Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,217 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:54 AM

LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? (4950 Views)

LIRS Begins Automated Collection Of Consumption Tax For Hotels And Event Centres / Dangote To Get 3-Year Tax Relief After Constructing Apapa-Oworonshoki Road / Dangote Denies Proposed 10-year Tax Holiday Rumor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by deturla: 10:43am On Jul 26, 2017
SMES please jump in here......

Have you received any letter recently from the Lagos State Internal Revenue Service (LIRS) asking for the receipt of mid-year salary projections for employee with respect to the 2017 tax year?

The LIRS has recently started requesting for such returns and they are relying on Section 46 of the Personal Income Tax Act, LFN Cap P8 of 2004, which states that:

The relevant authority may give notice in writing to a person when and as often as it think its necessary requiring him to deliver within a reasonable time limited by such notice fuller or further returns respecting any matter as to which a return is required or prescribed by this Act.

The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service also stated that the projections which covers the period July to December 2017 should include the following:

Start dates for new employees who were not on the payroll as at January 2017, where applicable;

Projections for routine salary increments and periodic bonus payable within the mid-year period under consideration; and

Salary schedule and bank instructions for voluntary remittances for the half-year ended 30 June 2017 for reference.

The returns should be submitted in hard and soft copies, to office of the Executive Chairman of the LIRS on or before 7 days of receipt of the notice from LIRS. Please note that the LIRS office would issue template in which the returns are to be submitted.

As soon as the LIRS officials receive the information from the employer, they would then schedule a meeting with the employer at the office to conduct necessary checks in order to ascertain the correctness of the information provided.

Have you received any letter related to this from the LIRS? Do not panic, just follow the clear instructions and feel free to ask questions here if you need further clarifications.

Check out more information on the tax blog for Nigerian SMEs:

https://www.taxprof.com.ng/smes-lirs-paye-mid-year-tax-review/

cc: lalasticlala, mynd44, davide470

1 Like

Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by veekid(m): 11:32am On Jul 26, 2017
Lagos is now second to UK abi?

1 Like

Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by Ajibel(m): 11:33am On Jul 26, 2017
Lagos is serious about this tax issue.
Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by Jerryojozy(m): 11:35am On Jul 26, 2017
It pays to pay our tax levy. Considering the developmental iniatives of Ambode, let's make him and his administration do more.

Genius J
Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 26, 2017
Everyone must pay tax, you can't be preaching tithe and forget tax.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by Virtualaccounts: 11:42am On Jul 26, 2017
LIRS and revenue drive.

You may need to visit the Virtual Accountant for guidance.

See my signature.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by deturla: 11:45am On Jul 26, 2017
Virtualaccounts:
LIRS and revenue drive.

You may need to visit the Virtual Accountant for guidance.

See my signature.

Nice, I love this concept. Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 26, 2017
its cool...
Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by wawappl: 12:04pm On Jul 26, 2017
lightning networks ikeja. the company i worked for more than 4 yrs. they will deduct the tax from my salary every month but no evidence to prove. u will soon hear frm me.

i think they were no remiting my tax

1 Like

Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by davodyguy: 12:06pm On Jul 26, 2017
Interesting.

I'm fully prepared.

I even get monthly sms from LIRS on balance or payment made via my TIN
Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by davodyguy: 12:08pm On Jul 26, 2017
wawappl:
lightning networks ikeja. the company i worked for more than 4 yrs. they will deduct the tax from my salary every month but no evidence to prove. u will soon hear frm me soon

Do you have employee tax card that looks like ATM card?
Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by davodyguy: 12:10pm On Jul 26, 2017
blueseacats:
Everyone must pay tax, you can't be preaching tithe and forget tax.

So true, including churches and Pastors.

The're treated as Charities, but with their universities and private business ventures earning more than the public higher institutions, they should be taxed.

Afterall the tax money belong to ceasar back then, now Naira belongs to the government.

1 Like

Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by 3Ceagle(m): 12:11pm On Jul 26, 2017
Lagos state government should develop a better system to bring more people in the informal sector to tax. While the formal sectors remains the highest contributor to tax (PAYE, WHT, etc) in Lagos, the government should be careful on putting so much declaration activities on them. Annual projection was submitted during the annual filing for 2016, why request for another half year projection for 2017. May been I am missing something.
Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by wawappl: 12:23pm On Jul 26, 2017
davodyguy:

Do you have employee tax card that looks like ATM card?
no sir
Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by davodyguy: 12:26pm On Jul 26, 2017
wawappl:
no sir

So no one is remitting tax on your behalf. The company needs to be queried.

2 Likes

Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by omowolewa: 12:38pm On Jul 26, 2017
LIRS should just make it a monthly affairs
Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by just2endowed: 1:36pm On Jul 26, 2017
davodyguy:

I can say many company in lagos do not pay or remit income tax to lagos state.
Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by 3Ceagle(m): 1:36pm On Jul 26, 2017
wawappl:
lightning networks ikeja. the company i worked for more than 4 yrs. they will deduct the tax from my salary every month but no evidence to prove. u will soon hear frm me.

i think they were no remiting my tax

They should at least provide for evidence sake, the monthly remittance schedule for Lagos and a receipt to back the totals. Mostly likely, they don't get audited by LIRS(not in the tax net) or settle their way out.
Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by Virtualaccounts: 2:01pm On Jul 26, 2017
davodyguy:

Not necessarily. It's possible the company has remitted but they didn't give the rmployee the form to complete to enable the processing of the cards.

The ex employee is required to send a mail requesting for his tax card. This will trigger the processing if they have paid otherwise he can take a legal step or write ato complain to LIRS.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by makkosky(m): 2:37pm On Jul 26, 2017
Good write up there.

with the ongoing LIRS PAYE, WHT Audit for the yeer 2016, do you think LIRS will take up the half year PAYE review?

Remember that their is an investigation on all hospitality organisations for their consumptions tax!!

Lets talk
Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by davodyguy: 5:28pm On Jul 26, 2017
Virtualaccounts:

Not necessarily. It's possible the company has remitted but they didn't give the rmployee the form to complete to enable the processing of the cards.

The ex employee is required to send a mail requesting for his tax card. This will trigger the processing if they have paid otherwise he can take a legal step or write ato complain to LIRS.

In my place, its a different approach. We demanded for our cards, cos even with cards, they failed to remit for over 1 year. My colleague wanted to travel, but the tax account was empty.
Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by Virtualaccounts: 5:44pm On Jul 26, 2017
davodyguy:

In my place, its a different approach. We demanded for our cards, cos even with cards, they failed to remit for over 1 year. My colleague wanted to travel, but the tax account was empty.

This is possible. However, you can pay your taxes and your card will still be empty. There's a process to update your taxes to your card. The tax payer (your company) is expected to submit an application to update tax information.

This is part of the services we provide our client a at virtualaccountant.ng.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by micolaj: 7:42pm On Jul 26, 2017
Virtualaccounts:

Please is it compulsory for employer to remit PAYE up to a year before demanding for etcc card on behalf of the employee?
Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by Virtualaccounts: 8:35pm On Jul 26, 2017
micolaj:
Please is it compulsory for employer to remit PAYE up to a year before demanding for etcc card on behalf of the employee?

Employers can demand for etcc on behalf of their employees only when they have filed their returns. Returns are filed for PAYE in January.
Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by Nobody: 12:40am On Jul 27, 2017
Good. Time to milk those useless developers who've been making shitloads of money in Lagos without paying taxes.

5 Likes

Re: LIRS PAYE Mid Year Tax Review: How Prepared Are You? by micolaj: 7:22am On Jul 27, 2017
Virtualaccounts:

Employers can demand for etcc on behalf of their employees only when they have filed their returns. Returns are filed for PAYE in January.
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

What Should I Import Starting With N10,000 Capital? / HOT BUSINESS IN GHANA – SPERM SELLING BUSINESS BOOMING IN GHANA / Western Union And Moneygram Transfer!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.