Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,850 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:28 AM

The Devil Wears Okrika - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Devil Wears Okrika (624960 Views)

The Devil's Love (a Tale Of A Rapist) By John Mfon / A Walk With The Devil (Vol. 1) By Devilpen / The Devil In The Suit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by honourable356(m): 5:28pm On Aug 09, 2017
Souloho19 again with another double awesome update.. I take it that he didn't proof read it before posting.. so all grammatical and mis-spelt errors should be outrightly ignored.

No matter the delay, it is just worth the wait..
The updates always achieve what it was sent to achieve...
Your appetite would be unquenchable..
You will desire for more and more..
Every update is a hit..
With souloho19 on the wheel, you are on for one hell of an adventurous ride.
It is 100% guaranteed!

Hey countrygirl.... you ever read his first work?? I am sure you have!
It was not one you can easily predict especially whenever he is in his flow if I can recall accurately ... so think outside the box for a moment. probably another character could be introduced.

But...

You could still be right through as all direction point to Steve the white man.. In my opinion, the drunkard is out of the equation(i could still be wrong, you know?)

However having read delay diagonised carefully.. enjoying the intruges , I refused to take the bait here..

I think we all need more clues....to know who the so called devil is.

Ladies and gentlemen.. enjoy the fun!

8 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by donteanz(m): 5:31pm On Aug 09, 2017
Countrygirl:
grin grin that's because I'm confused
You better cry out to souloho19 to bring you outta the dark. Even me self confuse pass you.
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by meneski(m): 5:35pm On Aug 09, 2017
The devil is a bad guy... Dat am sure of.
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Jazmiynne: 5:45pm On Aug 09, 2017
Castleberry:
Its either Steve or the drunkard.

You just hit the mark smiley

I've suspected the drunkard since his character was introduced. My thoughts though

But I'm almost certain its not Stevenson, that would be too predictable. Having read his former writing (delayed diagnosis), the writer doesn't come off as one who would make the "devil" so obvious.

2 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Castleberry: 6:03pm On Aug 09, 2017
Jazmiynne:

You just hit the mark smiley

I've suspected the drunkard since his character was introduced. My thoughts though

But I'm almost certain its not Stevenson, that would be too predictable. Having read his former writing (delayed diagnosis), the writer doesn't come off as one who would make the "devil" so obvious.
I have a strong feeling about the drunkard. He's always starting at Amara. Now he's staring at Osi on the crusade ground. Remember the part where the devil was dressing up to go out at night? I suspect Stevenson here
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Countrygirl(f): 7:48pm On Aug 09, 2017
honourable356:
Souloho19 again with another double awesome update.. I take it that he didn't proof read it before posting.. so all grammatical and mis-spelt errors should be outrightly ignored.

It was not one you can easily predict especially whenever he is in his flow if I can recall accurately ... so think outside the box for a moment. probably another character could be introduced.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Mobecs(f): 8:59pm On Aug 09, 2017
Finally caught up with you Souloho, good stuff as usual. I actually don't think either OK or Steve is the devil, their characters are too obvious. The devil could be Paul, rmb October 1st......just saying sha

2 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Maryclaire1(f): 12:06am On Aug 10, 2017
Let me be observing with my 3D glasses cos soul can twist it and turn it to another dimension entirely..Mobecs I thought of that too smiley I love that film.. everybody na suspect ooo even pastor Bartholomew..
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Damselbae: 8:47am On Aug 10, 2017
Am suspecting everyone too
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Mobecs(f): 9:06am On Aug 10, 2017
Maryclaire1:
Let me be observing with my 3D glasses cos soul can twist it and turn it to another dimension entirely..Mobecs I thought of that too smiley I love that film.. everybody na suspect ooo even pastor Bartholomew..
True...the devil could be an angel you know, love and trust. keeping my fingers crossed. Souloho time for breakfast ooo, oya serve d update sharpaly.

2 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 9:09am On Aug 10, 2017
honourable356:

Every update is a hit..
It is 100% guaranteed!

But...

You could still be right through as all direction point to Steve the white man.. In my opinion, the drunkard is out of the equation(i could still be wrong, you know?)

However having read delay diagonised carefully.. enjoying the intruges , I refused to take the bait here..

Lool, thanks boss you're a wonderful person.
As for the devil...(evil laugh)
It could be Osi himself..who knows.. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 9:10am On Aug 10, 2017
Countrygirl:
I think Steve is the devil
grin
bakeuhappy:
I think Steve is the devil..
grin
Castleberry:
Its either Steve or the drunkard.
grin
Jazmiynne:

I'm almost certain its not Stevenson
grin
Mobecs:
The devil could be Paul,
grin
Maryclaire1:
everybody na suspect ooo
grin
Damselbae:
Am suspecting everyone too
grin
I'm soo loving this cheesy

meneski:
The devil is a bad guy... Dat am sure of.
Now this is very true

5 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 9:19am On Aug 10, 2017
"That was a very powerful sermon Greg!" Osi gripped Gregory by the shoulders shaking him excitedly.
Greg laughed, shrugging modestly.

Osi turned around, he saw pastor Batholomew and called after him.
"Pastor..that your choir...the special number was on fire!"
Pastor Batholomew beamed with pride.
The service had drawn to a close at 9pm and everyone had left feeling refreshed. A certain kind of peace and calm had seemed to settle on the villagers as the overhead bulbs had illuminated the podium, the speakers pulsed with sound vibrations and the open sky afforded a view of countless beautiful stars whenever one looked up to the sky. For a minute, every thing had felt soo....so divine.
They had all left the service half an hour ago with the mentality: God is in town, the devil must flee..

Osi could hardly control his excitement, the crusade had started really well, he hadn't even realized the amount of tension he was in, or the amount of pressure he was under.

Few feet away, packing the chairs and taking down the speakers, his friends watched him talk to the Reverend.
"He's under too much stress" Bukky commented frowning.

"I agree, the weight of responsibility must be crushing his slender shoulders" the Deacon retorted. Not one to engage in the physical work, he stood a short distance away scrolling through his phone. He had overheard Bukky talking to Ovie and replied her.
Now he walked over menacingly and she fell silent.
"Can we hurry up and retire, we have a lot planned for tomorrow yet your leader seems to think the crusade has ended today"

Bukky continued folding the carpet and Ovie picked up the speaker he had been about to carry but he couldn't help it "sir..with all due respect your attitude towards us isn't right...I see no need for the hostility, we are a team. All of us"
"huh!" The deacon scoffed "I know how you young people are! someone has to keep you grounded all the time" he spat the words at Ovie's retreating back.

"So I'd meet you up for the evangelism tomorrow morning"
"No problem pastor..have a good night"
Osi shook hands with pastor Batholomew as the latter took his leave.

°•°•°•°•
Paul walked Amara back home that night. The sky was pregnant with stars and it just felt like a romantic night.
He took her hand in his.
"Hope you enjoyed the service?" He asked her
"Yes I did.." She gently removed her hands from his.
"Paul..." She began
"You know what...I think the weather is too cold for that shirt you have on" he interrupted her. Somehow he just knew where she was going and he didn't want to hear it. He removed his leather jacket and put it round her shoulders.

They continued the walk in silence, each of them lost in their thoughts. However, Amara's next question would be an indication of the region her thoughts had strayed.

"What did you think of the pastor?"
Paul blinked as he stared at her trying to clear his own thoughts. He had been going through different lines in his head trying to come up with one that would be perfect.
"Pastor....what pastor. Oh, the one that preached?"
"No..the first one that gave the opening talk"
"Oh..he's a pastor?"
"Yes"
He shrugged "Amara what do you have planned tomorrow?"

Amara looked at Paul and shook her head. She knew she had to make her thoughts clear towards him. They could only be friends, she wasn't ready for anything else. She was about to say something when she heard a noise- a rustle of leaves coming from the bushes she stopped, taking Paul's hand in hers and stopping him also.

Chinaza was a light skinned girl in her mid twenties. Friends was too strong a word to be used when describing she and Amara, they spoke to each other in the market square and whenever they saw but it was no deeper than that.

Now she emerged, carrying a log of firewood on her head.
"Chinaza, where to? Its too late to be out alone o"
She sighed "Amara, I had to get this firewood for something important..I need to prepare something overnight" she glanced at Paul "Paul....I heard you're back, welcome how was your journey"
"It was wonderful..long time Chinaza...how's your dad?"
She sighed, her eyes getting downcast "he's alright..."
An uncomfortable silence followed.
"Well...lemme be going, see you later Amara, Paul"
"Wait...why don't we walk with you till you get to your house path" Amara asked.
Chinaza was surprised "but its not along your own path"
"Don't worry I'll take the longer route, we have to look after ourselves and I'm sure Paul won't mind.
"Of course I won't..no problem" Paul spoke up hurriedly.

He led the way, walking slightly ahead of the girls while they talked.
But his shoulders seemed tensed. In fact Amara thought she could detect a little tension between Chinaza and Paul.

•°•°•°•
Osi and Gregory waited behind at the market square. The driver had carried the last batch of the chairs and carpet and instruments but the remaining space could only take three people.

Ovie equalled two already and Bukky was definitely the first choice, so Gregory and Osi had stayed behind, praying and thanking God for the service.

Just as Osi was finishing the grace, he felt a presence from the shadows. Behind a banana tree he saw a kind of movement, or was it his imagination?
He squinted hard pointing the flash light he held towards the direction.
"What is it? What's wrong?" Gregory asked
"Nothing, I thought I saw something?"
"Saw something?...who's there?!" Gregory called out.
"Relax..it must be an animal, no need to get worked up for nothing"

When Samuel returned, revving the engine of the bus and waiting for the pastors to get inside, Osi suddenly felt courageous to check out the tree from earlier. partly majorly due to the fact that the bright beam from the vehicle's headlights illuminated everywhere.

He pointed his touch behind the tree noticing nothing spectacular, just rubbish littered on the floor. A banana peel, an empty alcohol bottle, a cigarette butt and a basket of rotten tomatoes which must have been dumped by one of the market women. He decided that was probably what had attracted the animal, maybe a cat.
he directed the beam back to the bottle on the ground trying to remember where he had seen it before.
His phone rang breaking into his thoughts and causing him to jerk involuntarily: it was the reverend, from Port Harcourt. He answered the call and hurried towards the bus.
"Hello Reverend..."

°•°•°•
Chinaza's father was suffering severe arthritis. That was the formal medical term.
However it was rumoured that he had been afflicted by a dibia in the neighbouring village over a land dispute he had with his cousins from his mother side.

And truly, should one ever experience him shouting from pains and suffering from swelling of the joints that rendering him stiff and motionless, one would think the symptoms were too 'severe' to be severe arthritis.

Chinaza had been given the recipe and concocted a herb mixture every first few days of a week to last for two weeks. The procedure was stressful (she would have to boil a certain leave overnight, waking up at intervals to change firewood and pour the then coloured water into different jugs before refilling it) but whenever her father drank it, he seemed to feel better, the pains lessoned and he could sit up, talk easier and even stand.
She was the only child and the only one to look after her father as her mother was late. She performed her duties diligently, she couldn't bear to see her father in pain.

When she got home, after saying good bye to Amara and Paul, she hummed to herself as she thought of Paul, he had behaved so aloof..so indifferent...
She focused on the task at hand when she heard her father cry out in pain from his room. She arranged the massive pot, set the fire then put the leaves in the water.
She placed her hands on her hips, deep in thought as she studied the basin of water and then the log of firewood she had fetched. She knew she would need one more.

°•°•°•

The devil roamed in the night. He was an opportunistic offender, one that moved about looking for the right opportunity to strike. But lately he had been falling deeper into his horrible urges.
The interruption from earlier had left him feeling foul, he had been primed and ready, eager to strike then that man had shown up....that..that..
He kicked the sand in anger as he remembered the interruption.
He was tuned up and there was no way he could get tuned down...no...he had to hunt! He could lose his sanity(the irony) if he didn't get satisfied immediately. He walked round the village looking idly about but no such luck. He decided to head to the woods. It had worked for him before, if he could find any animal he would be fine. Bestiality had been a way out before, when the lust had been too much to bear. If not he knew he would make a mistake, slip up in public and he couldn't afford to let that happen...

°•°•°•°•
Amara knew her father would be waiting for her and she could tell he had been happy to see Paul bring her home. He even offered the extra room to Paul saying it was too late to move about but the young man declined his offer. He waved Amara goodnight with a smile and hailed Dé Nwachukwu with eulogies before taking his leave.
"Such a nice young man...he would make a fine son in law" her father commented as he shut the gate.
Amara rolled her eyes and went to bed.

°•°•°•
Chinaza walked the bushy path in the woods with her axe in hand. She couldn't help it as her mind drifted to the recent killings. The first girl had been her close friend.
But Chinaza was tough, she didn't grow up under the roof of a man like her father and end up soft.

She swung the axe with precision splitting the log. She wouldn't hesitate to use the axe in defending herself.
She stopped suddenly and listened....
Nothing...it was just the night.
She continued with her task.

°•°•°••°

The devil licked his lips as he watched her from the distance.
He knew he was going to have her

°•°•°•°
Chinaza was tying the logs with a piece of cloth when she heard a sound from behind.
She gripped the axe and turned sharply.

But then she relaxed when she saw him.
"Oh...I didn't expect to see you"
She relaxed the hold on her axe.

°•°•°•

The devil smiled...
"You shouldn't be out alone"

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Mobecs(f): 10:02am On Aug 10, 2017
You see!!!! I can bet my Christmas chicken on it that Paul is the Devil. Chai Souloho dis suspense odi too much.�

2 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Igyeseh(m): 11:09am On Aug 10, 2017
Mobecs:
You see!!!! I can bet my Christmas chicken on it that Paul is the Devil. Chai Souloho dis suspense odi too much.�
Paul is the devil.
Did you remember the girls started dying before Paul came back from the city?
And did you also remember since Paul returned, no casualty has been reported.
Let me give you some clues to the devil...a peel of banana, an empty bottle of alcoholic drink and butt of cigarates.
Did you remember who always seat under a tree in market square?
Should I mention the devil's name?

4 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Castleberry: 11:10am On Aug 10, 2017
Mobecs:
But Paul just got back from the city, the two girls died before his return. It's not him. It's not the drunkard or Stevenson either. I'm deeply confused undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Castleberry: 11:13am On Aug 10, 2017
Igyeseh:

Paul is the devil.
Did you remember the girls started dying before Paul came back from the city?
And did you also remember since Paul returned, no casualty has been reported.
Let me give you some clues to the devil...a peel of banana, an empty bottle of alcoholic drink and butt of cigarates.
Did you remember who always seat under a tree in market square?
Should I mention the devil's name?
It's not the drunkard. Is it? I don't think Chinaza would have responded to his presence that way

3 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Nobody: 11:13am On Aug 10, 2017
From delayed diagnosis, I ended up here.
Nice work souloho19, Mention me in ur next update...
I have a feeling Steven is the devil, Oyinbo doesn't just wear okrika... but this one did...

6 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by donteanz(m): 12:31pm On Aug 10, 2017
oya WO!!! THIS ONE IS SUPERB. SOULOHO19 MR. TWISTER

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Mobecs(f): 12:49pm On Aug 10, 2017
Yeah Paul just got back, but he wasn't seen coming down from the bus, his sister met him at a shop where he was buying a drink. It could have been a ruse to take attention away from him. He had been around before he told his family. Plus I still think the devil would know better than to leave things that would give him away behind, he is a smart badass....my thoughts sha.

3 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by smokeydrinky: 1:15pm On Aug 10, 2017
Mobecs:

I don't think it's Paul. Remember that 2 girls had already been murdered before he came back. It's not Paul.

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by meneski(m): 1:23pm On Aug 10, 2017
ohhhhh which kind suspence b dis na ehn? Souloho19 are u sure u aint the devil
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by nanadeeva01(f): 1:24pm On Aug 10, 2017
Mobecs:
Yeah Paul just got back, but he wasn't seen coming down from the bus, his sister met him at a shop where he was buying a drink. It could have been a ruse to take attention away from him. He had been around before he told his family. Plus I still think the devil would know better than to leave things that would give him away behind, he is a smart badass....my thoughts sha.
Exactly my thought
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Oyindawealth(f): 1:28pm On Aug 10, 2017
honourable356:

Every update is a hit..
It is 100% guaranteed!

But...

I so luv dis comment.... U av said my mind........but wait oooo..... Who come be d devil now I'm guessing it's d oyinbo, Steve....
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 3:55pm On Aug 10, 2017
pls who is guruboi posting this story on waploaded is ur brain paining you
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by absoul: 3:59pm On Aug 10, 2017
divepen1 pls unban souloho19
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Tolezy001(m): 4:48pm On Aug 10, 2017
Soul i think you should let your readers know who the devil is.

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by eitsei(m): 5:01pm On Aug 10, 2017
Tolezy001:
Soul i think you should let your readers know who the devil is.
you want the story to end already?

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Raintaker(m): 6:35pm On Aug 10, 2017
Lol Nice one.
The devil is a young man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Raintaker(m): 6:35pm On Aug 10, 2017
Lol Nice one.
The devil is a young man.

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Countrygirl(f): 6:53pm On Aug 10, 2017
The devil is a 'friend'

Please, nobody should copy this story without permission cause if the poster puts it on hold because of you. I will swear for your life oo

Weldone boss,

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (84) (Reply)

All In A Circle.....(A crime story) / Deceitful Couple / My Complicated Love Story With My School Mum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.