Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

Ten Things To Know Before Moving To China-china Life - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ten Things To Know Before Moving To China-china Life (1909 Views)

10 Things To Know Before Moving Abroad For Study - Nairalander Reveals. Photos / Air Peace 14-Hour Flight To China, Breaks Nigerian Aviation's Record / Top Ten Things You Should Know If You Have Never Travelled From Imo To Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Things To Know Before Moving To China-china Life by Mymobilespecs: 1:05am On Jul 26, 2017
Ten Things To Know Before Moving To China-China Life-What Is IT Like To Live In China Today-Living In China Tips-Expat Live In China

There are people moving to china,what is it like living in china?For people who are considering making a move,we have come up with 10 things you should know before moving to china.Read Carefully;

1: The televisions are not on the blink

After a long day at work in Shanghai, where I ran a window decor buying office, I would look forward to unwinding with a relaxing evening in front of the telly. Our TV had a very irritating habit, however, of intermittently shutting off, for just two or three minutes at a time, say once every three or four days. I noticed the same thing happened to the TV at my gym. Over a few pints with my friend Dominic, I complained about the irritating shortcomings of Chinese TVs. Dom chuckled and said:

“What were you watching in the gym when the TV suddenly lost reception?”

“A CNN report on speculation that Norway might give the Nobel prize to a Chinese human rights activist,” I replied.

“And when the TV went off at your house two nights ago?”

“A BBC World interview with the Dalai Lama…” The penny finally dropped. “Oh, I get it!”

If someone had just told me about the intrusive censorship before I went to China then I wouldn’t have wasted so much time worrying about defective televisions.

2: Choose your topics of conversation carefully

In the West we are usually at our indignant and argumentative best when criticising government policies and the politicians behind them. You should be aware, however, that criticising the Chinese government goes down like a lead balloon in the PRC.

The indoctrination in school and from the state media is very strong so if you are foolish enough to embark on a political conversation take care to remember the following:

Tibet has always belonged to China and the Dalai Lama is a troublemaker

The population of Hong Kong are a collection of Uncle Toms who were both delighted and relieved to be reunited with the motherland in 1997.
In the Second World War, the Japanese were defeated by the Chinese. The Americans did not fight the Japanese; however, if you push, it will be conceded that the Americans did drop a large bomb.
The Japanese are the devil’s spawn. The spontaneous uprising of the people to go and stone the Japanese consulate (actually orchestrated by the Chinese government) is fully justified therefore.
3: Be prepared to ditch your favourite clichés

Following on from above, you really do need to reconsider how appropriate your favourite throwaway lines are, now that you’ve moved to China.

One of my favourite retorts on being told that I couldn’t or shouldn’t do something was to say “Why not? It’s a free country!” A few months into my China posting I was persuaded to abandon this line and find a new, more appropriate retort. Unfortunately, “I acknowledge the need for a socially harmonious society and accordingly, I shall therefore temper my instinct to selfishly pursue my own interests,” just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

4: In winter, always go well wrapped up to restaurants and cafes

I wish someone had told me that, due to government decree, there is no central heating in public buildings south of the Yangtze river. This policy was intended to bring about huge savings in energy costs, though of course the realities of this diktat are ridiculous. For example, just a few miles to the north of Shanghai, the public buildings are toasty warm throughout the winter. However, in Shanghai itself, people are expected to happily shiver through freezing winter temperatures.

5: Familiarity might breed contempt

We tend to think that the repressed British are hardly a demonstrative bunch. Well compared with the Chinese we are almost French. As a foreigner in China, it is best to keep your behaviour as formal as possible, at least until you know someone really well.

6: It's not PC in the PRC

You’ll need to put your Western liberal se........continue reading at http://www.mymobilespecs.com/living-in-china/

CCC lalasticlala
CCC Mynd44

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ten Things To Know Before Moving To China-china Life by chukxie(m): 3:02am On Jul 26, 2017
Be ready to be stared at if you are black.
Be ready to have some total stranger touch your hair and ask you why your hair is kinky, why you look different...
Be ready to be asked very personal questions by total strangers...

3 Likes

Re: Ten Things To Know Before Moving To China-china Life by Nobody: 6:54am On Jul 26, 2017
chukxie:
Be ready to be stared at if you are black.
Be ready to have some total stranger touch your hair and ask you why your hair is kinky, why you look different...
Be ready to be asked very personal questions by total strangers...

grin This is funny
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Moving To China-china Life by chukxie(m): 10:43am On Jul 26, 2017
Pidgin2:

grin This is funny

True. Speaking from experience, bro!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Any Nigerian In Bangladesh? / Canada & Nigeria,which Guarantees Ones Future / Mistake On DS 160 Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.