

Like the evidence for prayer healing people and miracles?
That means you believe a God should be heal people and perform miracles right ? Then if it does not , then it is not worthy to be called a God ?

Like your honesty? Why do you argue for pantheists and deism when you are a Christian?

Pantheism and Deism are types of theism and Christians are theists , while you are an A-theist . Do you get it now ?
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by MrMontella(m): 10:04am On Jul 25, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Really ? Why so ?

Does this mean you believe a deity should have certain attributes , what are they ?
I'm not a Gnostic atheist Biko lol...

I'd say attributes such as being animate, full of evidence of being the author deity etc.
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by JackBizzle: 10:15am On Jul 25, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

You are meticulous about infinite creators and infinite regress of creators' creators . So tell me , how does an eternal universe

1. Preclude the existence of infinite creators which you deem illogical

2. Preclude the existence of God , this time around a mind which continuously interact with the universe to ensure the continuity of its existence from past infinitude .

What then makes a creator , a god ?

This a conjecture , you'll see how from your response to my questions .

If the universe was eternal, this means that there was no creator involved. The universe just existed

3 Likes

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by MrMontella(m): 10:18am On Jul 25, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

There is no such thing as lack of evidence for God . The pantheist sees the universe as god , isn't it evident that the universe as exists ? If I see my mobile device as god isn't it evident that mobile device exists

That means you believe a God should be heal people and perform miracles right ? Then if it does not , then it is not worthy to be called a God ?

Pantheism and Deism are types of theism and Christians are theists , while you are an A-theist . Do you get it now ?
I rebuke this rubbish,
Deism a type of theism?
which century did this one start?
Deism is a concept of its own.
Deism is "non-theistic"
personal god's are a No in deism na.

unless your theism simply means God exists.
is it what you mean?

4 Likes

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:26am On Jul 25, 2017
MrMontella:

I rebuke this rubbish,
Deism a type of theism?
which century did this one start?
Deism is a concept of its own.
Deism is "non-theistic"
personal god's are a No in deism na.

unless your theism simply means God exists.
is it what you mean?

Please receive sense

https://www.thoughtco.com/types-of-theism-95709

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:33am On Jul 25, 2017
JackBizzle:

If the universe was eternal, this means that there was no creator involved. The universe just existed

Do you mean the universe as a whole? If you mean the universe as a whole , then how do you circumvent infinite regress of causes ?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:39am On Jul 25, 2017
MrMontella:

I'm not a Gnostic atheist Biko lol...

I'd say attributes such as being animate, full of evidence of being the author deity etc.

That means there are attributes that you believe a deity must possess , and if the deity does not posses this then its not worthy to be called God or a deity right ?
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by MrMontella(m): 10:40am On Jul 25, 2017
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by urheme: 10:54am On Jul 25, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Interesting !

grin grin grin

The catch .... grin grin grin grin

JackBizzle:

If the universe was[/b][b][b][/b] eternal, this means that there was no creator involved. The universe just existed

let the universe pass before you conclude

1 Like 1 Share

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by JackBizzle: 11:34am On Jul 25, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Do you mean the universe as a whole? If you mean the universe as a whole , then how do you circumvent infinite regress of causes ?

That's the point. It is paradoxical and unsolvable

2 Likes

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by PastorAIO: 12:52pm On Jul 25, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Exactly what I asked the atheist on this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3928705/needed-atheist-friends-website/1#58573613

Since they reject my claims that an entity is a deity , what then makes an entity a deity ?

It is certainly an interesting question and one that has plagued christianity for centuries.

Many believed that Jesus became a deity at his baptism ( This is my beloved son with whom I'm well pleased).

Many believed that he became a deity at his resurrection.

7"I will surely tell of the decree of the LORD: He said to Me, 'You are My Son, Today I have begotten You

Then later came the idea that Jesus always existed as a deity and merely incarnated into flesh. This was the idea that won the battle in the Council of Nicea. ('Begotten not made, one substance with the father').

In the ancient world at that time the notion of a human being becoming a deity was extremely common. But what did they mean by it? Augustus Caesar was considered a deity. Ancient heroes like Achilles and Hercules were considered deities. etc etc

What did they mean when they said a person had become a deity? What do yoruba mean when they speak of someone that 'o ti di orisa'?

Before we can go around saying someone is a deity or has become a deity we need to know what we mean by deity. What has changed in the person that became a deity?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by PastorAIO: 12:54pm On Jul 25, 2017
JackBizzle:

Very good question.

You be funny man. 'Deeper life Atheism' hahahaha!!!

But what do you understand is being said when someone calls a stone 'God'.?
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by PastorAIO: 1:02pm On Jul 25, 2017
What about this scenario? Please, this requires imagination which is often quite difficult for NL-ers to exercise but if you can try I would really appreciate.

Imagine this:

That a god, let us say Yahweh, created the universe and ruled it for a little while, then somehow one day he loses his mojo. He can't do anymore miracles. Nothing he wills comes to pass. etc etc

Would he still be a deity?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Throwback Picture Of Adeboye And Bishop Oyedepo / Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? / Prophet Uebert Angel Buys Can-Am For Himself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.