Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,991 members, 7,799,409 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

The Devil Wears Okrika - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Devil Wears Okrika (625742 Views)

The Devil's Love (a Tale Of A Rapist) By John Mfon / A Walk With The Devil (Vol. 1) By Devilpen / The Devil In The Suit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Frankenstein: 7:10pm On Aug 10, 2017
Countrygirl:
Before I continue, I think Steve is the devil, how did he know osi is the pastor if not the bush where his evil plan was thwarted.

Then odili that is always with alcohol,

I'm confused oo, soul 'Joy wants more'
That's what makes a good writer. Keep the readers engaged and guessing!

2 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Frankenstein: 7:12pm On Aug 10, 2017
souloho19:
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin I'm soo loving this cheesy

Now this is very true
Hihihihi. That feeling!

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Frankenstein: 7:12pm On Aug 10, 2017
souloho19:
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin I'm soo loving this cheesy

Now this is very true
Hihihihi. That feeling! grin

2 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Frankenstein: 7:15pm On Aug 10, 2017
What if the devil is Pastor Bartholomew? grin

6 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Countrygirl(f): 7:17pm On Aug 10, 2017
Frankenstein:
That's what makes a good writer. Keep the readers engaged and guessing!
He's actually good grin

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by meneski(m): 7:36pm On Aug 10, 2017
Countrygirl:
He's actually good grin
Yes his gooder and the goodest

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Countrygirl(f): 7:37pm On Aug 10, 2017
meneski:
Yes his gooder and the goodest
hihihi

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by kingofcasting(m): 7:53pm On Aug 10, 2017
souloho19:
CHAPTER 1
The fume from the generator entered his office directly, making him cough in his sleep. His eyes fluttered open as he inhaled the deadly gas. He mumbled incoherently to himself and got up, dragging his feet tiredly as he shut the window. His ceiling fan didn’t provide much breeze and he had to rely on cross ventilation from outside most of the time. But his office was badly positioned and anytime the generator was on, he had to shut his window because of the air pollution. He stretched and cracked his knuckles as he returned to his seat. He had been updating a form about the monthly expenditures of the youth church before he dozed off.
His name was Osita Azikwe, he was called Osi by everyone or pastor Osi by his church members, mostly the youths. He had been ordained as the youth pastor of New Life Ministries barely a month ago and he remained devoted to his duties.
As a young man, he had a very good rapport with the youths and was able to maintain a good interaction with them on any topic. He strived hard to maintain a relationship were they could reach him for any advice and he could gently but firmly instill morals and the rules of righteous living in them.
He was two weeks shy of his twenty sixth birthday and remained the youngest pastor in the church. He was chocolate in complexion and very lanky. He had a towering height at 6’2 but was quite on the slim side. He had never entered a gym in his life and saw no reason for it. He detested violence and to be frank, he was never conscious about hisn outward look. He was extremely good looking with his stand out feature being the dimples on both sides of his cheeks and an Adam’s apple that bobbled whenever he talked.
Osi was the fifth and last child 0f his parents. An igbo father and a Yoruba mother. For long he had harboured anger towards his parents because all his siblings had been born outside the country. In the United States. But when his mother had been pregnant with him, she had risked having a miscarriage and flown back to Nigeria to be beside her father who was dying. Osi had been born a week later and his grandfather had gotten better.
When his visa application was continually denied while his siblings (Two boys and two girls) had flown in and out of the country, going to the states and coming back with pictures he had been filled with so much bitterness and had sent himself on exile. When he had graduated (Mechanical engineering) from the university of Portharcourt, he had remained in the state vowing to settle down and cut all ties with his family.
All that had changed when he met Reverend Okafor: The overseer of ‘New Life Ministries’. He found a new life and released himself from all anger and bitterness and reconciled with his family. Three years later, he was the youth pastor of the church and was immensely satisfied with his life.
Presently, he was busy with updating the Expenses for the month of May of the youth church. “We need a new Drum set, new amplifier…..definitely a new generator” he said to himself as he resumed his duty.
There was a knock on the door and he glanced up.
“Come in”
A young lady walked in “Pastor Osi, good afternoon please the reverend wants to see you”
“Theresa, how are you. You’re in church for choir practice?”
She nodded shyly “Yes….I have a special number to perform tomorrow”
Osi smiled “Wonderful! I can’t wait…tell the reverend I’d be with him shortly”

Reverend Okafor was in his late fifties. He had a powerful aura about him and a rich, deep voice which most times didn’t need the help of a microphone to reach everybody during a sermon.
He leaned on the pillar, watching the choir go through the practice for their song in preparation for the Sunday service the next day. He saw Theresa hurry to take her place, She had such a lovely voice: He thought to himself with a smile. He was about to ask her about the young pastor when his eyes caught movement from the rear of the church. His smile grew wider as he watched Osi’s lanky frame make his way towards him. He had a special fondness for the young pastor and indeed he loved him like a son.
“Let’s go to my office!” he shouted over the choir’s uniform voice blasting from the overhead speakers.
Osi nodded curtly and followed the reverend.
“Are you done with filling the expenses?” Reverend Okafor asked, settling behind his desk, sinking into his massive comfortable leather seat.
Osi sat down across from him “Not yet sir, I’m almost done”
“Okay, that wasn’t why I called you anyway” the reverend replied
Osi got up and opened the mini fridge. He removed a bottle water and returned to his seat. His relationship with the reverend was a free one. They both had a deep regard for each other and enjoyed an enviable easiness in their interaction.
The reverend’s office was spacious, the walls were decorated with framed photographs containing motivational quotes and bible scriptures. On the table was a framed photograph of his wife and two daughters.
Osi drank deeply from the bottle. the water was chilled. “I’m listening sir”
“Well you know of our rural uplifting crusade coming up”
“Yes sir”
“There’s been some changes”
“What happened! What kind of changes?”
The reverend leaned back in his seat. “Osi do you believe God has a unique purpose for everyone?”
Osi had no idea where the reverend was going (or coming from) but he nodded slowly.
“Years ago” the reverend continued “Your mother had to rush back to the country to be with her dying father, incidentally she was pregnant with you and so, you were born in the country”
Osi wondered why the reverend was recounting his own history to him, in fact everything the reverend knew about him, he was the one who had told him.
“Interestingly, your mother’s father got better the moment you were born and would live for another decade, meaning his time had not yet come at the time”
The reverend drummed his fingers on the desk “You see, we serve a mysterious God, he works in mysterious ways, do you believe if your mother hadn’t come back when she did, you would have been born over there and as a citizen, you wouldn’t remain in this country but would be living there as we speak”
Osi nodded “That’s true…I know”
“Also you never would have met me, and more importantly you might not have met Christ” he cleared his throat and Osi waited for the punch line “But the interesting thing is you would not be ale to go for this assignment God has placed in my heart for you”
This time Osi sat up “Assignment…..what assignment?”
“You are going to lead the rural uplifting crusade”
“Me? but what about evangelist Tomori?”
“This assignment is for you” the reverend waved his question off “The Lord wants to use you for great works”
Osi was silent for some seconds. Finally he said “How long is the cusade?”
“It would last for a week”
“Who would accompany me?”
“Your team of youth leaders and deacon Oforbuike as well”
Osi winced when he heard of the deacon. The deacon disliked him immensely and didn’t bother to hide it. According to him, osi was too free and wordly to be a pastor, to be the head of the youths. He was more qualified for the position but still remained a deacon. Osi had been chosen.
The reverend fired on, oblivious to his thoughts “We would be hosted by a dear friend of mine: pastor Bartholomew, he has assured me of maximum hospitality”
Osi nodded for the umpteenth time that afternoon. So be it, he was a leader and he had to be firm. He couldn’t let anyone (The deacon) get under his skin.
“One question sir….where is the crusade taking place?”
“Amaife”

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Slimberry123(f): 8:42pm On Aug 10, 2017
I have a feeling the devil might be pastor bartholomew or the white man.. Fingers crossed for more updates.. weldone solohuo

3 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by absoul: 9:50pm On Aug 10, 2017
Mobecs maryclaire1 igyeseh bakeuhappy castleberry jazmynne damselbae donteanz meneski mrlemuel smokeydrinky nanadeeva01 raintaker frankenstein slimberry123 rachealfst debbycreamy olufemiwhit nabla queenitee vakjay08 kimkardashian modik iamloyalty rhayne kunbeex soulminister heemah osch10 nnmaglit forzarush sofiaamrozia vincad misselocon bibijay123 samexdx deview001 your analysis and comments have been priceless gracias!

P.s: had to post with this, cant let the ban disrupt the flow.

Chapter 4

They had paired themselves in twos, Osi went with Ovie leaving Gregory and Bukky as a team.
The deacon was a lone ranger he said he'd rather be alone but Osi affirmed-rather firmly that he would be joined by pastor Bartholomew later in the day.
Evangelism wasn't show business.

The day was bright, the sun was on full blast and Osi took a deep breath as he bounced on his heels on the porch. He felt refreshed...recharged....energized..
"So we'll cover the market square..while you and Bukky would take the other direction, towards the stream" Ovie said to Gregory as Bukky handed them bunch of fliers and tracks to be shared to the villagers.

"I'd be going towards the market square too" the deacon announced.
Osi jumped in "That's a good idea, I think today should be the market day, there'd be more crowd"
He paused, a thoughtful look on his face.
"You know what...I'd rather Ovie and I took the other path and the three of you go straight to the market square, we would double back and join you there"
"That sounds fine with me" Gregory agreed
The deacon shrugged. For the first time he seemed to agree with Osi.

°•°•°•°•
"....I accept you this day, amen"
"I accept you this day, Amen"

Osi opened his eyes and smiled at the young boy he had just prayed with. "Congratulations friend, you're a new person!"
The young boy who was about 14 shook his hand excitedly and skipped off.
Osi watched him for some seconds then went in search of Ovie.

He saw him ahead talking to an elderly woman. He was speaking to her and she had an intense look on her face. He hoped it was a look of concentration not confusion because he knew Ovie's Igbo was not very good.

He couldn't see any other person to preach to at the moment and decided to find a shaded spot to relieve himself.
Suddenly all the cups of tea he had drank during breakfast didn't seem like such a good idea. He had been urinating like a pregnant lady!

He sighed as he went deeper into the woods, which was strange as the path was deserted and there was no one to shield from.

He closed his eyes as he struggled with his zipper, humming the tune of a hymn.

The zipper must have gotten hooked on the material because it wasn't moving freely. He opened his eyes and looked down.

His eyes darted to the right, he saw something peculiar and focused back on his zipper but his eyes swung back again as the image registered in his mind.

He saw a hand, just a hand protruding from inside the bush.
He almost screamed like a girl, he actually jerked like a girl and would have screamed too but his voice was much too deep to pull of the kind of scream his shock warranted.

He turned away, hurrying out of the woods but then he stopped.
He was a pastor, he owed it to whoever lay dead in the bush to offer at least a prayer.

He had never seen a dead body before and even as he thought about the cause of death, he knew what had happened, she had been raped...raped and beaten to death.

'This is a crime scene....I have to be careful' He didn't know where the thought had come from but he studied the surroundings for the first time.
He thought the ground looked rough, he bent down and noticed some broken twigs and concluded a struggle and the deadly act had occurred here.

Slowly, keeping a lot of space between him and the body, he turned a semi circle till he could get a good view of the body.
He moved closer.
He was not prepared for what he saw....
He was horrified!

Her face..was no longer a face, it had been brutalised and pounded shapeless. He forced himself to study the face, wondering how he was able to stomach such a sight. He was seeing signs of blunt force trauma, some kind of object had to have been used, it couldn't be a fist...if not it would have to be a very large and strong...no, there waw no way a fist was responsible for this ungodly sight.

She was naked and he observed what he figured to he bite marks on her neck, breasts and...good Lord!

This was a crime of passion, a terrible crime of passion...an impossible crime. Whoever did this couldn't be human..
The killer had really lost himself this time.
Osi shivered as goosebumps spread all over his body.

He had seen enough!
He knew he would never forget this sight..
It would hunt his dreams.
He tuned away but looked back almost immediately, something had caught his eye yet again.
He squatted down and picked up the material.
It was a piece of clothe, pink material. The colour looked faded and the material looked washed like it had seen better days.
It was obviously a second hand material.
He wondered if it was connected to the body or if it was there by coincidence but....it had been too close to the body.
Plus it looked like it had been torn off some kind of clothe roughly..

He shut his eyes and prayed for the deceased, prayed she would find peace and her family be comforted.

Closing his eyes was one of the most difficult things he had ever done. The sight had shaken him badly and he felt like he could open his eyes and the body won't be there or worse..the body would be standing looking at him.

He rounded up the prayer and opened his eyes slowly, the body remained behind the bush...it wasn't a dream.

He would have closed the eyes if he could find them. What kind of rage could cause this?

"Pastor Osi...Pastor...pastor where are you?"
He heard Ovie's voice and hurried out of the woods.

°•°•°•°•
"Amara I don't have time...you buy the ingredients lemme just run to Mouka's shop so that she would finish my hair" Joy snapped rather rudely at her sister.
Amara nodded absentmindedly and her younger sister took off to get her cornrows braided.

Amara stood in front of a shop about to select a bowl of fresh pepper, she didnt notice the pepper was not fresh but was getting soft.
But she noticed a lot of other things..
She noticed Okudili from his spot under the tree as usual looking at her with a satisfied look on his face and this time the pig had his hand in his trouser.
She noticed the lady pastor and her colleague as they moved together opening bibles, sharing fliers and mixing with people.
She noticed pastor Osi was no where to be found...

And she noticed something that confused her and made her frown in thought:
Yesterday, at night Paul had asked Chinaza 'how is your father'
She had replied he was fine..
The question was how did Paul know about her father's ailment? His strange sickness had only started about 6 weeks ago and Paul had been away for almost 3 years...?

She shrugged, Oluchi must have told him about everyone in the village....

Suddenly she noticed some kind of commotion as Dé John emerged from the other end, he walked briskly with a pale look on his face.
The tall pastor followed behind, walking slowly with his fat friend.
They both looked like they had seen a ghost.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Mobecs(f): 12:12am On Aug 11, 2017
Hmmmm... I'm really liking this. Thanks for the mention Souloho19, and for the update.

2 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Mobecs(f): 12:14am On Aug 11, 2017
Paul had been away for 3years yet he knew abt something that started 6wks back, his informant must be REALLY GOOD.

3 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Segibambo(m): 8:00am On Aug 11, 2017
The devil is a pink wearing sissy

2 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Countrygirl(f): 8:10am On Aug 11, 2017
I'm not exonerating Paul but it's okay to ask about someone's family especially a family he knows.

Though his tensed mood when he accompanied chinaza to her house is suspicious. Only the writer knows who the devil is .

Keeping my eyes opened, weldone soul

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Igyeseh(m): 8:42am On Aug 11, 2017
Thanks Souloho19 for the mention and update.
I still maintain my initial stand that Ukudili is the devil we are reading about here because for the first time since I started reading this story, the writer describe UK looking at Amara with a satisfied look in his eyes.
That look alone convey different meanings....
1 it could that his main desire is Amara but since the opportunity has presented itself, he have to be satisfied with what he have acquired so far.
2. He could be looking at her, with a satisfied eyes, knowing that her time will surely come.
Well, Souloho19 is in the best position to unravel this mystery to us, lets just keep our fingers cross and see how everything will go.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Tolezy001(m): 8:42am On Aug 11, 2017
Soul you are 2much ....................
in ryback voice
FEED ME MORE

2 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Raintaker(m): 9:01am On Aug 11, 2017
Does Paul wear Okrika?
The devil is the one that wears Okrika.
So, there is a probability of the devil being economically disadvantaged.
Who else should be economically disadvantaged than a person who lives his life on alcohol.
Paul had been in s village before he made them know about his arrival, but he's not d devil.
Okwudili looks like d devil, but he's not.

Did you know, the white man might actually enjoy wearing Okrika?

The devil is the white man, they've always been evil.

I don try.

2 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by heemah(f): 9:04am On Aug 11, 2017
Thanks for your commitment. Waiting to read more....

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by donteanz(m): 9:06am On Aug 11, 2017
souloho19:
pls who is guruboi posting this story on waploaded
is ur brain paining you
Abegi, who so ever it is that is thiefing our story and go and be updating it on another site should take care because the thunder wey go fire your destiny never recieve pension for 14months. Soul make you no worry, divepen1 just dey carry out him statutory obligation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Tolezy001(m): 9:33am On Aug 11, 2017
The devil can never be paul because he doesn't wear second hand dress and he his not muscular like Steve and okudili

The devil is either steve or okudili

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Mobecs(f): 10:43am On Aug 11, 2017
okay.

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Nobody: 11:00am On Aug 11, 2017
meneski:
ohhhhh which kind suspence b dis na ehn? Souloho19 are u sure u aint the devil

Help me ask am o, because cold don dey catch me with fear.

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 11, 2017
Frankenstein:
What if the devil is Pastor Bartholomew? grin

Kai! This one rugged o.

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Nobody: 11:09am On Aug 11, 2017
I still think is Stevenson 1. That why chinsa didn't suspect him. 2. He wears a particular kaki trousers. 3. He knew pastor osi without been told. 4. The devil is into beastlity too and that act is common with europeans.
Still keeping my options open.

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Raintaker(m): 11:16am On Aug 11, 2017
iamloyalty:
I still think is Stevenson 1. That why chinsa didn't suspect him. 2. He wears a particular kaki trousers. 3. He knew pastor osi without been told. 4. The devil is into beastlity too and that act is common with europeans.
You are right. Clap for yourself.
Just wondering how the plot will end.
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Maryclaire1(f): 12:19pm On Aug 11, 2017
Thanks for the update soul even when the mod made it impossible for you to update for us u made it possible. God's blessing fall on you smiley........... me just dey read comment dey laugh grin.
Well all i know is that the devil is someone that is well known in the village and all the suspect thinks they can trust and with him they are save and one of the things i've come to admire about suspense or thriller writers is that the person whose character is not well use and the person we all feel is so innocent turns out to be the one smiley....so to me everyone is a suspect even pastor Bartholomew cheesy
Guruboi if u like yourself stop posting this story in your page if not it shall not be well with you, your family, and your entire generation nothing good would come to you angry angry no vex me ooo I just hate people like this angry

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by SofiaAmrozia(f): 2:35pm On Aug 11, 2017
Thanks for the update...
Please whoever it is, stop plagiarizing, it's somebody's hard work.
WRITE your own book, EDIT your own book, proofread it before posting it!!!!!
Sorry for the whole rant, I really hate it when someone steals a literature piece.
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Frankenstein: 5:54pm On Aug 11, 2017
iamloyalty:
I still think is Stevenson
1. That why chinsa didn't suspect him.
2. He wears a particular kaki trousers.
3. He knew pastor osi without been told.
4. The devil is into beastlity too and that act is common with europeans.

You are correct! Chinaza's reaction and the serial nature of the crime flags him out. Okwudili is a drunk and seems too dense for the calculative deviousness of the DEVIL.

But Stevenson has been living in the village for a while before the rape cum murders began. Was he always the devil or did something make him snap?

cc souloho19 grin

2 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 7:55pm On Aug 11, 2017
Lol oya lemme say the truth.
The devil is........

Dé John shocked grin
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 8:08pm On Aug 11, 2017

A voice was heard in Ramah,
Lamentation and bitter weeping,
Rachel weeping for her children,
Refusing to be comforted
Because they are no more.
-Jer 31:15

°•°•°•
"The pastor found her body"
"What of her father?"
"He had a stroke and died when he heard"
"How did he hear?"
"No one knows"
"Why does God allow this kind of thing to happen?"
"Who is this demon?"
"Chimoooooooo!"

There were many questions plaguing the land of Amaife.
The double tragedy had shaken the villagers to the core. Chinaza had been their daughter. Beautiful and hardworking, she took care of her father and was known to be very serious minded and determined.
For her to be killed in such a gruesome manner had been almost to impossible to fathom.
When her father went into stroke and died few hours later, everyone lost it.

The women ran outside the streets, weeping and wailing, half naked and tearing their blouses and wrappers.

The young men held bamboo sticks, broke tree branches and marched round the village shouting. But there was no one to vent their frustration on. The devil was in their midst, not just a needle in a haystack but a unique kind of straw amidst the hay.

In Pa Kenneth's compound, there was plenty shaking of heads and sighs. The village was in a state of turmoil and it was up to them to find a solution.

Osi and pastor Bartholomew were present. Osi sat on a bench staring blankly at a lizard on the wall as the image kept on replaying in his head.
Pastor Bartholomew paced before a group of women. Their hairs were scattered their clothes were torn, their eyes swollen and their feet bare.
They sat on the floor. Some cried, some wailed, some cursed, some shouted incoherently while some just stared, looking lost into space.

They were the mothers of the victims. Three of them: Mama Ozioma, mama Uchechi and mama Chisom. They mostly stared into space, lost in their world of grief.
The remaining women had accompanied them, breaking off from the rest to join the march to their leaders.

Their leaders were clueless. Dé John had tried speaking parables after parables but had soon given up. He was as lost and as bitter as they were.

Pastor Bartholomew had done the talking, quoting scriptures and prayer points to calm the women. He paced, his bible in his hand and a painful look in his eye as he spoke.
He looked at Osi for backup but Osi was lost in his own world.

Someone tapped him on his shoulder causing his eyes to finally leave the lizard sunning on the wall.
It was Dé Nwachukwu.
He gestured with his head that Osi follow him outside.

°•°•
"You're pastor Osi aren't you?"
"Yes..yes I am"
Dé Nwachukwu shook his head sadly "as you can see we have a tragedy on our hands..its very unfortunate"
Osi nodded, that was the only reply he could think off.

"I know my people..they are getting more agitated by the second, they need someone to vent the anger but they can't...no one knows who is behind this..."
Osi nodded again, he didn't know what the old man was trying to say.
"The thing is..it would be better if you lay low...maybe if you leave, as a stranger you could become an easy target, the youths are frustrated things are escalating, there's just too much pressure"

Osi took a deep breath. "I understand sir, thank you for your thoughts..however I can't leave until he who brought me here tells me to leave"
Dé Nwachukwu looked surprised "pastor Bartholomew?"
"No...the pastor acted under a higher authority, I mean God sir...the God I serve"
Dé Nwachukwu shrugged indifferently. "This your God...anyway I'd advice you to be careful when mixing with the natives..you need to thread carefully"

°•°•°•°•
The girls conveyed in Dé Nwachukwu's compound. Oluchi and two other girls: mama and Ezinne as well as Joy and all her friends which numbered almost a dozen.

Amara and the three girls (Oluchi, Mama, Ezinne) sat in Dé Nwachukwu's favourite spot: under the pear tree while joy and her friends had gone inside the house.
"I can't believe Chinaza is dead" Oluchi said in disbelief.
"And her poor father...may who ever killed her never know peace" Ezinne said with much chagrin. She had been quite close to Chinaza.
"The thing is I saw her last night and Paul and I even walked her close to her home safely, I don't know why she went back" Amara said sadly
"Eeya..she used to like Paul, always asking about him all the time and telling me to greet him" Oluchi shook her head sadly "Paul hardly even remembered her, talkless of to ask about her!"
"Where is your brother by the way?" mama asked
"I think he's with the youths rioting in the market square" Oluchi replied.

Amara was still trying to recover from the shocking news of the death. But something her friend said made her frown. She couldn't put her hand on it at the moment, her mind was on poor Chinaza and her father. May they both rest in peace.

°•°•°•
Okudili smashed his bottle on a tree and joined the chanting. He tore his shirt from his body(which wasn't that difficult considering the material had low quality)
"Yeee! We no go go gree oo"
Benedict was seen as the youth leader, an unofficial title he carried because he had that leadership quality:in this case: strength, popularity and a penchant for violence.

He owned an abattoir in the market where he slaughtered and sold beef.
He had always liked Chinaza and even though she had turned down his advances, he had always given her extra chunks of beef whenever she passed by the slaughterhouse.

When the news of her death had spread, it had taken only minutes for him to round up young men in the market square. They would have destroyed some things, they felt like destroying everything they saw and they might have to, if it didn't belong to them and their parents.

"This killer must pay!"
"He must confess!"
"We no go gree o!"

Okudili joined them, the hot he had just swallowed burning down his lungs.
"My brothers...my people...think very well...we all know who this person is"
They all fell quiet as they looked at him.
"What is it? You drunkard...nobody has time for tricks, speak up or forever remain silent!" Benedict shouted. His eyes had a deadly gleam in them.
"This white man in our midst...the one everybody loves and respects so much...we never used to suffer this attacks before he joined us...I say it! I say that white 'baboon' is the killer!"

Everyone was silent..they all liked the man but Okudili had a point. Their chanting broke down as they looked to their leader for direction.
Benedict was heavily influenced by his emotions. Right now he was ready to consider any argument that even painted Pa Kenneth as the killer.

He hit the bamboo stick on the ground.
And started marching, shouting "we no go gree o..we no go gree...!
The dozens of young men followed him as adrenaline soared.
Okudili smiled when he realized they were going towards Steve's house.
Good.
He never liked the man.

°•°•°•°•
Osi held Dé Nwachukwu's hand when the old man tuned to reenter the compound.
"Sorry sir...if I may ask...was any piece of clothe found at the site of the other..the other girls?"

Dé Nwachukwu looked at him strangely but frowned as he thought hard.
"The very first girl to be killed had been blindfolded with this piece of rag...and there was some kind of clothe around the second girl also...but the third was found in the stream...wait why do you ask?"
"Hold on sir..you say the first girl was blindfolded?"
"Yes she was"
"Can you show me her mother in there? I want to ask her some questions"
Dé Nwachukwu looked at him strangely "are you sure that's a wise path to take? You could easily be viewed as the enemy"
"Please sir...I'd like to speak to her and pray for her, nothing more"
The truth was one didn't just wake up and start committing these kind of crimes out of nowhere. There have to be a tipping point, a stressor and Osi strongly believed the first victim could answer a lot of unasked questions.

°•°•°•
"The crusade is over you know that? Its spoilt..brought to an early end, at least we had a nice service last night" deacon Oforbuike complained as he attacked his lunch.
They were holed up in the house. The frightening shouts from outside had made the driver bolt the door.
"Samuel hope there's fuel in the bus? We leave first thing tomorrow" the deacon announced.
Bukky spoke up jumping to her feet "speak for yourself sir...I came here to make an impact and I'm not just going to jump and run when they need me the most"

"Hmmm...I'm writing a report about your attitude, all of you...the Reverend must hear of this lack of respect!" The deacon threatened as he pushed his empty plate away.
"The least we can do is wait two more days for the communion service" Gregory said helpfully trying to dampen the tension.
"Who are we to be making plans when our leader isn't with us?" Ovie asked.
"Pray, do tell me where your so called leader is?!" The deacon shouted.
"For God's sake he found a dead body today!"
Bukky shouted back.

The shouting continued, everyone was riled up. Everyone in Amaife was on the offensive and angry.Everyone.

And somewhere the devil smiled...

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by ladysunshine94(f): 8:12pm On Aug 11, 2017
the devil is STEVENSON

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (84) (Reply)

All In A Circle.....(A crime story) / Deceitful Couple / False Pretenses <1ST POSITION, ROMANCE STORY OF THE YEAR AWARD, 2013>

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.